Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Was the suspension length
Too leniant 6 1.15%
Just right 133 25.43%
Too severe 384 73.42%
Voters: 523. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 12:39 PM   #221
burnitdown
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
Like I've said, EVERY PIECE of evidence, other then the video, suggests that the whole thing was completely accidental.
I had to laugh reading this. All I pictured was someone in court saying "I swear I didn't do it. If you ignore the surveillance footage of me committing the crime and just listened to my circumstantial case, it's clear I'm innocent!".
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to burnitdown For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2016, 12:40 PM   #222
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimbl420 View Post
I really want everyone that thinks he was clear headed to walk to the nearest wall and smash their face into it as hard as they can, and report back here on how long it took for all their senses to come back. You all clearly have no idea of what a blow to the head like Wideman took can do to you or the symptoms involved.
So the next time Taylor Hall crashes into the boards and comes up dazed, then gets up and cross-checks Monahan in the head, you'll be like, dude was dazed - what are you gonna do?
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2016, 12:40 PM   #223
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
Like I've said, EVERY PIECE of evidence, other then the video, suggests that the whole thing was completely accidental. Wideman's reaction to the whole thing is most key. Wideman would have acted differently had the true story been anything other than he explained it immediately after the game last Wednesday.
So every piece of evidence.....except the actual video proof of the act is what you're basing it on?

Wideman didn't immediately stop, horrified of what he realized he did, to try and help the linesman out. He carried on his merry way, and sat down and bowed his head. They (NHL) don't care that he went an apologized later on in the game or that he had a good story after the game. Fact is he skated at an official, raised his arms, checked him, and moseyed on to the bench like he had just completed a normal check.

Was expecting 10, but 20 is in the realm. They're untouchable for a reason.
Old 02-03-2016, 12:41 PM   #224
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd prefer if it was enough games so he wouldn't play until the deadline so then maybe any team that's interested in him could still make a move for him. I really don't care if he plays for the Flames or not.

Can he still be traded while he's suspended? Does the team get any kind of "cap relief" because of his suspension? Does he come back right after the deadline because then a team could still make a move for him if they were interested...pretty much wondering if there is still a chance for him to be traded this year?
Old 02-03-2016, 12:41 PM   #225
burnitdown
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimbl420 View Post
I really want everyone that thinks he was clear headed to walk to the nearest wall and smash their face into it as hard as they can, and report back here on how long it took for all their senses to come back. You all clearly have no idea of what a blow to the head like Wideman took can do to you or the symptoms involved.
If I do that then commit a bunch of crimes on my way back to my computer, will I get immunity?
Old 02-03-2016, 12:41 PM   #226
IamNotKenKing
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Talk of social media and officials' unions is a red herring. It comes down to this:

The NHL felt Wideman intentionally hit a referee from behind. You can disagree, but that's what they concluded from their investigation. And a 20 game suspension is not at all out of line for hitting a referee from behind.
I disagree. I think the NHL felt Wideman deliberately hit a referee with intent to injure, and I don't see how they can feel that.

Last edited by IamNotKenKing; 02-03-2016 at 12:53 PM.
Old 02-03-2016, 12:42 PM   #227
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Please don't use Crosscheckgate, the proper term is Widemanghazi.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2016, 12:42 PM   #228
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Flames traded Rene Bourque to the Habs while he was suspended.

There is no cap relief for suspended players.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2016, 12:43 PM   #229
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Funny this matches the Lysack suspension when he tripped a linesman back in 1983.

the only thing that bothers me is that this is the same length of suspension that Todd Bertuzzi got for nearly killing a guy after a malicious and intentional attack after being warned by the NHL about retribution.

To me its probably the right call and punishment because it doesn't match up with the other suspensions that we've seen because its actions against a non player.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2016, 12:43 PM   #230
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wideman=Bertuzzi

I think that is the issue

One guy broke a guys neck and ended his career with a premeditated act on purpose

One guy sent a linesman to the hospital for "tests" on a play that was at the very least debatable and happened in a split second
Old 02-03-2016, 12:43 PM   #231
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
So every piece of evidence.....except the actual video proof of the act is what you're basing it on?

Wideman didn't immediately stop, horrified of what he realized he did, to try and help the linesman out. He carried on his merry way, and sat down and bowed his head. They (NHL) don't care that he went an apologized later on in the game or that he had a good story after the game. Fact is he skated at an official, raised his arms, checked him, and moseyed on to the bench like he had just completed a normal check.

Was expecting 10, but 20 is in the realm. They're untouchable for a reason.
If this is what points to his guilt then how come in all the video's of refs being accidentally hit none of the players stop and offer to help the ref they just ran over?
Old 02-03-2016, 12:43 PM   #232
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wideman=Bertuzzi

I think that is the issue

One guy broke a guys neck and ended his career with a premeditated act on purpose

One guy sent a linesman to the hospital for "tests" on a play that was at the very least debatable and happened in a split second
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dino7c For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2016, 12:44 PM   #233
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post
I think this is a horrible decision by the officials in a clearly unfortunate accident with a patently non-violent, compliant and respectful player. The message they are sending is... I can't even phrase their message, really. What would that be?
  • We don't care if it was accidental;
  • We don't care if an official was at a wrong place at a wrong time (high collision area during change);
  • We don't care if there were ANY mitigating circumstances occurring at the game immediately prior to the collision (huge hit on a player);
  • We don't care if there was no history of prior carelessness.
  • YOU SHALT PAY!
The NHL obviously does not agree that this was an unfortunate accident, or that this was a simple collision between a player and an official who was in the wrong place at the wrong time. From the decision, we should safely conclude that they do not deem this an incident of Wideman's recklessness.

I get that people are upset, and I understand that there are still people who are convinced this was nothing more than an unfortunate accident. But people are pretending that the NHL made an incredulous decision here in clear contradiction of the evidence. This is quite simply not true. The hearing was over 90 mins in length, in which the league heard and carefully examined multiple sides of what happened. They listened to multiple testimonies regarding the incident, and quite obviously have determined from all of this—to which none of us is privy—that Wideman's actions constitute deliberate behaviour.

Yes, it is your prerogative to disagree, but can we please stop ignoring the fact that the League's interpretation of the event is an entirely reasonable one—especially given their access to evidence and testimony that none of the rest of us has seen or heard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2016, 12:46 PM   #234
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgiTang View Post
What a clown..

Does anyone else think that this was aimed to hurt the Flames also due to their mis-handling on the bench of not sending Wide's to the quiet room?

It hurts the team by not being able to trade him since the suspension goes beyond the deadline?
Dennis Wideman's contract and level of play this season hurt the team's ability to trade him more than anything.
Old 02-03-2016, 12:46 PM   #235
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

John Shannon @JSportsnet
NHLPA and Wideman still deciding on appeal. Expect a decision later today.
Old 02-03-2016, 12:46 PM   #236
Fan in Exile
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The arguments went on ad infinitum before the suspension already with theories as to why this was an accident. Wideman gave his explanation and obviously it was not accepted as credible. This is not a shocking result for most people or most fans of hockey.

It is exactly what it looked like. Not a great injustice. I think the NHL safety committee sleeps quite well tonight.
Old 02-03-2016, 12:46 PM   #237
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnitdown View Post
I had to laugh reading this. All I pictured was someone in court saying "I swear I didn't do it. If you ignore the surveillance footage of me committing the crime and just listened to my circumstantial case, it's clear I'm innocent!".
Except Wideman never denied doing anything, he just denied it being intentional.

And that's what the entire rule is about. Whether or not the actions of the player were deliberate.

The league must have determined that his actions were deliberate.

I disagree with their assessment.
Old 02-03-2016, 12:47 PM   #238
MRCboicgy
Referee

Exp:

Double what I thought he'd get. Wow.
Old 02-03-2016, 12:49 PM   #239
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

The league has to send a message that it's protecting it's officials. I think they got it right.
Old 02-03-2016, 12:49 PM   #240
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Can we decline the 20 game suspension and propose a lifetime suspension from the Flames instead?
Closed Thread