Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2021, 08:23 AM   #281
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
Is it doing something to someone's property? It seems more like not making the effort to prevent something from happening?

What's everyone doing about the cats, deer, birds, raccoons and rabbits going to the bathroom in their yards? Society dictates humans go in toilets, so it's not really an equivalent when pets are supposed to go outside.
Wild animals which are (as the name suggests) “wild” cannot be controlled. You’re controlling your dog. You own the thing. Where it does it’s business is entirely your responsibility to control. Have it go on your yard.

Repeating someone else’s point: law aside, would you be fine if you knew a person was taking a piss or a dump on your lawn? It’s not different, because the dog isn’t wild. It’s not meant to “go outside” it’s meant to go “on your property”… because you own it.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2021, 08:36 AM   #282
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Wild animals which are (as the name suggests) “wild” cannot be controlled. You’re controlling your dog. You own the thing. Where it does it’s business is entirely your responsibility to control. Have it go on your yard.

Repeating someone else’s point: law aside, would you be fine if you knew a person was taking a piss or a dump on your lawn? It’s not different, because the dog isn’t wild. It’s not meant to “go outside” it’s meant to go “on your property”… because you own it.
I don't think it is possible to have complete control of where a dog decides to pee. I think it is best to attempt to avoid peeing in people's yards. But it's not always practical and I don't really have any respect for someone who is going to get pissed off and confront someone for their dog peeing on the edge of a large yard.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 08:42 AM   #283
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
I don’t think I’ve got an answer from Cliff so I’ll ask you, can I poop on your lawn? It’s no big deal!
It’s rude to let your dog poop on someone’s lawn, or anywhere else in public for that matter. That’s what poop bags are for. I always pick up after my dog.

But if someone’s dog pees on my lawn, or poops and then they pick it up, I don’t feel disgusted like Sliver says he does. That’s just neurotic.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2021, 08:43 AM   #284
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

I live near a dog park, and my lawn is destroyed each year by all the dogs pissing on the grass on the way by. And my garbage can is full of poo bags.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 08:47 AM   #285
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I mean sure - preferably the dog goes on my lawn but if another dog does his business on my lawn as long as the person cleans it up, what do I care. Its grass. Wild animals are out there doing their business all over the place out there.

I'd say if a dog doing this business on your lawn really riles you up that much - you may need something to occupy your time. I've been alive for a few years now and literally have never heard of people getting riled up about this until reading this thread.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PeteMoss For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2021, 08:48 AM   #286
Macman
Self Imposed Retirement

Exp:

Can't you pull your garbage cans inside your yard or garage, that would drive me nuts.
Macman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 08:49 AM   #287
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

I love the “can I poop/pee on your lawn?!” line.

Go for it. Feel free to answer the questions of anyone walking by with “their dog went on mine!” Don’t forget to bag your own s*** and carry it away.
Old 12-02-2021, 08:50 AM   #288
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:

Listen to yourself man. “You own the thing.”

Dogs have rights ya know. They are sentient creatures with feelings just like the rest of us. Well, like most of us.

My dog is a partner in our household and we would never *dare* try and coerce him into expelling his bowels in some designated zone to appease our delicate human sensibilities.

There’s a reason we call him a fur baby and tell people we have three children and not just two. And no it’s not because dog obsessed people are losers and should be culled from our society. It’s because we respect and honour the dignity of our pets, we value him as much as our children. Which definitely does not harm our children’s mental health.

We didn’t buy him so that we would have to control his behaviour and take responsibility for him. We bought him from a puppy mill because he’s photogenic and looks great in our photos. Dogs are so hot right now.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2021, 08:50 AM   #289
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman View Post
Can't you pull your garbage cans inside your yard or garage, that would drive me nuts.
Might have to do that, but it would be a hassle to remember collection days.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 08:52 AM   #290
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

I've seen some houses with a wood enclosure for their bins that has a lock. I assume thats for houses that have the same problem. But it would be a hassle to unlock it every time you used a bin
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 08:53 AM   #291
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
I don't think it is possible to have complete control of where a dog decides to pee. I think it is best to attempt to avoid peeing in people's yards. But it's not always practical and I don't really have any respect for someone who is going to get pissed off and confront someone for their dog peeing on the edge of a large yard.
Having owned dogs growing up: they pee where you let them pee.

It doesn’t really matter if say you’d have respect for the person or not. You already don’t by letting your dog do it’s thing on their yard. It’s not some horrific act or anything, it’s just lacking respect. I find the majority of dog owners lack it though.

Like let’s face it, people are avoiding the scenario because they don’t like it, but you’d be pissed (no pun intended) if you found out a guy was using your lawn as a urinal every night he was walking home from the bar.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 08:59 AM   #292
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Is it doing something to someone's property? It seems more like not making the effort to prevent something from happening?

What's everyone doing about the cats, deer, birds, raccoons and rabbits going to the bathroom in their yards? Society dictates humans go in toilets, so it's not really an equivalent when pets are supposed to go outside.
I repeat, do you hear yourself?
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 09:00 AM   #293
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

If it makes anybody feel better, at one of my old jobs, a human was pooping by the front door every morning.
Old 12-02-2021, 09:01 AM   #294
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
I mean sure - preferably the dog goes on my lawn but if another dog does his business on my lawn as long as the person cleans it up, what do I care. Its grass. Wild animals are out there doing their business all over the place out there.

I'd say if a dog doing this business on your lawn really riles you up that much - you may need something to occupy your time. I've been alive for a few years now and literally have never heard of people getting riled up about this until reading this thread.
This is just more deflecting. I’ve never confronted someone who’s let their dog on my lawn personally, but I don’t do it myself. Certainly wouldn’t use a “you need something better to do with your time than complain” if it pissed someone off. It’s their grass, not mine. And people put a lot of effort into maintaining it. I’m going to get rid of my lawn when I can afford it because I’m not about maintaining a swath of grass. But some people are. Who am I to dictate how they are supposed to feel about it? It’s their property.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 09:04 AM   #295
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
I live near a dog park, and my lawn is destroyed each year by all the dogs pissing on the grass on the way by. And my garbage can is full of poo bags.
We do too. We don't tend to find a lot of dog crap on the front lawn or poo baggies, which is odd to me. But what we do have, is idiots who don't know that a crescent means they can go 1/4 of a block up, and enter the crescent from the other end, thereby ensuring they can park on the other side of the road without having to do insane turns in the middle of the street. These same idiots figure they'll just whip a u-turn in the middle of the street and run up across the edge of our lawn, and our neighbors lawn, which ruins things much quicker than the dog doo does.

My other favorite is when they figure it's ok to whip into my driveway. Last year, my daughter had just pulled onto our property with her mobility scooter. I asked her to move it and leave it parked in our driveway, butted up against the tongue of the utility cart, because my husband was going to be loading it up that night to take it to the shop to check it over. Dudebro in a jacked truck came flying into our driveway right after she had parked it - she hadn't even made it back to the steps yet, and slammed on his brakes, stopped within 3-4 inches of the scooter.

I may have given him a bit of a haranguing on why that made him an arsehole. Yeah, I know, his insurance would pay for a new one if he'd munched it, but what if she happened to be on it the time he doesn't manage to jam on his brakes? People flying into and using our driveway to turn around happens so often, that we've taken to moving our green & blue bins onto the street in front of our driveway, pretty much daily, to stop people from doing what jackwagon did - they even do it with our car in the driveway - will be an interesting call to insurance if someone manages to rear-end our vehicles in our own driveway, lol. It's a hassle to move the bins, but it saves the lawns & keeps people from "accidentally" mangling anything in the driveway.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 09:08 AM   #296
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

This whole equating a dog peeing and pooping on other peoples lawns is ridiculous. First one is legal, the other is not. Second, one has the ability to use a toilet, one does not. Thirdly, male dogs mark, it’s a very small amount of pee, unlikely to damage peoples lawns.
Hey, but if someone wants to come crap on my lawn, as long as they’re willing to pick it up in a bag and carry it around with them… go for it.
People are so uptight about their lawns and parking on the street in front of their houses. It’s so petty.
Old 12-02-2021, 09:09 AM   #297
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was working out front last year and some lady who couldn't peel her eyes from her phone stopped at the end of my driveway, and let her big dog walk up onto the flower bed and take a piss. I asked her to please not let her dog do that. She kinda look up from her phone and ya "oh, ya, ok." and walks off.

Like, maybe you are a good dog owner, but it's people like that that infuriate me. Just letting your dog piss all over a flower garden? Dafuq is wrong with you? My wife is in there all the time tending to it, but hey, ya, just dump a load of urine and feces all over. Really nice. So now we have it fenced off, which is more work for us, more ugly, but required, because some humans are just giant #### heads who haven't figured out how to live in a civilized society.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 09:11 AM   #298
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Having owned dogs growing up: they pee where you let them pee.

It doesn’t really matter if say you’d have respect for the person or not. You already don’t by letting your dog do it’s thing on their yard. It’s not some horrific act or anything, it’s just lacking respect. I find the majority of dog owners lack it though.

Like let’s face it, people are avoiding the scenario because they don’t like it, but you’d be pissed (no pun intended) if you found out a guy was using your lawn as a urinal every night he was walking home from the bar.
My boy dog takes some deliberate actions before he goes, so I can usually stop him from going when I see him thinking of it. The girl dog will just go mid stride though. I still think I'd rather move her to a grassy yard than let her pee on the sidewalk though. Neither of them actually go very often walks, but most of the route all the grass is on people's properties, so i'm not really sure where else they'd go.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 09:16 AM   #299
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
My front lawn? Honestly, I wouldn’t care. I don’t roll around on my front lawn, or grow food there. If there’s invisible urine residue on the grass by the sidewalk, it affects me not at all.

If it was frequent enough to destroy the grass then sure, it would be annoying. And someone letting their dog pee on someone’s lawn every day is rude also. But it’s not disgusting or rage-inducing.

But it’s a dumb comparison. The volume of pee from a person is much, much greater than the squirt a dog lets out (the reason it’s hard to stop a dog from peeing in the first place is it takes about three seconds from mid-stride to peeing to walking again).

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 12-02-2021 at 09:18 AM.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 09:20 AM   #300
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
This is just more deflecting. I’ve never confronted someone who’s let their dog on my lawn personally, but I don’t do it myself. Certainly wouldn’t use a “you need something better to do with your time than complain” if it pissed someone off. It’s their grass, not mine. And people put a lot of effort into maintaining it. I’m going to get rid of my lawn when I can afford it because I’m not about maintaining a swath of grass. But some people are. Who am I to dictate how they are supposed to feel about it? It’s their property.
They can care about their lawn all they want. But if a dog going to the washroom on your lawn triggers a person - they probably need to find something to occupy their mind IMO.

If someone throws up a sign, then sure - follow what it says on the sign since it obviously matters to them. But I live on a residential street - I wouldn't expect someone to make their dog hold it for 10 minutes while they walk to the public park or back home.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PeteMoss For This Useful Post:

Tags
"what am i?"