Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2022, 05:26 AM   #6141
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
mhhmmmm, I don't know about that. DeSantis is very savvy, and Trump is a buffoon. I think Ron would take him in a debate pretty easily.

Trump has baggage that DeSantis does not, and DeSantis basically parrots everything Trump does. There's no reason a Trumper would choose Trump over DeSantis at this point.
Serious question: What is the "baggage" threshold Trump has to cross to lose his cult? I genuinely think he could rape and murder every one of cultists family members, and they'd still vote for him and they'd actually be proud to have helped Make America Great Again. Meanwhile, does DeSantis have any rope? Like if it comes out in any way he was pedo'ing it up with Gaetz, he is DOA. Did you not learn anything from 2015 until now? When Trump said he could shoot someone on Fifth Avenue and people would still vote for him, what he really should have just said "I Christ reincarnate to many, many people, I can do anything and my disciples will be keen for the cross". He would have been just as accurate.

Then there's the real problem for DeSantis if Trump runs: What differentiates DeSantis from Trump? Why vote for Diet Trump when you can have the real thing? DeSantis has spent basically every day since January 2021 positioning himself as the heir to the Trump cult. His political positions, his mannerisms, how he talks....it's ####ing Trump, except not the real thing. And the Trump cult likes DeSantis, so long as he stays out of the way. Once he runs? Just another Soros guy, a Deep State candidate trying to stop God's chosen one. They will turn on him like they have everyone else. And without the cult, no winning the primaries.
Old 08-18-2022, 05:41 AM   #6142
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

re: baggage...

I think if Ron were smart he would paint Trump as another Hillary Clinton who held on to classified information out of office, and then discuss his corruption as part of the elite class that takes from the lower classes. (not that Ron isn't technically elite with his ivy league education, but whatever)

There's not a lot to attack DeSantis on if you're a conservative. He's the ideal candidate and I do not consider him "diet Trump". He's the real deal and has done nearly as much as Trump has to further that agenda.

He's going to be the next president, I'm sorry to say.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 05:57 AM   #6143
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lol at thinking DeSantis can paint Trump as Hillary. Reminder: Trump cult = 99% of the "Hillary is Satan" thinkers. DeSantis will be linked to Hillary and Soros and the WEF in record time, and successfully without a doubt.

If Trump doesn't run DeSantis will probably be the nominee. If Trump runs, I betcha DeSantis doesn't even consider it. Remember DeSantis is also heavily hooked up into Roger Stone. When push comes to shove in a race between them, pretty obvious Stone is gonna feed Trump all the negative #### he has on DeSantis, which ends DeSantis forever. But my original point stands, and is to me not questionable: If Trump runs, he will be the nominee. Remember too come primary time there will be a legit "moderate" in the race too, so DeSantis as diet-MAGA will not be getting those votes, and won't be viewed as an "acceptable" alternative. His path with Trump is somehow stealing his cult. Be fun to see if David Koresh can somehow unseat Jim Jones, Murica!

Last edited by Senator Clay Davis; 08-18-2022 at 06:10 AM.
Senator Clay Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 06:00 AM   #6144
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

I always assumed DeSantis' play was to be VP for Trump then parlay that to the office of Emporer when Trump dies.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 06:18 AM   #6145
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post
I always assumed DeSantis' play was to be VP for Trump then parlay that to the office of Emporer when Trump dies.
That's Kristi Noem. I think whoever the GOP candidate is she on the ticket.

I'd like to see how the Democrats attack a Nikki Haley/Kristi Noem ticket

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 06:37 AM   #6146
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Haley is completely despised by the cult, she has absolutely no shot whatsoever. Noem has aligned herself with the cult, so she will get a serious look for VP. Elise Stefanik is another likely VP candidate given her loyalty to the cult.
Old 08-18-2022, 06:47 AM   #6147
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Haley is completely despised by the cult, she has absolutely no shot whatsoever. Noem has aligned herself with the cult, so she will get a serious look for VP. Elise Stefanik is another likely VP candidate given her loyalty to the cult.
Haley would be the non cult candidate I guess. With Pence? But yeah no chance.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 06:49 AM   #6148
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Haley should have about a snowball's chance in hell, no matter from which angle you're looking at it.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 06:52 AM   #6149
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
mhhmmmm, I don't know about that. DeSantis is very savvy, and Trump is a buffoon. I think Ron would take him in a debate pretty easily.

Trump has baggage that DeSantis does not, and DeSantis basically parrots everything Trump does. There's no reason a Trumper would choose Trump over DeSantis at this point.
DeSantis has no charisma. Trump is buffoon but he has charisma and can be funny. DeSantis will get demolished as soon as Trump gives him a goofy nickname and he doesn't have the charisma or charm to fight back in anyway - basically Ted Cruz 2.0.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 06:55 AM   #6150
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
DeSantis has no charisma. Trump is buffoon but he has charisma and can be funny. DeSantis will get demolished as soon as Trump gives him a goofy nickname and he doesn't have the charisma or charm to fight back in anyway - basically Ted Cruz 2.0.
I'm surprised to hear this opinion. I think he's the exact opposite of Cruz in that he has a killer instinct and is plenty charismatic enough for a politician. People tolerate Cruz, but they love DeSantis.
Old 08-18-2022, 07:00 AM   #6151
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default American Politics 3.0 - Back to Brunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
That's Kristi Noem. I think whoever the GOP candidate is she on the ticket.

I'd like to see how the Democrats attack a Nikki Haley/Kristi Noem ticket

? I don’t understand. Haley is easy pickings to attack why would that be interesting to see?

Last edited by Mull; 08-18-2022 at 07:17 AM.
Mull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 07:14 AM   #6152
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:

I think if Ron were smart he would paint Trump as another Hillary Clinton who held on to classified information out of office, and then discuss his corruption as part of the elite class that takes from the lower classes. (not that Ron isn't technically elite with his ivy league education, but whatever)

There's not a lot to attack DeSantis on if you're a conservative. He's the ideal candidate and I do not consider him "diet Trump". He's the real deal and has done nearly as much as Trump has to further that agenda.

I agree.

But I don't think he's going to say anything against Trump until closer to election cycle.

Right now Trump is blowing himself up.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 07:39 AM   #6153
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

There is a core maga cult that still accounts for at least 50% of GOP voters. They will vote for Trump no matter what. The first few primaries will be crowded, and if Trump even stays around 50%, he will be seen as mopping the floor with the others and cruise to an easy nomination. I guess if it got down to Trump vs DeSantis in a 1v1 early in the process, it might be close, but I think Clay is right that DeSantis is the second choice of the vast majority of Trump supporters.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 07:49 AM   #6154
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

When are people going to learn that the way to handle Trump is to ignore him? He’s like one of those monsters who only gets bigger and stronger when the heroes blast away at him.

His whole schtick is defying the establishment - the Democrats, liberals, the federal government, the media, and even the Republican establishment. When any of those groups attack him it validates his persecution complex, and by proxie the feelings of victimization of his supporters. It raises his stature in their eyes.

How many times have charges been levelled against Trump that people are sure will stick and ruin him? Seven? Eight? None have worked so far. Why does anyone think next time will be different?

Starve the beast of the oxygen of attention. This is the approach DeSantis has shrewdly been taking. I expect he’ll continue, even once both are formally contesting the nomination.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2022, 07:54 AM   #6155
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
When are people going to learn that the way to handle Trump is to ignore him? He’s like one of those monsters who only gets bigger and stronger when the heroes blast away at him.

His whole schtick is defying the establishment - the Democrats, liberals, the federal government, the media, and even the Republican establishment. When any of those groups attack him it validates his persecution complex, and by proxie the feelings of victimization of his supporters. It raises his stature in their eyes.

How many times have charges been levelled against Trump that people are sure will stick and ruin him? Seven? Eight? None have worked so far. Why does anyone think next time will be different?

Starve the beast of the oxygen of attention. This is the approach DeSantis has shrewdly been taking. I expect he’ll continue, even once both are formally contesting the nomination.
Yeah, and the media has been feeding the Trump frenzy with their obsession with everything he does.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 08:18 AM   #6156
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post

Actually, after hearing this argument, I think you're right, this will be his approach. He can't afford to alienate any Trump supporters, but he will quietly offer himself as a better alternative to their goals. Whether that works or not considering the cult-hero status of Trump, I don't know, but I wouldn't bet against DeSantis.
Old 08-18-2022, 08:29 AM   #6157
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm surprised to hear this opinion. I think he's the exact opposite of Cruz in that he has a killer instinct and is plenty charismatic enough for a politician. People tolerate Cruz, but they love DeSantis.
From the outside - it looks like DeSantis runs Florida like the UPC runs Alberta. Basically runs against Washington democrats. It works in Florida but to win the primary - he'd have to beat Trump who all those people who that works on - will love more. I just think he'd get quickly demolished.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 09:28 AM   #6158
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:

If you're right, and the GOP takes the house and senate as predicted, then the US will 100% go full Handmaid's Tale
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2022, 09:38 AM   #6159
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

US Presidential incumbents are notoriously hard to beat. IF Biden runs for a second term it isn't a forgone conclusion that he looses to Ron as I think some people fear.
Mull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 09:42 AM   #6160
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
If you're right, and the GOP takes the house and senate as predicted, then the US will 100% go full Handmaid's Tale
I just started watching this, about 6 episodes in, and it's a great show! Depressing though...
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote