Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2023, 01:16 PM   #21
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Know what might be cool? A big fake tree with a whole bunch of bird-house-style tiny homes hanging off the branches. Let our unhoused sleep in them. I don't even intend that to be mean. I'd check that out and look at them hanging out on their little perches and stuff. It'd be artistic, interactive and potentially solve some issues. Practical art.

That's a really great idea if I do say so myself.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 01:16 PM   #22
Titan2
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
Remember that the artist isn't getting $2.25M, they get only a small portion of that. Material, fabrication, delivery and installation of the piece often times is done locally (as was the case with the rock art by Canada Olympic Park), which employs locals and provides work.

I don't have a for-or-against position on the current municipal public art policy, and I don't work for the City; but I do think it's important for people to understand that there's more to the cost of art than just aligning '$2.25M' with a 'foreign artist'.
Thanks. I do understand that. I just think we should be promoting local. If it is spectacular, and I happen to put the Peace bridge into that category, then I don't mind, as much, but man, this is not that.
The Following User Says Thank You to Titan2 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2023, 01:19 PM   #23
Titan2
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Know what might be cool? A big fake tree with a whole bunch of bird-house-style tiny homes hanging off the branches. Let our unhoused sleep in them. I don't even intend that to be mean. I'd check that out and look at them hanging out on their little perches and stuff. It'd be artistic, interactive and potentially solve some issues. Practical art.

That's a really great idea if I do say so myself.
That post started off really well, I was with you then Blammo, hard right turn.

You know, this is one step away from putting them in the zoo?

Last edited by Titan2; 11-01-2023 at 01:20 PM. Reason: The funnies keep coming.
Titan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 01:23 PM   #24
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan2 View Post
Thanks. I do understand that. I just think we should be promoting local. If it is spectacular, and I happen to put the Peace bridge into that category, then I don't mind, as much, but man, this is not that.
I definitely see and understand your point Titan, and I also want to support local where we can.

Keep in mind too, that many of our beautiful city's most famous pieces of infrastructure - the new library, the Peace Bridge, Studio Bell, the Bow, Telus Sky, and soon the new convention centre and the new arena - were/are designed by non-local firms. These are important components of Calgary's culture and local ethos. Locals architects and engineers, however, are employed during the creation process are a very critical part of the equation. Do I think locals should be given a chance? Absolutely. But, I keep an open mind when it comes to each individual project and how it came to be, and how it will benefit our city as a whole in the future.
Muta is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2023, 01:26 PM   #25
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
I like the giant head in front of The Bow. This one gives me nightmares as it looks like some kind of growing infection.
Judah’s work seems a lot more emotive and inspiring of wonder than a giant head, though, so I’m not sure how you square these things. What kinds of infections are you having?

Worth noting that the same people responsible for installing the giant head will be installing this one, and installation is not an insignificant part of the overall delivery of a large scale sculpture, so who knows, maybe you’ll like this one when you actually see it instead of just reading about it.

Quote:
Is the peace bridge spectacular? What makes it more spectacular than this, in your view? (putting aside the fact that we’re comparing a full scale bridge to one picture of one side of an tabletop example of an installation that’s going to be 70 feet tall)

I like it form first glance of the model, and ultimately not everyone is going to like it, but I just do not understand why Calgarians complain about art before it’s even real.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 01:29 PM   #26
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Dang it, that budget is 9% of another Peace bridge. Silly hall has its priorities wrong again!
And it'll probably be installed before the Peace Bridge is functional again!
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 01:35 PM   #27
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Judah’s work seems a lot more emotive and inspiring of wonder than a giant head, though, so I’m not sure how you square these things. What kinds of infections are you having?

Insert Kindergarten Cop meme here.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2023, 01:38 PM   #28
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

I don’t think tumours are blue.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 01:41 PM   #29
La Flames Fan
THE Chuck Storm

Exp:

More about Spirit of Water:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oThn5huLHYI
Old 11-01-2023, 01:42 PM   #30
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Flames Fan View Post
Thank you, it looks better and more interesting from these video angles. Still getting trypophobia vibes but it does look a lot more dynamic from those viewpoints and with a moving camera.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2023, 01:45 PM   #31
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
I don’t think tumours are blue.
They are often seen as blue when examined on a typical lab slide after the standard staining procedure which tinges blue in the presence of nucleus cells with scant cytoplasm.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2023, 01:48 PM   #32
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does anyone else find it weird that outrage and inrage (obsolete spelling of enrage) are closer to synonyms than antonyms?
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 02:02 PM   #33
para transit fellow
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
then put a thumb on the ####ing scale. $2.25 million is a stupid amount of money for a foreign artist. This is riling me up more than it should. I understand the treaty part and had not considered that. I am sure there are ways around it. Have a local organization 'donate' the statue to the City.

Whatevs. pisses me off.
I marvel how calgarians get upset at particular public art projects. No one comments on the $10 million structure at Ralph Klien park. (The Sentinal)

I like that this one is actually going up at a public place where people will see it
para transit fellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 02:02 PM   #34
driveway
A Fiddler Crab

Exp:

All public art & architecture in Calgary goes through a series of phases:

Phase 1: "It costs WHAT!? For THAT!?" Everyone complains about how much the art or building is going to cost, and how ugly it is. This phase usually lasts through the entire construction process, and is often combined with moaning about how long its taking, and the upheaval construction is causing.

Phase 2: "Oohhhh..." Someone from outside the city places value on the art or architecture. A publication or expert makes the claim that it is a great example of such-and-so, or it wins some kind of award.

Phase 3: "WORLD. CLASS. CITY." Calgarians become fiercely proud and defensive of the structure or art, relentlessly pointing to the external value placed on it as further evidence of Calgary's being underrated globally and its superiority to Edmonton / other Canadian city.
driveway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 02:05 PM   #35
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mildly amused "Spirit of Water" is what was chosen, given the area was underwater in 2013. Maybe Spirit of Dryness?
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 02:13 PM   #36
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by driveway View Post
All public art & architecture in Calgary goes through a series of phases:

Phase 1: "It costs WHAT!? For THAT!?" Everyone complains about how much the art or building is going to cost, and how ugly it is. This phase usually lasts through the entire construction process, and is often combined with moaning about how long its taking, and the upheaval construction is causing.

Phase 2: "Oohhhh..." Someone from outside the city places value on the art or architecture. A publication or expert makes the claim that it is a great example of such-and-so, or it wins some kind of award.

Phase 3: "WORLD. CLASS. CITY." Calgarians become fiercely proud and defensive of the structure or art, relentlessly pointing to the external value placed on it as further evidence of Calgary's being underrated globally and its superiority to Edmonton / other Canadian city.
You missed Phase 1 including a Rick Bell article.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2023, 02:14 PM   #37
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Mildly amused "Spirit of Water" is what was chosen, given the area was underwater in 2013. Maybe Spirit of Dryness?
Should have called it "The Way of Water" and get that sweet Avatar money. Just like when Springfield was going to change its name to Seinfeld and cash in big.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2023, 02:22 PM   #38
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
Often times with public art, a call for bids is sent out, and anybody can bid on the project (there are trade agreements in place to allow this). If nobody local bids on the project, or the best and/or most cost-efficient bid comes from a non-local bidder, then that's the way it goes. This occurrence frequently gets forgotten/overlooked amongst the public art discussion.
My understanding on the reason we have to consider international artists over $x has to do with free trade agreements.

So yes, it would be nice that Calgary art comes from Calgarian artists, but with free trade agreements Calgarian artists get the benefit of being considered for public art in cities all over the world.
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Torture For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2023, 02:24 PM   #39
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by para transit fellow View Post
I marvel how calgarians get upset at particular public art projects. No one comments on the $10 million structure at Ralph Klien park. (The Sentinal)

I like that this one is actually going up at a public place where people will see it
This website says it cost $1.57 million, not $10 million.
https://www.calgary.ca/arts-culture/...sentinels.html
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 02:26 PM   #40
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I get the sentiment to promote local artists. But if we only consider Calgary artists for public art projects, is there any reason why Seattle, Toronto, or Halifax should consider Calgary artists for their projects?
CliffFletcher is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post: