Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2022, 07:35 PM   #8701
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrangy View Post
Someone could send a 1 year 10.5 mil offer sheet for Tkachuk. I don’t know if he would sign it and risk future earnings but it is a possibility. Compensation is 2 1sts, 2nd, 3rd. So i feel like that kind of sets the market value if you’d want to trade him right now, plus whatever the ability to sign him to an 8 year deal now instead of on Jan 1 would be.

Wouldn’t be thrilled to trade Tkachuk for that package to most teams.
Why would anyone spend that many picks on a 1-year offer?
Old 07-13-2022, 07:37 PM   #8702
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrangy View Post
Someone could send a 1 year 10.5 mil offer sheet for Tkachuk. I don’t know if he would sign it and risk future earnings but it is a possibility. Compensation is 2 1sts, 2nd, 3rd. So i feel like that kind of sets the market value if you’d want to trade him right now, plus whatever the ability to sign him to an 8 year deal now instead of on Jan 1 would be.

Wouldn’t be thrilled to trade Tkachuk for that package to most teams.
Compensation is sweet zip if he walks next summer...
Old 07-13-2022, 07:39 PM   #8703
2macinnis2
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphusk View Post
To each their own. I think Columbus is a fantastic and friendly place. Close to many options unlike western Canada.
Not to be difficult but close to what? I’ve lived in NYC and now near Boston… Columbus is very far from us. I lived in Buffalo which had Toronto nearby. Columbus is very isolated. It’s hard to fly there direct. It’s pretty much in the middle of nowhere. And it’s a limited city. I’m no fan of Cleveland or Pittsburgh but I’d rather live there than Columbus, and all 3 are pretty badly isolated.
2macinnis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 2macinnis2 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2022, 07:39 PM   #8704
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
Why would anyone spend that many picks on a 1-year offer?
Because they would own the player's rights and then be able to negotiate a long-term extension? I'm pretty certain that if a team were to offer sheet Tkachuk they would have an agreement in place that he would sign a long-term extension after the acquisition.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 07:40 PM   #8705
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2macinnis2 View Post
I’m no fan of Cleveland or Pittsburgh but I’d rather live there than Columbus, and all 3 are pretty badly isolated.
Surely you jest. Columbus isn't isolated. It's really close to… um… Dayton?
Old 07-13-2022, 07:41 PM   #8706
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphusk View Post
To each their own. I think Columbus is a fantastic and friendly place. Close to many options unlike western Canada.
What options, specifically?
No snark, honest question.
blender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 07:41 PM   #8707
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny_McDonald View Post
Because they would own the player's rights and then be able to negotiate a long-term extension?
Then why not just negotiate a longer-term offer sheet to begin with? I get not going over 5 years, because that increases the compensation, but why only one?

Quote:
I'm pretty certain that if a team were to offer sheet Tkachuk they would have an agreement in place that he would sign a long-term extension after the acquisition.
Such agreements are not permitted under the CBA, so there is no way to make it binding. You sign Tkachuk for 1 year, he retains the ability to walk after the season, no matter what handshake deal you may have thought you made.
Old 07-13-2022, 07:41 PM   #8708
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Because they would own the player's rights and then be able to negotiate a long-term extension? I'm pretty certain that if a team were to offer sheet Tkachuk they would have an agreement in place that he would sign a long-term extension after the acquisition.
They could just trade for him instead of overpaying him for one year and giving out a bunch of picks in the process?
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 07:51 PM   #8709
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I’ve lived in the Northeast US my whole life and have been to both Calgary and Columbus.

It’s not even close. I would live in Calgary. I wouldn’t live in Columbus unless I was making something absurd like 4-5x what I am now.
I live next to Ohio and go there all the time. Columbus is by far the nicest out of the major Ohio cities. Cleveland is a dump. Cincinnati is okay, but it doesn’t compare to Columbus. Columbus is one of the few growing cities in the Midwest I believe.

But Calgary is much better, no contest.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 1qqaaz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2022, 07:54 PM   #8710
memphusk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blender View Post
What options, specifically?
No snark, honest question.
You can hop on any highway any direction and you're in another location. Hours from Nashville, you have ballparks, football stadiums. Things we don't.
Old 07-13-2022, 07:55 PM   #8711
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Not to be difficult but close to what? I’ve lived in NYC and now near Boston… Columbus is very far from us. I lived in Buffalo which had Toronto nearby. Columbus is very isolated. It’s hard to fly there direct. It’s pretty much in the middle of nowhere. And it’s a limited city. I’m no fan of Cleveland or Pittsburgh but I’d rather live there than Columbus, and all 3 are pretty badly isolated.
Not a Columbus fan at all, but you're painting an unfair picture of it. Columbus is three hours from Pittsburgh, two hours fifteen minutes from Cleveland, an hour and a half to Cincinnati, and two hours and forty-five minutes to Indianapolis. Buffalo to Toronto is two hours and change but requires a border crossing which adds a lot of time to the trip. The mid-west is not my cup of tea but there are nice parts of the city, just like every city in the US and Canada. I can understand why a kid from southern Jersey would take Columbus over Calgary and it's all cultural.
Old 07-13-2022, 07:58 PM   #8712
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
They could just trade for him instead of overpaying him for one year and giving out a bunch of picks in the process?
They sure could. That wasn't the option/question though. Also, they may believe they do not have the assets to make the trade and/or feel way more comfortable giving up future picks to acquire the player.
Old 07-13-2022, 08:03 PM   #8713
2macinnis2
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Not a Columbus fan at all, but you're painting an unfair picture of it. Columbus is three hours from Pittsburgh, two hours fifteen minutes from Cleveland, an hour and a half to Cincinnati, and two hours and forty-five minutes to Indianapolis. Buffalo to Toronto is two hours and change but requires a border crossing which adds a lot of time to the trip. The mid-west is not my cup of tea but there are nice parts of the city, just like every city in the US and Canada. I can understand why a kid from southern Jersey would take Columbus over Calgary and it's all cultural.
Nope. Again, I have lived in the NYC and Boston areas now for over 20(!) years. To true coastal Northeasterners (Tristate, NE, DC) Ohio, Western PA and NY and the Midwest are the GD middle of nowhere. Gaudreau growing up in NJ prob couldn’t find Columbus (or maybe even Ohio) on a map. Buffalo is close to Toronto, which is neat but having grown up in Buffalo I’ll readily admit it’s not a destination. Neither are Pittsburgh, Cle, or Cincinnati. To most coastal Northeasterners these are very undesirable places to live.

Just figured I’d give you all impressions as a local. I’m not wild about Jersey but could definitely see why Gaudreau would want to go there. Columbus? Yikes.
2macinnis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 2macinnis2 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2022, 08:03 PM   #8714
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Calgary was 3rd on the Global Liveability rankings. People in Calgary need to not have a complex about our city, it’s literally world class.
Cleveland Steam Whistle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cleveland Steam Whistle For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2022, 08:04 PM   #8715
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
They sure could. That wasn't the option/question though. Also, they may believe they do not have the assets to make the trade and/or feel way more comfortable giving up future picks to acquire the player.
But if the Flames would be willing to take that offer then they could just make that offer? The Flames could say no, but they could also match the contract he signs for and trade him wherever they want.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 08:10 PM   #8716
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Pretty sure you can’t extend a player on a one year contract until January 1st I believe. Would you really want to spend an offer sheet and give up picks only to have him be able to wait a few months to hit free agency?

It would either be a 5-7 year offer sheet or they’ll try and trade for his rights before he’s signed.
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 08:12 PM   #8717
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
But if the Flames would be willing to take that offer then they could just make that offer? The Flames could say no, but they could also match the contract he signs for and trade him wherever they want.
They could. It depends on the motivations of the team. Me? I'd want established players/prospects and not have the magic beans. I prefer guys that have shown the capacity to play the pro game and go from there. Unfortunately, some people/teams prefer their own path and their own picks, so would take the picks. It's all preference.
Old 07-13-2022, 08:24 PM   #8718
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Nope. Again, I have lived in the NYC and Boston areas now for over 20(!) years. To true coastal Northeasterners (Tristate, NE, DC) Ohio, Western PA and NY and the Midwest are the GD middle of nowhere. Gaudreau growing up in NJ prob couldn’t find Columbus (or maybe even Ohio) on a map. Buffalo is close to Toronto, which is neat but having grown up in Buffalo I’ll readily admit it’s not a destination. Neither are Pittsburgh, Cle, or Cincinnati. To most coastal Northeasterners these are very undesirable places to live.

Just figured I’d give you all impressions as a local. I’m not wild about Jersey but could definitely see why Gaudreau would want to go there. Columbus? Yikes.
Wow, with that attitude it's easy to see why people dislike New Yorkers.

I'm not a local but have traveled 48 of the 50 states (driven most of them) and I will say that all the states have their appeal and almost every city has its charm. The mid-west to me was no different than western Pennsylvania, Northern New Jersey, and upstate New York. Suggesting that anywhere in the mid-west is out in the middle of nowhere means you have never been out in the middle of nowhere, which is west Texas/southeastern New Mexico. Once you've been there, EVERYWHERE is a teaming metropolis.
Old 07-13-2022, 10:33 PM   #8719
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Steam Whistle View Post
Calgary was 3rd on the Global Liveability rankings. People in Calgary need to not have a complex about our city, it’s literally world class.
The criteria for those rankings are for middle-class professionals. I expect mega-millionaires have different criteria. Ones that don’t include things like public transportation, public schools, public health care, average salaries, affordability, etc.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 10:36 PM   #8720
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jebus, is every thread about ranking cities and livability reports now?
How about hockey talk
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flames , stanley cup , win