Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2022, 03:02 PM   #7521
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
When will the world's greatest democracy finally finish counting votes? It's weird how 90% of it is done in a few hours, then that last 10% drags out for days.
It's not really apples to apples with Canada. Many of the states have very complicated multi question ballots, and the voting time/counting systems are all over the place.

By contract Canada there is usually only 1 or 2 questions on the ballot, voting methods and counting systems are pretty uniform, early voting is becoming more common, but there is rarely some massive amount of weird voting methods.

But still I think there are people who have a vested interest in making the whole process harder.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 03:06 PM   #7522
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Doesn’t really matter how many things you are voting for the simple fill in the bubble form counted mechanically while leaving a paper trail for verification and Verifying but not counting of mail in ballots as received would end all of these problems.

It ridiculous that Canada and Alberta elections are only getting started on auto counting systems.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 03:11 PM   #7523
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
From what I understand, all of those rules were implemented by Republicans, and it's by design. If mail-in ballots were allowed to be counted prior to election day, then the results would be posted immediately as polls close, meaning many competitive districts would start with a heavy democrat lead and that would look bad for the GOP
Yeah, this is what I understand. Silly. Mail and early count can be withheld until X, if that is really important for some reason.
Release all those numbers at X Eastern time, after polls have closed across country.

Waiting a week for a count that could have taken place long ago is embarrassing actually. Ridiculous
EldrickOnIce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 04:07 PM   #7524
FormerPresJamesTaylor
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Mattata might be onto something, voting machines are often Missed Handled and votes are often Missed Placed
FormerPresJamesTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 04:18 PM   #7525
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
From what I understand, all of those rules were implemented by Republicans, and it's by design. If mail-in ballots were allowed to be counted prior to election day, then the results would be posted immediately as polls close, meaning many competitive districts would start with a heavy democrat lead and that would look bad for the GOP
This
Old 11-11-2022, 05:10 PM   #7526
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
This
Maybe mostly this, but not completely.
No one is slower counting than California.
Many ridings just over 50% counted now.
Ballots still expected as anything postmarked election day will be counted, and are still probably in transit.
They have 30 days after election day to count.
It's pretty slow in a lot of states, not just red ones.
EldrickOnIce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 05:39 PM   #7527
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

So it does indeed look like the Georgia runoff will be meaningless, which would be bad news for Walker, in addition to being unable to ride on Kemp's coattails. Still might be tough for the Dems to take the House, but a pretty horrible election for Republicans and for Trump especially.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1591225050673582084
Old 11-11-2022, 06:32 PM   #7528
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Democrat incumbent Governor has conceded from the race in Nevada moving aside for Republican Lombardo.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1591241487077019648
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 06:35 PM   #7529
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
So it does indeed look like the Georgia runoff will be meaningless
If only the Dems had also kept the House. How nice would it have been to be able to tell Manchin to go pound sand...
Old 11-11-2022, 06:40 PM   #7530
butterfly
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
When will the world's greatest democracy finally finish counting votes? It's weird how 90% of it is done in a few hours, then that last 10% drags out for days.
I have no idea why it takes so long. You fill out this big scantron, feed it into the machine, it displays a flag to show that it was accepted, you take your sticker, and leave.

The only delay would be mail-in ballots that were postmarked on Tuesday that should have been received on Wednesday or Thursday. And we're at 59% complete in my district.
butterfly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 06:41 PM   #7531
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathgod View Post
If only the Dems had also kept the House. How nice would it have been to be able to tell Manchin to go pound sand...
The house could still go to the democrats. I never really had a problem with Manchin. I think he genuinely represented what was best for his state, and if he didn't, it would be a republican. I had a much bigger problem with whatever craziness or corruptness motivated Sinema.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 06:46 PM   #7532
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

I believe it's because Murica is not 100% electronic. Brazil had almost 119 million people vote recently (mandatory for anyone over 16) on a Sunday and had all votes counted the same night. They moved to a 100% electronic system recently because it was taking way too long to manually count votes before which led to political tension in the days and weeks after election day.
The Following User Says Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2022, 07:44 PM   #7533
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

And now Marco Rubio is calling for a delay to Senate GOP Leadership vote with most people believing that some in the GOP are looking at ousting McConnell from his leadership role. They'll need 25 votes minimum to get it passed and I'm not sure they'll have enough MAGA-aligned Senators to go up against the old GOP guard.

Blake Masters blaming his loss on McConnell for dumping money everywhere except for Arizona.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1591240353310715909

Last edited by activeStick; 11-11-2022 at 07:47 PM.
Old 11-11-2022, 08:05 PM   #7534
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

If the house is only 3 or 4 seats to the GOP it will be fairly easy to peel off moderate Republicans for most contentious issues, Trump has had his nuts clipped so the GOP is about to go into full scale civil war
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 08:09 PM   #7535
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
If the house is only 3 or 4 seats to the GOP it will be fairly easy to peel off moderate Republicans for most contentious issues, Trump has had his nuts clipped so the GOP is about to go into full scale civil war
I think it's more complicated than that. It could go that way, or it could be that Greene, etc hold McCarthy hostage like Manchin/Sinema and they go full crazy.
Old 11-11-2022, 08:12 PM   #7536
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1591266806421155841

Not a good result for Lake, it might be done for her on this.
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yoho For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2022, 08:13 PM   #7537
Iowa_Flames_Fan
Referee

Exp:

CNN has called the Arizona senate race for Mark Kelly apparently.
Iowa_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 08:16 PM   #7538
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Finally Kelly gets the call. It was getting pretty obvious, but I have no problem with taking time on these calls.

I wonder if we can get to a place where we have mixed party caucuses governing within the 40 yard lines where they can pander to some of the others further out on the spectrum to get things passed? It's probably the best chance to move the country further and there is no better President than Biden to make it happen.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nfotiu For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2022, 08:35 PM   #7539
butterfly
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
I believe it's because Murica is not 100% electronic. Brazil had almost 119 million people vote recently (mandatory for anyone over 16) on a Sunday and had all votes counted the same night. They moved to a 100% electronic system recently because it was taking way too long to manually count votes before which led to political tension in the days and weeks after election day.
In California it is. You can either:

(a.) Early vote in person
(b.) Vote on election day in person
(c.) Mail in your ballot anytime from when you receive it to election day

If you choose either of the first two options, the machine already processed your vote before you left. I assume the mailed in ones need to be fed into the machine by a human, but there's no reason they can't have finished this process by now. It's baffling why we're one of the few states that seems to be this slow.
butterfly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 08:49 PM   #7540
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Fake Lake hasn't got a clue as to how votes are counted in AZ. Of course her rehtoric is an insult to the people who spent up to 18 hours a day counting those votes.

Then she goes on to claim she is 100% going to win

https://twitter.com/user/status/1591239016178802689