Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2021, 12:01 PM   #4001
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
Last Night in Soho was a great ride from start to finish. Loved the storyline, even though I saw the ending coming a mile away. Still, excellent film. The musical score really lifts it to new heights. Can't wait to get that soundtrack.
I liked the visuals and 60s settings, and the acting by the lead was strong. Just wasn't crazy about how long some of the hallucinations dragged out. Felt like there was a lot of filler runtime that didn't serve much purpose aside from trying to be spooky but ultimately falling flat and kind of bogged down the pacing. Found myself spacing out a bit.

The old lady was the same actress that played Lady Olenna in GOT. Some parallels between the two for sure haha.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2021, 04:47 PM   #4002
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
I liked the visuals and 60s settings, and the acting by the lead was strong. Just wasn't crazy about how long some of the hallucinations dragged out. Felt like there was a lot of filler runtime that didn't serve much purpose aside from trying to be spooky but ultimately falling flat and kind of bogged down the pacing. Found myself spacing out a bit.

The old lady was the same actress that played Lady Olenna in GOT. Some parallels between the two for sure haha.
Ya the start and end of Soho were great, but man that middle dragged on for way too long. About the 3rd or 4th time she hallucinated and freaked out in public I decided to fast forward to any kind of actual plot development
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2021, 05:14 PM   #4003
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
The 1982 remake of The Thing is an all-time classic. I think I've watched it 20+ times. The cast is actually very solid for a horror movie in those days.
One of the reason it holds up is the characters are recognizable, normal people who behave in a believable manner. In most horror/action movies the characters are walking cliches who behave like idiots.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2021, 01:58 PM   #4004
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Spider-Man: No Way Home was way better than I expected, the story was really well done despite a premise I was not at all sold on before going in. Had a real blast, instantly one of my favourite MCU films.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2021, 02:57 PM   #4005
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
One of the reason it holds up is the characters are recognizable, normal people who behave in a believable manner. In most horror/action movies the characters are walking cliches who behave like idiots.
Groups splitting up is one of the main horror movie cliches. In a horror movie when a group of people are in peril they always split up and go their own way to investigate different areas. This is a mechanism for having the characters stalked and killed off easily one by one by this unseen monster or murderer so only the main characters find out what they are dealing with in the final climax. Once MacReady figured out one of them was the thing, he came up with a plan of keeping everyone together in a room and trying to figure out who it was. MacReady is no genius as that's pretty well what any sane person would do in that situation where someone in a group is a suspect. Also made for a pretty cool scene when they did the blood testing.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 06:50 PM   #4006
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
Spider-Man: No Way Home was way better than I expected, the story was really well done despite a premise I was not at all sold on before going in. Had a real blast, instantly one of my favourite MCU films.
Inject it into my veins.

Doing an 18+ VIP screening tomorrow night with drinks. Its gonna be a fun, painless day at work.
Old 12-15-2021, 08:16 PM   #4007
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

wasn't sure where to post this, but Denis Villeneuve is now attached to direct Rendezvous with Rama...

Great book, great director, so I am sure I will recommend it at some point down the road.

https://collider.com/denis-villeneuv...thur-c-clarke/
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to oldschoolcalgary For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2021, 06:28 PM   #4008
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Really want to see "Minari", but Crave only has it with French subtitles. How hard is it to provide English subtitles??
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 07:25 PM   #4009
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Really want to see "Minari", but Crave only has it with French subtitles. How hard is it to provide English subtitles??
It's on Prime too if you have that.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 07:39 PM   #4010
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
It's on Prime too if you have that.
Unfortunately just Crave and Netflix. I am surprised that a foreign language film couldn't be released with subtitles in other languages besides French.
Old 12-17-2021, 08:53 PM   #4011
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Uh. “Prisoners of Ghostland”. What am I watching? This is either an instant cult classic or a horrible attempt at merging Kill Bill and Mad Max together.
Old 12-18-2021, 10:18 PM   #4012
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Remember that best comedy of each decade discussion? Damn Austin Powers is up there. One of those movies like Ace Ventura that crossed over from just a movie and became a cultural phenomenon. Few other movies were so frequently parodied and imitated in popular culture. The opening credits dance number alone makes it a legendary comedy.

Also, the soup nazi from Seinfeld plays the blackjack dealer.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 06:24 AM   #4013
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

It’s true. Austin Powers is cinematic legend.
Old 12-20-2021, 08:39 AM   #4014
kootenayguy9
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
It’s on Prime Video if you have Amazon prime with English subtitles. Great movie!
kootenayguy9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 12:59 PM   #4015
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Scream came out 25 years ago today. One of the most influential horror movies of all time. After it came out there was a sub genre of self aware slashers with big name teens.
Im recently doing a rewatch before Scream 5 and I have to say the first one still holds up. The 2nd one while not as good is still very strong. The third one is well it's my least favorite one by a wide margin.
Nadal Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2021, 02:04 AM   #4016
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Watched "Hook" last night after about a 25 year gap in between viewings. Absolutely stunned how well it has stood up. My wife really enjoyed it as her first viewing.

As an adult I greatly appreciated all the small details I was too lazy to notice as a kid. Things like the costumes, the reference to storybook characters, and performances by Hoffman, Huskins and Maggie Smith. And most of all, the musical score. What an amazing soundtrack from start to finish.

Made me sad knowing Robin Williams isn't with us anymore.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2021, 08:53 AM   #4017
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not sure what to say about Malignant. I will give James Wan an A for effort. How he managed to secure what looks like a sizeable budget for this idea is a feat in itself. The first half of the movie is pretty effective modern horror but once the killer is revealed later in the movie I found it so jarring that I just couldn't get back into it. I'm not sure if the intention was to shift into so bad it's good territory or if this is a case of really committing to a laughable idea.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2021, 03:59 PM   #4018
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Uh. “Prisoners of Ghostland”. What am I watching? This is either an instant cult classic or a horrible attempt at merging Kill Bill and Mad Max together.
Tokyo Gore Police, Why Don’t You Play in Hell?, or Tag are better films by the same director. Not sure what ghostland was going for but it didn’t really work. Probably would have been better without Cage.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2021, 04:39 PM   #4019
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
It’s true. Austin Powers is cinematic legend.
And just like the matrix it will probably be the next series to get a fourth installment 20 years after the fact.

Myers was on as Dr Evil on talk shows just a couple years back and there have been rumours forever.
Old 12-24-2021, 10:12 PM   #4020
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’ve always loved that Austin Powers made Austin and Dr.Evil secret brothers like 13 years before Bond did it for real earnestly in Spectre.
OutOfTheCube is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post: