Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-28-2018, 11:30 AM   #1141
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
My position is that those principles alone have generally not been enough for social movements to affect meaningful change.
So you don't think Canada has made meaningful change on issue of race, gender, and sexual orientation in the last 100 years? Or you think those changes came about in spite of the Western liberal values of free speech and the rule of law, not because of them?
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 01:20 PM   #1142
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
So you don't think Canada has made meaningful change on issue of race, gender, and sexual orientation in the last 100 years? Or you think those changes came about in spite of the Western liberal values of free speech and the rule of law, not because of them?
Cliff, I don't think your intentions are necessarily bad, but I have no interest in debating you if you're going to mischaracterize my position or put words in my mouth.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 12:24 PM   #1143
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

When the Weinstein story first broke, Uma Thurman said that she was too angry to talk about it, but when she was ready, we'd hear what she had to say.

She has broken her silence in an interview with the New York Times: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/03/o...-is-angry.html

Quote:
“Pulp Fiction” made Weinstein rich and respected, and Thurman says he introduced her to President Barack Obama at a fund-raiser as the reason he had his house.

“The complicated feeling I have about Harvey is how bad I feel about all the women that were attacked after I was,” she told me one recent night, looking anguished in her elegant apartment in River House on Manhattan’s East Side, as she vaped tobacco, sipped white wine and fed empty pizza boxes into the fireplace.

“I am one of the reasons that a young girl would walk into his room alone, the way I did. Quentin used Harvey as the executive producer of ‘Kill Bill,’ a movie that symbolizes female empowerment. And all these lambs walked into slaughter because they were convinced nobody rises to such a position who would do something illegal to you, but they do.”

Thurman stresses that Creative Artists Agency, her former agency, was connected to Weinstein’s predatory behavior. It has since issued a public apology. “I stand as both a person who was subjected to it and a person who was then also part of the cloud cover, so that’s a super weird split to have,” she says.
Old 02-03-2018, 01:15 PM   #1144
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
When the Weinstein story first broke, Uma Thurman said that she was too angry to talk about it, but when she was ready, we'd hear what she had to say.

She has broken her silence in an interview with the New York Times: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/03/o...-is-angry.html

And all these lambs walked into slaughter because they were convinced nobody rises to such a position who would do something illegal to you, but they do.
Really? Do people really think that? That the highest of the high are all pure of intention and noble of deed and would never do illegal things? I've long thought that most of the elite are all hiding secrets and figuring that if they get caught they can just buy their way out.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
V
Old 02-03-2018, 02:27 PM   #1145
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post

The story about how Tarantino almost killed her on the set of Kill Bill 2, by putting her behind the wheel of a car that was obviously unsafe, is insane.

The way she describes it, Tarantino wanted to torture her for her hatred of Weinstein.

Quote:
As she sits by the fire on a second night when we talk until 3 a.m., tears begin to fall down her cheeks. She brushes them away.

“When they turned on me after the accident,” she says, “I went from being a creative contributor and performer to being like a broken tool.”

Thurman says that in “Kill Bill,” Tarantino had done the honors with some of the sadistic flourishes himself, spitting in her face in the scene where Michael Madsen is seen on screen doing it and choking her with a chain in the scene where a teenager named Gogo is on screen doing it.

“Harvey assaulted me but that didn’t kill me,” she says. “What really got me about the crash was that it was a cheap shot. I had been through so many rings of fire by that point. I had really always felt a connection to the greater good in my work with Quentin and most of what I allowed to happen to me and what I participated in was kind of like a horrible mud wrestle with a very angry brother. But at least I had some say, you know?” She says she didn’t feel disempowered by any of it. Until the crash.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 02-03-2018 at 10:24 PM.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 03:18 PM   #1146
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

I love Tarantino as a filmmaker but I have always had serious doubts about him as a human being.
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 12:47 AM   #1147
snootchiebootchies
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Tarantino defends himself in this interview:

Quentin Tarantino Explains Everything: Uma Thurman, The ‘Kill Bill’ Crash & Harvey Weinstein

Also, looks like Uma Thurman has forgiven Tarantino based on her Instagram message earlier today:

Quote:
i post this clip to memorialize it’s full exposure in the nyt by Maureen Dowd.
the circumstances of this event were negligent to the point of criminality.
i do not believe though with malicious intent.
Quentin Tarantino, was deeply regretful and remains remorseful about this sorry event, and gave me the footage years later so i could expose it and let it see the light of day, regardless of it most likely being an event for which justice will never be possible.
he also did so with full knowledge it could cause him personal harm, and i am proud of him for doing the right thing and for his courage.
THE COVER UP after the fact is UNFORGIVABLE.
for this i hold Lawrence Bender, E. Bennett Walsh, and the notorious Harvey Weinstein solely responsible.
they lied, destroyed evidence, and continue to lie about the permanent harm they caused and then chose to suppress.
the cover up did have malicious intent, and shame on these three for all eternity.
CAA never sent anyone to Mexico.
i hope they look after other clients more respectfully if they in fact want to do the job for which they take money with any decency.
snootchiebootchies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to snootchiebootchies For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2018, 02:20 PM   #1148
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Now it's the world of hockey.

Dave "Tiger" Williams charged after an Armed Forces "Good Will" tour.

http://globalnews.ca/news/4016853/da...liams-charged/
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 02:36 PM   #1149
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
Now it's the world of hockey.

Dave "Tiger" Williams charged after an Armed Forces "Good Will" tour.

http://globalnews.ca/news/4016853/da...liams-charged/
not really part of the abuse epidemic.

he assaulted one person and has been charged. don't think this has much to do with this conversation of ongoing predatory behavior.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 02:40 PM   #1150
taco.vidal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
not really part of the abuse epidemic.

he assaulted one person and has been charged. don't think this has much to do with this conversation of ongoing predatory behavior.
Stop bullying the poster. This should be a safe space for everyone who needs it.
taco.vidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 11:19 AM   #1151
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Whoops.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/patr...?autoPlay=true

Quote:
I stand absolutely by the truth of what I said to CTV. There is nothing in what Patrick Brown alleges that undermines the core truth of what I have experienced with him," said the woman who accused Brown of dropping his pants and telling her to perform oral sex in his home about 10 years ago, a claim he denies.
except you know, this part.....

Quote:
She now says that she was of legal drinking age and out of high school. Brown was a Conservative member of Parliament at the time of the alleged incident.
Old 02-14-2018, 11:38 AM   #1152
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Saw the new topic but thought I would post in here. Just want to point out that aside from the affect this has on Patrick Brown himself, an entire provincial election and the resulting change this may have had on millions of Ontarions has possibly been based on false allegations. Pretty serious implications for about a third of the country's population, this affects more than just Brown.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2018, 12:21 PM   #1153
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
I love Tarantino as a filmmaker but I have always had serious doubts about him as a human being.
Making someone drive 65 kilometers per hour down a road doesn't really seem like an outrageous request to me.
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 01:13 PM   #1154
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
Whoops.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/patr...?autoPlay=true

except you know, this part.....
you know something is fishy when it goes from "this is the truth" to, "well, the core truth" surprised she didn't give the James Frey line about they were not lies because of the "emotional truth"
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 01:41 PM   #1155
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
you know something is fishy when it goes from "this is the truth" to, "well, the core truth" surprised she didn't give the James Frey line about they were not lies because of the "emotional truth"
Old 02-14-2018, 02:44 PM   #1156
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Hedley Respond to Sexual Misconduct Allegations as Junos Appearance Gets Cancelled

https://exclaim.ca/music/article/hed...mpaign=fbpwall
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 02:51 PM   #1157
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

So I guess that rebellious kids aren't going to grow up to be rock stars anymore. The whole concept of Sex, drugs and Rock and Roll is going to be replaced with Reading Clubs and Rock and Roll.

It used to be that the biggest lie by a lead singer was that "He does this for the music man", and then "We do it for the fans"

Well it doesn't matter if its the most sensitive singer or politically motivated male feminist singer in the world to the Satanic Rocker to the whatever.

They all did it because it got them laid.

Even the female rock groups like the GoGo's did things that would now be all over the papers and people instead of shaking their heads and saying oh those boys, would be out burning their albums and boycotting their shows.

I'm not saying its a bad thing at all, there are a lot of creeps out there.

But I think its funny that at some point, when your son opens up his christmas gift and see's that guitar that you bought him, he's going to say "I'd rather get a book on GAAP, I can get more %%% with that"

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2018, 04:40 PM   #1158
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
They all did it because it got them laid.
I'm waiting for this hurricane to hit the music industry. And not just current artists, all the rock gods of yore. I bet you could count the stars in the rock and rock hall of fame who didn't exploit their power to have sex with underage/drunk/stoned girls on one hand.

For some reason, though, people don't want to hear about bad behaviour when it comes to their music idols. Or they're more forgiving. It's strange.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 04:49 PM   #1159
Red Slinger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
I'm waiting for this hurricane to hit the music industry. And not just current artists, all the rock gods of yore. I bet you could count the stars in the rock and rock hall of fame who didn't exploit their power to have sex with underage/drunk/stoned girls on one hand.

For some reason, though, people don't want to hear about bad behaviour when it comes to their music idols. Or they're more forgiving. It's strange.
Yeah, a lot of it isn't even a secret and it's pretty gross.

You're right that music seems a little different, rock in particular. It's almost like there was a tacit agreement between Rock Stars and society: they would burn the candle at both ends, flirt with death (many unsuccessfully), and do the things that 'normal' people only fantasized about and we would look the other way at their foibles while they played out our darkest fantasies for us from the safety of our couch.

You've got to think Mick Jagger is hiding in a corner somewhere hoping he doesn't get spotted until the MeToo heat subsides.
Red Slinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 10:52 PM   #1160
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Slinger View Post

You've got to think Mick Jagger is hiding in a corner somewhere hoping he doesn't get spotted until the MeToo heat subsides.
You could easily say that about dozens of high profile bands and rock/pop stars over the years. Led Zeppelin were notoriously nasty when it came to groupies. Check out the biography "Hammer of the Gods". Some pretty crazy stories in that book.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote