Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2015, 05:02 PM   #1721
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnySkittles View Post
I didn't ask a question though
Not many question but you said this

I don't understand how people can't look and see what Girgensons, Ceci, Maatta, etc are doing at the NHL level and say ' yeah, it'd be nice to have that shutdown center' or ' yeah, it'd be nice to have that stud defender to go along with Brodie'

I'm giving you the reason
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JiriHrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2015, 05:07 PM   #1722
JohnnySkittles
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
Not many question but you said this

I don't understand how people can't look and see what Girgensons, Ceci, Maatta, etc are doing at the NHL level and say ' yeah, it'd be nice to have that shutdown center' or ' yeah, it'd be nice to have that stud defender to go along with Brodie'

I'm giving you the reason
Fairplay. Though even if they all didn't play at the NHL yet I'd prefer most of them over Janko
JohnnySkittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 05:08 PM   #1723
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caged Great View Post
Girgensons - he had 3 more points than Mikael Backlund who missed 1/3 of the year. Not exactly awesome. We were never as bad as the Sabres, so he might not have reached the NHL yet with Calgary, and if he did, he would likely be occupying the space of Markus Granlund.

Not to turn this into a Girgensons thread, but please at least watch some of the player before you make comments on them...
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 05:11 PM   #1724
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The other element largely missed in all of this is that what's done is done.

People that didn't like the pick and think it was a mistake are entitled to that opinion. It's been shared.

It's at the point now where the guy is a Flame prospect for better or for worse, and this thread should be about his progression, updates, etc.

Instead, it's a sounding board for the same 3 or 4 guys with an outright vendetta to spew the same, tired venom over and over and over and over.

If you didn't like the pick, it would make sense to say that and move on. To beat a drum about it to the extent a few people continue to do is just outright bizarre. Let it go. The guy is in the system regardless of how that came to be.

I really get the impression these 3 or 4 individuals would prefer to see him bust just to justify all of their tired vitriol... and that is beyond sad.
GoJetsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 05:12 PM   #1725
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

This isn't directed at any one poster, but I just don't understand how anyone can have a strong opinion on jankowski good or bad, compared to the other players we could have drafted, when he hasn't played yet.
You could argue that other options might look better right now, but having a strong stance on the career trajectories seems silly at this point.
Mass_nerder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 05:18 PM   #1726
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post

Not to turn this into a Girgensons thread, but please at least watch some of the player before you make comments on them...

I know Girgensons is decent and will likely be a decent top 6 forward for Buffalo, but the fact is that Calgary tends not to rush their guys much and he probably would be playing in a depth role if the Flames took him instead.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 05:24 PM   #1727
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

If you haven't moved past the bolster and bravado of Feaster and Weisbrod you're doing yourself a disservice. It's best to throw away any and all (even your own) expectations and just allow a player to develop. Matt Stajan, Mikael Backlund, Joe Colborne a few of many names that don't live up to draft hype and expectations but end up being serviceable key cogs to their teams.

Kari Ramo was one of two best goalies outside the NHL Jay Feaster wax poetic about. Kari Ramo was not a world beater and didn't live up to such lofty levels but he did have a good year and playoffs as a 1a/1b option.

Throw away the chains of expectations or you'll forever be their slave.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 05:35 PM   #1728
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnySkittles View Post
Must we confuse a players potential with what he is currently. Girgensons is a good young player and I'd love to have him on the Flames but at this stage he's more likely to shutdown a Taco Bell then NHL players.
Old 06-06-2015, 05:59 PM   #1729
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
If you haven't moved past the bolster and bravado of Feaster and Weisbrod you're doing yourself a disservice. It's best to throw away any and all (even your own) expectations and just allow a player to develop. Matt Stajan, Mikael Backlund, Joe Colborne a few of many names that don't live up to draft hype and expectations but end up being serviceable key cogs to their teams.

Kari Ramo was one of two best goalies outside the NHL Jay Feaster wax poetic about. Kari Ramo was not a world beater and didn't live up to such lofty levels but he did have a good year and playoffs as a 1a/1b option.

Throw away the chains of expectations or you'll forever be their slave.
Well you need to have some expectations otherwise why would you draft the player. What I take umbrage with is the over the top expectations of a player, such as currently writing Jankowski in our line up as a sure thing, we just need to wait, just as there were many who took Weisbrod at his word at the time of the draft.

Sure let Jankowski develop to see what we've got but that has never been the way around here and as for taking away all expectations that's just another sign of the downgrading that you have done for Jankowski.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 06:10 PM   #1730
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post

Sure let Jankowski develop to see what we've got but that has never been the way around here and as for taking away all expectations that's just another sign of the downgrading that you have done for Jankowski.
Downgrading or upgrading to prospect is fine. I know you think that's your trump card but it's fine. I'm confused when/how I've done that. I've constantly said I'm not sure if he's an NHL player but we'll see. Could be scoring line potential on the wing, would be third line center if he makes it's. I don't know.

Hope my potential grades, up or down, doesn't cause you further umbrage.
Old 06-06-2015, 06:16 PM   #1731
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

But to your question - they drafted a guy that maybe had a similar perceived floor as a guy like Girgensons but a higher ceiling - so you take a chance on that upside, particularly for a franchise, that at the time, needed to take a couple of home run swings.
If your prospect base is weak you should be trying to make sure you land NHL players. Big swings and long projects is something a team with a deep prospect base can afford to do.
Hackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 06:21 PM   #1732
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackey View Post
If your prospect base is weak you should be trying to make sure you land NHL players. Big swings and long projects is something a team with a deep prospect base can afford to do.
None of this is black and white. It's about balancing risk and upside
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JiriHrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2015, 06:27 PM   #1733
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caged Great View Post
Girgensons - he had 3 more points than Mikael Backlund who missed 1/3 of the year. Not exactly awesome. We were never as bad as the Sabres, so he might not have reached the NHL yet with Calgary, and if he did, he would likely be occupying the space of Markus Granlund.
LOL. Just completely forgets to mention Girgenson missed a quarter of the season as well.
Old 06-06-2015, 06:30 PM   #1734
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
None of this is black and white. It's about balancing risk and upside
I would agree which is why I think taking a player with a lot of risk was kind of foolish given the fact we needed NHL players.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hackey For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2015, 06:32 PM   #1735
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

OK...that was a nice snipe by TT....

back to your regularly scheduled Jankowski bashing.
Old 06-06-2015, 06:36 PM   #1736
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Nope, where the Flames were it was wiser to go for a home run swing. We have plenty of guys then and now who can play bottom 2 lines.

imo, you always go for the highest potential, BPA.

Would you rather the team draft the likes of Chucko/Nemisz etc or like of Backlund/Janko? I'm not using Backlund cause he's at least an NHLer but the fact he was said to have 1st line potential at his draft.
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 06:47 PM   #1737
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
OK...that was a nice snipe by TT....

back to your regularly scheduled Jankowski bashing.
or Janko tire pumping...depending which camp you subscribe to of course...
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 06:49 PM   #1738
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
or Janko tire pumping...depending which camp you subscribe to of course...
Meh I think there's been minimum tire pumping, the other side has been saying "wait and see" approach.
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Da_Chief For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2015, 06:51 PM   #1739
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Chief View Post
Nope, where the Flames were it was wiser to go for a home run swing. We have plenty of guys then and now who can play bottom 2 lines.

imo, you always go for the highest potential, BPA.

Would you rather the team draft the likes of Chucko/Nemisz etc or like of Backlund/Janko? I'm not using Backlund cause he's at least an NHLer but the fact he was said to have 1st line potential at his draft.
Highest potential and BPA are not the same thing. If they were guys like Gaudreau wouldn't be 4th round picks.
Old 06-06-2015, 06:53 PM   #1740
Red Ice Player
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I would agree which is why I think taking a player with a lot of risk was kind of foolish given the fact we needed NHL players.
And again it's back to this. You keep repeating that this was a foolish pick, and to what end? We know your position. Can you suggest someone else from the Flames' organization who should be fired for this "foolish" decision besides Feaster and Weisbrod? If there isn't anyone, then who the hell cares about a three year old decision by a fired management team? And all the flowery praise you keep showering upon the picks we should have made, that is really getting old and boring and pointless and it shouldn't be in this thread. But you'll keep on reminding us on just how much you hate this pick. Just admit it. You hate this player and you want him to fail, so that you may self gloss that you were right all along.
Red Ice Player is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Red Ice Player For This Useful Post: