Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2018, 10:03 AM   #2121
RogerWilco
First Line Centre

Exp:

Does Black Mirror get better, everyone seems to be raving about it. I watched the first 2 episodes of season 1 and it has to be some of the dumbest TV I have seen. Do the storeys get better, or did everyone that is touting it enjoy the first two episodes and it's maybe just not a show for me?
RogerWilco is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RogerWilco For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2018, 10:11 AM   #2122
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kybosh View Post
I'm 7 episodes into Dark and it's very compelling. I'm having a helluva time keeping the characters straight however!
You watching the dubbed or subtitled version? It's a show that requires repeated watching as there's just so much going on and so many little details that even the most attentive viewers will miss some things the first watch through. I have to admit after watching this other shows like even Black Mirror just seem like a cut below as it's just so well done.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 10:24 AM   #2123
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerWilco View Post
Does Black Mirror get better, everyone seems to be raving about it. I watched the first 2 episodes of season 1 and it has to be some of the dumbest TV I have seen. Do the storeys get better, or did everyone that is touting it enjoy the first two episodes and it's maybe just not a show for me?
The S1E1 is a bit rough. S1E2 is not a strong episode episode. Give S1E3 (The Entire History of You) a watch. It's quintessential Black Mirror. If you still don't like it, then Black Mirror is not a show for you.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 10:29 AM   #2124
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
You watching the dubbed or subtitled version? It's a show that requires repeated watching as there's just so much going on and so many little details that even the most attentive viewers will miss some things the first watch through. I have to admit after watching this other shows like even Black Mirror just seem like a cut below as it's just so well done.
I prefer subtitles for any non-English show, so I'm pretty much forced to pay attention. Following the relationships is the hardest part so far but it's super interesting.
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 10:31 AM   #2125
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I started watching the dubbed version but the voices were so flat and didn't reflect the characters. Switching to subtitles was much better.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 10:48 AM   #2126
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
If Netflix is a primary concern then a Windows or Linux based box are not recommended. The Netflix app for Windows 10 is designed for tablets and is not navigable with a remote, and there is no native app for Linux so you're left with using Netflix in a browser (no 5.1 or 4K support)

If you want something better than a Roku then I'd recommend the Nvidia Shield. Powerful enough to stream anything you want, comes with Android TV so you get the proper TV versions of all the apps, and you can use it as a gaming device as a bonus
Do people actually regularly watch in 4K? I've got bandwith caps, so other than trying it once, I never use 4k.

All remotes suck. Mini keyboards all the way. It makes searching, and pretty everything, so much easier.
pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 10:52 AM   #2127
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Everest isn’t all that tough of a climb as long as weather remains good (relatively speaking). There are much much more difficult mountains to climb, K2 for example.
Yes, yes and the Greeks believed their Gods lived at the top of a very climbable hill.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 10:55 AM   #2128
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
I wasn't really a big fan of "Hang of the DJ" as others were. It didn't hit the right level of dystopian for me. The chemistry and likeability of the leads made it an easy watch, but not very satisfying if that makes sense.
I don't think every single Black Mirror episode should end on a depressing dystopian note. if it was always a sad ending, then I would just spend the entire episode looking for the twist that is going to screw over the protagonist. they already lose most of the time, I don't need to see them lose 100% of the time.

Spoiler!
Inglewood Jack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 12:45 PM   #2129
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I started watching the dubbed version but the voices were so flat and didn't reflect the characters. Switching to subtitles was much better.
Yeah the subtitles are much better. Plus there's something about the German language that conveys anger more powerfully than English.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 12:48 PM   #2130
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah the subtitles are much better. Plus there's something about the German language that conveys anger more powerfully than English.
It doesn't matter what they are saying, it all sounds angry. They could be cooing at a kitty and it still sounds like you should be hiding in a bunker. My wife is learning German and talks at our cat, so I know this to be true.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 12:21 PM   #2131
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

So started 2 new series that have come highly acclaimed and recommended: Black Mirror and Wormwood.

Black Mirror - I've just finished watching S1E3. Frankly, I'm surprised so many people had been drawn in enough by the content at that point that they were excited enough to carry forward. The show had been described to me as a "X-Files, Twighlight Zone, futuristic and twisty mind-F". It has been none of those things so far. Just 3 separate, moderately interesting stories. The production is absolutely top notch. However, each episode seems like it falls well short of its potential.

I'm probably going to check out the next season (and give it a proper chance) to see if I can get into it, but as of right now I don't understand how people like, let alone even love, this series.

Wormwood - Not quite what I expected. It mixes real interviews of a real story with a well produced recreation of that story over about 25 years. The foundational mystery is what has been keeping me interested (2 episodes in), but some of the other stuff has been stuff I'm just putting up with. The erratic shots and editing depicting the characters' state of mind, and the talk of psychology and methods have been boring and confusing.

Of course, at only 2 of 6 episodes it could all come together in the end. Right now, though, it is just distracting from the intriguing mystery aspect at the base of the show.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran

Last edited by Yamer; 01-11-2018 at 12:24 PM.
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 12:51 PM   #2132
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
Black Mirror - I've just finished watching S1E3. Frankly, I'm surprised so many people had been drawn in enough by the content at that point that they were excited enough to carry forward. The show had been described to me as a "X-Files, Twighlight Zone, futuristic and twisty mind-F". It has been none of those things so far. Just 3 separate, moderately interesting stories. The production is absolutely top notch. However, each episode seems like it falls well short of its potential.
My understanding, not having watched the show yet, is that seasons 1 and 2 were produced by some other entity prior to the show being picked up on Netflix. Season 3 and 4 were produced by the new regime (not sure if it was Netflix itself), and are of a different quality altogether.

When I do get around to it I'll probably just skip the first two seasons unless someone tells me I shouldn't.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2018, 12:52 PM   #2133
Jiggy_12
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^ I think a lot of people (myself included) actually started with season 3, as there was a time period (a month or so maybe?) in which that was all Netflix had loaded for content. They actually added seasons 1 and 2 after the fact.

If you started with S3, it would hook you.

I agree S1 was the weakest, "The Entire History of You" aside.
Jiggy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiggy_12 For This Useful Post:
#-3
Old 01-11-2018, 12:54 PM   #2134
Jiggy_12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
My understanding, not having watched the show yet, is that seasons 1 and 2 were produced by some other entity prior to the show being picked up on Netflix. Season 3 and 4 were produced by the new regime (not sure if it was Netflix itself), and are of a different quality altogether.

When I do get around to it I'll probably just skip the first two seasons unless someone tells me I shouldn't.
Don't skip it, there are some good ones. You absolutely do not need to watch them in any sort of order however, except for the odd hidden Easter egg here and there.
Jiggy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 12:58 PM   #2135
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

The first two seasons were produced in the UK for Channel 4. Netflix took over production for season 3. There is a marked increase in the quality of the show for the Netflix seasons.
Old 01-11-2018, 02:26 PM   #2136
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FlameOn For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2018, 12:37 AM   #2137
flamesfan1297
First Line Centre

Exp:

Anyone ever watch "Riverdale" on Netflix? I can't wait until it comes back on next Thursday. I used to read the Archie comics as a kid, this show is really nothing like them, other than the main characters, but still a great show.

Halloween candy is horrifying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
"Putting nets on puck."

- Ferland 2016
flamesfan1297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 09:20 AM   #2138
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post

i'd recommend starting with season three, and if you like it, then i'd definitely recommend going back to seasons one and two, as there are a number of very good episodes in there, even if the quality isn't quite there.

specifically,
S1: Ep3 The Entire History of You...initially frustrating but eventually, gutting
S2: Ep1 Be Right Back...again, more cerebral, but poignant
Christmas Special: the great John Hamm and a very interesting episode; classic misdirection imo

OK episodes
S2: Ep2 White Bear. Not for everyone, but i thought is was super interesting how it gradually revealed itself
S2: Ep3 The Waldo Moment: became a touchstone after Trump got elected, with people referring back to this episode as being prescient.
S1 Ep1 Not sure, but it seems to have been a bit divisive... i thought is was pretty clever esp in the day and age of youtube and things going viral

Again, if you don't feel compelled by any of the episodes in S3, it simply might not be the show for you...

Last edited by oldschoolcalgary; 01-13-2018 at 09:25 AM.
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oldschoolcalgary For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2018, 04:23 PM   #2139
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Final Verdict: Wormwood

I think the essence of what the filmmakers were going for, and the story they were trying to tell, could have been accomplished in a 2 hour runtime documentary, rather than a 4 hour split-chapter series. Much of the content was pointless, and a lot of it was repeated or displayed in slightly different ways over and over.

The whole series reminded me of the experimental films I watched in various college film courses. That is, if you took every single element and tried to jam into a single film project alongside a very real and serious mystery topic about the CIA. It was so scattered, and it kind of seemed desperate to come off artsy and psychological, but it just sucked.

By the fifth chapter I had lost complete interest and just left it on in the background. I looked up the case of Frank Olsen and MKUltra and was able to gather absolutely everything presented in the series in a 10 minute read. And it was more interesting.

The Metacritic and RottenTomatoes disparities between critic and viewer scores should say enough. I would not recommend Wormwood unless you are at the very end of your rope for streaming options.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2018, 06:14 PM   #2140
Guest1

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfan1297 View Post
Anyone ever watch "Riverdale" on Netflix? I can't wait until it comes back on next Thursday. I used to read the Archie comics as a kid, this show is really nothing like them, other than the main characters, but still a great show.
I like seeing the "altered universe" characters. Jughead as a gang member, Reggie Mantle/drug dealer, Miss Grundy/pedo slut... just for examples. I like how they slipped Hot Dog in too! The "older" characters are from tv/movies from my youth that I forgot I used to love.
Really like it.