Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-2016, 06:09 PM   #1
taco.vidal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Default German police hunt for group of up to 1,000 men 'of Arab and North African origin'

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...rican-men.html

This has started to gain more attention from major media outlets around the world and the facts seem pretty consistant on what occurred that night. The twist is that some outlets are reporting accusations of a cover up. I won't post those as you can find those yourselves through Google News.

Its hard to deny Europe is experiencing difficulty from the recent immigration wave.

Quote:
German women report string of sexual assaults by 'Arab and North African men'

Mayor of Cologne to investigate "outrageous" series of New Year's Eve attacks on women by large gangs of men “of Arab or North African appearance”

By Justin Huggler, Berlin12:03PM GMT 05 Jan 2016

Police in Germany are investigating an alarming series of sexual assaults on women trying to celebrate the New Year by large groups of single men “of Arab or North African appearance”.

Authorities in the city of Cologne are to hold a crisis meeting on Tuesday after police described a group of some 1,000 men who took over the area around the main station on New Year’s Eve.

Women were robbed, groped, and had their underwear torn from their bodies, while couples had fireworks thrown at them.

Police have received 90 criminal complaints, around a quarter of them for sexual assault, including one case of rape.

Police in Hamburg say there was a series of similar incidents in the city’s Reeperbahn red-light area. Witnesses described groups of five to 15 men of who “hunted” women in the streets.

In Cologne, the attacks took place around the main station, opposite the cathedral, a traditional gathering spot to see in the New Year.
taco.vidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 06:17 PM   #2
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

What do you mean when you say there are coverups? News stations are covering up the fact they are foreigners, or that the attacks happened at all?
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 06:24 PM   #3
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
What do you mean when you say there are coverups? News stations are covering up the fact they are foreigners, or that the attacks happened at all?
Apparently nothing was being reported at all until the social media noise about the lack of coverage got loud enough.

edit: correction, it seems like the anger is the refusal by media or officials to report the connection in ethnicity.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...ve-sex-attacks

Quote:
Authorities and media were accused of a cover-up linked to initial indications that, according to the police, those allegedly responsible for the sex attacks and numerous robberies were of Arab and north African origin.

Last edited by nik-; 01-05-2016 at 06:29 PM.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 06:57 PM   #4
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

I honestly can't say this surprises me.

When you allow waves of un-vetted immigrants from countries that view women as property, and less than human, this isn't surprising.

I agree that many people from these countries deserve safe haven. But many of them also belong in the turmoil exactly where they came from, and deserve it. The notion they are going to leave behind bass-ackwards ideals and views towards women over night, and integrate into a progressive western society, especially one as advanced as Germany, is absurd, and this is what you are going to get.

I can't fathom how anyone thought opening up borders like this was only going to bring in only the sad, weak and persecuted individuals from these countries. As much as I agree with helping those that deserve the help, the rights and safety of the women of Germany trump all of it.

There is no defending the actions of these men in any way shape or form, regardless of what side of the debate you are on. Cultural ignorance or not. Any man caught should be deported back to their home country, regardless of the risk to their lives. You had your chance, and you blew it. Have fun dodging mortar shells and IED's back home.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to pylon For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2016, 07:01 PM   #5
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

1000 men?? Sounds legit.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 07:10 PM   #6
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

"Up to" Is the key there if you read the article. I think with the size of the problem, it would be pretty difficult to say 932 men, exactly and precisely.

And in fairness to the article, I don't see anyone finger pointing at Syrian refugees specifically. But it just seems odd, a bunch of long term, naturalized, German men would concoct a plan like this should it turn out to be a legit story.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 07:27 PM   #7
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Even 500 is absurd.

Maybe I'll be proven wrong but a group of 500 people running around town sexually assaulting woman would seem to be pretty easy to notice.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 08:05 PM   #8
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

I was in Frankfurt at the time and have relatives in Koln, and we heard nothing about this in the news or social media. Have to say I'm a bit skeptical.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-35231046

Last edited by troutman; 01-05-2016 at 08:09 PM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2016, 08:19 PM   #9
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post
The notion they are going to leave behind bass-ackwards ideals and views towards women over night, and integrate into a progressive western society, especially one as advanced as Germany, is absurd, and this is what you are going to get.
I've often kind of wondered how they'd do adapting to Japan's culture, personally.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 08:28 PM   #10
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do we know were Cosby was?
afc wimbledon is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2016, 08:29 PM   #11
Dan02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
I've often kind of wondered how they'd do adapting to Japan's culture, personally.
Japan won't take refugees.
Dan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 08:32 PM   #12
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

What a bizarre story, pretty alarming. Not really much detail about whether it was a coordinated effort by a large group of these men, or just smaller pockets of these men doing this coincidentally. Certainly points to some serious issues that could be coming out of the migrant issue in Europe. The migration issue there is totally out of control, and I say that as someone who supports bringing refugees (properly screened) to Canada.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 08:33 PM   #13
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
1000 men?? Sounds legit.
This has been on the BBC all day.

It really doesn't seem that out of the realm of the possibility. You have camps set up with thousands of unemployed men. However, you right the numbers were probably exaggerated. I just re-read the BBC and they've pulled the 1000 figure form earlier today.

It also wasn't just sexual assaults. It was harassment, petty theft, and general up to no goodness. There were 90 reports to police, most of which were robberies. This all supposedly happened on New Years too.

Last edited by blankall; 01-05-2016 at 08:40 PM.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 08:43 PM   #14
acerbic_1
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Same sh*t's been going on in Sweden, Norway, Amsterdam etc. etc. ever since economic migrants (mostly Muslim) became an infestation. They roll in like they own the joint, expect (and receive) special treatment and the rest is history.
acerbic_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 08:54 PM   #15
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you've been to a Muslim country, this shouldn't be shocking. Many young men regard foreign women as sluts by default. I mean, what else to think of a woman who may have sex with multiple men before she's married? Who may even have sex with a man she just met that night? Put a few hundred men with this attitude together in a strange place, away from their families and seniors, and harassment can easily turn into a mob scene.

I don't think it's culturally chauvinistic to recognize that the West is about a century ahead of much of the world when it comes to sexual mores and independence. This kind of culture clash is only bound to get worse in places like Germany and Sweden, where it's not unheard of for women to sunbathe in their bras at public parks.

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 01-05-2016 at 08:56 PM.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 08:54 PM   #16
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

The fact that the media tries to cover it up makes you wonder what other stories the media prefers not to report.
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 09:02 PM   #17
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post
I can't fathom how anyone thought opening up borders like this was only going to bring in only the sad, weak and persecuted individuals from these countries.
People like simple, emotionally-satisfying narratives. Which is why we should never make decisions with long-term consequences in the first flush of irrational exuberance (or fear).

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 01-05-2016 at 09:15 PM.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2016, 09:17 PM   #18
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan02 View Post
Japan won't take refugees.
I am aware of that. I still wonder, if Japan did, how they'd adjust to the culture. It's a thought-exercise.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 09:18 PM   #19
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
I was in Frankfurt at the time and have relatives in Koln, and we heard nothing about this in the news or social media. Have to say I'm a bit skeptical.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-35231046
I think hearing nothing about it was part of the issue.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 09:19 PM   #20
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igottago View Post
What a bizarre story, pretty alarming. Not really much detail about whether it was a coordinated effort by a large group of these men, or just smaller pockets of these men doing this coincidentally.
I think the most disturbing part is that it probably was organized....

Quote:
What is particularly disturbing is that the attacks appear to have been organised. Around 1,000 young men arrived in large groups, seemingly with the specific intention of carrying out attacks on women.
I think Frau Merkel is going to be toast.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote