Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 02-09-2018, 09:47 AM   #7361
YourMother
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

The Zach Smith rumors have to either be a smoke screen or a smaller part of a bigger deal. Perhaps just a limp reason for us to be scouting Ottawa. It doesn't make any sense, while Hoffman/Stone make complete sense.
Old 02-09-2018, 09:49 AM   #7362
FlamesFanTrev
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo45 View Post
I would be comfortable with a Stone for Smith swap just because it moves the money up front and opens a spot on the backend where we have better prospects pushing. Probably helps in signing Fox as well which should be a priority. Makes us grittier which is a plus in our division.

If we are just taking on that money, or giving up a good prospect for Smith, then it is a bad trade just like Lazar was a bad trade.
The Lazar trade was a good gamble that hasn't paid off, and in my opinion, likely won't. Lazar came in to the league with loads of potential, and never lived up to it. It's not an indefensible position to have thought a change of scenery or a new "first chance" with a new head coach might have paid dividends. I remember reading somewhere that <25% of second round picks make the NHL. He might never be top 6, but he has definitely made the NHL. And his age fits with the devloping core, rather then needing a couple years of development while the team is in it's contention window. Hard to say we lost that trade in my opinion. Nothing to write home about either.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FlamesFanTrev For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2018, 09:56 AM   #7363
Duffalufagus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I think Bennett might be moving.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Duffalufagus For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2018, 09:57 AM   #7364
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Man, if the Flames can pry Hartman from Chicago, that'd be very best possible acquisition I could hope for. Love the way he plays. And a true RH/RW too boot.

If the Flames are also looking at 3rd line center options. Either Jankos going back down or they feel Backlund isn't going to sign in their window of acceptable term or dollars. I'm starting to think it'll be Jankowski going back down to marinate a little more . Now that he's had a stretch of games and has a better idea of what an NHL season is like, he can focus on getting ready for full time duty next year. Also with the idea of sending Janko down, it allows the Flames some really good depth heading into the playoff push.

But man, getting Hartman would be a dream. Almost feel like he would be the perfect fit for Janko/Bennett.
Old 02-09-2018, 10:10 AM   #7365
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesFanTrev View Post
Hard to say we lost that trade in my opinion.
I think it's rather easy to say we lost that trade.

We basically got a replacement level NHL player (4th line/13th F). Sure that 2nd round pick might have only have a 25% chance at becoming an NHL'er... but that includes a range of quality that exceeds the quality of Curtis Lazar. Additionally the team also lost the trade value of a 2nd round pick.

People don't need to rush to Trelivings defense. He's just a decent GM, not a great GM... that means he's going to have some transactions that make you go "Woof" along with some that make you go "Weeee"
Old 02-09-2018, 10:32 AM   #7366
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I dunno, making such an obvious gaffe as trading tangible assets for Zack Smith would definitely sour me on Treliving. Right now his balance has been good- yes there are "woofs" but mostly he is successful. Acquiring smith for anything more than dumping ####ing brouwer would definitely shift that in the opposite direction.
Old 02-09-2018, 10:39 AM   #7367
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallex View Post
I think it's rather easy to say we lost that trade.
It would be wildly premature to say that.

Lazar was a long term play. Hasn't looked the part so far but there's still plenty of time he might improve.
The Following User Says Thank You to GoJetsGo For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2018, 10:43 AM   #7368
cross16
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Is anyone other than Friedman linking the Flames to Smith?

Honest question, only because which I do respect Friedman I don't think he has the best Flames sources. Maybe i'm mistaken but I feel like he hasn't really been in tune with the Flames since Treliving was hired. Doesn't hint at moves, suggested strongly there were issues with Treliving last year before the club extended him etc.
Old 02-09-2018, 10:46 AM   #7369
Nelson
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default I think Zack Smith might be a good target in the right circumstances.

I know I am new here, but I would like to defend the Flames' possible pursuit of Zack Smith. I would be happy if they acquired Smith for, say, Michael Stone.

1) First, if the Flames were to trade for Smith, I would want the Flames to send the Senators a similar contract (Stone, Brouwer, Stone etc). I would prefer Stone because of the length of the contract and Rasmus Andersson.

2) If the Flames were to trade Stone (or another similar contract) for Smith, I would be in favor. The reason is that I believe Zack Smith is actually a solid and underrated player.

This is because of the numbers.

In 16-17, Zack Smith was labelled an effective top-six two-way forward by Rob Vollman, who I trust.
Source: https://public.tableau.com/shared/P8...splay_count=no

In 17-18, Zack Smith was labelled a top-six two-way forward by Rob Vollman.
Source: https://public.tableau.com/shared/2P...splay_count=no

3) Now, one issue is the issue of the player worsening as he turns 30 (he is currently 29 and his contract lasts for 3 full seasons after this one). Moreover, from Vollman's charts, it looks like Smith is already getting worse as he was labelled an effective top-six two-way forward in 16-17 and a top-six two-way forward in 17-18. However, I think the labels in 16-17 and 17-18 are actually not evidence of Smith getting worse, but evidence of him playing in a much harder situation in 17-18. Based on Vollman's charts, Smith is playing harder competition and getting fewer OZS% in 17-18. And he is still putting up solid Corsi For Rel% numbers.

To conclude, I would be happy if the Calgary Flames acquired Zack Smith in return for Stone because it would open up a spot for Rasmus Andersson and Smith seems like a very underrated player. Also, I feel that Stone is overrated.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nelson For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2018, 10:57 AM   #7370
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Save that money and at least overspend for a guy like Kane who can play top 6 than overspend on depth again.
Personally, I'd rather overspend on one of the top coaches that may be coming on the market this summer. Quenneville, Trotz, Vigneault. I think we'd get way more bang for buck than any one player apart from a Tavares type.
Old 02-09-2018, 11:03 AM   #7371
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
Personally, I'd rather overspend on one of the top coaches that may be coming on the market this summer. Quenneville, Trotz, Vigneault. I think we'd get way more bang for buck than any one player apart from a Tavares type.
But why would we get rid of GG after he leads us to the finals?
Maybe one of those guys can take over the special teams.
Old 02-09-2018, 11:07 AM   #7372
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cross16 View Post

Honest question, only because which I do respect Friedman I don't think he has the best Flames sources. Maybe i'm mistaken but I feel like he hasn't really been in tune with the Flames since Treliving was hired. Doesn't hint at moves, suggested strongly there were issues with Treliving last year before the club extended him etc.

Friedman never suggested there was issues with Treliving. He reported that Treliving didn’t have a contract in place for the following season and that it was strange to see that in the NHL. All facts.

He didn’t speculate on any issues.
Old 02-09-2018, 11:16 AM   #7373
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

My guess is that if any player is to be traded off the current roster it will be Hathaway. He has probably hit his peak trade value. He has proven that he is a serviceable NHL player who knows his role, and the Flames have RFA control. 9 points in 31 games.

Hathaway + Gillies = Scoring winger?
Old 02-09-2018, 11:26 AM   #7374
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cross16 View Post

TSN posted an article today listing the Flames as a possible landing spot for Smith. Also listed the Wild and Sharks, so we're not the only team interested.

https://www.tsn.ca/tradecentre-match...smith-1.993529
Old 02-09-2018, 11:32 AM   #7375
howard_the_duck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

My thoughts re Smith rumour:

Perhaps Treliving is attaching Smith to Hoffman (or Stone although that's a pipe dream) as a way to drive down the ask, to circumvent the issue that we don't have picks. Attaching Smith does the Sens a favour as it's not a great contract, and maybe Treliving could trade back prospects + expiring contract (Stajan?) so the Sens have some cap flexibility heading into next year.

To me that makes a lot more sense than specifically keying on Smith, as i'd find that hard to believe on its own.
Old 02-09-2018, 11:37 AM   #7376
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard_the_duck View Post
My thoughts re Smith rumour:

Perhaps Treliving is attaching Smith to Hoffman (or Stone although that's a pipe dream) as a way to drive down the ask, to circumvent the issue that we don't have picks. Attaching Smith does the Sens a favour as it's not a great contract, and maybe Treliving could trade back prospects + expiring contract (Stajan?) so the Sens have some cap flexibility heading into next year.

To me that makes a lot more sense than specifically keying on Smith, as i'd find that hard to believe on its own.
That's a lot of money to take on though. Flames would have to at least send one of and maybe both Brouwer and Stajan to make it work under the cap and I don't see that happening (Brouwer wouldn't go and trading Stajan might disrupt the chemistry in the room too much).

Honestly, at that contract, the only thing that makes sense for me, is Zack Smith for a Emile Poirier type prospect and maybe you get the Senators to eat some of the cap hit. I think the Sens should take that a run. Melnyk would be happy to not have to pay Smith's salary.

Trading John Gillies for Zach SMith is overpayment in my mind and better not be what the Flames are thinking.
Old 02-09-2018, 11:43 AM   #7377
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

Treliving has come out saying this morning they are hoping to land a scoring winger "not necessarily to replace Ferland" on the top line.

I do not see Zach Smith as the answer to the need of a top 6 winger.. so I'm hoping there's more to it like others have suggested, but with Brouwer out until the trade deadline we just lost our biggest piece
Old 02-09-2018, 11:44 AM   #7378
howard_the_duck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Similar cap hit to Stajan. If they feel he's an upgrade anyway (he is) and projects to be a contributor for the next few years, you could make that work.

With the way Bennett is playing it's not like he's due for a massive raise anyway, so from a contract standpoint it doesn't limit their flexibility too much, actually.
Old 02-09-2018, 11:45 AM   #7379
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think we are going to see a shocking move by the Flames. something none of us expected.
Old 02-09-2018, 11:46 AM   #7380
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
I think we are going to see a shocking move by the Flames. something none of us expected.
They trade for Lebron
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread