Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2022, 10:12 AM   #4801
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Love and Thunder was awful.

(.....)

They have turned Thor into an idiotic mimbo, taking his one liners from previous movies and turning it into his whole character. They ruined Gor, making it two classic Thor villains they've butchered now, along with Malekith.
Agreed. The overemphasis on comedy completely distracted from, well, anything else.

The one aspect I thought was terrific was the black and white Gorr scenes. And Gorr himself could have been a great villain if he weren't left to suffocate in a pool of slapstick.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 11:25 AM   #4802
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
And I hate 'Joh Wick' comparisons too. That movie is so amazingly good for a variety of reasons, you're not going to touch it.
There have been many movies chasing that John Wick feel and outside of something like Atomic Blonde, most have failed miserably (and I know some people think AB failed too but I like it).

Hard to believe Wick was made for $30 million. They've created an excellent IP with that universe. 4th movie coming out next year and The Continental TV mini-series (with Mel Gibson...) coming out after that.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 08:06 AM   #4803
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Watched Lux Aeterna a 51 minute Gasper Noe film about actresses backstage in a movie shoot about to film a scene involving witches being burned at the stake. It's an anxiety inducing assault on your visual and audio senses. Highly recommended this one if you enjoyed Climax, this is only my second Noe film but I really vibe with his work.

TW: Do not see this film if you are epileptic. The last 20 minutes involve bright flashing lights and you might have a seizure.
Nadal Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 06:36 PM   #4804
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Recently watched Heavy Metal and Heavy Metal 2000 both for the first time and what an interesting experience.

Heavy Metal isn't much of a movie but a series of segments based off the magazine Heavy Metal I believe. I love animated movies from the 70s/80s that were geared 100% towards adults, there are so very few these days. The animation was awesome and had an amazing sound track to go along with it. Some of the segments were better than others, and some were so over the top they were the ultimate male power fantasy. John Candy is always a win, I enjoyed it quite a bit.

Heavy Metal 2000 while a more straightforward film is a movie everyone seems to hate but I actually enjoyed it. Story was a little basic but at times the animation (when more traditional) was fantastic and vibrant and at other times (when they used computer animation) has aged like milk left in a hot car. I also didn't think the music was as good as the first one, but still worth a watch because there are so few films like it being made today.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nadal Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2022, 06:40 PM   #4805
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
Recently watched Heavy Metal and Heavy Metal 2000 both for the first time and what an interesting experience.

Heavy Metal isn't much of a movie but a series of segments based off the magazine Heavy Metal I believe. I love animated movies from the 70s/80s that were geared 100% towards adults, there are so very few these days. The animation was awesome and had an amazing sound track to go along with it. Some of the segments were better than others, and some were so over the top they were the ultimate male power fantasy. John Candy is always a win, I enjoyed it quite a bit.

Heavy Metal 2000 while a more straightforward film is a movie everyone seems to hate but I actually enjoyed it. Story was a little basic but at times the animation (when more traditional) was fantastic and vibrant and at other times (when they used computer animation) has aged like milk left in a hot car. I also didn't think the music was as good as the first one, but still worth a watch because there are so few films like it being made today.
This could be your signature.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2022, 08:56 PM   #4806
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

Grey Man on Netflix was dumb and fun. If you're looking for an entertaining action flick with good banter and a not so complicated storyline, it's a fun watch. D-bag Chris Evans might be my favourite Chris Evans, he's having a blast with this role.
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Nyah For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2022, 12:47 AM   #4807
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just watched A24's X on prime

not usually the kind of movie I would normally watch as the synopsis didn't seem like a "typical" A24 film but it made a lot of top lists of 2022, so I thought I'd give it a try

turns out, it was a great movie...weird...mildly unsettling (compared to other A24 films at least) ... anyone who's a fan of A24 is probably going to enjoy it.
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 12:51 AM   #4808
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
Just watched A24's X on prime

not usually the kind of movie I would normally watch as the synopsis didn't seem like a "typical" A24 film but it made a lot of top lists of 2022, so I thought I'd give it a try

turns out, it was a great movie...weird...mildly unsettling (compared to other A24 films at least) ... anyone who's a fan of A24 is probably going to enjoy it.
In case you didn't know, they filmed a prequel back-to-back and it's set to come out in September:
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2022, 04:12 PM   #4809
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
In case you didn't know, they filmed a prequel back-to-back and it's set to come out in September:
Thanks! I didn’t know that, but that totally makes sense as I thought the old lady and her looked similar. And some of her comments make more sense now within the context of a sequel
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 10:20 PM   #4810
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Anyone else see "The Humans" on Crave?

I really liked it, the general premise is a fairly typical, close knit, middle class family, with the parents being quite religious, having thanksgiving dinner at their daughters new (old) apartment in NYC. There is just this general level of spookiness throughout the film coupled with the pain of getting older, the struggles of day to day life, and the fraught relationships between parents, and their children. But like I said, weird spooky energy throughout as well.

Worth a watch!
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flames_fan_down_under For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2022, 07:40 AM   #4811
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I watched 2010 the year we make contact. I’ve seen 2001 many times but didn’t want to sully it with an inadequate sequel. Turns out it isn’t bad at all. Not a classic by any stretch but a worthy follow up. In fact, 2010 could use to be remade and benefit from modern CGI. I’d give it a recommend for sure.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2022, 09:27 AM   #4812
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
I watched 2010 the year we make contact. I’ve seen 2001 many times but didn’t want to sully it with an inadequate sequel. Turns out it isn’t bad at all. Not a classic by any stretch but a worthy follow up. In fact, 2010 could use to be remade and benefit from modern CGI. I’d give it a recommend for sure.

2010 had an impossible standard to live up to. In it's own right it's a really good movie.

In the same vein, I watched Clue last night for the first time. I avoided it for years but the cast drew me in, and it was hilarious - they looked like they were having so much fun that you couldn't help but laugh.

- Surferguy

Last edited by Puppet Guy; 07-31-2022 at 09:31 AM.
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Puppet Guy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2022, 10:28 AM   #4813
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yesterday was Arnold Schwarzenegger's 75th birthday, hit me with your top 10 Arnie movies.

10) Jingle All the Way
9) Red Heat
8) End of Days
7) True Lies
6)Running Man
5) Batman & Robin
4) The Last Action Hero
3) Total Recall
2) Predator
1) Terminator 1 & 2 (cheating I know)
Old 07-31-2022, 11:15 AM   #4814
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Recommend (or don't) a movie thread v2

Quote:
Yesterday was Arnold Schwarzenegger's 75th birthday, hit me with your top 10 Arnie movies.

10) Jingle All the Way
9) Red Heat
8) End of Days
7) True Lies
6)Running Man
5) Batman & Robin
4) The Last Action Hero
3) Total Recall
2) Predator

Twins & Kindergarten Cop & Conan the Barbarian over End of Days & Batman & Robin & Predator.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2022, 11:18 AM   #4815
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also… Bill & Ted Face the Music (on Netflix now). Not great.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 01:20 PM   #4816
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Twins & Kindergarten Cop & Conan the Barbarian over End of Days & Batman & Robin & Predator.
Twins and Kindergarten Cop are both great haven't seen Conan. I know that End of Days and B&R aren't everyone's cup of tea but I'm surprised with Predator great action/horror film.
Old 07-31-2022, 04:03 PM   #4817
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Presumably you just forgot Commando exists, otherwise I might have to let off some steam.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2022, 04:41 PM   #4818
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Presumably you just forgot Commando exists, otherwise I might have to let off some steam.
Well I have it on blu ray but never actually seen it, maybe I'll give it a watch this week
Old 07-31-2022, 04:43 PM   #4819
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:

10) Jingle All the Way
9) Red Heat
8) End of Days
7) True Lies
6)Running Man
5) Batman & Robin
4) The Last Action Hero
3) Total Recall
2) Predator
1) Terminator 2
2) Terminator 1
3) True Lies
4) Predator
5) Total Recall
6) Kindergarten Cop
7) Twins
8) Commando
9) Conan the Barbarian & The Lamentation of Their Women
10) Red Heat
11) Running Man (could be switched with Red Heat)
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2022, 06:09 PM   #4820
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
1) Terminator 2
2) Terminator 1
3) True Lies
4) Predator
5) Total Recall
6) Kindergarten Cop
7) Twins
8) Commando
9) Conan the Barbarian & The Lamentation of Their Women
10) Red Heat
11) Running Man (could be switched with Red Heat)
Can't argue with that list. I personally prefer Terminator 1 to 2 overall but there's way more Arnold in 2.
Party Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote