Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2018, 02:01 PM   #241
Lumby Lager
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
I don't see what's odd about it. With weed being praised as a miracle painkiller/anti-nausea drug, a lot of people are trying it later in life with no prior use. I'm sure some of them are getting way too wrecked and experiencing negative effects.

Just because we've concluded marijuana should be legal doesn't mean we need to pretend it's harmless. It's not.
Absolutely it has the possibility of being harmful as does anything done in excess. When one of the first statements in that article is about not having any proof backing his statement it makes the article ridiculous not odd.
Lumby Lager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 02:13 PM   #242
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumby Lager View Post
Absolutely it has the possibility of being harmful as does anything done in excess. When one of the first statements in that article is about not having any proof backing his statement it makes the article ridiculous not odd.
Statistics on admissions for marijuana effects aren't collected. That doesn't mean the observations of doctors are ridiculous.

The government has said that as part of legalization they're going to put more resources into identifying and treating the negative effects of the drug. So I'd be willing to bet hospitals will be collecting data on admissions for marijuana soon enough.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 02:27 PM   #243
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
Jazz Cabbage.
Quote:
Videogame Romaine
You guys just injured me.
I've spent no fewer than the past 5 mins laughing uncontrollably over these two gems. I'm pretty sure I tore ab muscles.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GoinAllTheWay For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2018, 03:17 PM   #244
Lumby Lager
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Statistics on admissions for marijuana effects aren't collected. That doesn't mean the observations of doctors are ridiculous.

The government has said that as part of legalization they're going to put more resources into identifying and treating the negative effects of the drug. So I'd be willing to bet hospitals will be collecting data on admissions for marijuana soon enough.
As someone that has a specific stance on this I agree 100 percent on a portion of revenue gained from the legalization of cannabis needs to be spent doing RESEARCH into the negative effects it will have on people.

https://www.hindawi.com/journals/crigm/2015/405238

The subject of this study and paper has a history of Major depression, anxiety, substance abuse and asthma. But I am sure smoking a joint or hauling on a bong sent him to the emergency room. When I was in grade 12 I killed a mickey of Bacardi 1886 with a 2 lt bottle of root beer in about an hour and a half, I bet it was the joint I smoked afterwards that was the only reason I got sick.

The doctor comes off as anti cannabis, I was waiting for him to say if you smoke a blunt dude your chance of landing in the emergency room wil quadruple. What is that? 1 in a billion jumping all they way up to 4 or heaven forbid it goes all the way up to 15 in a billion.

As a prominent medical professional in a large city he should back up his claims with Research.
Old 05-31-2018, 09:55 AM   #245
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

https://sencanada.ca/en/content/sen/...p_2018-05-31-e

May 30, 2018—Third reading of Bill C-45, An Act respecting cannabis and to amend the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act, the Criminal Code and other Acts, as amended.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 02:07 PM   #246
fredr123
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
https://sencanada.ca/en/content/sen/...p_2018-05-31-e

May 30, 2018—Third reading of Bill C-45, An Act respecting cannabis and to amend the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act, the Criminal Code and other Acts, as amended.
Debate in the senate on the bill has been going on for quite some time. Much discussion about whether growing plants at home is a good idea. They just announced the vote will take place in 15 minutes at 4:21 pm. I wonder if it was a conscious decision to wait that extra minute...
fredr123 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fredr123 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2018, 08:12 PM   #247
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredr123 View Post
Debate in the senate on the bill has been going on for quite some time. Much discussion about whether growing plants at home is a good idea. They just announced the vote will take place in 15 minutes at 4:21 pm. I wonder if it was a conscious decision to wait that extra minute...
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeejected!

Damn straight, that would have been ridiculous.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/globalne...amendment/amp/
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 03:57 AM   #248
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeejected!

Damn straight, that would have been ridiculous.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/globalne...amendment/amp/
Ridiculous? Really? I'm pro-legalization but I can see legitimate concerns about letting people grow these plants at home.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 07:33 AM   #249
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
Ridiculous? Really? I'm pro-legalization but I can see legitimate concerns about letting people grow these plants at home.
It’s the simplest way to take the money out of this terry guys hands everyone’s worried about. Prices are a touch high... but lots will still pay. Others will be satisfied by growing a couple plants of their own. Everywhere that has legalized it has allowed this, yes I think it would be a mistake not to allow it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2018, 08:47 AM   #250
Lumby Lager
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
I don’t think people in multi unit dwellings should have the right to be able to grow plants, it should be up the the home owners association or strata board to decide this matter. Rentals should be up to the landlords. I see no problems with a home owner being able to grow in detached home scenarios.

What would be your concerns?
The Following User Says Thank You to Lumby Lager For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2018, 10:19 AM   #251
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Guess you have concerns about home brewers as well then
Old 06-03-2018, 10:39 AM   #252
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can we just call it ganja? That has always been my favorite slang term for it.
Old 06-03-2018, 11:12 AM   #253
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumby Lager View Post
As someone that has a specific stance on this I agree 100 percent on a portion of revenue gained from the legalization of cannabis needs to be spent doing RESEARCH into the negative effects it will have on people.

https://www.hindawi.com/journals/crigm/2015/405238

The subject of this study and paper has a history of Major depression, anxiety, substance abuse and asthma. But I am sure smoking a joint or hauling on a bong sent him to the emergency room. When I was in grade 12 I killed a mickey of Bacardi 1886 with a 2 lt bottle of root beer in about an hour and a half, I bet it was the joint I smoked afterwards that was the only reason I got sick.

The doctor comes off as anti cannabis, I was waiting for him to say if you smoke a blunt dude your chance of landing in the emergency room wil quadruple. What is that? 1 in a billion jumping all they way up to 4 or heaven forbid it goes all the way up to 15 in a billion.

As a prominent medical professional in a large city he should back up his claims with Research
If you're going to throw out the 'he should do some research' card, at least give your claim a moment's thought.

One in a billion? That would mean roughly 7 trips to emergency rooms worldwide, each day.

A quick google search tells us that there were over 16 million visits to emergency rooms in Canada in 2012. That's 1 for every 2 people. To put that in daily terms, it's about a 1 in 700 chance that any given person will end up in emergency today (in Canada).

To quadruple that, would mean that, instead of expecting (on average) to go once every 2 years, you would expect to end up there once every 6 months.

I don't know if you are aware of how expensive it is for taxpayers every time someone ends up in emergency, but if we were to quadruple the number of trips for a significant portion of the population, that would probably bankrupt our medical system.

Quadrupling the likelihood of ending up in emergency is in fact pretty significant.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 12:08 PM   #254
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Honest and sincere questions, no hidden agenda:

The subject of marijuana has never bothered me much, as I've, admittedly, never felt any urge to try it even when people around me smoked it. Alcohol, tobacco, music and hormones were enough to make me happy in my younger years. They still do now, if I feel like partying.

I've been monitoring eight Canadian cannabis stocks since January. They're now valued at over $20B. I am pretty sure it's insane and unsustainable; but I've made a lot of money off the market enthusiasm already trading them up and down. I just don't' understand where it's coming from? I've been to Holland in 2007 and, out of curiousity, visited stores selling this stuff - there were no lineups and the sellers did not look like billionaires. In fact, most of the stores looked like dumps.

I'm watching the excitement in this thread and I wonder, what makes you guys SO excited about the upcoming legalization? Again, no judging, honest question.
Old 06-03-2018, 12:11 PM   #255
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Purely accessibility and removing the easiest money maker for the black market.
Old 06-03-2018, 12:34 PM   #256
Zevo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post

The subject of marijuana has never bothered me much, as I've, admittedly, never felt any urge to try it even when people around me smoked it. Alcohol, tobacco, music and hormones were enough to make me happy in my younger years. They still do now, if I feel like partying.

I've been monitoring eight Canadian cannabis stocks since January. They're now valued at over $20B. I am pretty sure it's insane and unsustainable; but I've made a lot of money off the market enthusiasm already trading them up and down. I just don't' understand where it's coming from? I've been to Holland in 2007 and, out of curiousity, visited stores selling this stuff - there were no lineups and the sellers did not look like billionaires. In fact, most of the stores looked like dumps.

I'm watching the excitement in this thread and I wonder, what makes you guys SO excited about the upcoming legalization? Again, no judging, honest question.
Not sure who's SO excited, but as someone who enjoys a toke after work(kinda like how my parents and their gen. enjoyed a stiff drink after work) I like the accessibility, convenience, and the quality that comes with it.

Also it's not always about partying. Actually it's very rarely about partying for a lot of older pot smokers. For me and alot of the people I know it's about relaxing at home and taking the edge off. I can stop at a store on my home or if I'm out running errands and pick some up exactly like you can with alcohol.
Zevo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zevo For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2018, 12:38 PM   #257
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

In the early days of an industry, it's all about potential and optimism. There is no rational justification for these prices. Whenever non-investors are talking about how they are investing in a particular group of stocks, one would be well advised to run like hell. Or at the very least, stand very, very close to the door.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 01:25 PM   #258
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:

It's a giant first step towards the end of the war on drugs. I'd like to see all drugs be, at the very least, decriminalized so we can work towards helping addicts, instead of letting them rot in jail.

I have no interest in partaking recreationally, but I'm curious to try CBD to help relieve anxiety.

I think you're right that the industry is overvalued. The money being put into cultivation and storefronts is crazy. Like most things, it'll come down to a few efficient growers and sellers who will dominate the market.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2018, 05:50 PM   #259
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zevo View Post
Not sure who's SO excited...
Whoever is changing the thread title for the third or fourth time, sure is.

Anyway, thanks for your response. You like the ease of access that would come with legalization. I get it. A friend of mine in Baltimore does exactly what you like to do - smoking a joint every night after dinner, alone. He's been doing it for the past 20 years; seemingly, without any issues or difficulties. What's the problem that's being solved for you guys on July 1? Is it the fact that you'd be paying taxes on it from now on?
Old 06-03-2018, 06:03 PM   #260
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Whoever is changing the thread title for the third or fourth time, sure is.

Anyway, thanks for your response. You like the ease of access that would come with legalization. I get it. A friend of mine in Baltimore does exactly what you like to do - smoking a joint every night after dinner, alone. He's been doing it for the past 20 years; seemingly, without any issues or difficulties. What's the problem that's being solved for you guys on July 1? Is it the fact that you'd be paying taxes on it from now on?
I imagine for pot smokers it would be nice not to be risking fines, criminal records, jail, and the resulting reduced employment opportunities and lowered social status that comes with legal trouble.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote