Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2021, 08:25 AM   #6121
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
Pipelines are never the issue, cars are. Neither are tried and true environmentalists who are actually a small voting block. This is an easy move to signal to the suburban woke set. A hypocrite faux social justice set that will happily fill up their SUV with fuel not from dirty Canada.

It cynical politics at its finest and another example that Biden is a typical politician and like Obama no one to celebrate.
I went to an IEA international conference on CO2 capture 10 years ago, and the comment from one of the speakers that stuck with me was "cars vote, power plants don't". It would be political suicide to try to curb emissions from cars, although a carbon tax does make some headway to doing so if it makes filling up painful enough.
InglewoodFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 09:06 AM   #6122
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodFan View Post
I went to an IEA international conference on CO2 capture 10 years ago, and the comment from one of the speakers that stuck with me was "cars vote, power plants don't". It would be political suicide to try to curb emissions from cars, although a carbon tax does make some headway to doing so if it makes filling up painful enough.

... by extension, if I may reword to some degree, the world needs more of a consumption based tax rather than a supplier based penalty. USA currently needs hydrocarbon based energy and they vast majority of them don't care where it comes from, as long as it's meets the pricing metric and availability. Politically if they can make a particular supplier (ie: country or company) look like a bad boogeyman then that helps justify the ends. Such as having U.S. celebrities dish out opinions of Canadian oil recovery technologies yet quite probable they've never visited domestic or international oil/gas fields, nor have much or any idea about respective ESG.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RichieRich For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2021, 09:12 AM   #6123
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodFan View Post
I went to an IEA international conference on CO2 capture 10 years ago, and the comment from one of the speakers that stuck with me was "cars vote, power plants don't". It would be political suicide to try to curb emissions from cars...
Or flying, which is even worse for GHG emissions, and used by a smaller and wealthier demographic than driving - a demographic that overlaps even more closely with people who express concern over global warming.
CliffFletcher is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2021, 02:19 PM   #6124
Dan02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Or flying, which is even worse for GHG emissions, and used by a smaller and wealthier demographic than driving - a demographic that overlaps even more closely with people who express concern over global warming.
It's not the flying itself that is necessarily bad for GHG it's the distances involved. If you and a friend were to drive to Vancouver for example, you'd emit way more carbon driving then if you were to fly.
Dan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 04:03 PM   #6125
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan02 View Post
It's not the flying itself that is necessarily bad for GHG it's the distances involved. If you and a friend were to drive to Vancouver for example, you'd emit way more carbon driving then if you were to fly.
It is definitely not way more. It might even be less.

Some numbers I found: average Canadian car 206 gCO2/km.
Short-haul flight: ~150 gCO2/km/passenger

Car trip: ~200kg CO2 (1000km)
Flight: ~210kg CO2 (700km, 2 passengers)

Close enough that it depends on factors like what plane, what car, maybe even which way the wind's blowing.

If you're traveling solo, however, then it's better to fly unless your car is electric.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 04:42 PM   #6126
Dan02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
It is definitely not way more. It might even be less.

Some numbers I found: average Canadian car 206 gCO2/km.
Short-haul flight: ~150 gCO2/km/passenger

Car trip: ~200kg CO2 (1000km)
Flight: ~210kg CO2 (700km, 2 passengers)

Close enough that it depends on factors like what plane, what car, maybe even which way the wind's blowing.

If you're traveling solo, however, then it's better to fly unless your car is electric.
The newest Generation of single aisle planes be it the MAX,NEO or A220 are significantly more efficient then that. Airbus reported their fleetwide deliveries last year to have an expected carbon footprint of 63.5g/km

Lets use the Max 8 for example, on regional routes the expected fuel efficiency is 2.28 L/100/seat and assuming a 90% load factor that works out to 2.53L/100km/person

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuel_e...t#cite_note-51

2.53 x 7(00km) x 2 people = 35.42 L of jet feul

Jet Fuel has 21.10 lbs/gallon of carbon which is 2.53 kg/l, so the total expected carbon released would be closer to 90 kgs not 210.

35.42 x 2.53 = 89.61kg

https://www.eia.gov/environment/emis...2_vol_mass.php

If you're on a older -800 it's about 15-20% higher fuel burn, still substantially less then an average car with 2 people.
Dan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dan02 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2021, 07:12 PM   #6127
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

I've always assumed it would be possible to develop jet fuel that comes from renewable sources where less C02 is released when burning.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 07:19 PM   #6128
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

They've been trying to push these bio fuels as being green, but I don't really get it. I don't think they release less CO2 when burned, they just keep it in a kinda closed loop(that's the sales job, anyway). In isolation, that might make sense. But so many factors go into it, I don't really buy it.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 10:18 PM   #6129
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
I've always assumed it would be possible to develop jet fuel that comes from renewable sources where less C02 is released when burning.
https://carbonengineering.com/our-story/

These guys have technology for Direct air capture and conversion to jet fuel. I think as the tech improves this type of thing becomes an option where higher energy densities are required then batteries can provide.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2021, 10:35 AM   #6130
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Removal of C02 from the atmosphere is a good play, if it works.

Would help on two fronts.

Pretty skeptical though. Doesn't it take an insane amount of energy? The conversion rate has never seemed good.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 11:41 AM   #6131
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Removal of C02 from the atmosphere is a good play, if it works.

Would help on two fronts.

Pretty skeptical though. Doesn't it take an insane amount of energy? The conversion rate has never seemed good.
I have a friend at Carbon Engineering and all of their capture calculations are net of any emissions generated for the energy of capture. They were going to some lengths to find the most efficient of their various pots and pans. Plus with the pilot being in Squamish I believe they are all hydro for their electric consumption. Downside continues to be the recovery rates will never be high because the atmospheric CO2 is so dilute.

Post combustion capture is a whole other kettle of fish. It is a fascinating field with tons of technology challenges to still figure out.
InglewoodFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 12:04 PM   #6132
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hear there will be interesting news re a government investment today. Not keystone.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 01:07 PM   #6133
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
https://carbonengineering.com/our-story/

These guys have technology for Direct air capture and conversion to jet fuel. I think as the tech improves this type of thing becomes an option where higher energy densities are required then batteries can provide.
I’ve been following these guys a little while. Backed by Bill Gates and Murray Edwards.....

Rich get richer with what could potentially be game changing patent / technology but yea, let’s let the billionaires protect their patent some more even though it could literally be game changing for climate change. Moving on...
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 01:49 PM   #6134
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Carbon Engineering started as a smaller Calgary-based engineering outfit. When the owners realized they could get more favorable taxation, perhaps better northern USA access, plus all the great outdoor amenities in Squamish (climbing, biking, hiking, skiing, travel, Vancouver, island, etc...) it was a no brainer for them to move. It's taken a few years to get to this point but they now have a real functional pilot going on. With all the push now for "green" and renewables and emission reduction and CCT, they're well positioned to get funding from real companies and not rely on private or government funding.
The Following User Says Thank You to RichieRich For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2021, 02:02 PM   #6135
Maccalus
Scoring Winger

Exp:

There are a few carbon capture companies in Calgary due to the sheppard energy plant being a location for one of the recent Carbon X-prize contests. It consisted of several companies demonstrating technology for capture of carbon from power plant off gas or direct air capture in order to store in concrete. I did some work for one of the companies and it is some interesting technology if it can be commercialized.
Maccalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 07:42 PM   #6136
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
I hear there will be interesting news re a government investment today. Not keystone.
Did I miss it?
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 06:27 PM   #6137
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

With gasoline at $1.339 today is that a record high in Calgary? I don't remember fuel ever being this high.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 09:41 PM   #6138
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
With gasoline at $1.339 today is that a record high in Calgary? I don't remember fuel ever being this high.
It looks like it's been a little higher, but only a couple of times in the last 10years... which includes before the big oil crash of 2015.
Select, for comparison, USA avg, Canada avg, and your city (Calgary?) for the 18mo

https://www.gasbuddy.com/charts
Old 06-17-2021, 10:22 AM   #6139
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

What are the reasons for the gasoline prices? Still aftereffects from Colonial Pipelines or other?
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 10:23 AM   #6140
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

WTI is $70 and the carbon tax has started to add up in a meaningful way.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote