Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-03-2022, 09:27 AM   #61
Macman
Self Imposed Retirement

Exp:

And I'm not inspired by partisan polarized people, not surprising this thread got derailed.
Macman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 09:32 AM   #62
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman View Post
And I'm not inspired by partisan polarized people, not surprising this thread got derailed.
Sorry, I don't speak in macman code. Are you now talking about the trucker convoy flying the fata trudeau flags being partisan and polarized, or are you saying the people who oppose shutting down borders and cities are partisan and polarized over their reluctant support of basic medical restrictions in order to preserve the integrity of our healthcare system?
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 09:39 AM   #63
Macman
Self Imposed Retirement

Exp:

How about you try and stay on topic here and stop derailing this thread.

Although I emphasize with the people who's lives are being disrupted my interest level in this trucker convoy is pretty close to 0, and you know why? Because I still have to go to work wearing a mask in close proximity to others who are doing the same thing to protect ourselves from getting covid!
Old 02-03-2022, 10:20 AM   #64
flamesfever
First Line Centre

Exp:

I get inspiration from my dog. Each morning before I get up, he comes to the edge of my bed and gives me a kiss, and I know it's his way of saying, "Come on Dad...time to get up".
flamesfever is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flamesfever For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2022, 03:17 PM   #65
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Sorry, I don't speak in macman code. Are you now talking about the trucker convoy flying the fata trudeau flags being partisan and polarized, or are you saying the people who oppose shutting down borders and cities are partisan and polarized over their reluctant support of basic medical restrictions in order to preserve the integrity of our healthcare system?
macman is the guy who sent me an insulting PM telling me how much he dislikes me and he's blocked me for being such a big loser.

But he can't help himself from unblocking me to see what I've posted.

I see by his posts to you that he's not only a jerk in private messages.

I'm assuming I'll hear from him again.

On topic, I wonder if traditional_ale still finds the trucker stuff inspiring, or he's beginning to be as disgusted as the vast majority of us.

edit: looking at my post, it reads as if Rick Bell wrote it. sorry about that.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 03:39 PM   #66
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kids. They're always happy. Why are adults not happy?

Kids are overjoyed with candies and chips.
Same chips and candies make adults freak out about calories and waist lines.

Getting taller was the problem... wasn't it?
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 06:08 AM   #67
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post

Kids are overjoyed with candies and chips.
Same chips and candies make adults freak out about calories and waist lines.

Getting taller was the problem... wasn't it?
Because adults overcomplicate the #### out of life and teach children to unlearn fun and to take things seriously and contain their excitement. We truly suck.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 07:17 AM   #68
Geraldsh
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Utube inspires me. No matter what knowledge or skill you lack, someone is there to show you and thus encourage you to try something new.
Geraldsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 08:10 AM   #69
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
How can some one say they're not inspired by anything? Maybe you're just not interested in anything and are lazy.

Are you abled bodied, healthy, maybe start there. Taking public transit alone is a real eye opener for me when you see people with disabilities out and about doing there daily things, makes my own problems seem irrelevant.
I probably am, thanks for the analysis. But I think I could uninspired, uninterested in anything, and also lazy. Nothing to say these are mutually exclusive. Or that it's a "you can only have two" scenario.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
Life experience has beaten the naivete out of them.

Last edited by Finger Cookin; 02-05-2022 at 08:14 AM.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 08:55 AM   #70
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Videos like this. I get this feeling of complete awe. Not from a “wow the universe is so big and we’re so small” perspective but from a sense of wonder that we can do #### like this.

https://www.reddit.com/r/interesting...cewalk_on_iss/
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 08:57 AM   #71
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’m on team Sliver here.

I’m not sure I even understand the concept of inspiration.

The basic concept is you see someone else struggle and overcome something that makes your struggles look trivial so you do better at something else.

The possible reasons are you living in such a privileged world that you never bothered to look out side of or a wired coping method to convince yourselves your serious problems aren’t that bad or you over exaggerate the problems in your world.

In any of these circumstances a person really needs to figure out what’s wrong with their world view as these brief moments of clarity aren’t going to fix the underlying issue. It also seems gross to watch other sufferings and use it while not helping them.

The other example is the Olympian who struggled to be the best in their field.

Is someone who was gifted working really hard, sometimes in an unhealthy manner, and achieving success inspiring? What does that inspire you to do? People working hard to achieve success is a generic part of life.

Then you have the Everest Climbers who put themselves at a 10% risk of death for a story. And we are supposed to find that level of poor judgment inspiring?

So I don’t get it. You evaluate what you want and take steps to do it
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2022, 09:31 AM   #72
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

I guess I take a more prosaic view of what is good in life.

I see someone shovelling a public walkway adjacent to their home and I think that’s a good thing he’s doing.

I hear a group of people laughing together on a patio and I think it’s good that they’re enjoying themselves.

I pause on my bike to watch a sunset at Glenmore Park and think it’s good to appreciate this.

But suffering and achievement (which seem to be essential to what people mean by inspiring) don’t enter into it. Suffering can be arbitrary and cruel, but its not ennobling. People achieve for all sorts of reasons - ambition, fun, inner drive, innate ability.

My brother is mentally disabled. He has a wall full of medals from Special Olympics. I love him. But he doesn’t inspire me. He’s a person as complex as any other.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2022, 08:54 AM   #73
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traditional_Ale View Post
Videos from people on the ground in Ottawa right now. Its Canadian Woodstock, and the most defining moment in Canadian history since Vimy Ridge. Its not a fringe minority, or nazis, or anything else the garbage media is spewing. Its an insane amount of every day people coming together and having a love-fest peaceful protest the likes of which are likely unprecedented as far as parliament hill goes. There will always be those that are evil and wrong in anything this huge. I am seriously considering cutting my Europe tour short to fly there and be with them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Jesus christ, what a load of bull####. You really are so tied up in your own delusions you can't see the reality of it. It's a tiny minority of Canadians stamping their feet like a bunch of toddlers because they can't have special privileges. That's it.
Quote:
Dude, that's weird. These people are a bunch of total morons. They're protesting to be allowed into Canada unvaccinated from a country they aren't allowed into unvaccinated. It's like a parade of dopes.

Plus they want to demand Trudeau's resignation. Fata that. That's not how democracy works. We don't intimidate our politicians into leaving office; we vote them out.

What about what they're doing do you support?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traditional_Ale View Post
When it all shakes down and if it turns I was wrong, I'll own it.
Just wondering if Traditional_Ale cares to chime in with his current thoughts...are these guys still heroes? Are you wrong? Are your thoughts on the protests evolving one way or another?
Old 02-11-2022, 09:02 AM   #74
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

I get inspired by couples with no kids in their 40s to 60s having a great time. Traveling, having drinks with friends, bicycling. They seem to have figured it out. And they always have superb gardens. They make life look fun.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 09:06 AM   #75
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Then you have the Everest Climbers who put themselves at a 10% risk of death for a story. And we are supposed to find that level of poor judgment inspiring?
Kind of OT, but whenever these guys give their motivational speeches, it does the opposite for me. I'm always thinking, why the heck is this supposed to inspire me? The fact that you did something you enjoy for your own self satisfaction? Sure, it's hard, and it's physically challenging, but at the end of the day, you did it for yourself to stroke your own ego. If I go out and "challenge" myself in beating a level in a video game, should I be holding motivational speeches about it too, and telling people how great I am and the mental struggles I had to overcome to do it?
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Yen Man For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2022, 09:08 AM   #76
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
Kind of OT, but whenever these guys give their motivational speeches, it does the opposite for me. I'm always thinking, why the heck is this supposed to inspire me? The fact that you did something you enjoy for your own self satisfaction? Sure, it's hard, and it's physically challenging, but at the end of the day, you did it for yourself to stroke your own ego. If I go out and "challenge" myself in beating a level in a video game, should I be holding motivational speeches about it too, and telling people how great I am and the mental struggles I had to overcome to do it?
Oh totally. They always come across as so selfish, too. I fataing hate basically any motivational speaker. Watching somebody self-indulgently fellate themselves on stage is unbearable.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2022, 12:09 PM   #77
Macman
Self Imposed Retirement

Exp:

So inspiration isn't a real thing then? lol

I guess I'll just have to disagree. I'm inspired although I do find it can take some real time to actually do things and focus on things.

I want to go to a Tony Robbins seminar, I think he's been doing some online through the pandemic but I still want to go to an in person one. Who knows when that will be though.
Old 02-16-2022, 12:24 PM   #78
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
So inspiration isn't a real thing then? lol

I guess I'll just have to disagree. I'm inspired although I do find it can take some real time to actually do things and focus on things.

I want to go to a Tony Robbins seminar, I think he's been doing some online through the pandemic but I still want to go to an in person one. Who knows when that will be though.
Interesting. I see Tony Robbins as a snake oil salesman bilking rubes out of their hard-earned money.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2022, 01:08 PM   #79
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Interesting. I see Tony Robbins as a snake oil salesman bilking rubes out of their hard-earned money.
I find greatness inspiring. This is most often observable in people that excel at their craft.

I don't even have to appreciate what the person is doing, but as long as they're great at it, I'll get some inspiration out of it. You may not appreciate the motivational message, but it's hard to deny that Tony Robbins is an incredibly engaging speaker. I wouldn't say I find him inspiring for what he says, but I am inspired by what he does and the way he does it.

On the flip side, I loathe people that there are in over their heads, or basically bad at what they do. I do not subscribe to 'fake it 'til you make it' mantra. And I'm not talking about someone that's learning to golf, or a junior employee, but I can't stand if someone is in a position of consequence and they either don't put in the appropriate effort or are just plain bad at the task at hand. This always strikes me as "snake oil salesmen" of life.

Piggybacking on your example, there are plenty of people out there that aren't great speakers, or even great at something to the point of being inspiring... and I'm perfectly fine with that. Where it bothers me - the point of consequence - is when they decide to charge money and take people's time, for something less than it should be. To me, that's a grift and there are plenty of those people out there.
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 01:26 PM   #80
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by you&me View Post
I find greatness inspiring. This is most often observable in people that excel at their craft.

I don't even have to appreciate what the person is doing, but as long as they're great at it, I'll get some inspiration out of it. You may not appreciate the motivational message, but it's hard to deny that Tony Robbins is an incredibly engaging speaker. I wouldn't say I find him inspiring for what he says, but I am inspired by what he does and the way he does it.

On the flip side, I loathe people that there are in over their heads, or basically bad at what they do. I do not subscribe to 'fake it 'til you make it' mantra. And I'm not talking about someone that's learning to golf, or a junior employee, but I can't stand if someone is in a position of consequence and they either don't put in the appropriate effort or are just plain bad at the task at hand. This always strikes me as "snake oil salesmen" of life.

Piggybacking on your example, there are plenty of people out there that aren't great speakers, or even great at something to the point of being inspiring... and I'm perfectly fine with that. Where it bothers me - the point of consequence - is when they decide to charge money and take people's time, for something less than it should be. To me, that's a grift and there are plenty of those people out there.
I don't experience enjoying somebody great at their craft as inspiring. I appreciate it. Perhaps I'm moved by it. But I'm not inspired by it. Not kidding, I don't think I have that emotion in me anymore.

Maybe the last time I was inspired was after I left the first Fast and the Furious movie. I drove home like a madman. That movie inspired me to want to wring the most I possibly could out of my car and drive like a lunatic.

If you're not taking that thing that supposedly inspired you and actively doing something to change your behaviour in a way to bring you closer to that which inspired you, I would argue you have not been inspired. To be inspired requires you to make a change in your life.

If we're going to throw in anti-inspiration, I'd say I'm anti-inspired by careerists. There's no trait on planet earth a person can possess that is more off-putting to me than somebody driven and motivated by climbing the corporate ladder or just over-working for the sake of work. Put your energy - to the extent possible - into hobbies and personal relationships. Work is lame.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post: