Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2022, 09:40 AM   #1401
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Without going into any spoilers, was The Book of Boba Fett worth watching? I really enjoyed the Mandalorian, is it similar?
You need to watch it as you get Mando season 2.5 in it. Overall, it was 3.6 roentgen.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2022, 11:08 AM   #1402
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Without going into any spoilers, was The Book of Boba Fett worth watching? I really enjoyed the Mandalorian, is it similar?
The actual Boba Fett episodes range from average to bad and are really kind of pointless. But then they also sandwiched in a couple pretty good Mandalorian episodes in the middle that you'll need to watch to know what's going on in Mando S3. So overall, I'd say you should watch it, it's a pretty quick watch.
OutOfTheCube is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2022, 03:24 PM   #1403
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yup, Book of Fett is worth it. Lots of star wars candy on it.
Old 03-10-2022, 05:46 PM   #1404
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Yeah if you plan on watching Mandolorian S3, then you need to watch the Book of Boba Fett.

It looks like it fills in a lot of plot points since the S2 finale.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2022, 09:58 AM   #1405
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Obi-Wan will premiere on May 27 now, pushed back 2 days. But we will be getting the first two episodes of the series now instead of just one.

https://twitter.com/obiwankenobi/sta...jfhs-a_2mGwRiQ
Old 03-31-2022, 10:03 AM   #1406
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I just finished watching Rebels again. That last season was just incredibly strong without a lot of wasted motion. Thrawn really was a chilling victim who was cold, dispassionate and one step ahead of the Rebels.

The last two episodes as well as the Kanan death arc were so good in a lot of ways that they'd rank as my favorite Star Wars moments.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 12:32 AM   #1407
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

2:42 is great.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 08:42 AM   #1408
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

6:45 is a favorite of mine as well. I do love this video, but it makes me feel so sorry for the cast. I mean its sad with Daisy, when she first got the role, she was so enthusiastic about being in the Star Wars movie, but really by the Rise of Skywalker she had pretty much checked out, and she's clearly left Star Wars behind as most of the new cast members have.

Just watching that video while hilarious is kind of sad.

Old 04-25-2022, 11:14 PM   #1409
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://www.gamesradar.com/ewan-mcgr...-vader-scared/

Quote:
"I’ve never met Darth Vader," he tells Total Film in the new issue of the magazine, which features Obi-Wan Kenobi on the cover. "I had rehearsed the scene with Vader, but not with the helmet on or anything like that. When we came to do the scene, when they shouted 'action', he had to come from behind me. I turned around, and ####ing Darth Vader was coming at me. It was like I was six again. I’d never acted into Vader’s helmet. I’d never looked him in the eye.

"It scared the #### out of me," he chuckles. "I’m not joking. It gave me a proper jolt of absolute fear. I was like, ‘Oh my God, that’s not acting. That’s real. I’m really, truly frightened right now.’ And the same thing would happen with the Stormtroopers. I’d worked with Clone troopers before, but so many of them were CGI. I never worked with Stormtroopers, and, again, I was like seven years old again. Because when you’re actually faced with a Stormtrooper, with a blaster, it’s like: ‘####ing hell.’

"It’s like actual childhood memories of being scared. That’s how deeply it’s in us. I’ve acted for 30 years, and I’ve never been genuinely frightened when I’m acting frightened... But I had moments on this that were genuinely quite scary. It’s so funny.”
Reminded me of this...

Old 04-26-2022, 09:23 AM   #1410
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Ewan is awesome. For a long time people came out and said he hated to prequels and was done. But watching the out takes of the making of the Prequels he showed a lot of joy, and talked about loving playing Obi-Wan.

It feels like he's all in with this show.

Old 04-26-2022, 09:59 AM   #1411
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Again, the Prequels had a cohesive story arc. Say what you want about the movies, but there is a story arc from Ep 1-3. Obi Wan is a big part of that arc and it doesn't surprise me Ewan liked doing it.

Ep 7-9 had no arc whatsoever, and that's why the prequels still have a fan following and the sequels don't/won't.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2022, 01:21 PM   #1412
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I will say it again. I loved the underlying story line in the PT. The republic was not all sunshine and roses. There was slavery, poverty on the outer ring and exploitation of the outer ring by the rich worlds in the middle. The Jedi had become entitled and wealthy, and clumsy in terms of their mission often coming in on the wrong side of issues. At the same time, the senate was slow moving and corrupt.

Even without a Sith Lord pushing over the whole rotten pile, the Republic was probably doomed to failure. We saw the Clone Wars series really flesh that out. People didn't trust the Jedi at all.

This was a story about the rise of authoritarianism and the welcome death of Liberty by the masses who wanted something else.

We kept hearing that the Jedi and Sith were nearly identical in their pursuits.

The Jedi were about knowledge to power. The Sith about gaining power to get knowledge.

The Jedi were about peace and democracy. The Sith about Peace and Order.

In the end the most poignent piece was Padme bitterly remarking that "This was how Liberty dies, with thunderous applause". And it was true. In the Senate the thunderous applause came from the corruption of the Senate. But on the streets and especially in the outer rings of the galaxy, there was thunderous applause at seeing a system that had failed them so miserably being replaced with something else.

Palpatine was absolutely evil . . . from a certain point of view. But Good and Evil is merely a concept of perception, and to him the Jedi were evil for their hypocrisy, limited viewpoint of the Force, and their willingness to prop up a corrupt republic. We saw that with the eagerness that the Jedi became Generals and Commanders to fight not for the Force, but for the government. They doomed themselves. But at the same time, Palpatine was a reformer in his own mind. He thought that what he was doing was for the best for the Galaxy.

Oh and we saw what happened when the Empire collapsed and was replaced by the Old Republic. Slavery, corruption and the rise of lawlessness returned.

Old 04-26-2022, 10:33 PM   #1413
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Couldn't disagree more, if you are claiming the underlaying story of the PT was good, than you are probably leaning into extended content to do so.

The underlaying story was a big part of the problem, I once heard it described this way; In our heads the Jedi were this roving band of lone wolf warrior monks, then we saw the open 5 minutes of PM and realized they are were nothing more than tax collectors with marvel superpowers and cool swords, 300 seconds in and 20 years of myths completely burst.

That and they just completely and utterly failed to motivate Anakins fall in any way. Some 20 minute budget cartoons have done more to explain why he would have turned on the other Jedi than 3 feature productions ever did. The crappy scripts and direction and casting and acting could all have been forgiven, if only they had just made the Jedi a little more mysterious to the general population of the galaxy and given us a believable reason for Anakin to hate the Jedi, those were story problems.

(I will grant you cinematography, special effects, world build second to none, but none of those have anything to do with the story).
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 10:18 AM   #1414
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by #-3 View Post
Couldn't disagree more, if you are claiming the underlaying story of the PT was good, than you are probably leaning into extended content to do so.

The underlaying story was a big part of the problem, I once heard it described this way; In our heads the Jedi were this roving band of lone wolf warrior monks, then we saw the open 5 minutes of PM and realized they are were nothing more than tax collectors with marvel superpowers and cool swords, 300 seconds in and 20 years of myths completely burst.

That and they just completely and utterly failed to motivate Anakins fall in any way. Some 20 minute budget cartoons have done more to explain why he would have turned on the other Jedi than 3 feature productions ever did. The crappy scripts and direction and casting and acting could all have been forgiven, if only they had just made the Jedi a little more mysterious to the general population of the galaxy and given us a believable reason for Anakin to hate the Jedi, those were story problems.

(I will grant you cinematography, special effects, world build second to none, but none of those have anything to do with the story).
I said it had a story arc. I didn't say it was good.

The sequels simply didn't have a cohesive story.
Old 04-27-2022, 01:57 PM   #1415
bdubbs
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Here's a question then: do you think it would be possible for them to create a Clone Wars-esque show that could redeem the sequel trilogy?
bdubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 02:02 PM   #1416
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdubbs View Post
Here's a question then: do you think it would be possible for them to create a Clone Wars-esque show that could redeem the sequel trilogy?
I'm sure they'll try. But I don't think the sequel trilogy is salvageable.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 1qqaaz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2022, 02:03 PM   #1417
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

With the story being so disjointed, I don't know how you could.

You could come up with a Clone Wars-esque show that fits between Ep 6 and 7, but not sure how you tie in the garbage that is Ep 8 & 9.
Old 04-27-2022, 02:15 PM   #1418
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
With the story being so disjointed, I don't know how you could.

You could come up with a Clone Wars-esque show that fits between Ep 6 and 7, but not sure how you tie in the garbage that is Ep 8 & 9.
A major problem would be that episode 8 laid waste to everything. There was literally almost no one left at the end of that movie....except the exceptionally large and unknown force in the middle of nowhere that the Emperor was building. How do you work with that to make any kind of cohesive story.

Sure you could have little side adventures, but the major plot points in both 8 and 9 just came out of nowhere, I'm not sure how you could explain those away or tie them together.

Perhaps you could have a series with Palpatine's agents as the underlying bad guys. But as you say, that probably fits best between 6 and 7. It might give more depth to 9 and take away from the Snoke killing in 8. You could also tie in the Jedi training collapse with more Kylo Ren backstory?
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 02:59 PM   #1419
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

They did try with Resistance, but it was just as disjointed and confusing, and the main character was unlikeable and they cancelled it after 2 seasons.

Old 04-28-2022, 01:08 PM   #1420
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

They just need a holiday special where they all take turns spitting on a picture of Johnson and then announcing they are retconning the sequels and starting fresh.