Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2019, 08:15 AM   #3961
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
Except when we thought Jon was Ned's bastard it was implied he would never have a claim to any throne/Winterfell.
So I'm not sure the patriarchy thing overrules the bastard thing.
It appears that it does for the Throne: that's why Cercei had all of Roberts bastards killed in Kings Landing in season 1 (or 2?).
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 09:45 AM   #3962
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyah View Post
It appears that it does for the Throne: that's why Cercei had all of Roberts bastards killed in Kings Landing in season 1 (or 2?).
Wasn't it revealed that it was Joffrey that ordered all of Robert's bastards killed? Cersei looked disturbed about the killings when Tyrion called her out on it and deduced that it was Joffrey that ordered them killed.

Gendry's claim to be Robert's son is pretty tenuous at best. I don't think there is any real physical evidence of his lineage. Gendry is no different than any commoner in the 7 kingdoms because Robert didn't publicly acknowledge his existence. In fact there wasn't even anything in the show that made it clear Robert was aware or even cared a lot for his bastards. I mean anyone in a certain age group that kind of looked like Robert could have as strong a claim as Gendry.

Jon is kind of in a similar position with his claim to the Iron throne. Even if the High Septon's diary that shows Rhaegar and Lyanna legally got married, there is not a lot of proof that they had a child and that Jon is that child besides a creepy cripple saying so.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 09:55 AM   #3963
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

My prediction is this:

A bunch of stuff happens where loyalties fall apart and ultimately Dany has the dragons light Jon up. But because of his Targ blood - he comes out unscathed just like Dany does and everyone realizes his claim to the throne as his lineage is proven.
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Coys1882 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2019, 10:02 AM   #3964
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Jon is kind of in a similar position with his claim to the Iron throne. Even if the High Septon's diary that shows Rhaegar and Lyanna legally got married, there is not a lot of proof that they had a child and that Jon is that child besides a creepy cripple saying so.
the creepy cripple's testimony was apparently good enough for all the northern lords during Littlefinger's "trial", even with nobody being able to verify his specific claims (nor Sansa's for that matter). I guess it helps when what was once the show's biggest political brain decides to convict himself instead of poking holes in the very dubious he said/she said accusations.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 10:08 AM   #3965
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coys1882 View Post
My prediction is this:

A bunch of stuff happens where loyalties fall apart and ultimately Dany has the dragons light Jon up. But because of his Targ blood - he comes out unscathed just like Dany does and everyone realizes his claim to the throne as his lineage is proven.
what is even the official rule about Targaryen fire-proofness? why couldn't Viserys withstand the heat? far as anyone knows he's from that family and seems to have more of the old blood than Jon does, given their respective appearance.
Old 04-17-2019, 10:15 AM   #3966
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
what is even the official rule about Targaryen fire-proofness? why couldn't Viserys withstand the heat? far as anyone knows he's from that family and seems to have more of the old blood than Jon does, given their respective appearance.
I think it's fire - not just heat.
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 10:18 AM   #3967
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Quote:
Possibly only worthy ones?
stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stang For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2019, 10:23 AM   #3968
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
pretty sure it's any form of heat as Dany was unharmed by her super hot bath and picking up the hot dragon egg, while Viserys was hurt by candle wax poured on his chest.
The Following User Says Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2019, 01:06 PM   #3969
GreatWhiteEbola
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
... Jon is that child besides a creepy cripple saying so.
Quote:
the creepy cripple's testimony ...
I wasn't too sure if we were still using this term to reference a person that uses a wheelchair... I guess we are? Only when it's a character on TV?

GreatWhiteEbola is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GreatWhiteEbola For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2019, 01:59 PM   #3970
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Wasn't it revealed that it was Joffrey that ordered all of Robert's bastards killed? Cersei looked disturbed about the killings when Tyrion called her out on it and deduced that it was Joffrey that ordered them killed.

Gendry's claim to be Robert's son is pretty tenuous at best. I don't think there is any real physical evidence of his lineage. Gendry is no different than any commoner in the 7 kingdoms because Robert didn't publicly acknowledge his existence. In fact there wasn't even anything in the show that made it clear Robert was aware or even cared a lot for his bastards. I mean anyone in a certain age group that kind of looked like Robert could have as strong a claim as Gendry.

Howland Reed, Meera and Jojens dad who stabbed Ser Dayne in the back of the neck was there when Jon was born and is alive in the current story. Does he show up for confirmation purposes or to help in the battle? Not sure but doubtful, given the precious little screen time left.

At this point, power (armies) is what will take and occupy the throne. Real, verified claim seems rather secondary and might not even matter when the living vs the dead war is over.

I actually think most of the current "players" will perish and so they'll end up creating a council of some kind for the kingdoms.

Last edited by djsFlames; 04-17-2019 at 02:03 PM.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 02:45 PM   #3971
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Not all members of a family inherit all the special powers. It's the same with the Starks. Not all of them have the mental powers. Some have them but are less powerful than others.

It also sounds like the Targaryens weed out the ones without the powers. It'd be pretty tough to tame and ride dragons without the ability to resist heat.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2019, 02:51 PM   #3972
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Quote:
pretty sure it's any form of heat as Dany was unharmed by her super hot bath and picking up the hot dragon egg, while Viserys was hurt by candle wax poured on his chest.
Jon picked up a flaming lantern without much problems to kill the Wight that attacked Commander Joer Mormont.

Quote:
Quote:
the creepy cripple's testimony was apparently good enough for all the northern lords during Littlefinger's "trial", even with nobody being able to verify his specific claims (nor Sansa's for that matter). I guess it helps when what was once the show's biggest political brain decides to convict himself instead of poking holes in the very dubious he said/she said accusations.
There is also Howland Reed who was at the Tower of Joy with Ned Stark. He does appear in the fight in season 6 at the tower, made it out of the fight alive, and would have known about the baby from the tower. Jon could also just get himself roasted like the others suggest. I wonder which the show will go with.

Last edited by FlameOn; 04-17-2019 at 02:58 PM.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 02:55 PM   #3973
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatWhiteEbola View Post
I wasn't too sure if we were still using this term to reference a person that uses a wheelchair... I guess we are? Only when it's a character on TV?
Kinda makes sense to use the terms used in the show. It would feel strange to refer to Bran as 'a person with mobility impairment,' just as it would calling Tyrion a little person and the women who work at Littlefinger's brothel sex workers.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 04:10 PM   #3974
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Kinda makes sense to use the terms used in the show. It would feel strange to refer to Bran as 'a person with mobility impairment,' just as it would calling Tyrion a little person and the women who work at Littlefinger's brothel sex workers.
Season 1 Episode 4 title before: Cripples, Bastards, and Broken Things

after: Mobility Impaired Individuals, Non-Traditional Family Unit Children, and Structurally Challenged Things?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2019, 05:12 PM   #3975
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

after: Mobility Impaired Individuals, Non-Traditional Family Unit Children, and Structurally Challenged Things?
Should be Mobility Challenged Individuals

shame
shame
shame
shame
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 06:11 PM   #3976
GreatWhiteEbola
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
Should be Mobility Challenged Individuals

shame
shame
shame
shame
So when it's a character in a TV show then, got ya.

For future reference, the alternatives that you have presented are just as insulting. A person who uses a wheelchair would be preferred. I don't think the use of the word cripple was necessary for making the point in the posts I originally quoted.

Last edited by GreatWhiteEbola; 04-17-2019 at 06:29 PM.
Old 04-17-2019, 06:30 PM   #3977
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatWhiteEbola View Post
So when it's a character in a TV show then, got ya.
Not exactly. It’s because it’s what they call the character on the show. It’s not appropriate when describing every character in a wheelchair on tv. I’ve never called professor x a cripple before. Stinkin’ mutie, maybe, but never cripple.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2019, 06:42 PM   #3978
GreatWhiteEbola
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Not exactly. It’s because it’s what they call the character on the show. It’s not appropriate when describing every character in a wheelchair on tv. I’ve never called professor x a cripple before. Stinkin’ mutie, maybe, but never cripple.
In the context of the show as written in the script, not in describing the character on a public forum. It was not needed in the posts I originally quoted. Sad to see that many don't see it as a pejorative, even in the context.

And the characters name is Bran, not cripple.

Old 04-17-2019, 06:52 PM   #3979
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

I read that as the poster trying to convey how the people in the world of GoT would view Bran, and many do view him as a "creepy cripple" with the pejorative use of the term intended.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 07:04 PM   #3980
GreatWhiteEbola
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
I read that as the poster trying to convey how the people in the world of GoT would view Bran, and many do view him as a "creepy cripple" with the pejorative use of the term intended.
Ahh, you may be right. I don't really care, just found it odd when I first read it, not so much now.