Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Old 11-21-2021, 11:02 PM   #601
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Well they are always talking about plasma relays and plasma conduits and plasma manifolds.

It seems Starfleet is just so stupid that their computer displays are all powered by lava just waiting to explode out after a minor bump.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 11:17 PM   #602
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Spoiler!

At least Prodigy is actually really good. It makes me feel like when I was a kid and would play/pretend Star Trek using moving boxes to build ships in the basement and draw the controls all over them with sharpies.

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 09:05 AM   #603
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

I dont mind the sparks and steam from pipes but the flaming gas flares along bulkheads drives me nuts. Why are there synchronized bursts of open flame on the bridge?

I just finished a re-watch of DS9. Why can't we go back to having episodes that have focused A, B and sometimes C stories that contribute to an over arching story?

This is a Quark and Rom episode, this is a Sisko and Dax episode, this is #### with O'Brien episode, this is a Julien and Vic episode, this is whole cast heist episode...

Star Trek Discovery is not fun and I dont know most of the characters and the ones I do, I dont like them.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Barnes For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2021, 09:49 AM   #604
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnes View Post
I dont mind the sparks and steam from pipes but the flaming gas flares along bulkheads drives me nuts. Why are there synchronized bursts of open flame on the bridge?

I just finished a re-watch of DS9. Why can't we go back to having episodes that have focused A, B and sometimes C stories that contribute to an over arching story?

This is a Quark and Rom episode, this is a Sisko and Dax episode, this is #### with O'Brien episode, this is a Julien and Vic episode, this is whole cast heist episode...

Star Trek Discovery is not fun and I dont know most of the characters and the ones I do, I dont like them.
So their computers don't only run on plasma but also natural gas lol.

I too miss that classic TV storytelling style, I call it the Seinfeld style where you have multiple plots that tie up together in the end.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 10:10 AM   #605
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:

I think that this is a big part of why I have trouble with discovery. STO, DS9, Next Gen, Voyager Ent. Were all ensemble casts. We learned about the background characters, they had their own adventures. They were key indispensible parts of the crew and you felt like things would go badly without them.

With discovery, the back ground characters are really just that. There's no reason to care about them at all. They hint at story lines for them like the helms person with PTSD, and then just drop or resolve the issue as quickly as they can. We don't care about the bridge crew because all they do is spout generic lines and that's it. They're not people, they're props. Everything revolves around Burnham, that's not so different from the other series and their captains. But Burnham doesn't need her bridge crew at all, but you felt that Sisko, and Kirk and Janeway would utterly fail without the input of her crew.

I came out of the last episode thinking who's the second in command. They put the one dude in the Captain's chair but I know absolutely nothing about him, and in the end he gave no feedback or ideas to the captain, he was just there to fill the chair and get out of it when Michael returns.

Even the Admiral in charge of all things doesn't really do much, he gives a briefing and basically lets Michael do what she wants anyways.

It might as well be an empty ship run by AI with Michael giving commands.

And yeah, Tilly really didn't have much to do in this episode at all. Even her big talk at the academy was cut short because Michael had stuff to do.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2021, 10:20 AM   #606
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Saru scenes were totally unnecessary as well. Or could have been cut to a blip.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2021, 10:35 AM   #607
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I thought that they could have done a slow burn on Saru's return. Make him return when things were darkest and they needed his experienced hand. Instead between the end of last year and this year there was about a 10 minute gap where he decides to return to Discovery.

It was literally a waste of a story line where he had a desire to return home and take care of his "son". Instead, it was literally he gets home, everythings fine his "son" is fine, and he returns for no reason.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2021, 10:39 AM   #608
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Because Discovery isn’t an ensemble show. And its Federation isn’t made up of competent and likeable characters. It’s grimdark YA melodrama with a Star Trek skin.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 10:41 AM   #609
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can we talk about Saru?

Because his "experience" was being a freed slave who only saw one ship his entire career, underneath the captain who rescued him from slavery (and coddled him quite a bit, as we saw), then he magically had a genetic transformation where he became less of a snivellus.
Now he's an uber experienced super captain?

Character development in discovery makes no sense.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2021, 10:45 AM   #610
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
Can we talk about Saru?

Because his "experience" was being a freed slave who only saw one ship his entire career, underneath the captain who rescued him from slavery (and coddled him quite a bit, as we saw), then he magically had a genetic transformation where he became less of a snivellus.
Now he's an uber experienced super captain?

Character development in discovery makes no sense.

Don't forget that his species is apparently delicious.

I still laugh at the end of Georgou or whatever her name is when the crew lamented and toasted her end by calling her an uncompromising bad ass. Yes they were toasting a genocidal cannibalistic backstabbing schemer.

There just very little logic in how they write the characters in this show, and yeah Saru is one of them.

Old 11-22-2021, 10:48 AM   #611
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post

I still laugh at the end of Georgou or whatever her name is when the crew lamented and toasted her end by calling her an uncompromising bad ass. Yes they were toasting a genocidal cannibalistic backstabbing schemer.

There just very little logic in how they write the characters in this show, and yeah Saru is one of them.
Is it cannibalism if it's a differnet species? Seems to me that's just "dinner".
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2021, 10:57 AM   #612
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I had mentally blocked out the "send off/ memorial" they held for emperor georgiou. Did anyone think any part of that through at all? For time travelling denizens of the future, the characters have remarkably little grasp on concepts like parallel universes and how that person is not the same AT ALL as the Phillipa Georgiou they once knew. I feel like the Georgiou was the only person who understood that, and by the end she somehow doubted it.
Old 11-22-2021, 10:58 AM   #613
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Is it cannibalism if it's a differnet species? Seems to me that's just "dinner".
I liken Saru to a giant "poppler" from futurama.
Old 11-22-2021, 01:18 PM   #614
craigwd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

Even the Admiral in charge of all things doesn't really do much, he gives a briefing and basically lets Michael do what she wants anyways.

And there was the whole part about him being thankful his kid was there. What was that about? Why not flesh this out in an episode or an earlier scene?
Is he estranged from his family? Do they not allow non military on the space station anymore? Who knows!

All we get is - You're doing great Mike, I'm going to send you here, here and there.
That being said - why does Starfleet even have any other ships? When then can blast Jesus to any sector in an instant when something needs to be done?

Last edited by craigwd; 11-22-2021 at 01:21 PM.
craigwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 01:57 PM   #615
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

That has made me laugh to that the Spore drive has become the cheap heat of getting Michael on every mission.

OMG there's some crisis in sector 10, how long for a nornal ship to get there. 2 days. Dum dum dum dah, spore drive.

What they need is a new sound that everytime Discovery goes to spore, you hear the screams of the lifeforms in the nextwork being murdered. Then they can rename the Spore drive the Federation murder drive.

Maybe instead of having all the shiny federation ships in one spot now that they have Dilithium they can I don't know, go on patrol?

Old 11-22-2021, 02:00 PM   #616
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

And now on the whole you got me thinking thing, the conversation with the president makes zero sense.

President - Yeah Mike we have this new ship with a new more amaaazing spore drive. We're not giving you command of it.

Mike - But why

President - Because you refuse to sacrifice the few for the many and you're reckless.

Thats fine, I'll just keep commanding this ship, you know the only other ship in the fleet that will have a spore drive.

What's the fracking difference. How about, yo Mikey because you're reckless and all that we not only can't have you in command of the new spore drive equip ship. But you can't stay in command of Discovery. You are now in command of the SS Slow poke, which is a warp 5 capable ship.

Old 11-23-2021, 12:11 PM   #617
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigwd View Post
[SPOILER]
What was awful was the scene where Michael suddenly decides to have a personal conversation ON OPEN COMM over whether the President was a politicking liar all while dodging some space crap, instead of say doing her job and waiting for a free moment.
What's more silly - that Burnham would ask that question on open comms - or that the President of the Federation would actually answer that question in the affirmative on open comms?

Last edited by I-Hate-Hulse; 11-23-2021 at 12:16 PM.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 01:27 PM   #618
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Interesting the president is half Cardassian.

Cardassians were usually the evil bad guys since they were introduced in TNG. The torture loving, Dominion inviting, occupying slavers will make it seem like the president cannot be trusted or has an alternative agenda for seasoned Star Trek fans.

I am also reminded of that Starfleet Liaison officer in a early DS9 epidose that turned out to be a Maquis leader telling Sisko that the Federation was only kowtowing to the Cardassians because they one day wanted them to join the Federation and that the Federation was worse than the Borg assimilating cultures. Well looks like eventually the Cardies did end up joining.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2021, 02:39 PM   #619
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
What's more silly - that Burnham would ask that question on open comms - or that the President of the Federation would actually answer that question in the affirmative on open comms?

Oh god, next season Michael will be named Federation President with Tilly as her VP.

You know they want to do it.

Old 11-23-2021, 02:40 PM   #620
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Interesting the president is half Cardassian.

Cardassians were usually the evil bad guys since they were introduced in TNG. The torture loving, Dominion inviting, occupying slavers will make it seem like the president cannot be trusted or has an alternative agenda for seasoned Star Trek fans.

I am also reminded of that Starfleet Liaison officer in a early DS9 epidose that turned out to be a Maquis leader telling Sisko that the Federation was only kowtowing to the Cardassians because they one day wanted them to join the Federation and that the Federation was worse than the Borg assimilating cultures. Well looks like eventually the Cardies did end up joining.

Good point on that, I knew she was part Cardassian but didn't think of it like that. I mean it was only a matter of time once a economically destroyed empire after the Dominion War got assimilated into the Federation.