Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2019, 10:21 AM   #4501
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Money is why they had so many meandering storylines. Stretch things out as long as possible, squeeze a couple more seasons. But realistically with tighter writing and pacing they could have wrapped things up with maybe a 12-13 episode season six.
Old 04-30-2019, 10:23 AM   #4502
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
I think you missed the point of the article. The point was that in the first 4 seasons, when somebody ####ed up they paid a steep price. When they challenged the wrong person, showed poor judgement, or lead with their heart and not their head, blood was spilled. Whether they were a good person or an audience favourite was irrelevant. Every choice had consequences. Folly was punished.
I get the point and admit there is some truth to it.
Just pointing out that closing up some storylines had to be done quickly to move forward towards a conclusion and that article conveniently omits that.

Theyre also choosing to ignore any stories that don't fit their arguement.
How about Jorah being a spy on Danyres and almost getting her killed in season 1 or 2.
He conveniently got away with that Folly unpunished.

That's just 1 example I thought of in 2 seconds which is worse than Sam & the sword.
If you dissect the first 4 seasons as closely as the recent ones, I'm sure there's many more.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 10:26 AM   #4503
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post

Theyre also choosing to ignore any stories that don't fit their arguement.
How about Jorah being a spy on Danyres and almost getting her killed in season 1 or 2.
He conveniently got away with that Folly unpunished.
He got banished from Dany's inner circle and ends up getting greyscale, I wouldn't exactly call that un-punished.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FlameOn For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2019, 10:28 AM   #4504
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
There's 3 episodes left, we have no idea if those points will be addressed.
I suspect they will.
Perhaps with the spinoffs coming they won't answer every one?
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 10:29 AM   #4505
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Perhaps with the spinoffs coming they won't answer every one?
All will be answered in the new series: Everyone Loves (The Three-Eyed) Raven
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 10:38 AM   #4506
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy City View Post
All will be answered in the new series: Everyone Loves (The Three-Eyed) Raven
"That's So (Three Eyed) Raven" the more obvious choice.
Old 04-30-2019, 11:10 AM   #4507
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
"That's So (Three Eyed) Raven" the more obvious choice.
Complete with flash backs and visions hahah it's perfect!
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 11:22 AM   #4508
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

One thing that hasn't really been mentioned yet, is that we now appear to be in "no more extra lives" territory, with the departure of the red woman.

From this point forward, if you die, that's it by the looks of things. Will be fascinating to see how it plays out..

"I am actually more excited for the Oilers game tomorrow than the Flames game. I am praying for multiple jersey tosses. The Oilers are my new favourite team for all the wrong reasons. I hate them so much I love them."
IliketoPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 11:37 AM   #4509
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltaGuy View Post
We have no reason for why after 8,000 years the NK woke up. We don’t know why he wanted Bran, or what killing Bran would accomplish. We don’t know why he wanted sacrificial babies. Why he made symbols out of body parts. What would he have done if he killed Bran?

This isn’t a secondary villain: this is the big bad from the opening scene of the pilot. Jon Snow’s whole raison d’etre. The source of magic and mystery throughout the show. A guy who can kill dragons with lances. Ok, forget that part.

The NK deserved better treatment, as did the WW, and so from my POV did the whole series.
Actually, we know the foundation to a lot of these questions.

The NK never slept, he was always there. After being driven back by the first men he has been building his army. Only White Walkers can resurrect the dead, hence the baby sacrifices...he was amassing/growing "Generals", I suppose you could call them. And slowly as those north of the wall died, he built his army from the dead. With a Dragon he was able to fall the wall, which had magical properties preventing the White Walkers from crossing it (it's why Uncle Benjen could never return home, he was part White Walker).

The NK wanted Bran because he is all of man's knowledge and history. The NK was created by the Children of the Forest to protect them against the first men. Their entire purpose and motivation is to kill people and wipe humanity from the world. It's not complex, but there it is.

It seems like a let down that 7.5 seasons of build ended in the first battle of Winterfell, but it's not like the writers did a disservice to the power and threat of the undead. Had it not been for a trained assassin everyone would have been dead. All these great northern Houses, the Dothraki, the Unsullied, the Vale, all major characters in the battle. At least I got the feeling it was that dire in the closing moments.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2019, 11:44 AM   #4510
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think the people pining for negative consequences to actions will get their wish when the decimated alliance armies sans 1-2 dragons march south. With a bonus of Jaime and Tyrion now moving against a pissed off double crossed Cersei and Bronn. There's three 1.5 hour long episodes left so lots of time for death and despair.

I also think a lot of the claims about plot armour are a bit misplaced. Jorah and Theon were two major characters that have been in the show since episode 1. I think maybe because they weren't as popular people don't count their deaths as substantial but Jorah alone probably has almost as many lines and screen time as The Hound, Brienne, and Podrick combined.

Last edited by DiracSpike; 04-30-2019 at 11:46 AM.
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 11:57 AM   #4511
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pretty big strategical error by the Night King. If you are the only thing keeping an entire army alive, maybe best to stay on your throne and let your dudes do the fighting. Bring me Wheelchair kid, I'll be hanging out here enjoying some nice iced margaritas.

It would be like the Death Star's exhaust port walking into Yavin Base and hunting down Luke. No reason for that risk!
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2019, 12:26 PM   #4512
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Pretty big strategical error by the Night King. If you are the only thing keeping an entire army alive, maybe best to stay on your throne and let your dudes do the fighting. Bring me Wheelchair kid, I'll be hanging out here enjoying some nice iced margaritas.

It would be like the Death Star's exhaust port walking into Yavin Base and hunting down Luke. No reason for that risk!
I think the idea was that the NK needed to make physical contact with Brann on some urgent basis. He was under the impression that the path was safe and all the humans had been defeated... What he didn't account for? Arya the super stealthy ninja, who goes undetected.

The problem isn't with the NK's strategy, but the powers being given to Arya. It makes for a cool moment, but she unlikely one. That being said Arya did train with a group of people with supernatural powers.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 12:31 PM   #4513
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Eh, I think it was more due to arrogance. You could see it in how he dealt with John. And how he dealt with Theon. The arrogance allowed Arya to get the drop on him.

And, I mean, plot too, obviously. But the logical choice would be to stay home and have him brought to you.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 01:00 PM   #4514
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
I think they just ran out of time to tell the story in the way we are used to. They could not keep this young cast together forever. And, running out of source material.
That and the show was getting more expensive by the year as how long could ratings warrant $90 million a season budget? This isn't TWD where they are always filming outside of Atlanta with the same small cast and some zombie effects. The show is extremely expensive with a massive cast filming in different parts of the world.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 01:05 PM   #4515
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

Obviously NSFW. He has some pretty good critiques, and he's entertaining as always!

Quote:
After 30 minutes of inactivity, Bran goes into screen saver mode.
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 01:20 PM   #4516
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltaGuy View Post
We have no reason for why after 8,000 years the NK woke up. We don’t know why he wanted Bran, or what killing Bran would accomplish. We don’t know why he wanted sacrificial babies. Why he made symbols out of body parts. What would he have done if he killed Bran?

This isn’t a secondary villain: this is the big bad from the opening scene of the pilot. Jon Snow’s whole raison d’etre. The source of magic and mystery throughout the show. A guy who can kill dragons with lances. Ok, forget that part.

The NK deserved better treatment, as did the WW, and so from my POV did the whole series.
-Probably because it was the start of the next natural winter in Planetos, and it seems they thrive off of cold and darkness. And because of human conflicts like at Craster's they had stopped sacrificing the babies, which if wiki theories are to be believed, might be part of some sort of pact made after the first Long Night to keep him and his forces at bay.

-They literally showed you why he wanted sacrificial babies. So he can turn them into his white walker generals.

-They already stated what killing Bran would accomplish. Were you paying attention during episode 2? He represents the memories and history of mankind. He wants to wipe that out to ensure an endless night. As Sam puts it "what are we without our memory?"

-What else would he make what appears to be his signature symbol out of to be unmistakably his? What else would make a more fitting statement from the embodiment of death?

Some things are better left to be wondered about, even though I think most things you were asking about were answered, even if it wasn't spelled out by the night king himself to every one in a history classroom. A little bit of wonder adds to the frightfulness and mystique of it all. If it was all laid out in a way that wouldn't be game of thrones at all, then you'd all say "really? that's what I thought. that's lame." Deep down you know the definitive answers wouldn't satisfy you. The whole appeal of the NK threat is the mystery surrounding it.

This dissecting of everything is like all the whiny critics on RT that just sound like the incessant child in the backseat that says "but why?....but why?..... why though?"

Just enjoy the ride and don't think it to death, pun intended.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2019, 01:54 PM   #4517
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiracSpike View Post
I also think a lot of the claims about plot armour are a bit misplaced. Jorah and Theon were two major characters that have been in the show since episode 1. I think maybe because they weren't as popular people don't count their deaths as substantial but Jorah alone probably has almost as many lines and screen time as The Hound, Brienne, and Podrick combined.
Two major characters with redemption arcs who had "DESTINED TO DIE HEROICALLY" stamped on their foreheads for the last three seasons.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 02:16 PM   #4518
AltaGuy
AltaGuy has a magnetic personality and exudes positive energy, which is infectious to those around him. He has an unparalleled ability to communicate with people, whether he is speaking to a room of three or an arena of 30,000.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
If it was all laid out in a way that wouldn't be game of thrones at all, then you'd all say "really? that's what I thought. that's lame." Deep down you know the definitive answers wouldn't satisfy you. The whole appeal of the NK threat is the mystery surrounding it.
Nah.

It's ok if you really like it though!
AltaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 02:28 PM   #4519
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

The white walkers were probably meant to represent a natural disaster that could overrun humanity if we squabble among ourselves.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2019, 02:42 PM   #4520
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Link
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post: