Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-29-2021, 12:49 PM   #14541
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post

Someone (Friedman?) mentioned the 4OA was available for a young d-man.
Seth Jones? If he's ok with playing for the Devils.
Old 06-29-2021, 12:51 PM   #14542
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Friedman has suggested that Jones might be headed to the Flyers who are "working on it" and I would think if you're looking at a Konecny/Ghost/Patrick type deal its there.

NHL Network radio (Kouleas & Bernstein) saying the rumor they have heard is Farabee, Myers & a pick.

Last edited by Toonage; 06-29-2021 at 01:43 PM.
Old 06-29-2021, 01:41 PM   #14543
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

It is a tough business, but Gio should be exposed and I think Seattle takes him.
They could retain and flip him immediately or hang on until the trade deadline. He is still a good player who could help many teams.

For the Flames, I would not throw assets to protect Gio. I would, however, look at Seattle as a trade partner for one of the 8 or 9 defensemen they will pick in the draft. Most of these guys should be decent 4/5 options, which isn't that far off where Gio is now.

Vegas picked up a bunch of defensemen and then traded Methot, Emelin, T. van Reimsdyk and Schlemko for various picks. The Flames could pick up something to bolster the blueline, for say something like a third rounder.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Old 06-29-2021, 01:45 PM   #14544
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Friedman has suggested that Jones might be headed to the Flyers who are "working on it" and I would think if you're looking at a Konecny/Ghost/Patrick type deal its there.

NHL Network radio (Kouleas & Bernstein) saying the rumor they have heard is Farabee, Myers & a pick.
I thought I read Farabee was one of the only untouchables on the Flyers?

Columbus certainly looks to be headed toward a rebuild.
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2021, 01:47 PM   #14545
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Yeah I'm waiting to hear them address where they heard or read that rumor.

That said, seems like a lot of smoke around Seth Jones & Philly
Old 06-29-2021, 02:35 PM   #14546
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post

If you are trading for a Seth Jones (and presumably signing him), there are no untouchables.
The Following User Says Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2021, 03:58 PM   #14547
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not a huge fan of trading any 3rd or 2nds this draft. There is a good chance that the panny scouting will allow top players to fall further then normal. This range is the lottery range imo.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2021, 04:24 PM   #14548
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting Banana Slug View Post
It is a tough business, but Gio should be exposed and I think Seattle takes him.
They could retain and flip him immediately or hang on until the trade deadline. He is still a good player who could help many teams.

For the Flames, I would not throw assets to protect Gio. I would, however, look at Seattle as a trade partner for one of the 8 or 9 defensemen they will pick in the draft. Most of these guys should be decent 4/5 options, which isn't that far off where Gio is now.

Vegas picked up a bunch of defensemen and then traded Methot, Emelin, T. van Reimsdyk and Schlemko for various picks. The Flames could pick up something to bolster the blueline, for say something like a third rounder.
The only way I throw assets is if I think Calgary could get more at the TDL than the assets they spend on Seattle not taking him. In other words if they think they can do better at the TDL than Kylington + whatever pick they’d give to Seattle, they should make that investment.

Of course this year’s TDL was all over the place. Does Gio get a Nick Foligno return or a Taylor Hall return or a Brandon Montour return? All of which requires a forecast of how good Gio will be at that time.
Old 06-29-2021, 04:48 PM   #14549
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
The only way I throw assets is if I think Calgary could get more at the TDL than the assets they spend on Seattle not taking him. In other words if they think they can do better at the TDL than Kylington + whatever pick they’d give to Seattle, they should make that investment.

Of course this year’s TDL was all over the place. Does Gio get a Nick Foligno return or a Taylor Hall return or a Brandon Montour return? All of which requires a forecast of how good Gio will be at that time.
But we all know we will be a bubble team at the next trade deadline and Tre will keep them and use the phrase as “our playoff rentals”
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrMike For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2021, 05:01 PM   #14550
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the Flames are in a difficult situation next season when it comes to the defence. Here is my take (which I know is NOT going to be very unpopular here).

After losing Giordano to the expansion draft (and barring any other acquisitions), the Flames will limp into the season with 3 #4 defencemen.

Yes, that's what they have. I think they are missing a #1, a #2 and a #3 defencemen.

I believe your #1 and #2 defencemen have to be 2-way defencemen that are capable of putting up points, and generating offence. Giordano and Brodie were excellent at this as a unit. They have to be good defensively and offensively. They have to help you not lose games, but they also have to help you win games.

The #3 defencemen. What is he? I think it is like a 1 or 2, but maybe a bit of a question mark defensively. Not awful, just not as competent. He should have some offensive ability to say the least, and you can pair him with a guy like Tanev to form a really good pairing (which I think is Giordano - Tanev now).

I think Hanifin is a good #4 too - not a whole lot of offensive ability, but strong defensively and a strong skater. Tanev is a #4 to me too - elite defensively, but weak on offence and in the transition. Andersson to me is a weaker #4 - I think he suffers from a lack of footspeed and gets caught defensively, and though he has a wonderful shot, hasn't learned to get it off quick enough and doesn't seem to have much in the way of offensive vision or creativity (which is what made Brodie excellent as a #2).

They were already at the bottom 1/3rd or bottom 1/4 of the league in offence from defencemen. I don't see it improving. Tanev is not suddenly going to find an offensive side to his game. Hanifin doesn't have a shot - wrister or slapper - that is dangerous, and he doesn't have Brodie's vision and playmaking ability to make him a quick-transition type of D. Andersson is slow on his skates, and though this may sound a bit rude, kind of slow in the brain (just seems to take too long in making the right decision, and seems to almost telegraph his intentions before actually committing).

I don't have any confidence in the Flames' D.

They are going to be one of the worst offensive D-corps in the league next year - bottom 5 for sure - unless they find someone to be a #1 and a #3, IMO.

If the Flames are trading for Eichel in the Tkachuk swap we all talk about, I would include Andersson here. I would prefer keeping Hanifin as I think his footspeed makes him a much more dependable defencemen.

Of course it won't be just Tkachuk and Andersson for Eichel - more moving pieces than that to be sure.

Then you move Monahan (and maybe a +) for a decent 2-way defencemen. I don't know who, but someone who is decent defensively, and will put up 45points in a good year.

Then you have to decide - offer Seattle something to retain Giordano, or sign someone like Barrie (yuck) to back-fill. The most I would offer Seattle is a 2nd and a 3rd to select Kylington (who isn't really an asset to the organization as he has had little development opportunity in the last 2 seasons, and it isn't likely to change with Sutter seeming to prefer Mackey and Stone).

If Seattle rejects that, take Giordano, and try to sign Barrie (yuck). I think Barrie is going to come way to expensive, but the one saving grace out of him is that he would probably be decent with Tanev, who is elite at defence. You then hope that pairing works. I don't want to guess at that contract though.

Flames have not drafted and/or developed enough defencemen lately. I think Treliving really dropped the ball on defence, and it has caught up to the team. I don't want to see a 1st being moved to Seattle to retain Giordano - that's stupid. A 2nd and a 3rd seems expensive, but what are you going to do when the best defencemen on the team is your 38 year old captain? There should have been a bit more foresight and planning on replacing the Giordano - Brodie - Hamilton.

Well, one good news for next season - nobody is going to be disappointed by the Flames. Lots of years there is talk about the Flames having the best defence in the league, only to disappoint. Well, the Flames for sure won't be talked about among the teams with the best D-corps, so there is nothing to be disappointed about.

This is what I think the greatest weakness on the Flames that people don't talk about.

The Flames can't afford to include trading a defencemen away for a forward. However, there is no way that ANY defencemen in the Flames' org is untouchable. It has to be rebuilt. You can keep a few pieces - Hanifin and Valimaki for sure - but you have to bring new pieces in. It is an awful D-Corps now, and it will be worse next season, unless at least 2 defencemen take BIG steps forward.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2021, 05:01 PM   #14551
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting Banana Slug View Post

What if it cost a third to protect Gio? Wouldn't you just do that?
The Following User Says Thank You to blender For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2021, 05:02 PM   #14552
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
I'm not a huge fan of trading any 3rd or 2nds this draft. There is a good chance that the panny scouting will allow top players to fall further then normal. This range is the lottery range imo.
Guys like chase stillman, Josh Doan, Sasha pastujov, Sam helenius, Jack peart, Alexei heimosalmi, Colton dach, and even Stankoven are generally available around those picks. I definitely concur there's some gold to be mined in this draft in particular.
Old 06-29-2021, 05:13 PM   #14553
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blender View Post
Maybe? But part of the deal would be a cap saving if they pick up another player, presumably making less than $6.75mm. If they pay assets to keep Gio, it means keeping the cap hit and still losing another player.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Old 06-29-2021, 05:17 PM   #14554
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Jack View Post

I’d be kicking tires on Arvidsson as well the dude is a gamer and is in need of a change of scenery but truly does have that 60 point ability he exhibited in back to backs a few years ago. RH shot right winger too and a Swede so he checks a ton of boxes for Calgary.
I like Arvidsson too, and he fits a need. But I expect the Preds would want a young cost-controlled player coming back. And they’re pretty set at D. So that leaves… Dube? Mangiapane? Unfortunately, I don’t see an obvious match.

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 06-29-2021 at 05:26 PM.
Old 06-29-2021, 05:53 PM   #14555
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
I think the Flames are in a difficult situation next season when it comes to the defence. Here is my take (which I know is NOT going to be very unpopular here).

After losing Giordano to the expansion draft (and barring any other acquisitions), the Flames will limp into the season with 3 #4 defencemen.

Yes, that's what they have. I think they are missing a #1, a #2 and a #3 defencemen.

I believe your #1 and #2 defencemen have to be 2-way defencemen that are capable of putting up points, and generating offence. Giordano and Brodie were excellent at this as a unit. They have to be good defensively and offensively. They have to help you not lose games, but they also have to help you win games.

The #3 defencemen. What is he? I think it is like a 1 or 2, but maybe a bit of a question mark defensively. Not awful, just not as competent. He should have some offensive ability to say the least, and you can pair him with a guy like Tanev to form a really good pairing (which I think is Giordano - Tanev now).

I think Hanifin is a good #4 too - not a whole lot of offensive ability, but strong defensively and a strong skater. Tanev is a #4 to me too - elite defensively, but weak on offence and in the transition. Andersson to me is a weaker #4 - I think he suffers from a lack of footspeed and gets caught defensively, and though he has a wonderful shot, hasn't learned to get it off quick enough and doesn't seem to have much in the way of offensive vision or creativity (which is what made Brodie excellent as a #2).

They were already at the bottom 1/3rd or bottom 1/4 of the league in offence from defencemen. I don't see it improving. Tanev is not suddenly going to find an offensive side to his game. Hanifin doesn't have a shot - wrister or slapper - that is dangerous, and he doesn't have Brodie's vision and playmaking ability to make him a quick-transition type of D. Andersson is slow on his skates, and though this may sound a bit rude, kind of slow in the brain (just seems to take too long in making the right decision, and seems to almost telegraph his intentions before actually committing).

I don't have any confidence in the Flames' D.

They are going to be one of the worst offensive D-corps in the league next year - bottom 5 for sure - unless they find someone to be a #1 and a #3, IMO.

If the Flames are trading for Eichel in the Tkachuk swap we all talk about, I would include Andersson here. I would prefer keeping Hanifin as I think his footspeed makes him a much more dependable defencemen.

Of course it won't be just Tkachuk and Andersson for Eichel - more moving pieces than that to be sure.

Then you move Monahan (and maybe a +) for a decent 2-way defencemen. I don't know who, but someone who is decent defensively, and will put up 45points in a good year.

Then you have to decide - offer Seattle something to retain Giordano, or sign someone like Barrie (yuck) to back-fill. The most I would offer Seattle is a 2nd and a 3rd to select Kylington (who isn't really an asset to the organization as he has had little development opportunity in the last 2 seasons, and it isn't likely to change with Sutter seeming to prefer Mackey and Stone).

If Seattle rejects that, take Giordano, and try to sign Barrie (yuck). I think Barrie is going to come way to expensive, but the one saving grace out of him is that he would probably be decent with Tanev, who is elite at defence. You then hope that pairing works. I don't want to guess at that contract though.

Flames have not drafted and/or developed enough defencemen lately. I think Treliving really dropped the ball on defence, and it has caught up to the team. I don't want to see a 1st being moved to Seattle to retain Giordano - that's stupid. A 2nd and a 3rd seems expensive, but what are you going to do when the best defencemen on the team is your 38 year old captain? There should have been a bit more foresight and planning on replacing the Giordano - Brodie - Hamilton.

Well, one good news for next season - nobody is going to be disappointed by the Flames. Lots of years there is talk about the Flames having the best defence in the league, only to disappoint. Well, the Flames for sure won't be talked about among the teams with the best D-corps, so there is nothing to be disappointed about.

This is what I think the greatest weakness on the Flames that people don't talk about.

The Flames can't afford to include trading a defencemen away for a forward. However, there is no way that ANY defencemen in the Flames' org is untouchable. It has to be rebuilt. You can keep a few pieces - Hanifin and Valimaki for sure - but you have to bring new pieces in. It is an awful D-Corps now, and it will be worse next season, unless at least 2 defencemen take BIG steps forward.
Hanifin has #1 D written all over him. He was on the shut-down pairing with Tanev all year. He was not asked to score he had almost 5 ppp /60 compared to Gio's 3.6 and Andersson 2.5

Andersson getting so much time on the PP looks like the Flames trying to pump him up after signing him to a HUGE contract that he didn't earn.

Always remember, I know its hard, that Andersson is older by 3 months than Hanifin.

Also there might be a chance that Valimaki has been humbled enough to get his work ethic back. Being the best player in the Finnish ECHL equivalent league messed up his head.
Old 06-29-2021, 06:15 PM   #14556
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

The only way Hanifin has #1 D written all over him is in pen.
Old 06-29-2021, 06:33 PM   #14557
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

If the Devils or Kings wanted to overpay for Hanifin I’d consider it. It would allow us to protect Gio and also grab a top end prospect with an ELC. It would be nice to have that ELC for the next 3 seasons, and hopefully a franchise player. Would love to have a homegrown D in the system. Valimaki is getting there, but I think he would be better off as the #3 when he hits his potential. I would love to get one Clarke/Hughes/Power/Edvinsson.

4th OA+ would the ask. Idk what the + would need to be.
Old 06-29-2021, 06:39 PM   #14558
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

The only way they trade Hanifin is if they do a full rebuild, which they won't. But if they do and you get offered 4th overall for him, the + from them only needs to be a Christmas card or a firm handshake.
Old 06-29-2021, 07:33 PM   #14559
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post

Apparently they are out on Eichel, but I still think a 2-3 year re-tool makes sense.

Roslovic 24
Bjorkstrand 26
Laine 23

Werenski 23
Gavrikov 25

Elvis 27(or Korpisalo 27)

A number of promising young D and F. It's not

Their division is impossible to compete in right now, but in 2-3 years?

Convert Jones, Domi, Jenner, etc. into best value available. If Roslovic and the D continue to bloom, they could be well positioned to be aggressive in next year's big UFA class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post

This probably boils down to definitions, but I think we are closer to three #2/3 D-men and a wildcard in Valimaki.

Are there 96 defencemen better than Hanifin/Tanev/Andersson?
Old 06-29-2021, 07:36 PM   #14560
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blender View Post
No.

The most I'd spend is a 5th.
The Following User Says Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread