Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: If you could vote on Super Tuesday who would you vote for?
Joe Biden 35 16.43%
Michael Bloomberg 14 6.57%
Pete Buttigieg 18 8.45%
Amy Klobucher 9 4.23%
Bernie Sanders 102 47.89%
Elizabeth Warren 23 10.80%
Other 12 5.63%
Voters: 213. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-03-2020, 08:59 AM   #1681
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

^LOL at the last example. Well played.
Cali Panthers Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 09:00 AM   #1682
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

A new poll casts doubts on the conventional head-to-head Sanders vs Trump numbers by factoring in which demographics actually vote.

Quote:
Bernie Sanders Can't Count on New Voters

...New political science research by David Broockman of the University of California, Berkeley, and Joshua Kalla of Yale erodes some of that comfort. Broockman and Kalla surveyed over 40,000 people — far more than a typical poll — about head-to-head presidential matchups. They found that when they weight their numbers to reflect the demographic makeup of the population rather than the likely electorate, as many polls do, Sanders beats Trump, often by more than other candidates.

But the demographics of people who actually vote are almost always different from the demographics of people who can vote. That’s where their analysis raises concerns about Sanders’s chances...

About 37 percent of Democrats and independents under 35 voted in 2016. According to Broockman and Kalla’s figures, Sanders would need to get that figure up to 48 percent. By comparison, Broockman told me, in 2008, Barack Obama raised black turnout by about five percentage points...

...College-educated white women, for example, helped flip the House in 2018. They favor Biden over Trump by double digits, but Sanders by only two points. Sanders, however, seems to see little need to reach out to them. Speaking to The Los Angeles Times editorial board in December, Sanders said he didn’t believe the way to win against Trump “is to just speak to Republican women in the suburbs.”

Instead, he said, “The key to this election is, can we get millions of young people who have never voted before into the political process, many working people who understand that Trump is a fraud, can we get them voting?” Even if the answer is yes, it probably won’t be enough. If he’s going to be the nominee, the rest of us can only hope his campaign has a Plan B.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/02/o...gtype=Homepage
Democrat primary results so far show Sanders has not inspired any uptick in turnout of younger voters.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 09:19 AM   #1683
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
A new poll casts doubts on the conventional head-to-head Sanders vs Trump numbers by factoring in which demographics actually vote.

Democrat primary results so far show Sanders has not inspired any uptick in turnout of younger voters.
It seems a reasonable argument to me. I think the Bernie youth movement has a bit of a ceiling too. Sure, there is a group of loud, young Bernie supporters, but a lot of young people are pretty apathetic/apolitical, or just anti-Trumpers. I don't know that Bernie gets young people outside his core supporters to vote that wouldn't already vote. The only real factor is his supporters staying home or voting for Trump in protest if he isn't the nominee.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 09:31 AM   #1684
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

The thing is, they don't necessarily represent turnout, but they certainly represent a strong ground game. They make an insane amount of calls and knock on an insane number of doors. That's the primary reason he's been winning. That effect on turnout isn't generally talked about when the general happens - I'm not sure if people are just assuming that that sort of activity will happen no matter who is the nominee. I don't think that's the case.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 09:36 AM   #1685
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
The thing is, they don't necessarily represent turnout, but they certainly represent a strong ground game. They make an insane amount of calls and knock on an insane number of doors. That's the primary reason he's been winning. That effect on turnout isn't generally talked about when the general happens - I'm not sure if people are just assuming that that sort of activity will happen no matter who is the nominee. I don't think that's the case.
That might be what Bloomberg is good for.

Also, there is so far little evidence that Sanders has influenced a good turn out this time around.

Last edited by nfotiu; 03-03-2020 at 09:39 AM.
Old 03-03-2020, 09:43 AM   #1686
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
But there's a realistic limit to how much a candidate can increase turnout, no matter how many people they have out there knocking on doors. Obama was the first black presidential candidate. He represented a watershed in American history. He increased black turnout by 5 per cent.

Maybe Bernie will prove more inspiring and transformative to American political participation than Obama proved to black Americans. But that looks to me more like wishful thinking than a reasonable likelihood.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 09:49 AM   #1687
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
How are Republicans any different in that regard? Trump had to pick Pence and not Ivanka or Vince McMahon because he needed a solid Christian right/base guy. Romney had to pick Ryan because he was a tea party Republican. McCain had to pick Palin to lock up the bat#### wing. Cheney had to pick Bush because someone had to be the front guy with name value.
Romney and McCain were clearly mistakes. Being painted into a corner. I think Trump could have picked any politician. He could have picked Kasich.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 09:52 AM   #1688
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
Romney and McCain were clearly mistakes. Being painted into a corner. I think Trump could have picked any politician. He could have picked Kasich.
Point being balancing the ticket has always been what both parties try to do to maximize the potential base so you don't over rely on swing voters.
Old 03-03-2020, 09:59 AM   #1689
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
That might be what Bloomberg is good for.

Also, there is so far little evidence that Sanders has influenced a good turn out this time around.
Bloomberg has become quite a wildcard now. In theory he should exit now so there can be further coalescing behind Biden, but for like five minutes there he was looking like the centrist white knight who could actually win the nomination, so you wonder now about whether his ego can handle bailing. Ironically Bernie would now greatly benefit from Bloomberg staying in.
Old 03-03-2020, 10:05 AM   #1690
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Bloomberg has become quite a wildcard now. In theory he should exit now so there can be further coalescing behind Biden, but for like five minutes there he was looking like the centrist white knight who could actually win the nomination, so you wonder now about whether his ego can handle bailing. Ironically Bernie would now greatly benefit from Bloomberg staying in.
Unless he pulls off some major upsets today, I think Bloomberg drops out and backs Biden tonight. It would be too weird to spend 500 million, hire all those people and drop out before anyone even has a chance to vote for you.

He may not even be hurting Biden that much unless he is getting 14% of the vote everywhere, as I think there are mechanisms that he can give his delegates to Biden.
Old 03-03-2020, 10:40 AM   #1691
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
What if he decides to run as an independent up the middle if it comes down to Moron v Moron as the main event?

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 10:45 AM   #1692
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladtheImpaler View Post
What if he decides to run as an independent up the middle if it comes down to Moron v Moron as the main event?
The HBO mini-series in 5 years is gonna be even more lit.
Old 03-03-2020, 10:47 AM   #1693
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladtheImpaler View Post
Well since no third party candidate has a chance in any universe to win a presidential election in the US he’d hand Trump another term. In the presidential election he’d siphon democratic votes and splinter it. He’s too anti gun to take Republican votes.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 10:50 AM   #1694
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm a huge Bernie fan but I wish he wouldn't go all NDP all at once. Just start with the free health care. Forget about the drugs and dental until next time. Also not sure about the free post secondary for everyone. Just put tuition limits on the schools. Like $80kus/year for ivy league schools is just stupid.

I voted Biden. I'm sure his VP won't be an old white senior male. I'm thinking a middle age black former president....
Old 03-03-2020, 10:54 AM   #1695
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Biden should make Michelle Obama his VP.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2020, 10:56 AM   #1696
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
I'm a huge Bernie fan but I wish he wouldn't go all NDP all at once. Just start with the free health care. Forget about the drugs and dental until next time. Also not sure about the free post secondary for everyone. Just put tuition limits on the schools. Like $80kus/year for ivy league schools is just stupid.

I voted Biden. I'm sure his VP won't be an old white senior male. I'm thinking a middle age black former president....
I'm thinking a brokered convention that chooses as presidential candidate the wife of a middle age black former president is maybe the right answer.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 10:56 AM   #1697
robbie111
Scoring Winger

Exp:

My guess if Biden gets the nomination is that Warren will be his VP. An attempt to unite the party.
robbie111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 11:20 AM   #1698
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post

Can the government put a tuition cap on a private school? Ca n they even ban private schools? And why are we restricting parents from sending their kids to better schools?

I think these policies sink Bernie, either now or in November. The debates with less people are going to get better and Bernie is going to be attacked.

Old 03-03-2020, 11:20 AM   #1699
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbie111 View Post
My guess if Biden gets the nomination is that Warren will be his VP. An attempt to unite the party.
Warren is not a uniter, shes a snake.

Old 03-03-2020, 11:23 AM   #1700
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

If this cycle has taught me anything it's that maybe South Carolina should be first for the Dems. Biden gets one admittedly terrific result and he's gone from five and a half feet under right back to frontrunner. Nevada might be good too if it weren't a caucus, but clearly Iowa and New Hampshire are not really indicators of anything meaningful, plus they have very few delegates.