Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2016, 10:00 AM   #1301
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelBridgeman View Post
"How to say No, various ways" -
Justin T.
Substitute Drama Teacher
White water rafting guide
Prime Minister
Didn't he also try to get an engineering degree and then flunk out after a year and a bit?
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 10:13 AM   #1302
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Well I don't know. I watched his actual answers, and that's what I took from them. I certainly didn't find them fearful or like they were pushing to find a way to waffle or not answer. I got the exact opposite impression. You know what the problem could be though...my version of the answers sells way fewer papers or generates a lot fewer clicks than the other side.

Oh and that article is last nights, whereas I mean the press conference this afternoon.
As soon as you are forced to say things like "what I took from them", you are filling in blanks yourself. And when a politician leaves blanks, that means a non-answer answer. Trudeau might ultimately respect the recommendations - assuming he doesn't find ways to delay the process further - but nothing in his answers stated he would respect the process.

Also, if cabinet has final say, then the process is neither independent nor can one claim it is not politicized.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2016, 10:14 AM   #1303
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Alright but who says they won't be approved? At this point all they're saying is that the NEB has to approve them before they will wade into the matter. That seems like a rational way to move ahead to me?
He also said he won't be a cheerleader he will be a referee because cheerleaders don't score goals. He can go ahead and not cheer on the pipelines but it's his job to keep the Canadian economy growing and keep people working.
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 10:17 AM   #1304
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Didn't he also try to get an engineering degree and then flunk out after a year and a bit?
To be a doctor in Canada you need ten years of schooling. To be a leader of a country just a high school diploma works.
Old 02-05-2016, 10:17 AM   #1305
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wait... do referees score goals now?
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 10:19 AM   #1306
ranchlandsselling
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

nm

Last edited by ranchlandsselling; 02-05-2016 at 02:12 PM.
ranchlandsselling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 11:28 AM   #1307
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

This seems to be a lot of fear-mongering or pre-emptive worrying. The pipeline has to be approved by the NEB, which is non-partisan, right? So once that process is complete I guess we'll see what happens. If cabinet votes against it, have no doubt I will be right there with you guys calling them out.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 11:42 AM   #1308
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
So did I, but I turned out ok.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2016, 11:48 AM   #1309
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
As soon as you are forced to say things like "what I took from them", you are filling in blanks yourself. And when a politician leaves blanks, that means a non-answer answer. Trudeau might ultimately respect the recommendations - assuming he doesn't find ways to delay the process further - but nothing in his answers stated he would respect the process.

Also, if cabinet has final say, then the process is neither independent nor can one claim it is not politicized.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stampsx2 View Post
He also said he won't be a cheerleader he will be a referee because cheerleaders don't score goals. He can go ahead and not cheer on the pipelines but it's his job to keep the Canadian economy growing and keep people working.
Here's the Natural Resources minister speaking this morning at the Calgary Chamber of Commerce

Quote:
"We are going to create the best chance for these projects to be reviewed, and those decisions will hold the confidence of Canadians, and cabinet will determine if it's in the national interest," said Carr. "The prime minister's goal is to get our resources to tidewater sustainably."
And talking specifically about changes at the NEB:

Quote:
Carr explained why one of his priorities is to make changes to the National Energy Board, including how that organization reviews pipeline project proposals.

"It hasn't worked, it's too tough, it takes too long," Carr said. "How can we do better?"
And he was seated with TCPL and Kinder Morgan. Russ Girling had this to say:

Quote:
"I am confident working together government, industry, aboriginal communities, NGOs, and all the people that have a say, working together we can bring that opportunity to fruition," said TransCanada's Girling in remarks thanking Carr for attending the event.

"Thanks for listening, learning and your leadership that will, I'm confident, will lead us to a better outcome going forward."
Pretty ominous sounding. Here's the full article:http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...erce-1.3435192
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 11:52 AM   #1310
Izzle
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...line/79835274/

I guess this is the kind of forward thinking you can get away with in the last months of your presidency.
So does this mean that a barrel of oil produced in USA will be $10 additional (if passed). And if it does trickle down to consumers, wouldnt that make US oil expensive to buy. If thats the case, wouldnt Europe want to purchase Canadian Oil (granted, they'd have to do their own cost benefit analysis. I was just thinking hypothetically)? And furthermore, wouldnt this also mean provinces buying US oil be better off buying Canadian Oil?

Ultimately, isnt the $10 per barrel good for Canada? And doesnt this stress the importance of getting various pipelines built?
Izzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 12:12 PM   #1311
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
So did I, but I turned out ok.
hey, me too!
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 12:54 PM   #1312
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd assume any U.S. Oil tax would have an export exemption when their demand exceeds supply. Since it applies to imports and domestically produced all it does is increase cost for the consumer.

It's basically a 10 cents a litre gas tax
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 01:08 PM   #1313
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
To be a doctor in Canada you need ten years of schooling. To be a leader of a country just a high school diploma works.
No doubt that explains why nobody ever thought Ralph Klein was qualified to be the premier of Alberta.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 01:10 PM   #1314
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Here's the Natural Resources minister speaking this morning at the Calgary Chamber of Commerce

And talking specifically about changes at the NEB:

And he was seated with TCPL and Kinder Morgan. Russ Girling had this to say:

Pretty ominous sounding. Here's the full article:http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...erce-1.3435192
It's hard to believe Trudeau will let any pipeline go through even if approved by the NEB. He already put a nail in the coffin of the approved northern gateway. If any pipeline got approved by the NEB there will be opposition and Trudeau will side with them in the form of "delays".

Alberta is better off forgeting about any Trudeau pipeline approval and seeing how else this prime minister can prop up a downward spiraling Canadian economy.
Old 02-05-2016, 01:12 PM   #1315
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
No doubt that explains why nobody ever thought Ralph Klein was qualified to be the premier of Alberta.
Or pretty much any provincial or federal leader so moot point.
Old 02-05-2016, 01:37 PM   #1316
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I think the $10/barrel tax is essentially the United States blinking first on cutting production. This is great news for Canada if it goes through.
_Q_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 01:43 PM   #1317
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
It's hard to believe Trudeau will let any pipeline go through even if approved by the NEB. He already put a nail in the coffin of the approved northern gateway. If any pipeline got approved by the NEB there will be opposition and Trudeau will side with them in the form of "delays".

Alberta is better off forgeting about any Trudeau pipeline approval and seeing how else this prime minister can prop up a downward spiraling Canadian economy.
I was going to bring that up, that he murdered an approved pipeline within days of winning the election with his mandate letters.

He's added about 9 months to the review process, which will pretty much push it to the next election, where he will hold up, if you elect me we might build the pipelines.

There's lots of things that he could get done now, merely by presenting to the house as majority leader, extending UI benefits for example.

The 700 million is a joke not coming from the Liberals it was approved in 2014. The 250 million in emergency stabilization is nothing, yet they are going to rush through the bailout of Bombardier.

I don't have a lot of faith in Justin, he's said too much negatively about this province and the energy industry, and he's leaning too hard on being a environmental government that is basically going to give a greater say to these groups and the native groups which will hold things up even more.

He was raised by his father who was virulently anti Alberta. Justin even has his own version of Marc Lalonde in Gerald Butts who has blasted the oil industry repeatedly in the past.

Its not a matter of having faith that Trudeau will do the right thing, its up to him to prove the perceptions wrong.

Oh and being a referee to me, means that he's not going to lift a finger to do anything that will upset the people that see him as the great hope.

If he proves me wrong, I will fully admit it right here.

I think we'll get to the next election with no significant movement on the pipelines.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 02:10 PM   #1318
ranchlandsselling
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Yeah, the $700 million is driving me crazy hearing about it constantly. What a drop in the bucket. How much did Suncor cancel the other day?

Last edited by ranchlandsselling; 02-05-2016 at 02:12 PM.
ranchlandsselling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 02:17 PM   #1319
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

In other news, Notley's government has launched a new support program for solar projects in the province. Creating jobs! Hooray!
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 02:58 PM   #1320
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
In other news, Notley's government has launched a new support program for solar projects in the province. Creating jobs! Hooray!
Taken without the abject cynicism this is likely going to be very good policy.
Tinordi is offline   Reply With Quote