Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2022, 03:08 PM   #481
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny199r View Post
Eating out at a restaurant in a large group. For a million reasons it is the absolute worst. I don’t understand why people do it, or why others try to pressure people into going with them.

Anything more than a table of 4 is a headache waiting to happen.
Preach it. The worst is when more and more people drift in, like at a work function, and people feel some kind of compulsion to start dragging tables together to join into one long table. As if the people on either end will be able to talk to each other anyway. It’s ####ing moronic.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2022, 03:12 PM   #482
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Preach it. The worst is when more and more people drift in, like at a work function, and people feel some kind of compulsion to start dragging tables together to join into one long table. As if the people on either end will be able to talk to each other anyway. It’s ####ing moronic.
Love when people re-arrange a restaurant or bar themselves solely for the perception that you're sitting at the "same" table as someone 10 people away.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2022, 03:16 PM   #483
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Love when people re-arrange a restaurant or bar themselves solely for the perception that you're sitting at the "same" table as someone 10 people away.
I’ve grown a backbone a few times and suggested “hey, let’s not make mega-table” and people look at you like you just took a dump on the floor. Then they carry on dragging tables while waitresses try to hide their annoyance.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2022, 04:00 PM   #484
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

1. Waiting for everyone to arrive. Want to just order and eat now? I don't think so! We simply have to wait for everyone else that can't read a clock and didn't arrive at the previously agreed upon time because they have no respect for others!

2. Sit at different tables? No Way! You only get magic powers when you sit at a table with 15 other people. Does it matter you can't talk to them all? (even though you probably have interest in that anyway) Nope!

3. Disappointed that there's no available table for 10 at 5:30 pm or lunch time at your favorite restaurant? Who could have seen that coming! Take 2 or 3 separate tables instead? But then you won't get to watch that relative or co-worker you really don't like eat with their mouth full!!

4. Do you love hearing people asking for annoying substitutions for their meal? I know I do! Pretty good odds of that with 15 people! Especially with lots of ladies! (sorry, its true)

5. The food didn't all come out at once? Yours is taking 20 minutes longer than the first people who got there's and now it's just awkward for them sitting around waiting? No way was that predictable!

6. Having trouble with the bill? Not easy for the server to split the bill for everyone for some reason.? No problem! Your food cost $12 but everyone's share is now somehow $25 because other people are terrible!

7. Did you only have an hour to eat, but you still don't have your food because your ordered as part of a big, unorganized group! Of course so!

8. Want to just eat your meal and leave? How rude! You simply must sit around for another 45 minutes and make small talk as you're bored out of your mind!

My wife has a bigger extended family who enjoy this form of torture. I refuse to ever be a part of it. Niece's high school graduation? I'll happily sit through a boring 3 hour high school graduation, 100%. Extended family dinner out after? Count me out - (That was actually my life today)

Nice relaxing Sunday morning? Better go a busy breakfast restaurant, wait around forever so you can watch relatives eat! Not a chance I'm doing that.

Bonus points if you're somehow expected to pay for other adult relatives sometimes for some inexplicable reason.

Last edited by Johnny199r; 06-24-2022 at 04:07 PM.
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Johnny199r For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2022, 04:07 PM   #485
puckhog
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
This. Asphalt is a temp fix until the next crew comes to reform the curb. Then a crew comes to pour the curb, but as concrete volume goes, yards of concrete only have so much time in the truck before it firms up so they need an efficient collection of forms.

Then another crew has to come to remove the forms before the final crew can come to pour and finish the sidewalk. Usually winter comes somewhere in between these steps.

You'll accept your asphalt and learn to like it.

I should add, a major burden on this situation is the massive amount of infill construction that breaks the sidewalks for utility connections. There's some in my neighbourhood that have been asphalt patches for a year but they're on a list. Way down a list.
Over the pandemic we’ve watched this play out across the street. There was a water line issue under the street, so the city came out, tore up the road and sidewalk (and part of the neighbour’s lawn and driveway), fixed the pipe issue, filled and put down the temporary asphalt.

Turns out they didn’t do the fill properly, so the temporary fix sunk into a massive hole. Come back, tear it all out and replace with temporary asphalt again. That holds up reasonably well over the winter.

Last summer, they come back, tear out the temporary stuff, finally put the final forms and pour the sidewalk, fix up the driveway and lawn and everything looks great. Then for some unknown (to me) reason, they’ve had to come back, tear all of the final stuff out and we’re back to the temporary asphalt, which has sunk (but not quite as bad as the massive hole previously.

You’re line “You’ll accept your asphalt and learn to like it” is 100% accurate.
puckhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 08:29 PM   #486
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny199r View Post
1. Waiting for everyone to arrive. Want to just order and eat now? I don't think so! We simply have to wait for everyone else that can't read a clock and didn't arrive at the previously agreed upon time because they have no respect for others!

2. Sit at different tables? No Way! You only get magic powers when you sit at a table with 15 other people. Does it matter you can't talk to them all? (even though you probably have interest in that anyway) Nope!

3. Disappointed that there's no available table for 10 at 5:30 pm or lunch time at your favorite restaurant? Who could have seen that coming! Take 2 or 3 separate tables instead? But then you won't get to watch that relative or co-worker you really don't like eat with their mouth full!!

4. Do you love hearing people asking for annoying substitutions for their meal? I know I do! Pretty good odds of that with 15 people! Especially with lots of ladies! (sorry, its true)

5. The food didn't all come out at once? Yours is taking 20 minutes longer than the first people who got there's and now it's just awkward for them sitting around waiting? No way was that predictable!

6. Having trouble with the bill? Not easy for the server to split the bill for everyone for some reason.? No problem! Your food cost $12 but everyone's share is now somehow $25 because other people are terrible!

7. Did you only have an hour to eat, but you still don't have your food because your ordered as part of a big, unorganized group! Of course so!

8. Want to just eat your meal and leave? How rude! You simply must sit around for another 45 minutes and make small talk as you're bored out of your mind!

My wife has a bigger extended family who enjoy this form of torture. I refuse to ever be a part of it. Niece's high school graduation? I'll happily sit through a boring 3 hour high school graduation, 100%. Extended family dinner out after? Count me out - (That was actually my life today)

Nice relaxing Sunday morning? Better go a busy breakfast restaurant, wait around forever so you can watch relatives eat! Not a chance I'm doing that.

Bonus points if you're somehow expected to pay for other adult relatives sometimes for some inexplicable reason.
It kinda makes me happy that we’re annoyed about trivial public things again.
Regular_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 09:27 PM   #487
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regular_John View Post
It kinda makes me happy that we’re annoyed about trivial public things again.
“again”? I never stopped!
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Johnny199r For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2022, 10:26 PM   #488
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

If you don't like people dragging tables maybe you should drag your own in advance and claim them!
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2022, 10:37 PM   #489
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

We do big group outings for work and it never seems as chaotic and suppressing like other posters are suggesting. Maybe just different types of personalities?

We have done everything. Different tables if it's busy and no reservation, big long tables where people mingle with close people at first and then get up and mingle with others as the night goes on, big tables that keep everyone together more and everyone talks and laughs together.

I think big gatherings and hatred of them are more about the people involved than the setting and/or table situation.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2022, 10:41 PM   #490
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Basically:
https://twitter.com/user/status/1539725668056973312
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2022, 10:46 PM   #491
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Yep, I've experience that. It's crazy how one opinionated, loud person can take over an evening.

I also love the Larry David take on the "middle" guests. You need good middle people or everything falls apart. "You have to carry the conversation, you have to be interesting. You're the point guard there, you have to carry the ball. They can't middle!".

Last edited by jayswin; 06-24-2022 at 10:51 PM.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2022, 10:56 PM   #492
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

People that go on about mundane details about their uninteresting lives without the awareness that it is uninteresting and that no one else has the same level of investment in what they're talking about should definitely be on the fringes lol.

Ideally you want someone that can ask good questions steering the discussions who can get every one involved. Or a good storyteller.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 12:18 AM   #493
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
People that go on about mundane details about their uninteresting lives without the awareness that it is uninteresting and that no one else has the same level of investment in what they're talking about should definitely be on the fringes lol.

Ideally you want someone that can ask good questions steering the discussions who can get every one involved. Or a good storyteller.
Hmmm funny how so many social situations, typically IMO groups of 4 or more, seem to have all those types. Even here.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 09:28 AM   #494
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Man, f some of these employers out here. 70K a year for a professional role with education, certifications and years of experience requirements? ####ing hilarious.
Old 06-27-2022, 09:30 AM   #495
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
Man, f some of these employers out here. 70K a year for a professional role with education, certifications and years of experience requirements? ####ing hilarious.
Employers "There's a labour shortage!"

There's no labour shortage, there's just a shortage of people willing to be underpaid and ####ed over
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2022, 11:56 AM   #496
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Work meetings that run long. It's such a lack a respect for people's time. i'm in a meeting that's already gone 30 minutes over. I'm leaving for lunch no matter what.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2022, 12:13 PM   #497
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
But it is totally awesome when you make appropriate arrangements at a proper restaurant for you and a bunch of your friends and you all get hammered as you feast together.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2022, 06:09 PM   #498
chubeyr1
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Neighbours?

They are putting out food to attract birds, crows specifically, but now we have squirrels, Magpies, gophers, mice, and skunks all coming to eat.

For 25 years we never had an issue with vermin.

Now we do.

The first solution I came up with was kill my neighbours. Yet I have already been in prison. Yet it would be an effective solution.

Or I could talk to them? Did you know crows have souls? Yah we talked.

I don’t think praying that gophers skunks and mice to go away will work with prayer. If I pray it will not be for the vermin to go away, just the new neighbours.

Suggestions?
chubeyr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 06:17 PM   #499
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

To be honest, I’d like to hear more about your incarceration if you’re willing to share.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2022, 06:38 PM   #500
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
To be honest, I’d like to hear more about your incarceration if you’re willing to share.
I presume they were guilty of paragraphacide.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post: