Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 08-25-2018, 05:19 AM   #2541
Wolfman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love View Post
I'd much rather have Draisaitl at 8 than Monahan at 6.35 ngl
Old 08-25-2018, 05:31 AM   #2542
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'd much rather have Draisaitl at 8 than Monahan at 6.35 ngl
This is why no one takes your opinions seriously
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2018, 05:36 AM   #2543
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
This is why no one takes your opinions seriously
I'm shaking
Old 08-25-2018, 05:39 AM   #2544
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
This is unbelievably absurd.

6 more points* is worth over $2mil/year extra to you...? Because I think their defensive game is relatively similar, in that they're both good but not outstanding.

Again, absurd.

*Monahan likely would have outscored him had he not been broken for 20 games.
Monahan is an elite shooter who's unspectacular at everything else, while Draisaitl is more physical, a better skater, a way better passer, is better along the boards and is still a valid goal scorer. You have to pay for elite talent which Draisaitl is and Monahan isn't.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Love For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2018, 05:54 AM   #2545
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Boring Sean Monahan. Quietly doing everything right. Watch what that line will do now with Neal on it. The smarts and poise on him, I think he’ll break out and dominate here soon. So clutch. I think he has more to prove. We’re lucky to have him as a center. One of the most under rated players in the league. So smart.
The Following User Says Thank You to MrMike For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2018, 05:55 AM   #2546
Darth Tkachuk
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Monahan is an elite shooter who's unspectacular at everything else, while Draisaitl is more physical, a better skater, a way better passer, is better along the boards and is still a valid goal scorer. You have to pay for elite talent which Draisaitl is and Monahan isn't.
Dude, lay off the drugs!
Old 08-25-2018, 05:56 AM   #2547
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
This sounds like Oiler fan in disguise logic.
Old 08-25-2018, 08:12 AM   #2548
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomeFoam View Post
Draisaitl may have apparently set the rate for comparable players at the time, but his closest comparable right now, Jack Eichel, manages to make a full $1.5M more than him at $10M, signing his contract with Buffalo within two months of Draisaitl's extension with the Oilers so really Buffalo took the 'going rate' and said hold my beer.

The 2016/17 season reflecting Draisaitl and Eichels perceived worth for their new contracts saw them produce at a .94 and .93 PPG clip, respectively, so really Eichel's $10M is now the standard for that calibre of player.

Chia didn't overpay, 78 points is an incredible feat no matter what. The fact that it wasn't an anomaly the following season just confirms his ability as a player.
Eichel is a year younger.

In their 19 year old seasons, Eichel had 56 pys in 81 games (.69 PPG) while Draisaitl had 9 pts in 37 games (.24 PPG) and was sent back to junior.

In their 20 year old seasons, Eichel had 57 pts in 61 games (.93 PPG) and Draisaitl had 51 pts in 72 games (.71 PPG) and was being compared to Eichel by absolutely no one.

It was only in his 3rd year, playing largely with McDavid, that Draisaitl put up big points, and his contract, after that season, was well above those of his peers.

Having to try and compare Eichel to him in order to show that Chia didn't overpay, illustrates in itself how much Chia overpaid.
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2018, 08:26 AM   #2549
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Draisaitl came into the league with a 30 year olds body.

Eichel/Monahan/Gaudreau lit the league up looking like children. The ceiling is much higher for them than Draisaitl.
Old 08-25-2018, 08:46 AM   #2550
haiku
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
all that; four more points
passing to mcdavid helps
oil fan in disguise
Old 08-25-2018, 09:14 AM   #2551
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Dollar for dollar, I don't think taking Draisaitl over Monahan is that outlandish. Posters here continually point to the fact Draisaitl's numbers are inflated by playing with McDavid, which is true. But wouldn't the same logic apply to Monahan playing with Gaudreau? What would Draisaitl look like playing with Gaudreau and visa versa? Draisaitl might not have the level of finishing Monahan has, but seems to do pretty much everything else better.

Regardless, Monahan at his contract is more attractive than Draisaitl at 8.5. I have a hard time accepting the argument Draisaitl is worth 2+ million more/season than Monahan.

Edit: I am interested in seeing how a fixed wrist will affect Monahan on the dot. He has shown glimpses of being a strong faceoff man.

Last edited by TOfan; 08-25-2018 at 09:21 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to TOfan For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2018, 09:18 AM   #2552
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Meh, Monahans numbers are much more symbiotic with Gaudreau than McJesus and Dr.Drai
Old 08-25-2018, 09:19 AM   #2553
really?
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
While I'm not sure Draisaitl qualifies as elite, he is a better skater and possessor than Monahan, and those attributes matter as game velocity has increased significantly over the past decade.

What Monahan brings is star leve spatial awareness and a rocket of a shot. Those things are important, but for him to go a step further he needs to work on speed and possession, or display an Oshie like grit.

One of the big knocks on Draisatl as he entered the league was skating and foot speed. That isn't questioned any more. He obviously worked to improve a weakness.

Sean Monahan is a very good player, suggesting otherwise would be absurd, but there is a difference between good and great, being a cog, or the cog. I think there's more to his game if he truly wants it, but maybe he is comtent with who he is. I personally believe he is a competitor, who will not accept just being, "good," but only time will tell.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to really? For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2018, 09:19 AM   #2554
spuzzum
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Draisaitl is German. They sucked balls at the World Cup. Enough said.
Old 08-25-2018, 09:41 AM   #2555
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm shaking

Why are you shaking?
Old 08-25-2018, 09:45 AM   #2556
Redrum
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the2bears View Post
Why are you shaking?

Maybe drank too much, which might explain the posts.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Redrum For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2018, 12:39 PM   #2557
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOfan View Post
Dollar for dollar, I don't think taking Draisaitl over Monahan is that outlandish. Posters here continually point to the fact Draisaitl's numbers are inflated by playing with McDavid, which is true. But wouldn't the same logic apply to Monahan playing with Gaudreau? What would Draisaitl look like playing with Gaudreau and visa versa? Draisaitl might not have the level of finishing Monahan has, but seems to do pretty much everything else better.

Regardless, Monahan at his contract is more attractive than Draisaitl at 8.5. I have a hard time accepting the argument Draisaitl is worth 2+ million more/season than Monahan.

Edit: I am interested in seeing how a fixed wrist will affect Monahan on the dot. He has shown glimpses of being a strong faceoff man.
That's a pretty big leap.

One guy is a center who tends to play 45% of his time on the wing (out of position) with a generational center

One guy is his team's best center playing with his team's best winger.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2018, 12:50 PM   #2558
sempuki
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Ah, the old "hockey is a game played on paper" argument. That's oilers logic.
Old 08-25-2018, 12:56 PM   #2559
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't think Draisaitl is a better skater than Mony, but I do think he's probably a better player. Not 2 million/year better though.
Monahan is definitely the better value, and I wouldn't rather have Draisaitl because of the flexibility Monahan's contact gives us.
Old 08-25-2018, 01:02 PM   #2560
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like Draisaitl a lot. Like a fan of his even though he is a stinking Oiler. But he has a long way to go before being called better than Monahan. A freaking puppy with a really cute knit hokcey jersey could put up career numbers beside McDavid.

Gaudreaus Success is as equally tied to Monahan as Monahans is to Gaudreau.
Closed Thread