Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-2023, 10:36 PM   #81
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
2 inches is not a “far cry”. And heft is much more important than height.

And I think you should go back and look at the skating history of Point. He was a noted poor skater. He worked hard to improve. And the same was said about his defence. That’s why he was a third rounder.
2 inches is a pretty big difference- like I said, how many centers in the league are 5'10"? Is there a difference between a player who is 6'0", and one who is 6'2"? of course there is. It's not impossible, and it's happened many times before, but it's not likely. It's ok if you disagree, but most scouts and coaches would agree with ME. There's a reason why most pre-draft write-ups on young small centers usually say, "will most likely be playing the wing in the NHL".

I know the history of Point's skating (he was slow), and I know the pre-draft history of most players in the league. Perhaps YOU should go back and look at MY history of posting, and you'll see that. The sentence was two separate thoughts, the first thought, "Coronato isn't exactly a world class skater" has nothing to do with "or a defensive stalwart like Point". I know why Point was taken in the third round, thanks.

Last edited by Sandman; 06-15-2023 at 10:45 PM.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2023, 10:42 PM   #82
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stemit14 View Post
I guess that’s true. One of the dirtiest players in the league but 78 points is impressive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They need a dirty guy who can play - too many choirboys on this team.
Old 06-15-2023, 10:46 PM   #83
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

If it’s true that the teams most interested are Buffalo, Carolina and Dallas… I could see different types of returns from each team.

Since Dallas has bad contracts they want to trade… I’ll say the initial trade proposed above sounds reasonable:

To Dallas: Lindholm
To Calgary: Benn + Johnston

Carolina doesn’t really have any bad contracts and their first round pick is late (30th overall):

To Carolina: Lindholm
To Calgary: Jarvis

I imagine Buffalo is likely interested in defence - either Hanifin or tanev (or both):

To Buffalo: Hanifin
To Calgary: 13th overall

If Buffalo wants Tanev now I think the flames should try for their higher 2nd round pick. Tanev is a guy who would likely return more at the trade deadline so it would be ok to go into the year with him unsigned I think. Therefore, Buffalo would have to give a little more to convince the flames to trade now instead:

To Buffalo: Tanev
To Calgary: 39th overall + B-level prospect
stemit14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2023, 11:03 PM   #84
memphusk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Benn+Johnston for Lindholm+Coleman
I would.
Old 06-15-2023, 11:08 PM   #85
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default 2023/2024 Trade Rumors and Speculation thread

Winnipeg definitely adds another option for teams looking for players this offseason. Dubois, Hellebuyck and Wheeler are apparently available. Although those are different kinds of players than what the flames may be offering in trades to other teams… the picks or prospects that they could return could be comparable and therefore could be used on the Winnipeg players instead.

For example, if Buffalo were interested in a goaltender and a defenceman this offseason, which one would they choose to use their first round pick (13th overall) on? Hellebuyck or Hanifin? If they choose Hellebuyck, I don’t see Buffalo as as good a fit in a trade for Hanifin unless Buffalo is willing to trade one of their top 4 prospects for him.

Similarly if Carolina went after Dubois instead of Lindholm/Backlund.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by stemit14; 06-15-2023 at 11:51 PM.
stemit14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2023, 11:33 PM   #86
Saqe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphusk View Post
I would.
Benn is a caveman though. That crosscheck to the neck on Stone was Bertuzzi 2.0. From asset management point of view it makes sense but the guy is a moron.
Saqe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2023, 12:03 AM   #87
The Original FFIV
First Line Centre

Exp:

Pumping the brakes here.

The want is Johnston. Doesn’t mean they will give him up. They might want to keep him and see him as part of their cup run.

Both Benn and Seguin have nmcs so control their futures. If they aren’t getting along with deboer, might change things.

Seguin probably more expendable if lindy going back. 50% retention gets you seguin at just under $5m. Will need c if lindy goes.

So lindy for seguin at 50% retained plus bourque or stankoven and 2023 second.
The Original FFIV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Original FFIV For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2023, 12:50 AM   #88
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbull8 View Post
Dream scenario:

Lindholm to Columbus for 3rd overall (unlikely but I can dream)
Hanifin to Detroit for 17th and 2 2nds

Carlsson
Perreault
Simashev

Rebuild accelerated real fast
Rebuild accelerated fast because it has zero chance of happening, lol.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2023, 02:02 AM   #89
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbull8 View Post
Dream scenario:

Lindholm to Columbus for 3rd overall (unlikely but I can dream)
Hanifin to Detroit for 17th and 2 2nds
I don't think you are dreaming, I think you are on drugs.

Why would either of those GMs make either of those trades?!
Old 06-16-2023, 03:13 AM   #90
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
I don't think you are dreaming, I think you are on drugs.

Why would either of those GMs make either of those trades?!
Because the rest of the league is sitting around dreaming up scenarios to alleviate Calgary from the massive hole the Flames have dug themselves in.

If you accept that premise, it all makes sense.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2023, 06:28 AM   #91
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
2 inches is a pretty big difference- like I said, how many centers in the league are 5'10"? Is there a difference between a player who is 6'0", and one who is 6'2"? of course there is. It's not impossible, and it's happened many times before, but it's not likely. It's ok if you disagree, but most scouts and coaches would agree with ME. There's a reason why most pre-draft write-ups on young small centers usually say, "will most likely be playing the wing in the NHL".

I know the history of Point's skating (he was slow), and I know the pre-draft history of most players in the league. Perhaps YOU should go back and look at MY history of posting, and you'll see that. The sentence was two separate thoughts, the first thought, "Coronato isn't exactly a world class skater" has nothing to do with "or a defensive stalwart like Point". I know why Point was taken in the third round, thanks.
The point is that not being a world class skater or defensive stalwart makes Coronato just like Point.

Tell me what difference 5’10” and 186 versus 6’0” and 175 makes in any real sense.

And to answer your question - who knows? I know Suzuki, Granlund, Paveklski, Perfetti, Duchene, Domi, Johnston, Jarvis, Hughes, Trochek are all under 6 feet.

Last edited by GioforPM; 06-16-2023 at 06:40 AM.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2023, 06:38 AM   #92
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Wondering what it might take to get Travis Koenecny out of Philadelphia.

A few ‘if’s’ involved here but if Lindholm extends and if Hanifin is dealt, would trading Hanifin for a picks based return give the Flames the assets Philadelphia would want to move Koenecny?

Would a top line of Huberdeau-Lindholm-Koenecny click? Koenecny would add speed and some finishing ability plus it’s been said around here his partner is a Calgarian and he offseasons here. Maybe it’s a natural fit.

I know this has been discussed before but wondering if other top line RHS forwards are out there that seems to have the same ‘fit’ potential that Koenecny seems to have.
TOfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2023, 07:13 AM   #93
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOfan View Post
Wondering what it might take to get Travis Koenecny out of Philadelphia.

A few ‘if’s’ involved here but if Lindholm extends and if Hanifin is dealt, would trading Hanifin for a picks based return give the Flames the assets Philadelphia would want to move Koenecny?

Would a top line of Huberdeau-Lindholm-Koenecny click? Koenecny would add speed and some finishing ability plus it’s been said around here his partner is a Calgarian and he offseasons here. Maybe it’s a natural fit.

I know this has been discussed before but wondering if other top line RHS forwards are out there that seems to have the same ‘fit’ potential that Koenecny seems to have.
While Hanifin is clearly not a fit in Philly (as you have alluded to), the capital which Hanifin could bring back absolutely would, more or less, equate to the value of Konecny.

That line may well click and this type of trade is likely what Calgary is actually looking to do, as I doubt there is any rebuilding on the horizon.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2023, 07:35 AM   #94
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Original FFIV View Post
Pumping the brakes here.

The want is Johnston. Doesn’t mean they will give him up. They might want to keep him and see him as part of their cup run.

Both Benn and Seguin have nmcs so control their futures. If they aren’t getting along with deboer, might change things.

Seguin probably more expendable if lindy going back. 50% retention gets you seguin at just under $5m. Will need c if lindy goes.

So lindy for seguin at 50% retained plus bourque or stankoven and 2023 second.
Those NMCs are important here.

Your deal sounds plausible, but with the Flames taking on Seguin - even at 50 per cent retained - Dallas has to send more back. Seguin is a shell of his pre-hip injury self. Add a 2024 1st or 2nd and we’re close to deal that works for both teams.

Alternatively, Dallas deals Benn instead. He adds genuine quality to the Flames top-6, and with less term. The Flames could look for center depth elsewhere - maybe from a Hanifin deal (see below).

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 06-16-2023 at 07:39 AM.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2023, 07:45 AM   #95
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

BUF have lots of depth at forward, and quality F prospects making a push. But they need depth on D. So they’re a good fit for a Hanifin trade.

