Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Was the suspension length
Too leniant 6 1.15%
Just right 133 25.43%
Too severe 384 73.42%
Voters: 523. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 12:33 PM   #201
JetsFlamesFan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Good. The league just did the Flames a huge favour.
Old 02-03-2016, 12:33 PM   #202
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Talk of social media and officials' unions is a red herring. It comes down to this:

The NHL felt Wideman intentionally hit a referee from behind. You can disagree, but that's what they concluded from their investigation. And a 20 game suspension is not at all out of line for hitting a referee from behind.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2016, 12:33 PM   #203
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cznTiburon View Post
Because the inconsistency the NHL has with all suspendible actions is infuriating. This is not 14 games worse than what carcillo did. Is it a suspension, Yes it is but 20 games? It is just ridiculous how the league has handled it because of the media
The NHL has been consistently inconsistent with suspensions so I would hope by now fans are past being infuriated as it seems like such a waste of energy to be outraged about something that you know was coming and was out of your control. I don't think it's ridiculous at all as it was a dumb and potentially dangerous play by Wideman. As I have said before the only issue I have is that it came after a big hit and if you really wanted to take it to legal avenues a case can be made that it can't be known if he was truly of sane mind when he committed it. That said the NHL is within it's rights to suspend him for his actions regardless.
Old 02-03-2016, 12:34 PM   #204
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Meh, it's higher than I would've thought, but I kind of wanted the guy out of the lineup anyway so we could give a guy like Nakladal a look-see.
Old 02-03-2016, 12:34 PM   #205
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

So Campbell viewed the hit as a category I offence for abuse of official. Based on that interpretation, 20 games is the appropriate number.

I'm surprised it is that high, but I find it a bit difficult to be outraged by it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2016, 12:35 PM   #206
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Carcillo hit an official with his stick, got 10 games and appealed it down to 6

hard to believe the PA won't knock some games off this one
Carcillo was being manhandled by a much bigger ref and was simply trying to get loose. He paid the price. What Wideman did was worse. The fact people are defending him kind of shocks me. He two handed a ref in the back/neck and the whole hockey world didn't see it as an accident except some Flame fans.
Old 02-03-2016, 12:35 PM   #207
MacFlame
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
It isn't just about the version of events that I don't believe. Yes I could argue both hands were on his stick and if he only had one, then the ref only gets a push with gloves. Or maybe that he's been hit 1000x and wouldn't get upset by being hit. Or that he outstretches his arms the way someone falling/losing balance would, not the way someone throwing a crosscheck would.

The big thing for me is that in my 30 years of watching the NHL, I have never, ever, ever heard of a player EVER intentionally skating over to a linesman and crosschecking him in the back. No player in NHL recent NHL history has attacked a linesman intentionally. Even ones like Carcillo were more about being belligerent and ignoring refs commands. It doesn't happen.

Which is why I'd understand if Wideman did attack the ref, the NHL would want a long suspension. What I don't understand is how they think that he did attack the ref. There is enough doubt that the only way I buy this suspension is a) the optics b) they don't want to be embarrassed by an officials work to rule campaign (hey, one victim in Wideman is better than league wide anarchy and bad press) or c) if they knew he'd appeal and this makes sure he gets the suspension they originally wanted without suffering the embarrassment of a) and b).
I get your opinion...but I just don't see the incident the same. (which is why we'll never agree on it) When I watch the tape and his reaction immediately after the event, I just don't see an accident at all.

I've been there during hockey games where I lose my cool and I certainly remember taking it out on another player when I shouldn't have. I get your opinion that it doesn't seem logical that he would take it out on a ref, but I believe he did, based on the incident as well as his reaction immediately after. He was pissed off.

It was a split second decision that I'm sure he wishes he could take back. I just don't see this as an accident.
Old 02-03-2016, 12:35 PM   #208
Robo
Franchise Player

Exp:

Its high but i think we are a better team without wideman in the lineup so im ok with this
Old 02-03-2016, 12:35 PM   #209
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigwd View Post
He was right beside the bench door.
A good person would have helped Henderson up to his feet and then went to the bench. It would have taken 2 seconds and would not have embarrassed himself. I would have a better impression of the situation.
The player coming on for him was already on the ice, meaning that Wideman has to get off quickly to avoid a too many men call.

In fact, Wideman treats it exactly like he believed the whole thing was an accidental collision at the time. I think he's more likely to stop and check if it was somehow intentional.

Like I've said, EVERY PIECE of evidence, other then the video, suggests that the whole thing was completely accidental. Wideman's reaction to the whole thing is most key. Wideman would have acted differently had the true story been anything other than he explained it immediately after the game last Wednesday.
Old 02-03-2016, 12:35 PM   #210
Flamenfame
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

20 games is well deserved every player in the league knows you don't touch the zebras dazed or not. Surprized he did not get more so he is lucky he got off that easy.
Old 02-03-2016, 12:36 PM   #211
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting Banana Slug View Post
We need an Around the League report to see what other fans are spewing.
Nah, I'm good. I don't really need to hear about how other fans think the NHL let Wideman off with a slap on the wrist.
Old 02-03-2016, 12:36 PM   #212
MacFlame
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
It was a 2-1 game where the Flames hit the crossbar in the dying seconds
They were being outplayed. Come on....
Old 02-03-2016, 12:36 PM   #213
Grimbl420
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I really want everyone that thinks he was clear headed to walk to the nearest wall and smash their face into it as hard as they can, and report back here on how long it took for all their senses to come back. You all clearly have no idea of what a blow to the head like Wideman took can do to you or the symptoms involved.
The Following User Says Thank You to Grimbl420 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2016, 12:37 PM   #214
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun View Post
Make whatever logical arguments you want and I'll respect them. Accusing everyone not on your side of being blind homers is pure simple-minded idiocy and should automatically disqualify you from all further discussions.
> 90 per cent of fans and hockey watchers outside Calgary think Wideman's hit was intentional. Please give me some rational explanation why that figure would be any different for Calgary fans if Wideman was playing for the Hurricanes.
Old 02-03-2016, 12:37 PM   #215
cznTiburon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
The NHL has been consistently inconsistent with suspensions so I would hope by now fans are past being infuriated as it seems like such a waste of energy to be outraged about something that you know was coming and was out of your control. I don't think it's ridiculous at all as it was a dumb and potentially dangerous play by Wideman. As I have said before the only issue I have is that it came after a big hit and if you really wanted to take it to legal avenues a case can be made that it can't be known if he was truly of sane mind when he committed it. That said the NHL is within it's rights to suspend him for his actions regardless.
Oh i agree that the league has been consistently inconsistent and we can't do anything real to stop it, but why participate in a fan forum if we can't discuss why thing piss us off? I also agree that it is a suspendible play, but its just frustrating to see 20 games when there is a question over intention when something (carcillo) was not as vicious looking but 100% intentional is only 6 games. My thoughts are this should be 10 games.
Old 02-03-2016, 12:37 PM   #216
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
Carcillo was being manhandled by a much bigger ref and was simply trying to get loose. He paid the price. What Wideman did was worse. The fact people are defending him kind of shocks me. He two handed a ref in the back/neck and the whole hockey world didn't see it as an accident except some Flame fans.
WRONG

many respected analysts saw it as reactionary
The Following User Says Thank You to dino7c For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2016, 12:37 PM   #217
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacFlame View Post
Still not a good time to risk 5 and a game, if you are of the belief that Wideman did it totally on purpose. It would make him essentially the stupidest player of all time.
Old 02-03-2016, 12:38 PM   #218
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm okay with the suspension, but it's longer than what I would have given.
Old 02-03-2016, 12:39 PM   #219
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacFlame View Post
losing by one goal is not being beat "handily"

and the Flames have lost plenty of games and not attacked the linesman, it was a stupid point
Old 02-03-2016, 12:39 PM   #220
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
This one looks awful at one angle, and completely different at another.
So...exactly the same as Wideman?
Closed Thread