Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2024, 10:48 AM   #141
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Any recommendations on the next sci-fi book/series I should read? I prefer sci-fi that thinks about the science/physics/engineering and what it would be like to live and explore space, versus ones that ignore that and are pure political analogies (aka Star Trek). The last two series I read were the Expanse series and Remembrance of Earth's Past series.
pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 10:57 AM   #142
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudoreality View Post
Any recommendations on the next sci-fi book/series I should read? I prefer sci-fi that thinks about the science/physics/engineering and what it would be like to live and explore space, versus ones that ignore that and are pure political analogies (aka Star Trek). The last two series I read were the Expanse series and Remembrance of Earth's Past series.
Think I recommended this one before, but may as well do so again!
https://www.wired.com/2023/10/geeks-guide-peter-watts/

Blindsight by Peter Watts
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calumniate For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2024, 11:15 AM   #143
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I reread the Ringworld series by Niven recently, that's a lot of fun. Rama series by Clarke.

Revelation Space by Reynolds (or most stuff by him I like). The Forever War series by Haldeman. Stephen Baxter I like a lot of his stuff.

I've been meaning to read Children of Time by Adrian Tchaikovsky
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2024, 11:39 AM   #144
Ashartus
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'll second Alistair Reynolds. Read the 1st Children of Time book by Tchaikovsky, really enjoyed it, just started on the 2nd.

I've struggled with Peter Watts - really interesting ideas but definitely not casual reading.
Ashartus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ashartus For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2024, 12:12 PM   #145
Zuma
Draft Pick

Quote:
Ann Leckie's Radch series (Ancillary Justice, Ancillary Sword, Ancillary Mercy)
Peter Hamilton is pretty popular and has many completed series. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_...n_bibliography Haven't read much of his work, but what I have, I've enjoyed.
Zuma is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Zuma For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2024, 05:30 PM   #146
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you want to try Reynolds, Chasm City is a good standalone entry point.
CliffFletcher is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2024, 07:29 AM   #147
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashartus View Post
I've struggled with Peter Watts - really interesting ideas but definitely not casual reading.
I agree - but the style is so raw and in your face. It's awesome
Old 04-24-2024, 08:19 AM   #148
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

If you haven't read the Silo series, I am on book 2 and enjoying it. It's dragging a bit at the end of two, but worth a read.

Joe Abercrombie's First Law trilogy was quite quite good. Everyone sucks and it's hard to cheer for anyone, and it's great.

Martha Well's Murderbot Diaries are great. Shorter stories that are like episodes in a series (you can often read it in an evening) and feels like Netflix show.

Books I read recently that were a slog and did not enjoy but have good ratings on goodreads/amazon:

Nicholas Eames - Kings of the Wyld. Boring. Was difficult to finish and I didn't like any characters.

Kim Stanley Robinson - Red Moon. What a slog. Very technical. Starts off intriguing and then just drags and drags and drags. But she does create some awesome visualizations through description of Mars in the mind, so it has that going. Very smart book. Maybe I am too dumb.

John Scalzi - Old Mans War. I dunno, didn't hook me. Seemed like many stories I have read over the years. Didn't feel all that original.

Andy Weir - Hail Mary. Oh boy, after reading Mars I was excited for this one. Not even remotely as good. His writing style is technical while being too casual at the same time. I struggled to visualize the story as I was reading it. In the end, I just said, what was the point of this story.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2024, 08:38 AM   #149
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you want procedural sci fi that really goes into all the details, I'd say any of the Bobiverse books by Dennis E Taylor or Project Hail Mary by Weir.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2024, 10:20 AM   #150
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I enjoyed The Last Watch & Exiled Fleet - looks like the 3rd in the series out or coming soon as well. JS Dewes.

https://www.jsdewes.com/

For fantasy, my recent series I've been immersed in is by Michael J Sullivan. He completes trilogies before releasing them, so you know you're never left hanging.
Old 04-24-2024, 03:17 PM   #151
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Also I guess the Three Body Problem would be another obvious one. The new series isn't so hot.. the books are great though
Old 04-24-2024, 03:25 PM   #152
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calumniate View Post
Also I guess the Three Body Problem would be another obvious one. The new series isn't so hot.. the books are great though
Yeah, that is the series I just finished, aka Remembrance Earth's Past.

Thanks for everyone's recommendations. I just picked up Blindsight from the library.
pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pseudoreality For This Useful Post: