Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2022, 08:41 AM   #181
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossy22 View Post
My son is in u12 at Norquay. Friday was training GS and Sat, Sun a race at Sunshine. After training all day on Friday, a couple of the boys hit the jumps on the way back to the lodge and one of them crashed. He seemed ok, but when he got to the car he asked his dad, "Was it the race today? How did I do?" He ended spending the night in the hospital for observation. Concussions suck.
Holy flashback to my youth. Exact same situation with race training, my buddy launched a jump and broke his brand new Blizzard skis, landed flat on his back. We ended up calling my mom to take him to the hospital on a piece of plywood in the back of the Buick. Another reason station wagons are awesome...

Last edited by Fuzz; 02-06-2022 at 09:10 AM.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2022, 09:57 AM   #182
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

Thanks for the pure 80’s vibe of this post

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to surferguy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2022, 01:22 PM   #183
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

The wind at Nakiska today ruined what could have been a beautiful spring skiing day. It was nasty up there. On a ride up the Olympic chair it felt like we were going to go 90 degrees where it opens up and crosses the gold chair.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 10:27 AM   #184
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’m well into my 40’s, and fear that age when I’m not jumping off things.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 10:48 AM   #185
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Yeah, I'm a hurting unit tonight. I'm just going to buy a new one. I think I crushed the foam inside it.
Is there a lifetime limit on helmets?

Mine is around 15 years old.

I know hockey helmets have a limit.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 11:27 AM   #186
greyshep
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronDave View Post
From what I've been told it has a lot to do with their lease. The lease is for an "active ski resort" so unless they show they're attempting that it could be taken away. And if that were the case, I'd love to have access up the road to ski tour.

This video was really well done, perhaps a bit of the above propaganda, but still good.

I miss Fortress every year. That place was awesome.

Hoping they actually get it up and running before injuries limit my ability to enjoy it again. lol
greyshep is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to greyshep For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2022, 12:04 PM   #187
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Is there a lifetime limit on helmets?

Mine is around 15 years old.

I know hockey helmets have a limit.
Apparently UV rays can weaken them over time (bike helmets, too)
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 12:32 PM   #188
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I feel like I have read some yes/no on the helmet life span thing.

My thought is given the job this piece of gear is tasked with, it is worth spending $150 every couple of years just to be a little more safe.

It still boggles my mind that there are some people out there that spend $150 on goggles, but feel a toque on their head is good enough
Old 02-07-2022, 02:16 PM   #189
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

What an architectural gem that Fortress lodge is. I hope they can find a way to salvage it if the resort ever comes back.
Table 5 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2022, 12:23 AM   #190
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Anyone else lose their motivation to ski? I’ve been skiing for 30 years and I just can’t find the motivation to go anymore. I haven’t gone once this year and last year I did one warm up day at lake Louise and 2 days of heli skiing. I just can’t get motivated to go unless it’s a weekend trip to fernie/KH/Revy/Big white.

Anyone else like this?
I don’t ski but have lost my ambitions for most of the things I used to like to do. No motivation at all, and it directly correlates to when the pandemic started. It’s like that sucked the desire to do anything out of me. I’m not a huge golfer but I do love it. It’s hard with conflicting work schedules but my buddy and I have been able to coordinate 5-6 rounds per year for the past 15 years or so. This year, zero.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 06:44 AM   #191
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ i can see how you could lose your enthusiasm for skiing as it can be a big day. going to LL means up early and on the road, which usually means organizing the night before. you are gone for the whole day etc. if you go later in teh day, you are parked a long way away, and you won't get many laps in becasue it is busy (assuming you go on a weekend)

i am sort of like this when it comes to mtn biking as i rarely will drive out to bragg creek any more and instead i will just ride around in Fish Creek/Bow Bottom and avoid the 1.5hrs of driving.
Old 02-08-2022, 05:40 PM   #192
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
^ i can see how you could lose your enthusiasm for skiing as it can be a big day. going to LL means up early and on the road, which usually means organizing the night before. you are gone for the whole day etc. if you go later in teh day, you are parked a long way away, and you won't get many laps in becasue it is busy (assuming you go on a weekend)

i am sort of like this when it comes to mtn biking as i rarely will drive out to bragg creek any more and instead i will just ride around in Fish Creek/Bow Bottom and avoid the 1.5hrs of driving.
I've been more into XC skiing for several years now for these reasons. The mountains are still way better, but I can have plenty of fun for an hour or two at a city golf course. Plus it's better fitness and a lot more challenging...hurling down a moderate slope on those twigs is [almost] as thrilling as good steeps/trees.
The Following User Says Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2022, 05:58 PM   #193
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
I've been more into XC skiing for several years now for these reasons. The mountains are still way better, but I can have plenty of fun for an hour or two at a city golf course. Plus it's better fitness and a lot more challenging...hurling down a moderate slope on those twigs is [almost] as thrilling as good steeps/trees.
It can be terrifying! But ya, the quick trips, plus being able to go with my wife, makes it something I've done a lot more. Plus, covid makes downhill skiing sketchy for me.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 10:44 PM   #194
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

Re: motivation to ski, I can see how living in Calgary could be a major impediment to being motivated. I've lived in Kamloops since 2003, and having a resort 45min from my door is easier to manage for sure. Going up for a couple hours is no problem, and even on weekends the crowds are nothing compared to Fernie or any of the Rockies resorts.

It is a lot easier to be motivated under these type of circumstances.
blender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 11:29 PM   #195
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Not even an avid skiier these days, but Fortress was a gooder.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 02:53 PM   #196
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here's another recent thing filmed at Fortress: https://air.tv/?v=koeU8sJER8e7Yp4GGc75zQ
Old 02-09-2022, 07:26 PM   #197
flamesfan1297
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwkayaker View Post
Yep, I know many people who have bought boots so that they always had a good fit and then rent skis.
Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
Yes. Boots are most important by far. Highly recommend somewhere like Lou's, but Ski West/Ski Cellar etc. are fine, too

If you want to save a few bucks, go with used skis...but renting/demoing for a bit is a good way to find out what you like.
Thanks guys! I actually ended up buying a pair of boots the other day! Can't wait too test them out on Friday!

Halloween candy is horrifying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
"Putting nets on puck."

- Ferland 2016
flamesfan1297 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flamesfan1297 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2022, 09:55 PM   #198
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfan1297 View Post
Thanks guys! I actually ended up buying a pair of boots the other day! Can't wait too test them out on Friday!
Where them a bunch before then if you can! Expect a few extra stops during the day - days 1 and 2 in new boots can be rough since cold mountains are different than warm shops (at least if you have funky feet like me)!
The Following User Says Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2022, 11:15 PM   #199
CASe333
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Not even an avid skiier these days, but Fortress was a gooder.
Growing up they usually had the best snow within 2hrs of Calgary. It was always a small Mt compared to Sunshine and Lake Louise but given it was only ~1hr away I don't understand how someone with $$ hasn't brought it back.

My best memory was the kicker just off wall street. You'd have to hike up minimally for a couple minutes from the Canadian chair and was just out of bounds but was always there and amazing.

The only negatives I can remember were the windy days coupled with old rickety chair lifts. Still can't believe it's almost been 20 years since the last time it was open.
CASe333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 12:12 AM   #200
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASe333 View Post
Growing up they usually had the best snow within 2hrs of Calgary. It was always a small Mt compared to Sunshine and Lake Louise but given it was only ~1hr away I don't understand how someone with $$ hasn't brought it back.

My best memory was the kicker just off wall street. You'd have to hike up minimally for a couple minutes from the Canadian chair and was just out of bounds but was always there and amazing.

The only negatives I can remember were the windy days coupled with old rickety chair lifts. Still can't believe it's almost been 20 years since the last time it was open.
I was young when Fortress was open but the wind was definitely something that I remember at that hill. It was fun but the wind made for many miserable days.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote