Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2017, 09:34 PM   #961
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto-matic View Post
@Rene Paredes‏
2years of the same BS. Unbelievable!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machiavelli View Post
What did Paredes say?
I know it's just a tweet and it isn't as obvious as McDaniels comments but nobody describes losing as BS unless they're pissed about something specific. That's not just anger about losing in general.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2017, 09:34 PM   #962
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Marquay McDaniel‏Verified account
@_McDaniel16
59s60 seconds ago
More
Y'all too sensitive on twitter lol. I never blamed anyone for the loss. Didn't throw anyone under the bus. If I fumbled I would've said it was stupid football.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 09:35 PM   #963
wwkayaker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machiavelli View Post
What did Paredes say?
Post 946
wwkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 09:35 PM   #964
streetglide
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Party Elephant View Post
Oh yeah I have been just as disappointed as you over the years. Over the span you listed we only had 4 losing seasons (1 of which we won the cup) but more often than not couldn't get it done in the playoffs. In that same span of years we've won more cups than Winnipeg, Saskatchewan, Hamilton, Montreal, BC, Ottawa, and Edmonton. The only team that has more since 1990 is Toronto, as of today. Anything can and does happen in a one game winner take all, sometimes the better team wins and sometimes they don't. Sure we could have won more over the years but the past is the past.
You know what, you're right. I'm just so pissed right now I can hardly think straight. Unlike most here I've loved the Stamps almost as much as the Flames. And, as mentioned, I spent this Grey Cup in Moose Jaw where, as you probably Know, isn't the friendliest place to watch the Stampeders in a Grey Cup game. To me Riders fans are like Oiler fans. Belligerent, arrogant and unbearable. I bleed Calgary red and I don't even live there. Never have actually. But I've always lived in central Alberta where it's a constant battle. I just wish I had more to brag about. Sorry for the sour grapes. I will never concede, I love Calgary and I always will. Just really sour on the CFL team right now.
streetglide is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to streetglide For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2017, 09:36 PM   #965
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
No doubt there are some Eskimos fans who feel Maas made the right call last week. Fandom is strange.
It sure is when fans of a team take solace in ripping each other.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 09:38 PM   #966
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
@_McDaniel16
59s60 seconds ago
More
Y'all too sensitive on twitter lol. I never blamed anyone for the loss. Didn't throw anyone under the bus. If I fumbled I would've said it was stupid football.
TSN.ca has some clips of the McDaniel interview (I shut it off after the game so I didn't see any of the post-game) -- just watched it. I didn't think his comments were as bad as some are making them out to be?
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2017, 09:39 PM   #967
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
Looks like even the players have had enough Of DDs offensive calling.
Where are you hearing this?
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 09:40 PM   #968
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
@_McDaniel16
59s60 seconds ago
More
His effort to make a tackle on the ensuing return was well very patheic and embrassing. That's all Ill say about that.

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 09:40 PM   #969
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricosuave View Post
Thanks, I think this is the cognitive bias that applies:

Need to act fast - To act, we must be confident we can make an impact and feel what we do is important.

Taking the high-odds play wouldn't make enough of an impact. Anyone could have called the safe plays. Dickenson felt he needed to make a difference by calling a play that was not obvious.

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 11-26-2017 at 09:43 PM.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2017, 09:40 PM   #970
ricosuave
Threadkiller

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
His effort to make a tackle on the ensuing return was well very patheic. That's all Ill say about that.
https://mobile.twitter.com/BlueBombe...4562111688706?

Last edited by ricosuave; 11-26-2017 at 09:42 PM.
ricosuave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 09:41 PM   #971
Cowboy89
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
Don’t know how guys like Messam and even BLM come back from this twice in a row in the big game.
Messam doesn't come back from this one. He's a 32 year old RB, by September next year he won't be on a CFL roster even if he decides to come back. Bo Levi is young and he has won before, he'll be back. Winning in 2014, probably makes it slightly easier.

That all said this is the kind of loss that sets a franchise back a great deal. Making off-season moves will be very difficult for Huff. Say what you want about Dickenson, but his coaching is a good reason for the Stamps being where they are year after year (even when Huff was the coach). The right move by Huff would be to bring him back, shop for a new RB and jettison McDaniel. McDaniel's not wrong about Jorden, but the message has to be sent that you win and lose together no matter what. Cleaning house after this is the wrong move and a great way to find them needing some wins in October to play in the East Semi-Final. As hard as it's been to win the Grey Cup for this team it's harder to win the Grey Cup if you can't even get there.
Cowboy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cowboy89 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2017, 09:42 PM   #972
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rene Paredes‏Verified account
@RParedes30
52s53 seconds ago
More
got drug tested after a grey cup game. Not the best move @cfl @CFLPA If u win, can’t celebrate with ur teammates and if u lose it’s the last thing anyone wants be doing. What a joke.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 09:43 PM   #973
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ripping Dickenson is silly and taken out of context especially when there are so many variables especially in this game.
Far too many individual mistakes and then one bad Mitchell throw all game.

That series after the fumble return featured two drops and out. One by Messam.

Not every play is going to be for a TD and Stamps has Argos scrambling with a lot of passes to the flat all game, including the drive with the fumble. The Stamps and Mitchell and Dickenson has the ball marched down the field, dominating with a good mix of play calls, so ripping him is stupid.

Jordan gets tackled and doesn’t fumble the ball, nothing happens crazy on 2nd and goal, Stamps come out with points and game is over. Done.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to browna For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2017, 09:49 PM   #974
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

People calling for Dickensian head need to get real. I highly doubt that play called for a throw into double coverage. It was second and long, most people take a shot at the end zone and the kick the field goal on third. That pick is entirely on BLM trying to be the hero.
I do worry about this loss setting the franchise back, it's hard to get ppl to keep coming out to games in the summer we're we stomp these eastern conference teams just to lose to them three months later. Beyond frustrated right now
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 09:49 PM   #975
kevman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild GM View Post
The biggest risk to the Stamps is regular season apathy. And that’s a problem with the cfl in general. A long and seemingly meaningless regular season. Just get in and at that point it’s pretty much a coin toss in terms of who wins. Stamps fans may not have the patience to care about another 18 games next season when none of them matter if the team can’t close out championships. These chokes are miles worse than those in the 90s. Completely giving away titles.
Nobody else picking up on this post eh? This is 100% it to me lately. I grew up a Stamps fan. My folks have had season tickets for as long as I can remember. I used to go to every game in High School when they gave us our own seasons tickets. Doug Flutie was my childhood hero and I didn't miss a game in the Feterik years.

But I can't do it anymore. It's fun to catch a game live. But the sport lacks excitement form June through October. What's the point? Almost everyone is guaranteed a shot at the Grey Cup and the only games that matter are in November.

I'm not too upset about the Grey Cup - I didn't invest much time in it. I only watched one regular season game this year in it's entirety. Apathy has already hit me hard.

The 8-10 2001 Stampeders did what the 15-2-1 and 13-4-1 2016 & 2017 Stamps couldn't do - win in November. Same goes for the 2017 9-9 Argos and the 2017 8-9-1 RedBlacks. How does the CFL market an 18 game season when there are only 2-3 games that count?

As far as I'm concerned there are 20 preseason games in the CFL.
kevman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kevman For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2017, 09:52 PM   #976
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy89 View Post
Messam doesn't come back from this one. He's a 32 year old RB, by September next year he won't be on a CFL roster even if he decides to come back. Bo Levi is young and he has won before, he'll be back. Winning in 2014, probably makes it slightly easier.

That all said this is the kind of loss that sets a franchise back a great deal. Making off-season moves will be very difficult for Huff. Say what you want about Dickenson, but his coaching is a good reason for the Stamps being where they are year after year (even when Huff was the coach). The right move by Huff would be to bring him back, shop for a new RB and jettison McDaniel. McDaniel's not wrong about Jorden, but the message has to be sent that you win and lose together no matter what. Cleaning house after this is the wrong move and a great way to find them needing some wins in October to play in the East Semi-Final. As hard as it's been to win the Grey Cup for this team it's harder to win the Grey Cup if you can't even get there.
Well I meant more figuratively and mentally rather than physically for those guys.
The regular season last year and this year meant nothing. In general with the playoff format regular seasons mean little but with the Stamps as good as they are they were bored. This year they had last years Grey Cup to drive them through the reg season. And dominated the Argos as the better team all game. And handed it to them.

What’s the motivation for next year and regular season when it was a innocent play away to have the season crash down just like they, again, from a player or players perspective?

19 games away and 12 months - 1 day to get into the same position they were the last two years, but hope the single mistake doesn’t hit them out of the blue again? Really tough to get back in the mindset as a fan, never mind a player who works all year to get where they were the last two years, but just to get to the GC but to get to the GC and be within minutes of winning it twice.

Team psychiatrist will be working overtime until next November.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to browna For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2017, 09:54 PM   #977
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Messed had 6 fumbles in 2016 and 5 fumbles in 2017 on about 400 carries. So 2.5% of Messem carries end in fumbles.

Bo Levi Mitchell had 11 interceptions on 546 attempts.

Now this doesn't address fumbles after completions but calling a pass isn't really a risky play relative to a Messem run.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 09:56 PM   #978
OzSome
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Where are you hearing this?
AO never say anything good about DD so when a player say something he is assuming they are pointing at DD.
OzSome is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OzSome For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2017, 09:58 PM   #979
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

@kevman

How does any league that have playoffs market the regular season?

It's supposed to be entertaining.

Playoffs are easier in cfl to make but aren't guaranteed and fighting for home field still means something.

Plus, unless you are advocating for a euro soccer style league where regular season winner is the GC winner, then your point is meaningless. Who cares if 2 or 4 or even all 9 make the playoffs or how many games they play if you feel like the regular season is meaningless and only playoffs matter?

Would you feel better if the Stamps and Argos both went straight to the GC and the Stamps lost this way?

What if it was Stamps and Bombers in a 1 division league with no playoffs? Would losing this way feel better because you played a better team?

At some point a team needs to be better in the big games. And if you can only be a fan for big games then you probably don't enjoy the sport. You can't just play no regular season games because they aren't big enough. Not all games can be win or go home.

That being said, lots of cities lose interest when they have perennially great teams who can't win it all. Atlanta Braves, Detroit Red Wings etc. For lots of cities the fans barely care unless they get to the final or championship game because they are so used to winning the supposedly meaningless games. I think that's because expectations ruin the experience of a fun regular season. When you're so used to those games being meaningless it becomes hard to cheer as hard as you once did as a fan.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 11-26-2017 at 10:02 PM.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 09:59 PM   #980
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Messed had 6 fumbles in 2016 and 5 fumbles in 2017 on about 400 carries. So 2.5% of Messem carries end in fumbles.

Bo Levi Mitchell had 11 interceptions on 546 attempts.

Now this doesn't address fumbles after completions but calling a pass isn't really a risky play relative to a Messem run.
As I said earlier, I think the way BLM was throwing the ball all day, and on that drive with 2 completions and a drop on another great throw driving hem down the field, that he felt invincible a bit and decided to go for the knockout punch.
The Following User Says Thank You to browna For This Useful Post: