Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2017, 06:38 PM   #361
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

If any baby boomers are sitting on a pile of cash and about to croak, I'm setting up a gofundme. It's called the stuff for PaperBagger'14 fund.
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PaperBagger'14 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2017, 07:44 PM   #362
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Story on the news today that amazon is potentially entering the pharmaceutical marketplace
Old 10-09-2017, 10:07 PM   #363
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperBagger'14 View Post
If any baby boomers are sitting on a pile of cash and about to croak, I'm setting up a gofundme. It's called the stuff for PaperBagger'14 fund.
I wouldn't worry too much about it, Over the next 5 years as the average boomer leaves the labour force and switches from a growing savings account to a shrinking savings account, inflation will pickup quickly.

It will burn Boomers savings faster than expect, and National banks will likely raise interest rates in response to shrinking savings accounts and a strong consumer economy, raising the burden on debt ridden Millennials.

By the time Boomers run out of money, they will not have to means to produce an income once again burdening the younger generations.

Not really relevant to the Amazon thread other than to say I predict Amazon will do very well over the next 20 years, as Boomers continue spend, dumping the debt burden on future generations.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 10:55 AM   #364
Bongo
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Their children will be the beneficiaries of the greatest inter-generational wealth inheritance the world has seen. 30 trillion dollars in North America alone.

Which is nice if your parents are middle class or well-off. Not much of a consolation otherwise.
My parents are quite well off. They have made it very clear, many times, that I receive no inheritance and all assets will be donated to multiple charities of their choosing. Why would I give you a bunch of money when we kick the bucket, you're more than capable of making your own money.
Bongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 10:58 AM   #365
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

nm
Old 10-10-2017, 11:28 AM   #366
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongo View Post
My parents are quite well off. They have made it very clear, many times, that I receive no inheritance and all assets will be donated to multiple charities of their choosing. Why would I give you a bunch of money when we kick the bucket, you're more than capable of making your own money.
I doubt that attitude is very widespread. Especially if there are grandchildren involved. The average Canadian today inherits $100k, usually in the form of a share of a family home. That number is going to go higher as the wealthiest generation to ever walk the planet starts to die off.

Canada will likely revert to the way families were 100+ years ago, and still are in most of the world: an intergenerational economic unit where much of a person's property and wealth will come through inheritance. One of the reasons the property market has far outpaced incomes is because young adults in Canada often have access to family capital. Not many young couples can afford a $500k mortgage. The bank of mom and dad bridges the gap.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2017, 01:25 PM   #367
Bongo
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
I doubt that attitude is very widespread. Especially if there are grandchildren involved. The average Canadian today inherits $100k, usually in the form of a share of a family home. That number is going to go higher as the wealthiest generation to ever walk the planet starts to die off.

Canada will likely revert to the way families were 100+ years ago, and still are in most of the world: an intergenerational economic unit where much of a person's property and wealth will come through inheritance. One of the reasons the property market has far outpaced incomes is because young adults in Canada often have access to family capital. Not many young couples can afford a $500k mortgage. The bank of mom and dad bridges the gap.
Must be nice for those people. My parents came from nothing and expect people to make their own way in the world. We provided food and a roof until you were 18. You're on your own from here. Also couldn't apply for student loans because my parents made too much money. Lots of summers spent up north working so I could pay for school.
Bongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 03:16 PM   #368
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
Story on the news today that amazon is potentially entering the pharmaceutical marketplace
Sweet. AmazonBasics Oxy
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Barnes For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2017, 05:58 PM   #369
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Maybe we need a Boomer tax so they can pay their way finally. Or at least an estate tax to get some of it after they die. We hear that Boomers have all this wealth, right?
I would definitely agree with a tax on the transfer of wealth from the boomers to their kids that will happen in the next 30-40 years.

They screwed us all over. Might as well get something out of it to prolong the misery.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 06:42 PM   #370
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnes View Post
Sweet. AmazonBasics Oxy
Delivered in mere hours right to your door by drones
Old 10-18-2017, 11:50 AM   #371
para transit fellow
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I think other provinces are more serious about this HQ proposal:

Ontario government investing $30 million in Vector Institute to bring home Amazon HQ bid
https://mobilesyrup.com/2017/10/18/a...id-30-million/
para transit fellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 11:59 AM   #372
Violator
On Hiatus

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by para transit fellow View Post
I think other provinces are more serious about this HQ proposal:

Ontario government investing $30 million in Vector Institute to bring home Amazon HQ bid
https://mobilesyrup.com/2017/10/18/a...id-30-million/

New Jersey offered seven billion in tax breaks.
Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 12:47 PM   #373
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ no shock - I only wonder what this does to all of the business in NJ who pay taxes and do you get companies shopping themselves around to whomever will give them the best tax rate/concessions?
Old 10-18-2017, 12:48 PM   #374
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
^ no shock - I only wonder what this does to all of the business in NJ who pay taxes and do you get companies shopping themselves around to whomever will give them the best tax rate/concessions?
Yes just like Arenas, the Boeing and Foxconn subsidies combined with Havens like Ireland have led to a raise to the bottom.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 05:08 PM   #375
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Amazon is getting out of control. Probably the only thing that Trump has made sense on.

Don't think it'll be too long before we see an internet tax.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 05:20 PM   #376
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
Amazon is getting out of control. Probably the only thing that Trump has made sense on.

Don't think it'll be too long before we see an internet tax.
They need to do the forced split of the Big tech companies like they did in telecom and Standard Oil. Monopolies do not serve public interest.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 05:30 PM   #377
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongo View Post
It's possible your parents hate you.
OutOfTheCube is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 08:38 AM   #378
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Taking a page out of the Nenshi 2010 playbook?

Quote:
KOMO News @komonews

Tomorrow is deadline for Amazon HQ2 bids. Someone is pushing for Calgary by tagging sidewalks near Amazon in Seattle (Photos: David Moody)pic.twitter.com/mhI4EfTg3c

tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 08:49 AM   #379
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
They need to do the forced split of the Big tech companies like they did in telecom and Standard Oil. Monopolies do not serve public interest.
Is Amazon really categorized as a monopoly though? There are a few other large online retailers out there; and Amazon itself is more of an amalgamation of different retailers. I guess they should split off some of the groups though, like HP had done over the years.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 08:52 AM   #380
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Calgary offers Amazon sweeteners for headquarters, but no tax incentives

http://calgaryherald.com/business/lo...tax-incentives

... bet you it's free real estate.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote