Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2013, 08:47 PM   #1321
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfx View Post
I'd rather have Reinhart in the AHL as a top 6 guy to see if he can find his offense.
I agree, I feel people are rushing things by suggesting he should get a spot in the NHL line-up to start the season. He's only 21, let him get a lot of minutes in the AHL and he will be one of the first call-ups.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:25 PM   #1322
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
I agree, I feel people are rushing things by suggesting he should get a spot in the NHL line-up to start the season. He's only 21, let him get a lot of minutes in the AHL and he will be one of the first call-ups.
This is how I feel too. Maybe play him with Hanowski and see if they can develop some kind of chemistry.
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 10:09 AM   #1323
GettinIggyWithIt
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre "Monster" McGuire View Post
My point being, if they can't make the Flames out of camp, it's all but guaranteed they'll get a shot at some point during the season. This time (I hope) guys like Reinhart or Horak will be better mentally prepared for the grind of the long season.
Yeah I agree. My point was that I don't think all these young guys would/should make the Flames out of training camp. I think Baertschi, Bouma and Horak will probably make it. Horak would be the most likely to need another year in the AHL to develop some consistency to his offensive game. However, despite Horak's scoring slump, he was still one of our best defensive forwards last year. Knight will likely make it too as long as he has a good camp. But I think that should be it.

We have to start easing young players into the lineup over the next 2-3 years, not rushing a bunch of them together, and then continue that process with newly drafted players. The Blackhawks and Wings have done this successfully over the last few years.
GettinIggyWithIt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GettinIggyWithIt For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2013, 01:17 PM   #1324
flames_fan13
First Line Centre

Exp:

I can see Bouma starting in Abbotsford for the beginning of the season. He hasn't played a game since April 2012 and could see him having some rust after not being in a game situation in what will be 18 months at the start of the season.
Old 06-29-2013, 04:49 PM   #1325
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames_fan13 View Post
I can see Bouma starting in Abbotsford for the beginning of the season. He hasn't played a game since April 2012 and could see him having some rust after not being in a game situation in what will be 18 months at the start of the season.
Technically, he played 3 games for the Heat in October and then he got hurt.

But I agree. He almost needs 20 or so games in the AHL to get back into game form before even attempting to move up to Calgary.
Pierre "Monster" McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pierre "Monster" McGuire For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2013, 10:03 AM   #1326
StrykerSteve
Ass Handler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
There is no chance Knight plays in the AHL. I don't even think Reinhart will.
Agreed with Knight. But there's simply no room for Reinhart, assuming Monahan makes the Flames. There isn't even room for Horak.

Flames need to make some more trades, so they can get those two guys into the lineup.

Baertschi - Backlund - Jones
Hudler - Knight - Cammalleri
Glencross - Monahan - Stempniak
Bouma - Stajan - Jackman
StrykerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 02:49 AM   #1327
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrykerSteve View Post
Agreed with Knight. But there's simply no room for Reinhart, assuming Monahan makes the Flames. There isn't even room for Horak.

Flames need to make some more trades, so they can get those two guys into the lineup.

Baertschi - Backlund - Jones
Hudler - Knight - Cammalleri
Glencross - Monahan - Stempniak
Bouma - Stajan - Jackman
I don't think the Flames need to make 'room' for Reinhart and Horak, and I don't think Bouma makes the team from camp due to amount of time he missed last season. Horak and Reinhart (and whomever else) should be battling for that spot and forcing the Flames to make a move.

Also, I noticed you always put Stajan on the 4th line. He is a terrible 4th liner. I would start Knight off there - he has the size and plays that physical game.

Backlund
Stajan
Monahan (shelter him a bit and make him take Stajan's job)
Knight

I don't think any spots should be 'saved' for anyone. Flames have to make the prospects battle for their spots, and develop that culture that they lacked for years. It was not simply a lack of youth - the bigger change needed was the lack of compete.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2013, 09:32 AM   #1328
Stampede2TheCup
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
I don't think the Flames need to make 'room' for Reinhart and Horak, and I don't think Bouma makes the team from camp due to amount of time he missed last season. Horak and Reinhart (and whomever else) should be battling for that spot and forcing the Flames to make a move.

Also, I noticed you always put Stajan on the 4th line. He is a terrible 4th liner. I would start Knight off there - he has the size and plays that physical game.

Backlund
Stajan
Monahan (shelter him a bit and make him take Stajan's job)
Knight

I don't think any spots should be 'saved' for anyone. Flames have to make the prospects battle for their spots, and develop that culture that they lacked for years. It was not simply a lack of youth - the bigger change needed was the lack of compete.
I agree, and also there's always injuries so there will be more room for guys to get a chance than when we draw up mock lines right now.
Stampede2TheCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:57 AM   #1329
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

It'll be interesting to see where the Flames play Horak this training camp. Does he go back to centre or does he shift to the wing again.

If he's at centre I think he's got the edge on both Knight and Reinhart for a job.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 04:49 PM   #1330
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
It'll be interesting to see where the Flames play Horak this training camp. Does he go back to centre or does he shift to the wing again.

If he's at centre I think he's got the edge on both Knight and Reinhart for a job.
I found that puzzling. Was it Ward's decision to move him to RW or was it the Flames deciding it was a weak spot in our depth? I guess it could be because he didn't have the tools to play much above the checking line at centre but they saw some offensive ability when he didn't have as much defensive responsibilities.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:23 AM   #1331
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
I found that puzzling. Was it Ward's decision to move him to RW or was it the Flames deciding it was a weak spot in our depth? I guess it could be because he didn't have the tools to play much above the checking line at centre but they saw some offensive ability when he didn't have as much defensive responsibilities.
I think it has more to do with him playing better as a winger and not being a liability in the dot
The Following User Says Thank You to Alberta_Beef For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2013, 02:52 AM   #1332
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder who the Heat sign for vets this year. Would assume they would get 1-2 of the AHL vet types. Not sure if Laing is still signed or did his AHL contract expire? Though there is going to be an influx of talent this season, would be nice to have a couple of leader types that can play in different situations and help guide the kids to becoming good pros.

Really hoping Ferland (and Howse - though with him I have my doubts for doing it twice in a row) are really working hard at becoming pros. Ferland can be such an important piece moving forward if he can get it together in my opinion.
Old 07-03-2013, 10:20 AM   #1333
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

There are a few AHL superstars out there who rack up stupid points. Could be some guys that Feaster could target to ease the weight of scoring off some of the kids.

For example:

Darren Haydar - 11 straight seasons with 50 points or more, 5 seasons with 70 points or more. Has loyalties to the Wolves and was rumoured to be going to Orebro, so might not come here.

Keith Aucoin - 10 straight seasons with 50 points or more (was on pace for at least 50 before getting called up to the Isles this season).

Martin St. Pierre - 7 straight seasons with 50 points or more.

Jeff Taffe - A bit of a vegabond. Has been on a different team for the last five seasons. He's had 5 straight seasons with 50 points or more.

Mark Mancari - Has his loyalties to Rochester and the Buffalo organization, but he's put up 7 straight seasons with 50 points or more. He's also tough as nails and puts up well over 200 PIMs a season.

Just some examples of who Feaster could target in free agency.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pierre "Monster" McGuire For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2013, 11:04 AM   #1334
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Really hoping Ferland (and Howse - though with him I have my doubts for doing it twice in a row) are really working hard at becoming pros. Ferland can be such an important piece moving forward if he can get it together in my opinion.
can you imagine how good those two could be if they had Carter Bancks' work ethic? At least make them train with Rich Hesketh in the offseason and see what happens ... too bad that it won't happen.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2013, 02:33 PM   #1335
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
When Conroy was interviewed about becoming the GM of Abbottsford he talked about wanting the systems to be the same in Calgary vs Abby but also talked about if Horak is going to be a centre at the NHL level then he needs to be playing centre in the minors.

So it sounds like it was Ward's decision which was probably influenced by how many centres we had (Street and Walter being the two who pushed Horak out to the wing.)

And he didn't straight out say it but Conroy hinted they might like Horak better at centre.

What I found super strange last year was that we're trying Cammalleri, Tanguay and even frickin Comeau at centre while we've got a natural centre in Horak playing on the wing.

Hopefully that all gets clarified this season. Horak looks good at both positions but the Flames need to figure out where they want him.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2013, 05:34 PM   #1336
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Horak was Reinhart's RW last season for probably half the season.
Old 07-04-2013, 12:36 AM   #1337
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
can you imagine how good those two could be if they had Carter Bancks' work ethic? At least make them train with Rich Hesketh in the offseason and see what happens ... too bad that it won't happen.
They have to make Bancks their captain. I really believe he sets the very best example.

After they do that.. can they tie Ferland to Bancks for the entire off-season?

I am hoping for Howse as well. However, I can understand how some prospects just aren't mentally prepared for the change to pro hockey. It can be a shock to them. I really believed Howse embraced those changes that he needed to do, and saw him becoming a more effective player (barring the injuries). Last year when he again showed up the way he did, it just makes me think he just doesn't care enough, or just doesn't have enough discipline to live a certain way. I am really hoping Ferland comes in much better prepared, as it will show to me he is much more serious about becoming an NHL player.
Old 07-04-2013, 12:40 AM   #1338
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
When Conroy was interviewed about becoming the GM of Abbottsford he talked about wanting the systems to be the same in Calgary vs Abby but also talked about if Horak is going to be a centre at the NHL level then he needs to be playing centre in the minors.

So it sounds like it was Ward's decision which was probably influenced by how many centres we had (Street and Walter being the two who pushed Horak out to the wing.)

And he didn't straight out say it but Conroy hinted they might like Horak better at centre.

What I found super strange last year was that we're trying Cammalleri, Tanguay and even frickin Comeau at centre while we've got a natural centre in Horak playing on the wing.

Hopefully that all gets clarified this season. Horak looks good at both positions but the Flames need to figure out where they want him.
Comeau.. I don't even know why myself...

However, Cammy and Tanguay were both natural centers and were also switched to the wing when they got to the NHL. Switching back 'kind of' makes sense - though the gap doesn't. I guess they just view Horak as a better winger in the NHL than a center. Will be interesting to see what will happen with Horak moving forward - forgot what poster mentioned that Conroy was working with Horak on becoming a better center. Hope it works out - but it will definitely create a log-jam at center in the next couple of years (which is great).
Old 07-04-2013, 01:32 AM   #1339
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Comeau.. I don't even know why myself...

However, Cammy and Tanguay were both natural centers and were also switched to the wing when they got to the NHL. Switching back 'kind of' makes sense - though the gap doesn't. I guess they just view Horak as a better winger in the NHL than a center. Will be interesting to see what will happen with Horak moving forward - forgot what poster mentioned that Conroy was working with Horak on becoming a better center. Hope it works out - but it will definitely create a log-jam at center in the next couple of years (which is great).
The Comeau thing was not even for a full game, I took it as Hartley rewarding Comeau for being one of the hardest working Flames, while sending a message to the team at the same time.
Old 07-04-2013, 10:31 AM   #1340
GettinIggyWithIt
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre "Monster" McGuire View Post
There are a few AHL superstars out there who rack up stupid points. Could be some guys that Feaster could target to ease the weight of scoring off some of the kids.

For example:

Mark Mancari - Has his loyalties to Rochester and the Buffalo organization, but he's put up 7 straight seasons with 50 points or more. He's also tough as nails and puts up well over 200 PIMs a season.

Just some examples of who Feaster could target in free agency.
I'd love to see Feaster sign Mancari for the Heat. He'd be a solid addition and we could even reward him with a few games with the big club during the season.
GettinIggyWithIt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2012 , 2013 , abbotsford , heat , prospects