Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 12-17-2020, 08:32 PM   #4801
SnipeShow
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chedder View Post
Bennett was 12 points in 52 games last year. Mange was 32 points in 68 games which is double the ppg.
Sorry that's what I was referring to as this year and last year as 18-19

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk
Old 12-17-2020, 08:36 PM   #4802
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnipeShow View Post
Sorry that's what I was referring to as this year and last year as 18-19

Ah. On that note, I'd say Mangiapane has shown better improvement. Though I agree Bennett brings intangibles and playoff beast mode. If it were up to me I'd expose Backlund only because of his age and contract. And agree it would be great if both Mange and Bennett (especially Bennett) improve enough to make us not miss Backlund.
The Following User Says Thank You to chedder For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2020, 08:44 PM   #4803
SnipeShow
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I think under ideal conditions it ends up being Backlund who is exposed, and not because he is currently the most expendable player of tbe three. Rather, because we should all hope he is the most expendable player of the three by next summer. If either Bennett or Mangiapane is exposed, it be because he has had a disappointing season. That would be far from ideal. Whereas, if Backlund is exposed it will be because a younger, cheaper player has made him expendable, which would also likely mean that the Flames and their young players have come through a spectacular season.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
This is something I could live with. If both of them develop to the point that makes Backlund that expendable it would be hard to be upset despite the loss to Seattle. I guess I'm thinking in a way that doesn't put much expectation in them all breaking out. If either of them stays on par with previous results it doesn't make much of a case for them to supplant Backs. But if those 2 and Dube could all just go ahead and have some breakout seasons I would greatly appreciate it.

Old 12-17-2020, 09:15 PM   #4804
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:
icon57 Flames Expansion Draft List:

I highly doubt Calgary would expose the Captain or the guy who would be Captain if Giordano wasn't already here. (Flames are seeking more leadership not less)

Can anyone really see Brad Treliving holding a press conference justifying the exposing of Mark Giordano?

Mikael Backlund was the Captain of Sweden's World Chamionship Team for a reason, it's no coincidence Calgary has become an attractive location for the Swedes. Backlund is highly respected among his peers from his home country.

Backlund
Lindholm
Monahan
Tkachuk
Gaudreau
Mangiapane
Dubé

Giordano
Andersson
Tanev

Markström

Seattle Kraken select: Rittich

Bennett, Hanifin and Kylington are likely still trade bait, hopefully in a hockey deal for some character and leadership or for assets that won't need protection in the Expansion Draft.

Rumor: Calgary Flames Reject Latest Trade Offer from Boston Bruins
Quote:
According to multiple reports over the past few months, the Boston Bruins have been heavily interested in Calgary Flames defenseman, Noah Hanifin.
The offer apparently included Kase, defenseman Jeremy Lauzon and multiple draft picks.
https://www.nhltraderumors.me/2020/1...ct-latest.html

Last edited by David Struch; 12-17-2020 at 09:24 PM.
Old 12-17-2020, 09:52 PM   #4805
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lauzon is the Bruins third best defensive prospect (after Ahcan and Vaakaleinen IMO), and Kase became redundant when the Flames signed Leivo. That is a horrible offer.

Brandon Carlo, or Jason Studnicka plus a first. The cupboards are pretty dry in Boston.
Old 12-17-2020, 09:55 PM   #4806
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Struch View Post
I highly doubt Calgary would expose the Captain or the guy who would be Captain if Giordano wasn't already here. (Flames are seeking more leadership not less)

Can anyone really see Brad Treliving holding a press conference justifying the exposing of Mark Giordano?

Mikael Backlund was the Captain of Sweden's World Chamionship Team for a reason, it's no coincidence Calgary has become an attractive location for the Swedes. Backlund is highly respected among his peers from his home country.

Backlund
Lindholm
Monahan
Tkachuk
Gaudreau
Mangiapane
Dubé

Giordano
Andersson
Tanev

Markström

Bennett, Hanifin and Kylington are likely still trade bait, hopefully in a hockey deal for some character and leadership or for assets that won't need protection in the Expansion Draft.

Protecting 39 year old gio over hanifin is idiotic. If Brad is too panzy to explain why then he shouldn't be a gm. I doubt that is the case.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2020, 10:01 PM   #4807
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
Protecting 39 year old gio over hanifin is idiotic. If Brad is too panzy to explain why then he shouldn't be a gm. I doubt that is the case.
I said no such thing.
Old 12-17-2020, 10:26 PM   #4808
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Struch View Post

Backlund
Lindholm
Monahan
Tkachuk
Gaudreau
Mangiapane
Dubé

Giordano
Andersson
Tanev

Markström

So much that doesn’t add up here.

Seattle takes Hanifin in this scenario without a doubt.

Tanev protected over him?

I would be friggen livid.
Old 12-17-2020, 10:49 PM   #4809
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCharles View Post
So much that doesn’t add up here.

Seattle takes Hanifin in this scenario without a doubt.

Tanev protected over him?

I would be friggen livid.
What you aren’t taking a free agent goalie instead?? Crazy talk.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MrMike For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2020, 11:18 PM   #4810
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tanev won't be protected...his contract was basically constructed so he qualifies to be made available
Old 12-18-2020, 02:22 AM   #4811
SnipeShow
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I think people are misinterpreting what he stated. I believe he is implying shipping Hanifin and Bennet out by trade and therefore not included in his protection list.

