Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2022, 11:03 PM   #1501
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gondek appears to be using this for political gain. Great.
Old 02-22-2022, 11:07 PM   #1502
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan2 View Post
Well, this is simply wrong. Most police dogs are solely trained to attack. They are a lot like giving a toddler a loaded shot gun. You ever watch video of k9 cops trying to stop a dog mid attack? They live to attack.
Your experience of Police Dogs is very different than mine. I grew up with a neighbour who was a K9 Cop.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 11:39 PM   #1503
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
Gondek appears to be using this for political gain. Great.
Wow. Her comments are ridiculous. "A pillar in his community?" Wow.

"We question why mental health support is not embedded within community policing. We question how to strengthen newcomer support services to deal with complex trauma"

You're the mayor!!!!!!@@@

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2022, 12:10 AM   #1504
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do these people not watch the videos?
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2022, 01:48 AM   #1505
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well I guess Gondek isnt going to be getting any votes from the CPS next election. Just absurd comments from her. Wow.
Old 02-23-2022, 02:10 AM   #1506
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Old 02-23-2022, 03:58 AM   #1507
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Do these people not watch the videos?
Nope. They read comments, take them as fact, then get outraged
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 04:28 AM   #1508
jmac98
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
Wow. Her comments are ridiculous. "A pillar in his community?" Wow.

"We question why mental health support is not embedded within community policing. We question how to strengthen newcomer support services to deal with complex trauma"

You're the mayor!!!!!!@@@
He’s lived here for 20 years but is still a newcomer.
jmac98 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jmac98 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2022, 06:33 AM   #1509
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicat View Post
Well I guess Gondek isnt going to be getting any votes from the CPS next election. Just absurd comments from her. Wow.
She's a loose cannon. I was never the biggest Nenshi guy but for those that disliked him and wanted out this is a case of be careful what you wish for.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2022, 07:03 AM   #1510
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am disappointed by Gondek. I thought we were getting a sober, moderate, results-based mayor. But she offers only the most simplistic and emotional takes on every issue she wades into. She seems too smart to actually believe the statements she makes, so I assume it’s all just pandering.

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 02-23-2022 at 07:11 AM.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2022, 07:46 AM   #1511
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
I am disappointed by Gondek. I thought we were getting a sober, moderate, results-based mayor. But she offers only the most simplistic and emotional takes on every issue she wades into. She seems too smart to actually believe the statements she makes, so I assume it’s all just pandering.
I'm not so sure she's as smart as you think she is and if she is as smart then she may be too emotional to abstain herself at times. The warning signs of her volatility were there in the campaign IMO. It's why I didn't vote for her.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2022, 08:01 AM   #1512
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Apparently, she didn't learn from her Drop In Center comments to think a bit more before she comments. Her inexperience is showing.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 08:05 AM   #1513
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Also this is an ongoing investigation. She should not be saying anything at all.

The Following User Says Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2022, 09:28 AM   #1514
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
I think her campaign win was mostly based on "biggest name who isn't Farkas" not based on Calgarians evaluating her and deciding she'd be the best mayor of the dozens of candidates.

I voted for Nenshi every time (and made posts supporting him from before his first campaign took off). But I don't think Calgary is as far left municipally as she thinks it is.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 09:36 AM   #1515
karl262
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I heard about this new service for first responders and their families on the radio a few weeks ago called "to serve and connect". It was started by a prison guard who's married to a cop.

I sincerely hope everyone and anyone needing support gets it. The people this service is meant for spend many hours peering into the abyss, I can only imagine what that must do over time.

Toserveandconnect.com
karl262 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to karl262 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2022, 09:47 AM   #1516
Krovikan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Does someone have a link to the statement she made, other than the one on Twitter? The one she put on Twitter (via three tweets) I thought was fair, without putting blame on cops, and instead just saying we need to ask tough questions about how we respond to mental health calls, all of which I think is something that is well known.

Do those questions change what happened here? Maybe, maybe not, but I personally think we ask our police officers to handle too much and wear to many hats.
Krovikan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Krovikan For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2022, 10:19 AM   #1517
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan2 View Post
Well, this is simply wrong. Most police dogs are solely trained to attack. They are a lot like giving a toddler a loaded shot gun. You ever watch video of k9 cops trying to stop a dog mid attack? They live to attack.

The dog was on leash and being pulled back when the man lunged forward to stab it in the neck with the knife. It looks like a police attack dog brought in as a deterrent.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 10:20 AM   #1518
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krovikan View Post
Does someone have a link to the statement she made, other than the one on Twitter? The one she put on Twitter (via three tweets) I thought was fair, without putting blame on cops, and instead just saying we need to ask tough questions about how we respond to mental health calls, all of which I think is something that is well known.

Do those questions change what happened here? Maybe, maybe not, but I personally think we ask our police officers to handle too much and wear to many hats.
In the herald before twitter

https://calgaryherald.com/news/local...ssion-advancer

Sure there are questions but she's the mayor, not us. She can budget more changes and get it through council.

Old 02-23-2022, 10:28 AM   #1519
Trojan97
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krovikan View Post

We are so far beyond "asking the question" on these issues.

Either implement tangible changes to these systems/processes and put your money where your mouth is to address some of these issues or accept the cold reality that these types of situations are going to occur from time to time with the way things are currently structured and focus on supporting a victims family/community & the officers involved as much as possible. Everytime something devastating happens in our community now people rush to social media to grandstand about how conversations need to be had and questions need to be asked. We have been having these conversations and asking these questions for years. How about we see a commitment to at least ATTEMPTING to begin addressing some of these issues. No more conversations, no more questions - do something.
Trojan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trojan97 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2022, 10:40 AM   #1520
Krovikan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan97 View Post
We are so far beyond "asking the question" on these issues.

Either implement tangible changes to these systems/processes and put your money where your mouth is to address some of these issues or accept the cold reality that these types of situations are going to occur from time to time with the way things are currently structured and focus on supporting a victims family/community & the officers involved as much as possible. Everytime something devastating happens in our community now people rush to social media to grandstand about how conversations need to be had and questions need to be asked. We have been having these conversations and asking these questions for years. How about we see a commitment to at least ATTEMPTING to begin addressing some of these issues. No more conversations, no more questions - do something.
100% agree, it's not unknown that we need mental health experts either working within the force or beside the force.

We sent police officers out without this option, and the situation escalated (not at their fault) and they were forced to kill someone, that is on our representative leaders.
Krovikan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Krovikan For This Useful Post: