Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 04-05-2021, 10:24 PM   #10641
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

I mean I’d love a third rounder for Ryan. I hope the market supports that but I wouldn’t hold it against Treliving if it doesn’t.

It’s more of an auction scenario than deal making.
Old 04-05-2021, 11:07 PM   #10642
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I think the team can pick up 3 3rds and that works. Even if its Ryan, Bennett and Ritter. I would hope for a 2nd and 2 3rds tho
Old 04-05-2021, 11:48 PM   #10643
RedHawk12
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I hope we can get something for these UFAs but I just don't know how big the buyers market will be this season, especially given covid. I honestly think we will be lucky getting a couple 4ths for guys like Ryan and Rittich. Doubt were going to even find takers for guys like Simon, Leivo, Stone, Nesterov, etc.
Old 04-05-2021, 11:58 PM   #10644
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHawk12 View Post
I hope we can get something for these UFAs but I just don't know how big the buyers market will be this season, especially given covid. I honestly think we will be lucky getting a couple 4ths for guys like Ryan and Rittich. Doubt were going to even find takers for guys like Simon, Leivo, Stone, Nesterov, etc.
Trade go then.
Old 04-06-2021, 07:12 AM   #10645
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyhands23 View Post
Trade go then.
Do not pass go, do not collect $200
Old 04-06-2021, 08:02 AM   #10646
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyhands23 View Post
I think the team can pick up 3 3rds and that works. Even if its Ryan, Bennett and Ritter. I would hope for a 2nd and 2 3rds tho
Agreed, I really hope we can get a 2nd for Bennett. If we can only get a 3rd for him, it pushes my expectation down for Ryan for sure.

The fact is though, if there is little market for Bennett, I'd keep him and hope he increases his trade value next year. Or more likely the trade market simply improves. He is not a UFA at season end.
Old 04-06-2021, 08:04 AM   #10647
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Interesting point brought up on the morning show... If you are willing to expose Giordano in the expansion draft, might as well trade him at this deadline.

I really need to see some clever, insightful, asset management from the gm this week.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to bubbsy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2021, 08:10 AM   #10648
ah123
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
Interesting point brought up on the morning show... If you are willing to expose Giordano in the expansion draft, might as well trade him at this deadline.

Difference being that Seattle might want Gio for his leadership skills, and have cap space to take on Gio’s contract for one season.

What team has cap space to take on Gio for the remainder of the year (and next year). What does Gio give them that they don’t already?
Old 04-06-2021, 08:12 AM   #10649
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ah123 View Post
Difference being that Seattle might want Gio for his leadership skills, and have cap space to take on Gio’s contract for one season.

What team has cap space to take on Gio for the remainder of the year (and next year). What does Gio give them that they don’t already?
Eat 50%.

It’s only one more season, and Giordano at $3.375M is quite a steal.
Old 04-06-2021, 08:17 AM   #10650
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Habs announce Price is hurt this morning. They say not serious but have recalled Primeau and left Price in Montreal.

Send them Rittich & Bennett
Old 04-06-2021, 08:18 AM   #10651
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Giordano @ 50%, Leivo
For
Chiarot @50%, Armia, 2021 2nd (TBL), 2022 2nd (MTL)

Habs get Gio at a discounted rate, Flames pick up a 4/5D that can eat minutes if need be, a big bodied RW that has untapped potential (and PKs), and a couple of seconds. Armia would be a great add ONLY if the Flames are planning on re-signing him. Otherwise, maybe explore a different player.
Old 04-06-2021, 08:20 AM   #10652
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ah123 View Post

I dunno. Eat salary and see if a team like the panthers bite?
Old 04-06-2021, 08:21 AM   #10653
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
Agreed, I really hope we can get a 2nd for Bennett. If we can only get a 3rd for him, it pushes my expectation down for Ryan for sure.

The fact is though, if there is little market for Bennett, I'd keep him and hope he increases his trade value next year. Or more likely the trade market simply improves. He is not a UFA at season end.
Derek Ryan is a much better player than Sam Bennet. Ryan kills penalties, can centre a checking line, he’s smart and hard-working, and is a coach’s favourite. When he’s on, Bennet crashes the net and scores opportunistic goals. That’s about it. And you can bet any contender thinking about trading for Bennett will mull over his habit of taking bad penalties at a crucial time in a game. The only thing that hurts Ryan’s value is his cap hit.
Old 04-06-2021, 08:24 AM   #10654
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Eat 50%.

It’s only one more season, and Giordano at $3.375M is quite a steal.
A deal with the Leafs makes too much sense in some ways. Gio gets to go end his career on his hometown team with a great shot at the cup. Leafs could reunite him with Brodie if they want. Leafs need PK help and based on advanced metrics Gio has still been great on the PK this year.

Giordano ($3.375 - 50% retained)

For

Kerfoot ($3.5M)
Liljegrin (or preferably Robertson)
Old 04-06-2021, 08:24 AM   #10655
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Bruins seem like a good fit for Giordano. They’re thin at LD. Maybe something around Trent Frederic if the Flames will eat a chunk of salary.
Old 04-06-2021, 08:26 AM   #10656
Tkachukwagon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
The Bruins seem like a good fit for Giordano. They’re thin at LD. Maybe something around Trent Frederic if the Flames will eat a chunk of salary.
The Bruins love Frederic, I suspect he's not available. He would be an amazing return for the Flames though.
Old 04-06-2021, 08:28 AM   #10657
Saqe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I could see a lot of teams interested in Gio at 50%: Panthers, Bruins, Leafs at least.

The problem is you'll probably have to eat 50% of his deal just to get the negotiations going, his extra year is very unattractive at his age and also due to the expansion draft. The new team would basically have to protect him because at 50% Gio is a good get for Seattle.
Old 04-06-2021, 08:35 AM   #10658
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saqe View Post
I could see a lot of teams interested in Gio at 50%: Panthers, Bruins, Leafs at least.

The problem is you'll probably have to eat 50% of his deal just to get the negotiations going, his extra year is very unattractive at his age and also due to the expansion draft. The new team would basically have to protect him because at 50% Gio is a good get for Seattle.
If all it takes to trade Gio and get a good return is eating 50% of his salary, then it should be a no brainer for the Flames. I don't think they'll be spending close to the cap next year anyways, so $3.75M or whatever on their books for one more year wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.
Old 04-06-2021, 08:41 AM   #10659
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
If all it takes to trade Gio and get a good return is eating 50% of his salary, then it should be a no brainer for the Flames. I don't think they'll be spending close to the cap next year anyways, so $3.75M or whatever on their books for one more year wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.
Curious as to why you believe this?
Old 04-06-2021, 08:43 AM   #10660
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Well let’s see. He has passed through waivers twice this season but his cap hit is lower now so that helps.

Does Ryan take less money now in a contract offer vs waiting until the offseason? We’ve seen lots of veterans stuck in limbo as free agency passes them by.

It would have to be really cheap before I’d do it from a Flames perspective. Like under a million cheap.
For the sake of acquiring assets (draft picks), if I were the Flames I would retain salary on all of Ryan, Rittich, and Bennett to grease the wheels.
Closed Thread