Can't say they would take Rittich, they could just try and sign him come free agency. If he didn't want to be there he could walk anyway even after being picked up off us.

Old 12-18-2020, 05:54 AM   #4812
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think under ideal conditions it ends up being Backlund who is exposed, and not because he is currently the most expendable player of the three. Rather, because we should all hope he is the most expendable player of the three by next summer. If either Bennett or Mangiapane is exposed, it be because he has had a disappointing season. That would be far from ideal. Whereas, if Backlund is exposed it will be because a younger, cheaper player has made him expendable, which would also likely mean that the Flames and their young players have come through a spectacular season.

If Bennett has a season like his last three, you expose him over Backlund. But is Bennett playing like Bennett really ‘disappointing’ at this point? Is there any reason beyond wishful thinking to assume he’ll dramatically improve his play or consistency in his sixth season in the NHL?
Old 12-18-2020, 06:10 AM   #4813
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

That Boston deal rumoured is horrible. To make matters worse on that deal , the flames would probably sign Hamonic back after shipping out Hanifin.
Old 12-18-2020, 06:18 AM   #4814
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

What kind of a season are people expecting from Sam Bennett in order for the flames to expose Backlund? 40 points? 50? What are the chances of that happening? Even if he hits career highs with a 40 point season, I bet that would come against competition no where near the quality Backlund faces and has faced for the better part of his career.

Bennett would have to put together a pretty resounding case for his protection over any Backlund, Mangiapane, or Dube at this point. I would bet replacing a third line winger/potential center will be an easier task than a 2C, regardless of age.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TOfan For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2020, 06:31 AM   #4815
Nelson
First Line Centre

Exp:

Hanifin <—> Kase, Lauzon and picks is very, very bad.

The Bruins don’t have a very good system. I think Studnicka is basically their only good prospect. Corey Pronman says Jeremy Lauzon has NHL potential. That’s his way of saying he could possibly make the NHL, maybe/maybe not.

Kase is often injured. He scores at good rates, but he has never managed more than 38 points because he’s not available.

Even if those picks are 1st rounders, which I very much doubt, they’d be late, so the Flames would basically be getting a bunch of significantly less valuable pieces for Hanifin.
Old 12-18-2020, 08:15 AM   #4816
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOfan View Post
...Bennett would have to put together a pretty resounding case for his protection over any Backlund, Mangiapane, or Dube at this point. I would bet replacing a third line winger/potential center will be an easier task than a 2C, regardless of age.
I certainly do not expect it to happen. I was merely pointing out what needs to take place in order to justify leaving Backlund unprotected. A bunch of young players will need to have an amazing season, which in itself would be fantastic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2020, 09:40 AM   #4817
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I certainly do not expect it to happen. I was merely pointing out what needs to take place in order to justify leaving Backlund unprotected. A bunch of young players will need to have an amazing season, which in itself would be fantastic.

Conversely, if they don't all take leaps and bounds, but Backlund shows signs of decline, it might become an option anyway.
Old 12-18-2020, 01:05 PM   #4818
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
What kind of a season are people expecting from Sam Bennett in order for the flames to expose Backlund? 40 points? 50? What are the chances of that happening? Even if he hits career highs with a 40 point season, I bet that would come against competition no where near the quality Backlund faces and has faced for the better part of his career.

Bennett would have to put together a pretty resounding case for his protection over any Backlund, Mangiapane, or Dube at this point. I would bet replacing a third line winger/potential center will be an easier task than a 2C, regardless of age.
A season where you see Bennett play a game that is somewhat similar to the playoff version. Confident, relentless, mean.

Backlund takes a step back, Bennett takes a step forward and looking at a guy who will be 25 vs a guy who will be turning 33 during the season after expansion.

I think Bennett needs a significant step forward and Backlund needs to take a bit of a step back in order to have Bennett get the protection slot. Cap flexibility could play into things a little bit
Old 12-18-2020, 02:50 PM   #4819
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Age and salary.

Bennett does not need to put up 40 or 50 points to replace Backlund on the protected list, he just needs to show that he is progressing into becoming the player he showed in the playoffs.

If he reverts to the same regular season Bennett that we have seen for the last couple years, then... easy decision.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2020, 09:12 AM   #4820
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

yes, good points both Enoch and Vinny.

I love playoff Bennett, don't have much hope for regular season Bennett. As the old saying goes; fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. In this case it's fool me three or four times now.

clinging to the hope that Bennett can carry his playoff performance into the regular season even 50% of the time is not the way the Flames should be making player personnel decisions. It's boarder line delusional. I don't think Bennett can consistently play that way during the regular season and he doesn't seem to be effective otherwise. The game is called too tightly and it would be too much physically and mentally, I think, for any player to run around like he does in the playoffs. Ferland couldn't sustain it.

Even if the Flames were to get to the conference finals, it would not be surprising in the least for Bennett's effectiveness to drop off, or see him missing games due to injury. Further, his career would likely be cut short if playoff SB was regular season SB. it's not a durable way of playing the game. It may very well turn out that a 34-35 year old Backlund is still better than 26-27 year old SB. I don't see a significant drop off for Backlund. Contrary to popular belief, not every player falls off a cliff after 30.

Seems like Zary is, hopefully, the heir apparent to Backlund's tough mins 2C role. might as well keep the vet to mentor the kid in a year to two.
The Following User Says Thank You to TOfan For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread