Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2022, 01:49 PM   #2001
ripTDR
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I sorta get why some might be hesitant to wear masks again. I got a new job during covid, and we were mandated to wear their crappy doctors type of mask at work though I could see nothing on the box that they were N95. Nothing fitted no deviations. They were uncomfortable and for someone who has smallish ears and a bigger head they would tug and get sore where elastic was. Meanwhile I have seven fitted masks that were comfortable enough to wear working out, probably did the same job and really didn't make a difference long term for comfort. I wear them out right now. If they want to mandate masks, I suggest being flexible, or at the very least, have approved diversity of masks that people could wear if they choose to.
ripTDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 02:03 PM   #2002
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

I'm not jumping into wearing masks again very often, but I really wish people who were sick would wear them. Like, you or your kid are coughing? PUT A FATAING MASK ON YOU PRICK.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2022, 02:12 PM   #2003
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
I'm not jumping into wearing masks again very often, but I really wish people who were sick would wear them. Like, you or your kid are coughing? PUT A FATAING MASK ON YOU PRICK.
Yeah, and I dont think this is too unreasonable.

If you're sick either stay home or wear a mask.

This is something that our culture simply needs to adopt. And it isnt terribly onerous either.

"I dont want to wear at mask at work all day tho!"

Well Good News! You dont have to! Because if you're sick enough that you should be wearing a mask then you shouldnt be at work in the first place!

I'm all over the place in regards to Work From Home, but at the end of the day what he have done is proven that depending on the type of work, in limited periods of illness, it can be done.

If you're a teacher then sure, you cant just 'Work From Home.' Sorry, its just the nature of your industry, however if you're a teacher you cant be showing up to class sick either, masked or otherwise.

Kids are dropping like flies at the moment and everyone has to be careful. Much as 1 sick kid can generate many sick kids, 1 sick teacher can generate many more sick kids.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg

Last edited by Locke; 11-17-2022 at 02:22 PM.
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2022, 02:20 PM   #2004
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don’t know if the CBE stats reflect this, but I wonder if this is a sign that parents are being considerate and not sending their sick kids to school, as opposed to more sick children than same time in previous years.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 02:25 PM   #2005
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
I don’t know if the CBE stats reflect this, but I wonder if this is a sign that parents are being considerate and not sending their sick kids to school, as opposed to more sick children than same time in previous years.
It would be interesting to know, that is if theres a way to track it.

Thing is, this should be 'old hat' by now. We've been through 2 years of a Pandemic, systems and routines should be in place or at least known where contingencies can be implemented.

Its not like the old days when if a kid has the sniffles its too bad so sad, go to school!

If a kid is sick a parent can WFH until the kid is better, or something. Kids can learn remotely, parents can (largely) work remotely. Its not ideal, but its better than the alternative.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 11-17-2022, 02:54 PM   #2006
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

The CBE sent out stats today for the percentage of kids sick by school. My kids school is at ~8% which doesn’t seem worrying. The big percentages are in the elementary schools. I have no idea what a baseline would be, so it’s all kind of meaningless without context.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 03:02 PM   #2007
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Primary schools are very challenging environments to prevent spread of infectious disease. I really feel for everyone who's been in a primary school environment since covid started.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnnyB For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2022, 03:27 PM   #2008
belsarius
First Line Centre

Exp:

Year my kid's grade 1 class was down to 8/26 kids for a full week and under half for the better part of 2 weeks.
The @NHLFlames are the first team to feature four players each with 50+ points within their first 45 games of a season since the Penguins in 1995-96 (Ron Francis, Mario Lemieux, Jaromir Jagr, Tomas Sandstrom).
belsarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 03:31 PM   #2009
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
An emergency doesn't have to be fatal to be an emergency.
Tell that to the horse's parents.

I feel you may have missed the joke in my original post.
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to D as in David For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2022, 03:35 PM   #2010
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'm with you posters who wish sick people would wear masks. Honest question - if you're sick and wearing a mask and have to sneeze; do you sneeze into the mask or remove the mask and sneeze into your arm?

Please be B). I can't imagine how unpleasant it would be to sneeze into a mask with a sinus full of mucus.
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 03:38 PM   #2011
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by D as in David View Post
I'm with you posters who wish sick people would wear masks. Honest question - if you're sick and wearing a mask and have to sneeze; do you sneeze into the mask or remove the mask and sneeze into your arm?

Please be B). I can't imagine how unpleasant it would be to sneeze into a mask with a sinus full of mucus.
I like sneezing into the mask though. Its like a game to see how far away I can get the mask away from my face using nothing but the force of the blast.

Then you take the mask off and slather it over your co-worker's keyboard while they're not looking and put a new one on. Do not do this.

Its time to get crazy people!!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2022, 04:42 PM   #2012
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
The CBE sent out stats today for the percentage of kids sick by school. My kids school is at ~8% which doesn’t seem worrying. The big percentages are in the elementary schools. I have no idea what a baseline would be, so it’s all kind of meaningless without context.
Not sure if this is the context you were looking for...

https://twitter.com/user/status/1593348008116387840
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 04:43 PM   #2013
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh, here's the percentages, so 8% is on the lower end.

https://www.cbe.ab.ca/about-us/schoo...ronavirus.aspx
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 04:44 PM   #2014
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'd like to stake out my perfectly hypocritical position that I think there should be a mask mandate, and I probably wont wear a mask until they are mandated.

I don't know why, I just don't feel I am the type of person who walks around displaying an abundance of caution on my face, but I am perfectly happy to display caution when the rules say I should.

I think there are more people like me that in the other fewer categories, while I think a lot of them would not admit it. But sometimes putting in these rules and not really enforcing them just gives people like me the social license we need to do the thing that is most prudent right now, when we probably wouldn't otherwise.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to #-3 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2022, 05:14 PM   #2015
Cowboy89
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post

But you’re gonna sit here and pretend that anything government mandated should just be voluntary? And that if everyone doesn’t do it already, then government intervention is stupid?
LOL, that's not what I said at all.

Last edited by Cowboy89; 11-17-2022 at 05:23 PM.
Cowboy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 06:22 PM   #2016
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by #-3 View Post
I'd like to stake out my perfectly hypocritical position that I think there should be a mask mandate, and I probably wont wear a mask until they are mandated.

I don't know why, I just don't feel I am the type of person who walks around displaying an abundance of caution on my face, but I am perfectly happy to display caution when the rules say I should.

I think there are more people like me that in the other fewer categories, while I think a lot of them would not admit it. But sometimes putting in these rules and not really enforcing them just gives people like me the social license we need to do the thing that is most prudent right now, when we probably wouldn't otherwise.
I got covid a month ago and it wasn't a big deal. I won't wear a mask unless I have to because I'm not really worried about myself, but I also don't really have a problem if I have to wear a mask if the infection rates and hospital #'s are too high. There's no way for me to know that though unless the gov't tells me, which I doubt will happen with the current clown show
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 06:40 PM   #2017
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't see why people give a #### about wearing masks. They're protective at best and a temporary minor inconvenience - if at all - at worst. When I spent time in Japan it was commonplace for people to wear a mask everywhere, and this was before COVID. It was just fine.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2022, 04:53 AM   #2018
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
I don't see why people give a #### about wearing masks. They're protective at best and a temporary minor inconvenience - if at all - at worst. When I spent time in Japan it was commonplace for people to wear a mask everywhere, and this was before COVID. It was just fine.
If you wanted to put a bag over your head I’m all for it, but stop trying to force others to do what you think is noble . I dont want to live like you.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1593471177019641856

https://twitter.com/user/status/1593434020129701890

Last edited by Yoho; 11-18-2022 at 05:39 AM.
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 05:51 AM   #2019
TheKiprusoffResurrection
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
How about people who are sick stay home? Anybody who is sick enough to be hacking and coughing shouldn't be out in public, mask or no mask. They certainly shouldn't be attending work or school. Anything else they need can be delivered.

Masks are not infallible, if they were nobody would care if anyone else had one on. Putting on a mask doesn't mean you can go about your life while sick, you're still spreading disease if that's what you're doing.
TheKiprusoffResurrection is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheKiprusoffResurrection For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2022, 06:36 AM   #2020
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

Overheard a conversation in the checkout line last evening. Two people talking, one wearing a mask, one not. The person wearing the mask, told the other she was wearing the mask because she has a cold. The other person said, oh yes, I have a cold as well! Didn't seem to think anything of going out in public while sick and not wearing a mask. This is why we can't have nice things.
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bigtmac19 For This Useful Post: