Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2024, 09:48 AM   #14801
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Yeah I suppose I have gotten to my curmudgeon phase of my career where I’m not trying to advance anymore. More junior people might be seen as threats.
That makes you the perfect person to actually make change. If you're senior enough that your work is required but not looking to advance then you're both obviously useful but not a threat.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2024, 09:51 AM   #14802
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
This is pretty naive. My immediate manager recently asked our team to start attending the weekly standup of a larger team we’re linked with. She wants us to speak up about our recent accomplishments and explain how we’re representing the values of the company.

No doubt most people in those standups feel they’re a waste of time. But I’m not going to be the one to put myself in the crosshairs by effectively calling out my manager and her boss. This is a company where the CEO quizzes random employees at town halls to test if they were paying attention to the data presented in powerpoint presentations.
Did you have the conversation with your immediate manager that this will add no value and that it would be better if you just reported to her your accomplishments and she can feed that info forward.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2024, 09:53 AM   #14803
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
Reddit is 98% idiots or future idiots.

A minor tie in, there's a guy who's lived around the corner from me for the past two years with BC plates. Obviously he's maintaining a BC address for his registration while living in Calgary well beyond the three month window before needing to register here. I'd bet his insurance doesn't know of his current residence either.

If they were in an accident here and were found out to be living here would their BC insurance be invalid?
Reddit is full of people who have no idea what they are talking about. Professional internet users.
TheIronMaiden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2024, 09:54 AM   #14804
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
This is pretty naive. My immediate manager recently asked our team to start attending the weekly standup of a larger team we’re linked with. She wants us to speak up about our recent accomplishments and explain how we’re representing the values of the company.

No doubt most people in those standups feel they’re a waste of time. But I’m not going to be the one to put myself in the crosshairs by effectively calling out my manager and her boss. This is a company where the CEO quizzes random employees at town halls to test if they were paying attention to the data presented in powerpoint presentations.
Yeesh. Sounds awful. That would be the first and last townhall I’d attend.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2024, 09:57 AM   #14805
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Huh, that sounds fun.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2024, 09:59 AM   #14806
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Yeesh. Sounds awful. That would be the first and last townhall I’d attend.
You'd probably be the employee who got quizzed about the powerpoint presentation, and failed the question miserably. Of course it would be the last townhall you'd attend: you'd be fired.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2024, 10:02 AM   #14807
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

To chime on the WFH angle. I was at Suncor for over a decade and worked downtown Calgary for the majority of that time. I didn't really realize it but the time I spent commuting, walking to the bathroom, going for coffee etc, was so unproductive and costly.

So when we started working from home (covid) it was a game changer for me. No time or money spent on commuting, no random coffee breaks with someone even though I just had a coffee. And then theres the work life balance. Throw a load of laundry in, have the slow cooker going, see my kid go to school and come home from school. It was amazing.

Then ol Rich Krueger came in as CEO, started letting people go, implemented a hybrid schedule (minimum 3 days a week in the office) and just right back to that old school business model. As soon as he announced the hybrid, I knew it was a matter of time before it was just 100% back to the office. I also knew that was no longer for me.

So while my co-workers and even my boss silently complained, actively did less work, and just generally accepted their misery; I decided it was time to look elsewhere.

Took a little while but got a job outside of O&G that is 90% WFH, and 10% travel to various site locations. Felt like winning the lottery. I've had more than a few Suncor colleagues reach out asking if my current company is hiring etc.

I know WFH may not be for everyone, but I didn't even know that was a thing until covid, and now I just cant see me ever going back to an office setting.

Point is, once you know what works for you just do that. You dont owe any company or employer anything, they have no loyalty to you whatsoever, you are employee # 498626 and thats it.

Now if you're self-employed, thats a different ball game I'm sure.
8sPOT is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 8sPOT For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2024, 10:03 AM   #14808
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
Maybe? I don't do insurance work. But i know enough to know what no fault is!
I feel your pain, whenever I see false information/bad advice on Facebook/Reddit regarding insurance it takes a lot to just ignore it and forget I saw it. Even though I don't work directly in insurance I just want people to properly understand insurance to try and remove some of the hate. If people took a little time to learn what they are paying for and how it works they would have an overall much better experience when it comes time to use it or justify costs.

If anyone wonders why Auto insurance is so expensive just spending one day with an Injury adjuster and you will completely understand and at the same time hate society even more. Then do the same with a regular adjuster in Auto and see the costs related to even the most minor of accidents. You buy a $80,000 vehicle and pay $2000/year in insurance, thats 40 years to pay for a single accident, sadly thats where those with no accidents might see a little lower payments but they are needed to cover the losses like above.

In a perfect world I'm a good driver and I will never be at fault for an accident why do I need to pay insurance for everyone else, but all it would take is one accident even very minor, you think there was no damage but the car full of 5 people all claim injuries and now you are on the hook for a minimum of $100,000.00 can you come up with that?

Then there are brokers just trying to sell as much as they can and not educating their clients what they are paying for, they just want "The cheapest". All of these things together plus the need for companies to pay employees and in the case of some companies report to shareholders you can easily see why there is so much hate for insurance,

TLDR; People are too fragile to be in a vehicle apparently, cost everyone more money than you can imagine, and its only going to get worse without major injury claim regulations.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2024, 10:21 AM   #14809
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Did you have the conversation with your immediate manager that this will add no value and that it would be better if you just reported to her your accomplishments and she can feed that info forward.
I’ve said I won’t be attending if I’m up against a deadline. But if I routinely opt out of something my manager feels is important and everyone else on my team is obligated to do, it won’t be a great look. I guess you have a very different experience of corporate norms. Because in my experience “I’m not doing the thing everyone else has to do because I’m special” does not go over well.
CliffFletcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2024, 10:25 AM   #14810
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

Corporate culture is the worst

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to surferguy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2024, 10:44 AM   #14811
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
I’ve said I won’t be attending if I’m up against a deadline. But if I routinely opt out of something my manager feels is important and everyone else on my team is obligated to do, it won’t be a great look. I guess you have a very different experience of corporate norms. Because in my experience “I’m not doing the thing everyone else has to do because I’m special” does not go over well.
“Because I’m special”. “Real world”. Holy ####, more like useless.

Stand up for yourself. And certainly don’t suggest ##### footing around to everyone else who doesn’t want to tolerate complete bull#### at work.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2024, 11:02 AM   #14812
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

WFH has been a mixed blessing for me. My employer is not a believer in WFH so for the majority of us and the majority of the time we're in the office. There is benefit to that as I feel it's easier to collaborate with coworkers when we're together. Also super simple to just stop by someone's office and have a quick discussion on whatever is on your mind. That does but both ways though as there can be more distractions too. But my group is all set up for WFH as we are excepted to be available 24/7 when on call and logging into our network is just as easy form home as from the office. I can do the technical part of my job from literally anywhere and when I'm sick, or have stuff on the go at home it's simple just to bail on the office that day and stay home.

For me the biggest downside to WFH is onboarding new employees and in particular training new workers. There is a very limited supply of experienced workers in my field, we cannot just go hire someone off the street or poach from a competitor. Training someone remotely is a major PITA and not at all efficient or effective.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2024, 12:57 PM   #14813
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8sPOT View Post
To chime on the WFH angle. I was at Suncor for over a decade and worked downtown Calgary for the majority of that time. I didn't really realize it but the time I spent commuting, walking to the bathroom, going for coffee etc, was so unproductive and costly.

So when we started working from home (covid) it was a game changer for me. No time or money spent on commuting, no random coffee breaks with someone even though I just had a coffee. And then theres the work life balance. Throw a load of laundry in, have the slow cooker going, see my kid go to school and come home from school. It was amazing.

Then ol Rich Krueger came in as CEO, started letting people go, implemented a hybrid schedule (minimum 3 days a week in the office) and just right back to that old school business model. As soon as he announced the hybrid, I knew it was a matter of time before it was just 100% back to the office. I also knew that was no longer for me.

So while my co-workers and even my boss silently complained, actively did less work, and just generally accepted their misery; I decided it was time to look elsewhere.

Took a little while but got a job outside of O&G that is 90% WFH, and 10% travel to various site locations. Felt like winning the lottery. I've had more than a few Suncor colleagues reach out asking if my current company is hiring etc.

I know WFH may not be for everyone, but I didn't even know that was a thing until covid, and now I just cant see me ever going back to an office setting.

Point is, once you know what works for you just do that. You dont owe any company or employer anything, they have no loyalty to you whatsoever, you are employee # 498626 and thats it.

Now if you're self-employed, thats a different ball game I'm sure.
It amazes me the lengths people will go to and the discomfort/sacrifice of values people will endure for a corporate entity that sees them as nothing more than a satistic.

It's scary to draw a line and make a change for you but if you put in the effort, there is no shortage of other opportunities and one will always present itself in time.

Nothing like seeing friends lose their souls thinking they're stuck at a place because the security of familiarity even when familiarity is terrible outweighs the risks of taking action in their mind.

You get one life, and its going.. do it on your terms.
TrentCrimmIndependent is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TrentCrimmIndependent For This Useful Post: