Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2022, 02:40 PM   #1701
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

So, sounds like I should downgrade my gear grinder to being mildly annoyed while understanding that I am making the world a (slightly) better place?

I did consider contacting ATCO for leaving the truck out on street cleaning day, but was hopeful ATCO got the ticket directly.

EDIT: I will say that it does annoy me (again) that situations like this are basically zero sum. I have to basically just live with it to make someone else's life better. It's not really that big of a deal I suppose, but it wouldn't be a problem at all if he just parked at his house.
Old 08-18-2022, 03:06 PM   #1702
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

OMFG, we were just talking about this somewhere on here a couple weeks ago, but sure as #### I was driving home from Invermere yesterday and some dope of the highest order was doing, like, 89 km/h. To let people pass, this fataing idiot drove in the shoulder and expected people to pass him even though the yellow line was solid. Like, stay in your GD lane you fataing r-tard. And of course he shot a rock at my windshield (just shy of $1k to replace it in my car, or so I've been quoted). I wanted to kill this fataing moron. Kept my cool of course because I'm not a psycho and my son was with me so had to do the 'ole, these things happen and there's no point in getting upset but I couldn't shake my murderous rage the rest of the drive home and I still think this POS needs to be left to rot in a North Korean prison camp.

How can people be so brainless?
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 03:09 PM   #1703
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkajz44 View Post
So, sounds like I should downgrade my gear grinder to being mildly annoyed while understanding that I am making the world a (slightly) better place?

I did consider contacting ATCO for leaving the truck out on street cleaning day, but was hopeful ATCO got the ticket directly.

EDIT: I will say that it does annoy me (again) that situations like this are basically zero sum. I have to basically just live with it to make someone else's life better. It's not really that big of a deal I suppose, but it wouldn't be a problem at all if he just parked at his house.
Other than leaving it parked during street cleaning, which is dickish and rightfully should have gotten him a ticket: is it really a 'problem'?

It's a truck, legally parked alongside a curb. Is it abandoned? No. Were you otherwise using that curb space for parking your own vehicles? No. (and even if you were you're no more entitled to its use anyway) It begs the question why do you even care? The crux of your complaint seems to be, quite simply, that you think it's ugly and you don't want to have to look at it out your front window.

Last edited by timun; 08-18-2022 at 03:23 PM.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 03:10 PM   #1704
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

People think they are being "nice" by being idiots on the road. My old man slows all the way down when merging because he wants to do the nice thing and not budge anyone. I'll just merge at 70km/h.

Your idiot thought he was being "nice" letting people pass.

Drives me crazy.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 03:11 PM   #1705
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

I would care. I think it's really rude of the Atco guy to leave his truck in a residential street like that. Businesses shouldn't be allowed to park commercial vehicles in residential areas. I believe it would be completely reasonable of you to call Atco and complain. It makes them look like ####, TBH, to have their guys trashily leaving their vehicles scattered around neighbourhoods.
Old 08-18-2022, 03:13 PM   #1706
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Why should you be the one living with it to make his life better? He's demonstrated a willingness to make yours worse by parking this way and making it your (minor) problem. This would annoy the hell out of me and I'd definitely try to figure out a way to get it the heck out of there.

... Getting him fired seems like a bit of a drastic step though.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 03:13 PM   #1707
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
People think they are being "nice" by being idiots on the road. My old man slows all the way down when merging because he wants to do the nice thing and not budge anyone. I'll just merge at 70km/h.

Drives me crazy.
Yeah I know. That's the worst part. "Nice people" on the road are dopes 11 times out of 10. Just follow the rules. It's like idiots who stop their car to let you j-walk. Or people in a zipper merge who will let six cars in instead of one and then scooching up so the next guy can get in behind.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2022, 03:20 PM   #1708
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post

Drives me crazy.
As a 64 year old i'm quite the opposite. If you want to hit me that's fine by me but i'm merging and you need to make room for me.
Old 08-18-2022, 03:21 PM   #1709
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Why should you be the one living with it to make his life better? He's demonstrated a willingness to make yours worse by parking this way and making it your (minor) problem. This would annoy the hell out of me and I'd definitely try to figure out a way to get it the heck out of there.

... Getting him fired seems like a bit of a drastic step though.
The fired part is just a side effect of the real goal, which is getting the truck gone. Surely the ends justify the means? We live in a society, don't we?
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 03:23 PM   #1710
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Couldn’t you just park in that spot so at least it’s your own, presumably nice (I’m guessing BMW) car in that spot?

Seems like the easiest way to stop the ATCO guy from parking there is to park there yourself.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2022, 03:26 PM   #1711
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
OMFG, we were just talking about this somewhere on here a couple weeks ago, but sure as #### I was driving home from Invermere yesterday and some dope of the highest order was doing, like, 89 km/h. To let people pass, this fataing idiot drove in the shoulder and expected people to pass him even though the yellow line was solid. Like, stay in your GD lane you fataing r-tard. And of course he shot a rock at my windshield (just shy of $1k to replace it in my car, or so I've been quoted). I wanted to kill this fataing moron. Kept my cool of course because I'm not a psycho and my son was with me so had to do the 'ole, these things happen and there's no point in getting upset but I couldn't shake my murderous rage the rest of the drive home and I still think this POS needs to be left to rot in a North Korean prison camp.

How can people be so brainless?
Frankly the aggressive tailgaiting by Calgarians coming back from Invermere through the national parks is egregious. Someone going 1 km/h under the speed limit is not the problem, the problem lies with the nuts who want to go a buck-twenty.

Were you tailgaiting, Sliver...?
Old 08-18-2022, 03:29 PM   #1712
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Okay CP, I have something that grinds my gears but I need to know if it's legit.

The other side of our street in front of our house is someone else's sideyard (they are the first house in a cul-de-sac). As such, there is a long curb area on that side of the street that is essentially unclaimed area. Cars often park there from time to time, mostly visitors to homes along the street. We have a large window at the front of the house looking out to this area.

Now, in the past month or so someone with an ATCO truck has started using that as their permanent parking spot. It's one of those pick-up trucks that don't have the bed in the back, rather it's stacked full of compartments so it's extremely big and ugly (it beeps when it backs up to give a feel for the size). We noticed the guy park it there one day and walk away down the street and around the corner and just recently saw him in his yard that is one street over. So this guy parks on the his big ugly truck on our street, not very close to his home, so he can have a nice open driveway and front yard.

Am I right to be annoyed by this? I understand I don't own any parking in front or around my house and we use our garage so it's not even an issue of taking up space for us. He never parks there longer than 72 hours, so it's not a by-law issue, though he did leave it on the street during street cleaning (it's not like the area in front of his house didn't get clean!)

Please evaluate how much I should continue grinding my gears over this.
If it bugs you that much start parking a vehicle there when he leaves. If the spot is always taken he'll figure it out.
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 03:31 PM   #1713
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post
Frankly the aggressive tailgaiting by Calgarians coming back from Invermere through the national parks is egregious. Someone going 1 km/h under the speed limit is not the problem, the problem lies with the nuts who want to go a buck-twenty.

Were you tailgaiting, Sliver...?
I wouldn't call it tailgating, but of course you have to get a little closer in anticipation of a pass than you would be if you were going the same speed. Like, that's how it's done.

And I don't have a problem with somebody going 1km/h under the speed limit if they want. I mean, it's lame, but it doesn't bother me. It's driving in the shoulder at 89 shooting rocks and encouraging people to pass unsafely that is the problem.

What is wrong with the circuitry in your brain that you think I've transgressed in any way in this scenario? I'm the one that didn't pass illegally in spite of this dip ####'s best efforts to prod me to do so.
Old 08-18-2022, 03:32 PM   #1714
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Also love that you think 120 is unsafe. FWIW, I think 110 is a reasonable speed between Invermere and Highway 1, but in no way is 120 unsafe. The speed limit has been 90 there since we all drove Chevettes and Cordobas. Pretty sure my modern car can handle a little faster lol.

120 is too fast. JFC
Old 08-18-2022, 03:41 PM   #1715
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah I know. That's the worst part. "Nice people" on the road are dopes 11 times out of 10. Just follow the rules. It's like idiots who stop their car to let you j-walk. Or people in a zipper merge who will let six cars in instead of one and then scooching up so the next guy can get in behind.
The limit on 93 is 90/hr. So at least he was following the rules by doing 89 the whole way
CliffFletcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 03:42 PM   #1716
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I would care. I think it's really rude of the Atco guy to leave his truck in a residential street like that. Businesses shouldn't be allowed to park commercial vehicles in residential areas. I believe it would be completely reasonable of you to call Atco and complain. It makes them look like ####, TBH, to have their guys trashily leaving their vehicles scattered around neighbourhoods.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Are you guys for real? How does this "annoy" you? How is parking legally parking a truck "trashy"? One of his neighbours works for ATCO and drives a fleet truck; I'm picturing something like this:

From mrkajz44's description it's not in the way, it's not parked illegally; again, the crux of the issue seems to be a subjective judgement that "it's big and ugly and I don't want to look at it".

What's the male equivalent of a 'Karen'?
Old 08-18-2022, 03:45 PM   #1717
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

My biggest peeve driving that road is not people driving faster or slower than the speed limit...it's the guys who drive up fast behind you, but then tailgate you forever because they don't have the confidence/ability to pass you unless there's like 5km of clear straight road up ahead. We can all mash a pedal, guy.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 03:54 PM   #1718
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Also love that you think 120 is unsafe. FWIW, I think 110 is a reasonable speed between Invermere and Highway 1, but in no way is 120 unsafe. The speed limit has been 90 there since we all drove Chevettes and Cordobas. Pretty sure my modern car can handle a little faster lol.

120 is too fast. JFC
Rightly or wrongly the speed limits in the National Parks is probably there for protection of wildlife, not design speeds of vehicles. Same reason it's 90 on the #1 where it is 4 lane divided. Sucks if you are a human, better for the animals.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2022, 03:56 PM   #1719
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Rightly or wrongly the speed limits in the National Parks is probably there for protection of wildlife, not design speeds of vehicles. Same reason it's 90 on the #1 where it is 4 lane divided. Sucks if you are a human, better for the animals.
Sure, fine, but don't drive in the shoulder like some fool is all.
Old 08-18-2022, 03:56 PM   #1720
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I wouldn't call it tailgating, but of course you have to get a little closer in anticipation of a pass than you would be if you were going the same speed. Like, that's how it's done.

And I don't have a problem with somebody going 1km/h under the speed limit if they want. I mean, it's lame, but it doesn't bother me. It's driving in the shoulder at 89 shooting rocks and encouraging people to pass unsafely that is the problem.

What is wrong with the circuitry in your brain that you think I've transgressed in any way in this scenario? I'm the one that didn't pass illegally in spite of this dip ####'s best efforts to prod me to do so.
The fact that this is your response:

Quote:

120 is too fast. JFC
... leads me to believe you're one of those tailgating ###holes. It's pretty much the only reason anyone ever pulls onto the shoulder: they're trying to tell you, "Alright ###hole if you want to pass me pass me, but otherwise I'm not going to watch your grille in my rear-view mirror for the next ___ kilometres. Pass me or back off."