Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2022, 08:46 AM   #4081
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

This could be in this thread somewhere and I'm not sure. But if I bought alcohol at a duty-free and had a connecting flight when I get into Canada, is there any issue? I think it should be fine as I'd come through customs and not need to do security again, but just wanted to make sure. I also think they might use secure bags to make sure that the contents aren't tampered with? Anyway...before I buy something and have it confiscated for a CBSA party, could anyone enlighten me?
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 09:08 AM   #4082
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
This could be in this thread somewhere and I'm not sure. But if I bought alcohol at a duty-free and had a connecting flight when I get into Canada, is there any issue? I think it should be fine as I'd come through customs and not need to do security again, but just wanted to make sure. I also think they might use secure bags to make sure that the contents aren't tampered with? Anyway...before I buy something and have it confiscated for a CBSA party, could anyone enlighten me?
You need to know a) if there’s a terminal change requiring to go through security again for your connecting flight and b) if duty-free shop provides acceptable sealed bags. If a) is a yes, I wouldn’t be buying alcohol anyway, as the risk of losing it is quite high. But the sealed bags are ok in SOME airports, where you don’t leave the secured area.
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainYooh For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2022, 10:31 AM   #4083
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

With all that is going on, I guess I wouldn't bother with buying stuff with the risk of loss and or breakage. I mean are you looking to buy something rare? Or is the discount that much to be worth it?

Then again, I didn't understand the guy with 50 live lobsters in his luggage that got lost by the airlines for a week+ At that point you basically give up and wouldn't even want the suitcase back anyhow.
chemgear is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2022, 11:49 AM   #4084
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
With all that is going on, I guess I wouldn't bother with buying stuff with the risk of loss and or breakage. I mean are you looking to buy something rare? Or is the discount that much to be worth it?

Then again, I didn't understand the guy with 50 live lobsters in his luggage that got lost by the airlines for a week+ At that point you basically give up and wouldn't even want the suitcase back anyhow.
Yeah, I’d only want to do it if I could bring it as a carryon. But I also don’t want to surrender it. It’s super irritating.
Old 08-04-2022, 12:34 PM   #4085
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Seeing as the topic has come up, I have to admit that I have rarely bought stuff at the duty free at airports. Are prices indeed worth it versus say like ordering it online when you get home? (I've never really done the price comparison) Isn't carrying it around a pain in the ass? Are they more like souvenirs for things that you forgot to purchase during the trip and just gifts for people when you get back home?

Yes to all of the above?
chemgear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 12:46 PM   #4086
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Old 08-04-2022, 01:15 PM   #4087
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Seeing as the topic has come up, I have to admit that I have rarely bought stuff at the duty free at airports. Are prices indeed worth it versus say like ordering it online when you get home? (I've never really done the price comparison) Isn't carrying it around a pain in the ass? Are they more like souvenirs for things that you forgot to purchase during the trip and just gifts for people when you get back home?

Yes to all of the above?
I usually buy Scotch that we don't get here. I often find different varieties in the Duty Free, and the price is good decent.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2022, 03:24 PM   #4088
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I usually buy Scotch that we don't get here. I often find different varieties in the Duty Free, and the price is good decent.
This is actually exactly why I was asking. And it depends, but sometimes the deals are actually really good.
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2022, 03:38 PM   #4089
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
This is actually exactly why I was asking. And it depends, but sometimes the deals are actually really good.
FWIW I flew from Glasgow to Calgary via Halifax before the pandemic and didn't have an issue. The bags were sealed. I also bought whiskey in Japan a year before and flew through Vancouver without issue. They did check the seals on the bags, but that was it.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 08:22 PM   #4090
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Was looking at all inclusive from YYC to Mexico… holy cr@p how pricing has increased the last few months compared to pre-C19! what was let’s say ~$5k is now $7-8k. Even just a flight-only to PV or Maz’l’n is nearly $2k… used to be sun $800’ish. And yet we can be fairly sure the local workers don’t earn any more and it’s more profit taking than “inflationary pressures”. IMO.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 09:50 PM   #4091
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lots of people who like to travel haven’t gone on a trip in three years. Household savings are at an all-time high. We’re not going to see a return to pre-covid travel costs any time soon. If ever.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2022, 01:52 AM   #4092
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh, the joys of traveling. I knew something would happen to screw up our first real post-covid vacation. Our plane out of YYC is grounded and now we are tail swapped. Hopefully they keep the delay under 1.5 hours and we can still make our connection in Toronto. What a mess.

Additional edit: US Customs at YYZ is a disaster. If it wasn't for our Nexus cards we would have missed our connection. The customs line was about 200 to 300 people and it was crawling because there was only 5 or 6 border agents. No one in the Nexus line and we were through Customs in a few minutes. Now the big question is whether or not our checked bag makes it onto our flight.

Last edited by calgarygeologist; 08-05-2022 at 07:33 AM.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 07:37 AM   #4093
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
Oh, the joys of traveling. I knew something would happen to screw up our first real post-covid vacation. Our plane out of YYC is grounded and now we are tail swapped. Hopefully they keep the delay under 1.5 hours and we can still make our connection in Toronto. What a mess.

Additional edit: US Customs at YYZ is a disaster. If it wasn't for our Nexus cards we would have missed our connection. The customs line was about 200 to 300 people and it was crawling because there was only 5 or 6 border agents. No one in the Nexus line and we were through Customs in a few minutes. Now the big question is whether or not our checked bag makes it onto our flight.
Spoiler: It didn't
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to malcolmk14 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2022, 09:56 AM   #4094
Byrns
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Anyone know how the passport situation is these days? I need to renew my daughter's passport. (travelling at Christmas)

Do I trust doing a mail-in?
Byrns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 11:54 AM   #4095
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Lots of people who like to travel haven’t gone on a trip in three years. Household savings are at an all-time high. We’re not going to see a return to pre-covid travel costs any time soon. If ever.
For some their savings may have improved but for some of us we suffered unexpected job loss and extended under-employment spread over nearly 2 years. So that’s my problem and my reference point. Still… definitely feel like some industry’s are taking excessive advantage of consumers.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 12:34 PM   #4096
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieRich View Post
For some their savings may have improved but for some of us we suffered unexpected job loss and extended under-employment spread over nearly 2 years. So that’s my problem and my reference point. Still… definitely feel like some industry’s are taking excessive advantage of consumers.
Airlines and hotels are going to charge the maximum they can and still fill their seats/rooms. Same as they always have. Sucks if you’re planning a vacation, but that’s the market.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 01:21 PM   #4097
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrns View Post
Anyone know how the passport situation is these days? I need to renew my daughter's passport. (travelling at Christmas)

Do I trust doing a mail-in?
Apparently mail-in is not recommended at this time, as they're still working through the backlog:

Quote:
CBC News asked Families Minister Karina Gould, the minister responsible for passport services, how Canadians should approach passport applications in the upcoming weeks.

Should I mail my passport application?

You're better off not mailing your passport application for the time being because of the "huge backlog," Gould said.

"For some people, mail is the only option, and we want to make sure that channel is available to them, but the passport system is really designed as an in-person service," she said.

Gould added that going in-person allows officers to review personal documents required for passport applications, such as birth certificates and citizen cards, and return them immediately.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montr...ions-1.6522095

The article goes on to suggest that if you don't have urgent travel plans, you might be better of waiting until September. In Calgary, I would normally recommend dropping the application off at the Sundance office, which will get processed in Calgary. However, I'm not sure if they'll let you apply at Sundance if you're not travelling in the next 45 days, in which case your other option would be to apply in person at a Service Canada Office (there is one in Royal Oak, one across from McMahon Stadium, and one in Temple).
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2022, 01:48 PM   #4098
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmk14 View Post
Spoiler: It didn't
It is a miracle and the checked bag arrived. Even better it was one of the first five on the carousel in Florida. I feel like I've hit the jackpot.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2022, 08:52 PM   #4099
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieRich View Post
Was looking at all inclusive from YYC to Mexico… holy cr@p how pricing has increased the last few months compared to pre-C19! what was let’s say ~$5k is now $7-8k. Even just a flight-only to PV or Maz’l’n is nearly $2k… used to be sun $800’ish. And yet we can be fairly sure the local workers don’t earn any more and it’s more profit taking than “inflationary pressures”. IMO.
Industry costs are up, but just as importantly, there is pent up demand to travel. Everyone and their dog I know are going to Europe this summer it seems like. Raise the prices and people want to go badly enough that they will pay.
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 09:01 PM   #4100
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny199r View Post
Industry costs are up, but just as importantly, there is pent up demand to travel. Everyone and their dog I know are going to Europe this summer it seems like. Raise the prices and people want to go badly enough that they will pay.
Yup, there's more people wanting to travel than there are flights. I was in Europe last month and booked back in March. It wasn't cheap, but it was okay. Closer to the time, I considered adjusting my flights and there basically was nothing back from Europe (any of the main airports, any date in July) that wasn't at least business class.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote