Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2018, 07:04 AM   #161
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Now that alt-right rag the New York Times is getting in on the action.

The Jordan Peterson Moment

Quote:
My friend Tyler Cowen argues that Jordan Peterson is the most influential public intellectual in the Western world right now, and he has a point...
The BBC, the Guardian, the Atlantic, New York Times - all demonstrating such terrible news values. Good thing Canada has a public broadcaster that has a real sense of what's important to Canadians and what's not.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 07:55 AM   #162
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Just beat out “Dog man and Cat Kid: From the Creators of Captain Underpants”

And esteemed list indicative of the importance it holds in our time, surely. It’ll be interesting who wins the Nobel prize.
Genuinely curious: Have you ever read any of Jordan Peterson's books?
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 09:29 AM   #163
lambeburger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Interesting read: Guy went from a self described Marxist to a moderate by watching Peterson's videos online and describes what he has learned. Definitely highlights why Peterson is so appealing in today's world.

https://medium.com/vandal-press/10-t...n-b54341559fc4
lambeburger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lambeburger For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2018, 10:01 AM   #164
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Now that alt-right rag the New York Times is getting in on the action.

The Jordan Peterson Moment

The BBC, the Guardian, the Atlantic, New York Times - all demonstrating such terrible news values. Good thing Canada has a public broadcaster that has a real sense of what's important to Canadians and what's not.
Is this not a glaring example of how the CBC simply and fully has run its course in Canada?

It used to be the CBC trumpeted everything and anything Canadian that was a player on the world stage when it comes to the arts and literature.

Now they have such a strong agenda they work off of, they are literally ignoring what may be the biggest and certainly most controversial Canadian at this time. Like he doesn't even exist.

Sign of the times.
Old 01-26-2018, 10:12 AM   #165
Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think that, even if you disagree with this particular editorial decision, existential debates regarding the CBC’s future need to take place within the context of its entire 80 year history. This decision is but one of thousands (and certainly isn’t proof on its own of anything).

Also, we should keep in mind that there is no CBC embargo of Dr. Peterson. He has been a guest and has been featured in a number of stories.
Old 01-26-2018, 10:14 AM   #166
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyah View Post
Genuinely curious: Have you ever read any of Jordan Peterson's books?
No, just his public speaking. I’m probably going to check this one out though to see what people are raving about.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2018, 10:38 AM   #167
Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makarov View Post
I think that, even if you disagree with this particular editorial decision, existential debates regarding the CBC’s future need to take place within the context of its entire 80 year history. This decision is but one of thousands (and certainly isn’t proof on its own of anything).

Also, we should keep in mind that there is no CBC embargo of Dr. Peterson. He has been a guest and has been featured in a number of stories.
Out of curiosity, does anyone have a sense of how many times Dr. Peterson has appeared on CTV, Global, City etc over the past couple of months? That would probably be the best evidence of bias or some deliberate policy on the part of the CBC (on this one issue).
Old 01-26-2018, 10:49 AM   #168
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's illustrative of the CBC's narrowing ideological orthodoxy in recent years. I'm a former journalist. For 25 years now I've analyzed and compared media as a kind of hobby. I know and understand the agendas at play when certain stories are covered or not covered, and how those stories are framed.

For 25 years I've listened to the CBC, and they're getting worse and worse. On any social issue, they no longer bother to present nuance or balance. They're ardent, dogmatic participants in the culture wars, who broadcast stories that are little more than polemics. I struggle to think of a single mainstream media outlet in the English-speaking world today that champions such a narrow credo. Help me out here - can you name any?

Quote:
They conducted a hostile interview of Peterson once, 18 months ago, when the Laurier story first broke. In fact, that was the first time I'd heard of Peterson, and the utter failure of Carol Off to engage with his points in that cringe-worthy interview was a big step in my ongoing disillusionment with the CBC. Since then, the CBC have not had him on, even as his prominence in Canada and elsewhere grew exponentially.

Why do you think the BBC, Channel 4, the Telegraph, the Atlantic, and the New York Times have all done stories on Peterson in the last couple weeks? Because Peterson has just released a book, and the editors of the most prestigious journalism outlets in the english-speaking world have their finger to the winds of public debate - that's their job. And I guarantee you the producers at the CBC have read every one of those articles, because having their finger to the winds of public debate is their job too.

It honestly doesn't strike you as strange that the top-selling book on Amazon in both the U.S. and Canada is written by a Canadian and yet it did not warrant a mention in CBC's 21 non-fiction books by Canadians to read in early 2018? Do you really think that wasn't a deliberate omission owing to the CBC braintrust's hatred of Peterson's politics?

The CBC has essentially no-platformed the most prominent Canadian intellectual in the world today because they don't like what he says. If you're okay with that, I think you need to admit that you simply want the CBC to be a mouthpiece for your own ideological beliefs.

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 01-26-2018 at 11:01 AM.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2018, 10:54 AM   #169
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Out of curiosity, does anyone have a sense of how many times Dr. Peterson has appeared on CTV, Global, City etc over the past couple of months? That would probably be the best evidence of bias or some deliberate policy on the part of the CBC (on this one issue).
CTV, Global, and City don't interview intellectuals, academics, and writers. That's why Canada has a public broadcaster in the first place.

TVO in Ontario has interviewed Peterson a couple times, though.
Old 01-26-2018, 11:05 AM   #170
Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

It honestly doesn't strike you as strange that the top-selling book on Amazon in both the U.S. and Canada is written by a Canadian and yet it did not warrant a mention in CBC's 21 non-fiction books by Canadians to read in early 2018? Do you really think that wasn't a deliberate omission owing to the CBC braintrust's hatred of Peterson's politics?

The CBC has essentially no-platformed the most prominent Canadian intellectual in the world today because they don't like what he says. If you're okay with that, I think you need to admit that you simply want the CBC to be a mouthpiece for your own ideological beliefs.
His book didn’t make the Globe and Mail or the National Post’s lists of best 100 books of 2017 either so, no, I don’t find it that strange. There is at least one reasonable explanation that does not involve a CBC conspiracy.

In terms of my own biases, I listen to CBC radio in the car regularly. I sometimes watch the National. Generally, I like CBC’s programming. But I don’t want it to be a mouthpiece for my political views (indeed, I frequently disagree with members of its panels on the National). Does that make me biased? Well, yeah, probably a little.
Old 01-26-2018, 11:08 AM   #171
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
His book didn’t make the Globe and Mail or the National Post’s lists of best 100 books of 2017 either so, no, I don’t find it that strange. There is at least one reasonable explanation that does not involve a CBC conspiracy.
The book wasn't released until 2018.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2018, 11:19 AM   #172
lambeburger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
There is at least one reasonable explanation that does not involve a CBC conspiracy.
One explanation is that CBC doesn't have a pulse on happenings going on outside their ideological echo chamber. They might not have even been aware that Peterson was releasing a book.
lambeburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 11:33 AM   #173
Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
CTV, Global, and City don't interview intellectuals, academics, and writers. That's why Canada has a public broadcaster in the first place.
W5 (for example) regularly interviews prominent people. It does not look like it has ever interviewed Dr. Peterson.
Old 01-26-2018, 11:41 AM   #174
Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The book wasn't released until 2018.
Well, that was a waste of time scrolling through those lists. Which CBC list are you referring to then? The “18 works of nonfiction from around the world to watch for in 2018”? If so, not one of those authors are Canadian. It seems like Canadians were expressly excluded from consideration.
Old 01-26-2018, 12:10 PM   #175
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

They were, because CBC did a specific list just for Canadian authors - it was posted on the last page.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2018, 10:06 PM   #176
robbie111
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Never heard of him till my sister mentioned him today and then saw the topic here. Went and had a look at the videos of him in his classroom and told my sister he totally reminded me of Scott McAlpine an old Poly Sci prof that my sister and I took classes from in Grande Prairie. Has the same speaking style and argues like the Philosophy prof John Langenbach at the same college. Went on and read about him and laughed hysterically when I saw he studied Political Science at GPRC. So for sure he studied under Scott McAlpine and I'd bet anything that he also took Philosophy courses with Langenbach. Jordan Petersen was there 2 years before I started. Six degrees of separation.

Last edited by robbie111; 01-27-2018 at 10:11 PM.
robbie111 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to robbie111 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2018, 11:01 PM   #177
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

This thread hasn't aged well.

https://twitter.com/user/status/956990503337172992
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to opendoor For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2018, 08:13 AM   #178
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looking forward to it. It's curious that only Canadian media have focused on how much Peterson makes from his Patreon account. An article in the Globe and Mail last year took the same angle:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...ticle35174379/

Edit: Just read the twitter thread - people are calling for a boycott of The Weekly because Mesley is interviewing Peterson. Too funny.

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 01-28-2018 at 08:18 AM.
Old 01-28-2018, 08:34 AM   #179
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Looking forward to it. It's curious that only Canadian media have focused on how much Peterson makes from his Patreon account. An article in the Globe and Mail last year took the same angle:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...ticle35174379/

Edit: Just read the twitter thread - people are calling for a boycott of The Weekly because Mesley is interviewing Peterson. Too funny.
It’s not really curious. He’s reported on more here than other countries because he’s Canadian, and most of his “controversies” originated in Canada.

It follows pretty standard that more coverage = more angles.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 09:22 AM   #180
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
It’s not really curious. He’s reported on more here than other countries because he’s Canadian, and most of his “controversies” originated in Canada.

It follows pretty standard that more coverage = more angles.
But he hasn't really gotten that much coverage in Canada - that's the point. I think the Globe and Mail has done two stories on Peterson in a year and a half, neither of which interviewed him. The Guardian did two stories on Peterson last week. The Toronto media establishment despises Peterson, and are doing their best to no-platform him.