Hanifin for Mittlestadt would be tidy. Thompson and Cozens are locked in as the top two centres on BUF, and guys like Krebs, Savoie, and Ostlund are pushing from below. Meanwhile, if the Flames move Lindholm, they’d welcome a young middle-six C to replace him. Works for both teams.

If BUF feel Mittlestadt is part of their core (and he’s very well liked in the room and by the organization), then maybe something around Savoie or the 13th overall (though I think Savoie has more value than #13).

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 06-16-2023 at 07:49 AM.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2023, 07:51 AM   #96
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
BUF have lots of depth at forward, and quality F prospects making a push. But they need depth on D. So they’re a good fit for a Hanifin trade.

Hanifin for Mittlestadt would be tidy. Thompson and Cozens are locked in as the top two centres on BUF, and guys like Krebs, Savoie, and Ostlund are pushing from below. Meanwhile, if the Flames move Lindholm, they’d welcome a young middle-six C to replace him. Works for both teams.

If BUF feel Mittlestadt is part of their core (and he’s very well liked in the room and by the organization), then maybe something around Savoie and/or the 13th overall.
Mittlestadt is very mediocre. He really doesn’t provide a whole lot now or the future. If you trade Lindholm or Hanifin, you would want a top 6 forward or a top 4 dman now or someone who can be a really good one in the future. Not someone in between

Last edited by Flamesfan05; 06-16-2023 at 07:53 AM.
Flamesfan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2023, 07:52 AM   #97
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Greg Whyshynski of ESPN was on 960 this morning, he too brought up word around the league was Hanifin has played his last game as a Flame.

If (big if) they sign Lindholm, then I wouldn't be at all shocked to see the Flames try and get Nylander or someone along those lines. to fill out their top line. Even though they really should be moving Hanifin for picks.

Lose Hanifin and Lindholm? Not much choice then.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2023, 07:55 AM   #98
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post

If BUF feel Mittlestadt is part of their core (and he’s very well liked in the room and by the organization), then maybe something around Savoie and/or the 13th overall.
Buffalo makes sense - they have to feel like making the POs is a must at this point. Now, I don’t think Mittlestadt is equal value for Hanifin, and he’s a pending RFA with arb - basically he’s at the same place in his contract lifespan as Tkachuk (and he’s American albeit from Minnesota so Canada isn’t as much of a change). I’d want some extras, like their 39th OA pick they got from Philly.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2023, 07:55 AM   #99
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphusk View Post
I would.
After sleeping on it last night I think it makes some sense for both sides and I would certainly be fan of the deal from a Calgary perspective. I look at it this way

Why Dallas does it: they just won 10 playoff games and have a new core that has emerged as borderline elite in the last couple of years. Lindholm-Hintz is a very strong 1-2 punch. They have an elite winger, Dman, and goalie. Adding Lindholm makes them a favorite in the central next year where the division is theirs for the taking until Bedard and the Blackhawk’s emerge in a few years. Benn also seemed to be a problem. He is a big ticket, big voice, and the Stars might want to fully move on. Coleman is a hometown player and would be a strong veteran on a team that wants to win now

Why Calgary does it: Johnston has been a revelation since being drafted. He had a monster season after he was picked and jumped into the NHL at 19 and put up 24 goals as a rookie. He was a pick in the 20’s in Coronato’s draft. Is this Dallas selling high on a rookie who exceeded expectations or would they be trading a future star player? Benn is coming off a bounce back season but brings a $9.5M cap hit. He played with Backlund in junior and played for Huska. Huska commented in his Barnburner interview how Backs and Benn became fast friends on that team. Benn brings some bite and physicality that will be lost with Lucic leaving but could still be a fit on the top or second line. Getting out of the Coleman contract while it still looks manageable is a win and why they would take the Benn deal back

I think this deal gives Dallas a more defined contending window and gives the Flames a potential building block for the future but also should allow them to remain competitive immediately.
Vinny01 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2023, 07:55 AM   #100
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesfan05 View Post
Mittlestadt is very mediocre. He really doesn’t provide a whole lot now or the future. If you trade Lindholm or Hanifin, you would want a top 6 forward or a top 4 dman now or someone who can be a really good one in the future. Not someone in between
Primary assists per 60 at 5v5 (min 1000 minutes) in 2022-23:

1. MacKinnon
2. Marner
3. Draisaitl
4. Casey Mittelstadt
5. M Tkachuk

https://twitter.com/user/status/1669093548157812737

Not saying the Flames should trade for him, but he might be a bit underrated.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 1qqaaz For This Useful Post: