Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Was the suspension length
Too leniant 6 1.15%
Just right 133 25.43%
Too severe 384 73.42%
Voters: 523. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 03:04 PM   #401
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Why do people continue to insist that Henderson's and Weber's collision is exactly the same as Wideman's incident with Henderson? There are dramatic differences in speed, direction, and context that cannot simply be ignored, and it is tiresome that some posters keep doing so in their defence of Wideman.

In the end, the Weber / Henderson hit appears most likely to be purely accidental—a collision between a player and an official that occurred at high speed. The Wideman / Henderson hit appears possibly accidental, but also very plausibly deliberate. The fact that it took place away from the play, at low speed, and with ample opportunity for avoidance produces a tremendous amount of uncertainty relative to the Weber / Henderson hit. They are simply not comparable.
For me the comparable is the reaction of being surprised. Whether it is Wideman, Weber, or the various accidental collisions in the NHL video all the players have the same motion. They all push forward with their arms. To me that is what I take out of that video.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Robbob For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2016, 03:05 PM   #402
StrykerSteve
Ass Handler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
One guy chasing the puck engaged in the play. The other sauntering to bench after getting hit and not getting the call then cross checking a ref?
Yeah, but add in the previous hit that Wideman took, and they become comparable, for me.

Doesn't matter though, he's suspended, we need to move on and start talking about who is replacing him and what impact it will have on the team.

It's game night!
Old 02-03-2016, 03:06 PM   #403
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

I feel this breaks down into a political suspension. The ref's union wanted blood and Wideman was the goat.

It is too severe but you add political pressure and it fits like a glove.

I still don't think much of it. Henderson was skating backwards into Wideman's path, Wideman was elsewhere in his mind and it happened.

I don't buy for one second Wideman had any ill intent in this situation.
Old 02-03-2016, 03:06 PM   #404
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
I think the Hansen one and the Muzzin one are better examples than the Webber one.
I would agree with that, and upon seeing the video, that one is really a bewildering set of events and consequences. The likely explanation is the extent to which Henderson was injured or endangered by Wideman's hit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Old 02-03-2016, 03:15 PM   #405
flamesfan6
First Line Centre

Exp:

nvm
Old 02-03-2016, 03:20 PM   #406
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Displaced Flames fan View Post
If it was an accident he would've shown some concern for Henderson. Absolutely agree with the decision. Won't demonize Wideman for one momentary lapse of judgment, it shouldn't define him, but he deserves the suspension and the officials deserve a workplace free of the threat of violence, like all of us do.
How should he show concern? I understand that Wideman apologized to the official during and after the game.
Old 02-03-2016, 03:22 PM   #407
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Looks like Flames got permission to make Wideman non-roster

Pat Steinberg @Fan960Steinberg
According to the #Flames website, Ferland activated off IR. Also, now Wideman not listed on the roster.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2016, 03:22 PM   #408
tremorchrist
Backup Goalie

Exp:

In no way am I suggesting the two incidents are comparable, but would just love
an explanation as to why, what Kassian does here, is not considered physical "abuse of an official"...he clearly and purposely shoves him. Not so much as a single game suspension, or even a hearing, for that matter, in the name of "zero tolerance"?

http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0SO8...crkiMvWLawaDI-
Old 02-03-2016, 03:22 PM   #409
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I would agree with that, and upon seeing the video, that one is really a bewildering set of events and consequences. The likely explanation is the extent to which Henderson was injured or endangered by Wideman's hit.
The Hansen crosscheck?
Old 02-03-2016, 03:24 PM   #410
StrykerSteve
Ass Handler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tremorchrist View Post
In no way am I suggesting the two incidents are comparable, but would just love
an explanation as to why, what Kassian does here, is not considered physical "abuse of an official"...he clearly and purposely shoves him. Not so much as a single game suspension, or even a hearing, for that matter, in the name of "zero tolerance"?

http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0SO8...crkiMvWLawaDI-
Man, that video player is something awful.
The Following User Says Thank You to StrykerSteve For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2016, 03:26 PM   #411
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Where is the suspension to Lucic for punching a linesman in the face? That's what I want to know.

Social media made this suspension, plain and simple.

While at the bank a few minutes ago, I overheard the teller talking to a customer beside me, and they literally said, 'I don't watch hockey, but I saw the video, and I think he should be suspended for at least that long'. That's who the NHL decided to appease with this ruling, people who use twitter but don't watch hockey.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mikephoen For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2016, 03:26 PM   #412
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Calgary Flames @NHLFlames
Calgary roster update: #Flames granted non-roster status for Dennis Wideman. Micheal Ferland has been activated from the injured reserve.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2016, 03:26 PM   #413
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
The Hansen crosscheck?
Yeah. That one.

It looks similar, but there is at one angle a clear indication that Hansen's attention is elsewhere when he pushes the official: I expect that this is how it was understood in the moment. To be clear again, we are dealing with only things that we can see, and there is nothing obvious from the Wideman incident on the face of it to suggest that his attention similarly lay elsewhere. It may have been, but we simply can't know one way or the other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Old 02-03-2016, 03:27 PM   #414
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No. It does not have to have been premeditated to have been intentional. It could have been a reactionary response borne of an instance of frustration. It is still a deliberate action to hit an unsuspecting recipient from behind, but not one that was formulated and planned beforehand.
This. Player is half-stunned. Player lashes out dangerously in frustration. No premeditation. No intent to injure. Still a gross violation of the rules and something the league is going to come down on like a sledgehammer.
Old 02-03-2016, 03:27 PM   #415
taxbuster
First Line Centre

Exp:

The NHL got it wrong again as usual - for all of the right reasons: they had to appease the NHLOA and the public (suspect mostly the "American public") who wanted blood. So they gave them blood - for all of the wrong reasons: they failed to consider in any way (at least judging by the result) that Wideman could have been seriously groggy and had little idea what he was actually doing.

Whether he did or not is not the issue - but it raises a reasonable doubt that the hit was intentional or planned in any way. If they'd been smart, they would have given him 10 games with an explanation of how they got there:
"We considered 20, but there was a consideration that he was out of it at the time - nonetheless, his conduct is culpable and he is still responsible." Done - gets the message out to the NHLOA and the public, and is seen to do justice in a responsible and thoughtful manner.

He should appeal to both Bettman and an arbitrator - $500K is a lot of cheese to give up without a fight and is out of all proportion to the incident that took place.

Just my 2 cents worth (I don't make $6M a year....)
Old 02-03-2016, 03:28 PM   #416
tremorchrist
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrykerSteve View Post
Man, that video player is something awful.
Oh that makes sense now. Thx for the explanation.
Old 02-03-2016, 03:29 PM   #417
StrykerSteve
Ass Handler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tremorchrist View Post
Oh that makes sense now. Thx for the explanation.
I literally couldn't see what was happening, it was a slideshow. Sorry.
Old 02-03-2016, 03:31 PM   #418
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah. That one.

It looks similar, but there is at one angle a clear indication that Hansen's attention is elsewhere when he pushes the official: I expect that this is how it was understood in the moment. To be clear again, we are dealing with only things that we can see, and there is nothing obvious from the Wideman incident on the face of it to suggest that his attention similarly lay elsewhere. It may have been, but we simply can't know one way or the other.
Yeah, I'm really not sure how it was no fine or minimal suspension.

If you crack down on Wideman you really should be dealing with a situation like Hansen's better.
Old 02-03-2016, 03:33 PM   #419
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

I'm convinced this was all an elaborate scheme to get rid of Wideman without trading/waivers.
Old 02-03-2016, 03:33 PM   #420
tremorchrist
Backup Goalie

Exp:

That link doesn't work for anybody? When I click on it it works fine for me and plays the video of the the incident I referenced, in good quality. Does anybody know what incident I'm talking about and can provide a better link?
Closed Thread