Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2022, 02:05 PM   #161
Treycal
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Fortress re-opening is a bit like cold fusion. Just around the corner.

Yeah, but THIS time it's different!
Treycal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Treycal For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2022, 04:19 PM   #162
IronDave
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Fortress re-opening is a bit like cold fusion. Just around the corner.
From what I've been told it has a lot to do with their lease. The lease is for an "active ski resort" so unless they show they're attempting that it could be taken away. And if that were the case, I'd love to have access up the road to ski tour.

This video was really well done, perhaps a bit of the above propaganda, but still good.

IronDave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IronDave For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2022, 06:13 AM   #163
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

on a lark last night i bought a new ski jacket - it is two shades of blue. i got it home, and my wife and daughter tell me that it really does not look good with my current ski pants - which are another shade of blue. Now i am trying to decide to wether or not i should listen to them.........
Old 02-03-2022, 06:46 AM   #164
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
on a lark last night i bought a new ski jacket - it is two shades of blue. i got it home, and my wife and daughter tell me that it really does not look good with my current ski pants - which are another shade of blue. Now i am trying to decide to wether or not i should listen to them.........
Of course you should. Go buy yourself some matching pants. It's on them.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2022, 10:49 AM   #165
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm going to be looking deals on new boots at the end of this season. Thoughts on when to start looking? I'm thinking sometime in April would be good to hit Ski West or Ski Cellar?
Old 02-04-2022, 01:41 PM   #166
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

I found an old ski wax iron in my old stuff, it also has some wax…. This stuff is from the mid nineties, the wax should be fine to use… yes/no/maybe?

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 07:51 PM   #167
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferguy View Post
I found an old ski wax iron in my old stuff, it also has some wax…. This stuff is from the mid nineties, the wax should be fine to use… yes/no/maybe?
No worries
blender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 10:41 PM   #168
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferguy View Post
Yeah you're good. Curious though, what kind? OBJ?
Generally, Warmer (reds/oranges) Colours for warmer snow, and Colder colours (blues/purples), for colder.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 10:44 PM   #169
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Of course you should. Go buy yourself some matching pants. It's on them.
Cringiest are those with two different busy patterns of top & bottom outerwear.

cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 11:34 AM   #170
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Three things:

1. Tried the new chair at Louise just for fun. It's neat because they load you before the chair turns 90 degrees to go back up the hill. Like, you load while facing the lift shack. I like weird things like that. All the runs are short and for beginners, but still a great addition to the base chairs.

2. Fell super hard off a run off the summit chair in zero visibility and smashed the back of my helmet insanely hard into super hard snow. Do I need to replace my helmet now?

3. Can't skiers just ditch their poles (aka crutches) and use their legs and core to ski like adults, or do they still really need to flap around trying to poke everyone in the eye wherever they stumble?
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 12:13 PM   #171
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Three things:

1. Tried the new chair at Louise just for fun. It's neat because they load you before the chair turns 90 degrees to go back up the hill. Like, you load while facing the lift shack. I like weird things like that. All the runs are short and for beginners, but still a great addition to the base chairs.

2. Fell super hard off a run off the summit chair in zero visibility and smashed the back of my helmet insanely hard into super hard snow. Do I need to replace my helmet now?

3. Can't skiers just ditch their poles (aka crutches) and use their legs and core to ski like adults, or do they still really need to flap around trying to poke everyone in the eye wherever they stumble?
On point 3 - poles improve balance and enhance rhythm. They tend to be of greater benefit to more experienced skiers than to beginners who don’t know how to use them proficiently.

Lastly, they are great for diverting out of control snowboarders coming your way. :;
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Barnet Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2022, 12:15 PM   #172
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also, for not getting stuck on the flats, and making the rest of your party wait for 5 minutes at the chair while you unbuckle and hop inelegantly to a higher point, hoping to get enough momentum to make it over that next slightly flat bit.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2022, 01:04 PM   #173
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
On point 3 - poles improve balance and enhance rhythm. They tend to be of greater benefit to more experienced skiers than to beginners who don’t know how to use them proficiently.

Lastly, they are great for diverting out of control snowboarders coming your way. :;
The are also very handy for poking the snowboarders that stop right at the lift exit to clip in.

Can you not glide 10-15ft without being clipped in?

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2022, 05:17 PM   #174
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

No poles? What will I point to the heavens when I bust out the Texas Tuck?

Poles with big baskets are also handy in deep snow.

And when you drop a pole, you can use your other pole to reach back up and grab it. How would I do that without poles? You mortals can use this trick to retrieve your skis when you yardsale (I only eject about once a year and usually come to a graceful stop on one foot).
powderjunkie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 09:30 PM   #175
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I had some time this afternoon and went to look at a few more ski jackets. Really loved the Arc’teryx stuff, but wozers it the next level expensive. $900 for a shell and $700 for pants.

I got home and just ordered the matching pants for the jacket I bought.
Old 02-05-2022, 09:33 PM   #176
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Three things:

If you fell that hard I would seriously consider buying a new bucket. To me a helmet is not a place you go cheap.

If you run your hand over the helmet and feel no depressions, changes in shape then maybe it is ok - but once again, I’d be considering a new helmet.
Old 02-05-2022, 09:43 PM   #177
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
If you fell that hard I would seriously consider buying a new bucket. To me a helmet is not a place you go cheap.

If you run your hand over the helmet and feel no depressions, changes in shape then maybe it is ok - but once again, I’d be considering a new helmet.
Yeah, I'm a hurting unit tonight. I'm just going to buy a new one. I think I crushed the foam inside it.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 05:17 AM   #178
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, I'm a hurting unit tonight. I'm just going to buy a new one. I think I crushed the foam inside it.
Wise decision - if in doubt, always take the safe option. Also, it is likely that it will always be on your mind, whether or not you are safely protected.

On another note, while it may not have felt that way at the time, isn’t it great it happened now, in today’s environment? Twenty years ago, people wearing helmets stood out. Today it is those without them that stand out.
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Barnet Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2022, 07:26 AM   #179
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

My son is in u12 at Norquay. Friday was training GS and Sat, Sun a race at Sunshine. After training all day on Friday, a couple of the boys hit the jumps on the way back to the lodge and one of them crashed. He seemed ok, but when he got to the car he asked his dad, "Was it the race today? How did I do?" He ended spending the night in the hospital for observation. Concussions suck.
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 08:39 AM   #180
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Yeah I’m out at Silverstar with the race team and the park is off limits. Last time my kid was around giant booters he jammed himself in the chest with his pole and bent his $200 GS Leki’s.

Kids can’t help themselves when they see jumps.
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote