Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-2021, 03:18 PM   #21
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
People that work for the Flames definitely read this board.

But, it's definitely silly to think that if a bunch of drunken fans realize and can point out flaws, that a team of hockey professionals wouldn't figure out the same thing.
It took the rest of the league 7 years to figure out the Johnny Gaudreau and Sean Monahan duo. I think we almost give some of these so called "professionals" too much credit sometimes.

Like Bill Peters for instance, absolutely owned by Colorado and Jared Bednar. Made zero adjustments to the series which resulted in 4 straight losses. While he was preaching "check for chances" all series long, Bednar was staying patient and playing more conservatively defensively, which lead to the Avalanche picking the Flames apart and also wrecking them in transition offensively.

Everyone and their mom could tell the Flames needed to change tactics up half way into that series and they never did.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Classic_Sniper For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2021, 03:19 PM   #22
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mull View Post
I think this forum has a been of self inflated worth when it comes to Flames management.

Does some media guy/gal likely stroll through here? Maybe.

Are they going to make a publicity video for a whipping boy because this form came down on them? Doubt it.
Official club personnel will view this forum. A decent chunk of STH are on here, they would be stupid not to pay attention to their paying customers. If you have a sales job, would you not sleuth for as much information on your clients and prospects as you could?

Media will also peruse this forum, and many of them have active accounts. I think Ryan Pike is the most active, but guys like James Mirtle will post on occasion too.

I think other media come here too, like Francis and Steinberg and get ideas for upcoming shows or broadcasts.

If that is self inflated worth, then go nuts I guess. It's not like media and NHL personnel are demi-gods that can't associate with regular human beings on a forum.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 03:23 PM   #23
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
It took the rest of the league 7 years to figure out the Johnny Gaudreau and Sean Monahan duo. I think we almost give some of these so called "professionals" too much credit sometimes.

Like Bill Peters for instance, absolutely owned by Colorado and Jared Bednar. Made zero adjustments to the series which resulted in 4 straight losses. While he was preaching "check for chances" all series long, Bednar was staying patient and playing more conservatively defensively, which lead to the Avalanche picking the Flames apart and also wrecking them in transition offensively.

Everyone and their mom could tell the Flames needed to change tactics up half way into that series and they never did.
That's not my take.

I saw a team that got spooked with the Avalanche team speed and started backing in on their goaltender. Right back to the fragile team mental toughness angle.

No coach walks out a game plan with

- huge gaps in the neutral zone
- tepid backchecking
- backing in and screening their goaltender

My opinion any way.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2021, 03:25 PM   #24
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Official club personnel will view this forum. A decent chunk of STH are on here, they would be stupid not to pay attention to their paying customers. If you have a sales job, would you not sleuth for as much information on your clients and prospects as you could?

Media will also peruse this forum, and many of them have active accounts. I think Ryan Pike is the most active, but guys like James Mirtle will post on occasion too.

I think other media come here too, like Francis and Steinberg and get ideas for upcoming shows or broadcasts.

If that is self inflated worth, then go nuts I guess. It's not like media and NHL personnel are demi-gods that can't associate with regular human beings on a forum.
And you think the flames in their infinite wisdom decided the best course of action was to make a media blitz of how good Sam is with the Flames because people here want him traded?

That doesn't seem.... stupid to you?
Mull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 03:39 PM   #25
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
That's not my take.

I saw a team that got spooked with the Avalanche team speed and started backing in on their goaltender. Right back to the fragile team mental toughness angle.

No coach walks out a game plan with

- huge gaps in the neutral zone
- tepid backchecking
- backing in and screening their goaltender

My opinion any way.
Well in my opinion, they had huge gaps in the neutral zone because of the way they were forechecking, they were over aggressive, very similar to Geoff Ward's style. Darryl has this team play way more conservatively, leading to less chances on the rush and because there's support on the track back, the defensemen can step up more instead of giving up the blue line so much like they did against Colorado.

I get that Colorado is faster then the Flames, won't deny that. But there are ways to slow down fast teams and all Bill Peter did was feed Colorado's speed whereas conversely, Colorado defended the Flames' speed very well and made it nasty going through the neutral zone which made their breakouts complete junk. It was an absolute owning on both sides of the ice IMO. I even remember yelling at my TV halfway through game 1, a game that we actually won and yet I still said at the time, the Flames aren't going to win the series playing this style.

I think the coaching tactics made that series more of a blowout than it should've been. I don't doubt that Colorado skaters wanted it more, but it should've been a a close game 7 loss instead of the absolute ass kicking in 5 that it ended up being.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Classic_Sniper For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2021, 03:56 PM   #26
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

To be fair, it felt like Snyder wrote a gay Batman, but Affleck refused to play him that way. First movie Batman ever with no love interest, but sad about losing his intern, and spends all his time with a jaunty manservant.

As for the Flames media team reading this or any other thread, I would only impress upon them that this fanbase seems pretty prepared to embrace the Dube-Mangiapane-Hanifin-Tanev-Markstrom Era. Trade the core of three years ago for 'hope', and the fans are ready to jump on board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
I like how quickly this turned from "The media team reads this board" to "WE HAVE THE POWER TO INFLUENCE ROSTER DECISIONS!!"

If the media team is really reading this board, why hasn't Warner Bros announced a gay Batman movie based on my post? That's the real question.
Old 04-07-2021, 04:13 PM   #27
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

There is a total of 14,217 active members of this forum, and only 1,629 who have contributed more than 500 posts. I am sure the Flames pay attention to what is happening here, but am much less convinced that it has any effect on hockey decisions. This is a good place for generating social media talking-points, but that's about it.

The Flames listen much more intently to their season ticket-holders than anything opined on CP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 04:23 PM   #28
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
And you think the flames in their infinite wisdom decided the best course of action was to make a media blitz of how good Sam is with the Flames because people here want him traded?

That doesn't seem.... stupid to you?
One of the problems communications and marketing staff have is coming up with new content day after day, week after week, month after month. They have to justify their paycheques, same as everybody else. And like everybody else in the corporate world, if they can point to metrics (a thread on this subject had 450 comments in two days on CP) to give their work any veneer of credibility, all the better. Take it from me - they absolutely do trawl forums like this and other social media looking for ideas and gauging customer engagement.

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 04-07-2021 at 04:28 PM.
CliffFletcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 04:51 PM   #29
UnitedFlames
Backup Goalie

Exp:

After a great game by Rittich, someone on here posted the KITH video, These are the Daves I Know. Next game that Rittich was in net, These are the Daves I Know was played during the game...
UnitedFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to UnitedFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2021, 05:09 PM   #30
FlamesAreOne
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Hi.
FlamesAreOne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FlamesAreOne For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2021, 06:30 PM   #31
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Totally.

Trade whatever we can for 2022 and 2023 1st rounder, even if we have to retain salary.

I hate that it has come to this. I used to pride myself on the Flames never fully bottoming out or getting top 5 draft picks (with the exception of Bennett), but screw it. This league rewards tearing down and rebuilding.

Get a feel for what season ticket holder want I guess, I'm not one so it might be easier for me to want this route than someone who is a season ticket holder.

Darryl's comments about others teams having skilled players is telling....

Teams are trading for firsts and staying in the loop while the Flames are caught in an never ending cycle. Teams are getting stronger and grabbing elite players while we win too many games in seasons where we should drop for a top pick; Because well.... pride?

Come on Flames, wake up before we don't have anything worthwhile to sell....
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 06:47 PM   #32
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post

We are behind the times in more ways than one...

Flames need to get with the program and start building a team. Too many experiments, too much looking for that diamond in the rough. Inadequate coaching hires, we are falling behind the times. What's the point of making the playoffs if we don't have what it takes, or know what to do when we get there!

Flames need to grab more first's and try and gain an elite player, or 2, build around that. Looking at other teams trading for firsts is annoying because they are actually staying competitive and addressing long term growth.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 07:01 PM   #33
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
I think this forum has a been of self inflated worth when it comes to Flames management.

Does some media guy/gal likely stroll through here? Maybe.

Are they going to make a publicity video for a whipping boy because this form came down on them? Doubt it.
I believe CP was quite well treaded by the team before social media became what it is. Even Ken King has admitted they used to follow to CP all the time to get the pulse of the fans.

Hell, Andrew Ference was a poster here for a few years. But I think now a days not many new fans sign up here (as evidenced by the age poll where we're pretty much all 35-50) and all sports teams spend all their online researching hours on social media sights and redditt.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 07:07 PM   #34
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Confirmed Gio just gave an interview and mentioned gay Batman as a role model for the team
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to heep223 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2021, 07:07 PM   #35
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

nm

Last edited by jayswin; 04-08-2021 at 04:19 PM.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2021, 07:24 PM   #36
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
To be fair, it felt like Snyder wrote a gay Batman, but Affleck refused to play him that way. First movie Batman ever with no love interest, but sad about losing his intern, and spends all his time with a jaunty manservant.
That scene where he longingly watches Aquaman take off his shirt and go swimming... come on, it was right there! Give the people what they want!
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 07:29 PM   #37
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well if they are reading this, then this is the only post they need to make happen.
Trade Gio at deadline
Trade Mony and Johnny in off season.
Put Mangiapane on Johnny’s line for rest of season.
Play valamaki for rest of season. He needs the experience.
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 07:32 PM   #38
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
I believe CP was quite well treaded by the team before social media became what it is. Even Ken King has admitted they used to follow to CP all the time to get the pulse of the fans.

Hell, Andrew Ference was a poster here for a few years. But I think now a days not many new fans sign up here (as evidenced by the age poll where we're pretty much all 35-50) and all sports teams spend all their online researching hours on social media sights and redditt.
Do you remember that time the Edmonton Oilers paid a media team to go on HF to pump up interest in the team?

That was good fun.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 07:44 PM   #39
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hello, Flames media staff.

Me and my puppets are available for pre game Jumbotron entertainment when in-person attendance resumes.

- Surferguy
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Puppet Guy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2021, 09:34 PM   #40
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppet Guy View Post
Hello, Flames media staff.

Me and my puppets are available for pre game Jumbotron entertainment when in-person attendance resumes.
They should broadcast some of those instead of some the inane commercials we get over and over and over.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post: