Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-18-2018, 10:54 PM   #121
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
That Fedotenko trade Won the lightning a cup - so as I fan I’d hope Feaster would make that trade every day of the week.

That second trade was actually still Dudley in 2000 and not Feaster yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by theslymonkey View Post
I also forgot to mention that most of those examples are pre-cap which has changed the landscape for most trades. The value of ELC and picks has increase dramatically now that every team has to play by the same rules.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
How dare you guys try to ruin the narrative!
The Following User Says Thank You to Samonadreau For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2018, 11:12 PM   #122
H2SO4(aq)
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I havent been really paying attention to the draft since we are basically skipping it this year, what’s the quality/ depth supposed to be? This a yakapov esq year or what? Heard often that Brady is poverty Matthew and yet he’s ranked 3rd?
Old 06-18-2018, 11:16 PM   #123
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2SO4(aq) View Post
I havent been really paying attention to the draft since we are basically skipping it this year, what’s the quality/ depth supposed to be? This a yakapov esq year or what? Heard often that Brady is poverty Matthew and yet he’s ranked 3rd?
Consensus high end 1 and 2 overall and then the next 5-7 or so are pretty tight. Top 2 or 3 rounds are supposed to be pretty deep.

But I agree wake me up when June ends.
Old 06-19-2018, 12:37 AM   #124
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2SO4(aq) View Post
I have heard that Brady may have more skill upside than Matthew and that the 1st round drops off after about the 7th pick. But the depth in general after in the rest of the 1st and 2nd round is decent. Lots of hair splitting at that point.

Just second hand hearsay though.
Old 06-19-2018, 07:35 AM   #125
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I have heard that Brady may have more skill upside than Matthew and that the 1st round drops off after about the 7th pick. But the depth in general after in the rest of the 1st and 2nd round is decent. Lots of hair splitting at that point.

Just second hand hearsay though.
I don't see how someone could predict that Brady has more skill upside. Matt's scoring numbers are better at every level. In this draft Matt would be neck and neck for 2OA I bet.
Old 06-19-2018, 07:39 AM   #126
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I don't see how someone could predict that Brady has more skill upside. Matt's scoring numbers are better at every level. In this draft Matt would be neck and neck for 2OA I bet.
Same reason Jared Stall had the most skill upside...
Old 06-19-2018, 08:32 AM   #127
wretched34
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Pretty sure it was Matt himself who said it in some interviews, and I really think it's just him pumping his brothers tires, because there is absolutely no evidence to back it up.

US National Under-17 Team
Matt GP: 33 G:5 A:12 Pts:17
Brady GP: 32 G: 4 A:4 Pts: 8

US National Under-18 Team
Matt GP 24 G: 13 A:20 Pts: 33
Brady GP 24 G: 12 A: 11 Pts:23

18 Year old Season
Matt - OHL - GP 57 G:30 A:77 Pts:107 Playoffs GP: 18 G:20 A:20 Pts:40
Brady - Boston U - GP 40 G:8 A:23 Pts:31

So, Matt and Brady put up similar goal totals on the US National development teams, but Matt blew him away in total points.

In their draft years, Matt put up a total of 50 goals and 97 assists for 147 points in his OHL Season/Playoffs, while Brady put up 31 points in college hockey.

NHLE shows 147 point in 75 OHL games to translate to 49.18 Points in the NHL. (First two season: 48pts, 49pts.)
Brady's 31 points in Hockey-East translate to 23.89 Points.

Matt Finished 5th in OHL regular season points, and second in the playoffs, 4 points behind linemate Mitch Marner
Brady didn't finish in the top 10 in Hockey East scoring, though was 4th in Assists.

I'm sure Brady will become a decent NHL player, but I see him being much closer to the development path of Sam Bennett than I do of his brother. 3 years from now, whoever drafts Brady Tkachuk top 5 is going to be complaining the same way some do about Bennett going #4.

Last edited by wretched34; 06-19-2018 at 08:41 AM. Reason: info
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wretched34 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2018, 08:36 AM   #128
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wretched34 View Post
Pretty sure it was Matt himself who said it in some interviews, and I really think it's just him pumping his brothers tires, because there is absolutely no evidence to back it up.

US National Under-17 Team
Matt GP: 33 G:5 A:12 Pts:17
Brady GP: 32 G: 4 A:4 Pts: 8

US National Under-18 Team
Matt GP 24 G: 13 A:20 Pts: 33
Brady GP 24 G: 12 A: 11 Pts:23

18 Year old Season
Matt - OHL - GP 57 G:30 A:77 Pts:107 Playoffs GP: 18 G:20 A:20 Pts:40
Brady - Boston U - GP 40 G:8 A:23 Pts:31

So, Matt and Brady put up similar goal totals on the US National development teams, but Matt blew him away in total points.

In their draft years, Matt put up a total of 50 goals and 97 assists for 147 points in his OHL Season/Playoffs, while Brady put up 23 points in college hockey.

Matt Finished 5th in OHL regular season points, and second in the playoffs, 4 points behind linemate Mitch Marner
Brady didn't finish in the top 10 in Hockey East scoring, though was 4th in Assists.

I'm sure Brady will become a decent NHL player, but I see him being much closer to the development path of Sam Bennett than I do of his brother. 3 years from now, whoever drafts Brady Tkachuk top 5 is going to be complaining the same way some do about Bennett going #4.
Also, remember when all of the Staal brothers always state how their younger brother was the best out of them all? I think this is just family being family.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to keenan87 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2018, 08:38 AM   #129
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
Also, remember when all of the Staal brothers always state how their younger brother was the best out of them all? I think this is just family being family.
PK always said the same about Jordan
Old 06-19-2018, 08:51 AM   #130
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machiavelli View Post
PK always said the same about Jordan
I can't find a quote and have no recollection of it but I will almost guarantee Gretzky said one of his brothers was better. Of course, Gretzky always pumps tires of every player he talks about. And he might have said it drunk.
Old 06-19-2018, 08:56 AM   #131
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wretched34 View Post
There's more to player projections that just translating USHL or CHL scoring to the NHL level. It's largely about projecting how a player's game will translate to the NHL once they're fully developed. Which is why you often see players who puts up piles of points in the CHL drafted lower than other players their age who up far fewer points.

In the case of Brady Tkachuk, he projects higher than his brother because he's bigger and a better skater.
Old 06-19-2018, 09:01 AM   #132
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

It is interesting though.

There were people dismissing Matthew as overrated because his offensive stats were "boosted" by Matthews in the USNTDP and Dovark and Marner in London.

Now that Brady has lesser stats not playing with some of the same talent, he is overrated because of his last name.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2018, 09:11 AM   #133
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
There's more to player projections that just translating USHL or CHL scoring to the NHL level. It's largely about projecting how a player's game will translate to the NHL once they're fully developed. Which is why you often see players who puts up piles of points in the CHL drafted lower than other players their age who up far fewer points.

In the case of Brady Tkachuk, he projects higher than his brother because he's bigger and a better skater.
Its easy to subconsciously use one brother as a comparable and perhaps overestimate the other's potential.

Jordan Staal over Toews, Backstrom ,and Kessel as an example.
Old 06-19-2018, 09:19 AM   #134
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

In Duha's latest interview with Treliving on the Athletic:

Quote:
But that’s where we’ve directed our energies. I’d rather take some value swings than give somebody six years at $6.5 million – if that makes any sense.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2018, 09:21 AM   #135
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Same reason Jared Stall had the most skill upside...
But what about Jarret Stoll.
Old 06-19-2018, 09:22 AM   #136
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

One good thing about the Sens being such an unrelenting tire fire is that maybe Mark Stone will ask to be traded as well. His buddy and former junior line mate play here, oh and also his brother.

Just sayin...
Old 06-19-2018, 09:23 AM   #137
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Value swings instead of over paying an aging UFA?

Sign me up.

Auston Czarnik come on down.
Old 06-19-2018, 09:25 AM   #138
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Maloney also said as much in an interview last week with Flames.com so this is clearly the plan moving forward regarding FA. Which is good.

So yeah, welcome aboard Derek Ryan?

That being said, if a 1 for 1 deal that evens out the money is there (say Brodie for Niederreiter as suggested on CP) the Flames could still make a splash.
Old 06-19-2018, 09:29 AM   #139
wretched34
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post

That's fair, but I feel like that is more often the case when you get a small guy, such as Gaudreau, who puts up huge points against kids, but you know may struggle playing against much larger men.

Brady and Matt are so close in size, I highly doubt the possible inch in height Brady may have on Matt is pushing him up the draft board. This isn't Freddie and Dougie Hamilton.
Old 06-19-2018, 09:31 AM   #140
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Stain View Post
Its easy to subconsciously use one brother as a comparable and perhaps overestimate the other's potential.

Jordan Staal over Toews, Backstrom ,and Kessel as an example.
But Brady was being touted as a top prospect before Tkachuk established himself in the NHL.
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread