Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2019, 09:14 AM   #501
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Coming to a conclusion rationally, and acting on it, is not desperation. Desperation is an emotional reaction.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2019, 09:15 AM   #502
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beninho View Post
Lol some people are so angry about this trade. Wait for the damn season to start before posting stupid ####

Very happy Neal is off the team. What a pathetic season he had

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well, yes and no.

I think people absolutely have every right to be upset with the trade and not solely because we've been mocking Lucic for being a useless but expensive plug for years.

This trade only precariously balances the smell test. And you can tell because the retained salary was minimal, the conditions on the pick are laughable, those were just the spoonful of sugar, the NTC not being void is a concern, his contract being buy-out proof is another.

Now, might Lucic surprise us? Maybe. But I sincerely doubt hes going to surprise us by being a productive player worth his $5M+.

Now, we can counter that by saying that Neal would have been no different. That wasted money was going to be an anchor around our necks one way or the other.

This really is just about salvaging a bad scenario. The money was basically gone and Treliving doubled down by trying to get something out of it in Lucic rather than proceed with buying out Neal after a poor year.

Either way, Risk abounds. And pessimism along with it.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2019, 09:47 AM   #503
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
This really is just about salvaging a bad scenario. The money was basically gone and Treliving doubled down by trying to get something out of it in Lucic rather than proceed with buying out Neal after a poor year.
I doubt that was ever an option.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2019, 09:54 AM   #504
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

In the long run, this will be seen as a minor deal. The only reason it seems like such a big deal is that 1). It is the middle of the summer and no other news is happening 2). Both players have outrageous contracts 3). It's a deal with the Flames biggest rival ( not competitively).

Lucic, unlike he was on the Oilers wont cripple the Flames cap situation because the Flames cap situation is well structured. The Flames have a competitive team now and don't really need to add. Things are a little tight this season, but next season the Flames will have some 20M come off the books, and wont have any massive UFA signings.

To me is a nothing deal, and of little actual consequence. BT knows what he is doing.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 09:58 AM   #505
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
I don't see Panic and Desperation as the same thing.

Panic is like a sudden realization or motivation, like finding out Roman Cervenka is a winger and not a centre after you've signed him to a contract expecting him to play C.

Desperation though is sort of the opposite. It's a conclusion reached long after panic. The loss of hope. The belief that there will be no other opportunity to proceed with a given action or direction.

I see Lucic for Neal as desperation. There was very little hope of being able to trade Neal for anything other than Lucic. They had probably exhausted as many different scenarios as existed. The desperation sets in on 'what if this is our last chance to move this guy'.

On July 19th, it's not Panic that consummates the trade, it's the Desperation of understanding this is your best and only shot.
I'd agree ... and the desperation went both ways.

"This is the only move we are going to get boys" on both sides.

Better fit, save some dollars, and put a problem behind you.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 10:05 AM   #506
Saqe
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
I find there are so much overdramatic hand wringing from some for what essentially is a bad contract for bad contract trade. Yes, we took on a crap contract, but we swapped it with another one.

I mean, there's something to be said here about handing out bad contracts in the first place. Acquiring Hamilton, Neal, Brower etc. and then having to find out that "a square peg doesn't fit a round hole" isn't very convincing in my eyes. At some point these bad moves will catch up with Treliving.
Saqe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 10:16 AM   #507
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
I'd agree ... and the desperation went both ways.

"This is the only move we are going to get boys" on both sides.

Better fit, save some dollars, and put a problem behind you.
Well I don't agree with that at all.

Edmonton wasn't nearly as desperate to move Lucic as Calgary was to move neal.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 10:29 AM   #508
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saqe View Post
I mean, there's something to be said here about handing out bad contracts in the first place. Acquiring Hamilton, Neal, Brower etc. and then having to find out that "a square peg doesn't fit a round hole" isn't very convincing in my eyes. At some point these bad moves will catch up with Treliving.
Sure, but that's kind of a different topic than people freaking out because Flames got Lucic. At this point, the Neal contract wasn't going anywhere unless you swap it for something equally as terrible. And that's what's happening. We can hand wring on Treliving messing up and signing Neal, but why are people freaking out on swapping it for Lucic? I actually think it's a better move than keeping Neal and hoping he rebounds.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 10:59 AM   #509
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Pardon???

I don't know how you can state that as a fact. Any rumors about Neal's effect on the dressing room are just rumors at this point, so it can't be factored in.

If you are Ken Holland, and you look at the Oilers roster on your first day, what is your first priority? Getting rid Lucic's contract or improving his roster spot.

Let's not get into revisionism here to support a narrative that Treliving is on the hot seat, which you've been trying to drive as a thing for some time without any evidence to suggest it's true.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 10:59 AM   #510
I_H8_Crawford
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperJ View Post
I loved Tree's quote..."you can't jam a square peg into a round hole"
Too bad he didn't learn that in December of GG's second year...
I_H8_Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 11:04 AM   #511
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperJ View Post
I loved Tree's quote..."you can't jam a square peg into a round hole"
Expect several more cliches tomorrow. He’s a machine.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 11:06 AM   #512
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:

Almost 3 dozen articles have been written in Edmonton on ways to get rid of Lucic. It's been in the rumour mill since the trade deadline as an obsession.

We heard about it before the draft, at the draft, after July 1st, after they paid the bonus.

Holland isn't writing articles but the feel felt pretty desperate to me.
Old 07-22-2019, 11:15 AM   #513
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyhands23 View Post
Morning show on 960 said they will have BT on a phone call tomorrow. If anyone is interested
What an idiot. He's doing his 5th appearance since transplant explained that his best move would be to go into hiding for the summer.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 11:21 AM   #514
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Almost 3 dozen articles have been written in Edmonton on ways to get rid of Lucic. It's been in the rumour mill since the trade deadline as an obsession.

We heard about it before the draft, at the draft, after July 1st, after they paid the bonus.

Holland isn't writing articles but the feel felt pretty desperate to me.
A desire is different than desperation to me.

I mean, just really consider the situation with Neal.

He was a below replacement level player who went 21 games without a goal, left the team in the middle of the season, the Flames tried to dump him 50 games into his contract and then benched him in the most important game of the season.

Edmonton could've come back with Lucic to start this season and it would've been bad but they suck anyway and lucic still plays minutes for them. They are going to suck with or without Lucic, and their cap situation isn't at all like Calgary's.

Calgary NEEDED that 500k in cap relief to ice a roster this year. That number might be the difference between signing bennett and walking away for example.

Calgary is in the middle of their winning window with a player the entire league probably knew the Flames absolutely could not entertain coming back to the team to start the season.

Holland just arrived and didn't sign Lucic. Treliving is in year 5 as GM and Neal is his fresh signing.

Complete opposite ends of the desperation scale IMO.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 11:23 AM   #515
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:

He was a below replacement level player who went 21 games without a goal, left the team in the middle of the season, the Flames tried to dump him 50 games into his contract and then benched him in the most important game of the season.

Edmonton could've come back with Lucic to start this season and it would've been bad but they suck anyway and lucic still plays minutes for them. They are going to suck with or without Lucic, and their cap situation isn't at all like Calgary's.

Calgary NEEDED that 500k in cap relief to ice a roster this year. That number might be the difference between signing bennett and walking away for example.

Calgary is in the middle of their winning window with a player the entire league probably knew the Flames absolutely could not entertain coming back to the team to start the season.

Holland just arrived and didn't sign Lucic. Treliving is in year 5 as GM and Neal is his fresh signing.

I think we'll agree to disagree on that one.

Doesn't take a lot of paying attention to Edmonton fans and media to smell desperation on getting Lucic out of town.
Old 07-22-2019, 11:24 AM   #516
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Let me do a Flash Walken-esque response here.

*ahem*

LOL!
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2019, 11:35 AM   #517
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
What an idiot. He's doing his 5th appearance since transplant explained that his best move would be to go into hiding for the summer.
But the optics... I was told how truly bad they are... what with this being the darkest moment in franchise history.

5 appearance since, after 3 appearances prior. Weird how that comment didn't hold up.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 11:42 AM   #518
Travis Munroe
RealtorŪ

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saqe View Post

If you broaden the search to other teams, you will see that there is no GM who has not brought on bad contracts. A good gm is not measured by whether or not he has made a bad deal or signed a bad contract but instead, it is how their team is either progressing or competing.

Tre has built a team that we all love and is one of the better gms in the league IMO as he is very calculated yet active.
The Hamilton acquisition hasn't turned out too bad... I would do it again.
Brouwer and Neal were gambles that didn't pay off but Tre has built the rest of the team in a way that allows for a bad contract to have little impact.

Imagine being a fan of other teams... Carolina lost Ferland after 1 season.
The Oilers traded Hall for Larsson
Columbus could have a competitive team with some serious prospects/draft picks had they not went all in on 2 guys that were leaving.
The Bruins could have Seguin

Point being, no gm is invincible to a bad deal or contract but how you have built the team as a whole will dictate just how bad your mistake was and Tre has sheltered himself and the team but making 5 smart moves to every bad move.
The Hawks received Saad for Panarin

OFFICIAL CP REALTOR & PROPERTY MANAGER
Travis Munroe | Century 21 Elevate | 403.971.4300

Residential Buying & Selling
info@tmunroe.com
www.tmunroe.com

Property Management
travis@mpmCalgary.com
www.mpmCalgary.com
Travis Munroe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Travis Munroe For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2019, 12:55 PM   #519
Saqe
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Munroe View Post
If you broaden the search to other teams, you will see that there is no GM who has not brought on bad contracts. A good gm is not measured by whether or not he has made a bad deal or signed a bad contract but instead, it is how their team is either progressing or competing.

Tre has built a team that we all love and is one of the better gms in the league IMO as he is very calculated yet active.
The Hamilton acquisition hasn't turned out too bad... I would do it again.
Brouwer and Neal were gambles that didn't pay off but Tre has built the rest of the team in a way that allows for a bad contract to have little impact.

Imagine being a fan of other teams... Carolina lost Ferland after 1 season.
The Oilers traded Hall for Larsson
Columbus could have a competitive team with some serious prospects/draft picks had they not went all in on 2 guys that were leaving.
The Bruins could have Seguin

Point being, no gm is invincible to a bad deal or contract but how you have built the team as a whole will dictate just how bad your mistake was and Tre has sheltered himself and the team but making 5 smart moves to every bad move.
The Hawks received Saad for Panarin

Sure trades are just a part of being a GM but what have the Flames actually accomplished under Treliving?

He has built a team that has made the playoffs 3/5 times during his tenure. The core of this team was here before him: Monahan, Gaudreau and Gio and he's tried to complement the core with some good moves but also with a juggling act with three different coaches, persistent questionmarks with goaltending and some good and some very bad UFA signings.

But making the playoffs is hard so I think he has done a decent job. Making the playoffs regularly would be a great achievement but the team hasn't proven that yet, though last season was very promising. But the goal is to win the cup and Treliving has so far built a team that has showed very little if anything at all in the playoffs. That should be the deciding factor in whether he's done a good job.
Saqe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 01:33 PM   #520
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

^I disagree.
Too much of that is on ice performance
My primary evaluation is looking at the state of the franchise, across all assets and how those assets are used.
results on the ice are important too but that's on the coach and players to deliver to that more than the GM.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post: