Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2013, 02:00 AM   #1301
flames_fan13
First Line Centre

Exp:

Howse Street Granlund
Knight Reinhart Hanowski
Ferland Elson Eddy

Not a line up thats going to score a lot and win a lot of games. Ortio/Ramo/Berra will have their jobs cut out for them if they don't sign someone.

I hope they let Kolanos move on, he's an inconsistent player and would rather have a consistent player mentor guys like Howse and Granlund.

Nemisz and Aliu who I could see the team holding onto or let go if we had a bit more options but with the lineup as is, both will need to be signed.
Old 06-21-2013, 04:44 AM   #1302
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
Lamb is RFA.
Culkin is old enough to turn pro.
Cundari could return to Abby, unlikely though.

They will also likely invite some UFA's to their prospect camps (former junior and college guys who are unsigned.) Potentially we could sign a defender that way as well.
I am surprised I forgot Lamb, I doubt Culkin goes pro, if he does maybe it will be to an AHL contract, but I don't see the Flames signing him until they have to.
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:42 AM   #1303
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames_fan13 View Post
Howse Street Granlund
Knight Reinhart Hanowski
Ferland Elson Eddy

Not a line up thats going to score a lot and win a lot of games. Ortio/Ramo/Berra will have their jobs cut out for them if they don't sign someone.

I hope they let Kolanos move on, he's an inconsistent player and would rather have a consistent player mentor guys like Howse and Granlund.

Nemisz and Aliu who I could see the team holding onto or let go if we had a bit more options but with the lineup as is, both will need to be signed.
There is no chance Knight plays in the AHL. I don't even think Reinhart will.
keenan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 10:07 AM   #1304
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
There is no chance Knight plays in the AHL. I don't even think Reinhart will.
I agree about Knight but I wouldn't be surprised if Reinhart starts the year in the AHL. Hopefully Ward opens it up a bit so they score some goals this season.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 01:10 PM   #1305
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_Beef View Post
I am surprised I forgot Lamb, I doubt Culkin goes pro, if he does maybe it will be to an AHL contract, but I don't see the Flames signing him until they have to.
Teams don't usually leave their prospects in junior for overage years. We did with Turner Elson but he was undrafted. Pretty good chance Culkin gets signed and turns pro IMO.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 01:34 PM   #1306
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Teams don't usually leave their prospects in junior for overage years. We did with Turner Elson but he was undrafted. Pretty good chance Culkin gets signed and turns pro IMO.
Interesting. I've been wondering what might happen with Culkin this season. That would mean the Heat would have three rookie Dmen to work with.

Wotherspoon
Ramage
Culkin
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 11:59 PM   #1307
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Interesting. I've been wondering what might happen with Culkin this season. That would mean the Heat would have three rookie Dmen to work with.

Wotherspoon
Ramage
Culkin
plus Lamb who only has 50 games under his belt and Martin 33 games experience. Although I think there is good reason Martin has only played 33 games lol. I also think that Ramage won't be a typical rookie since he does have a great deal of experience and maturity. But I would really like to bring back Carson on an AHL deal since he played so well for the Heat this year and would be a sold RH defenseman to pair with Wotherspoon.
Old 06-22-2013, 12:00 AM   #1308
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Usually players aren't AHL eligible 1 years after being drafted either

But I still wouldn't rule out an AHL deal if he does go pro since we still have until June, 2014 to sign him.
Old 06-23-2013, 02:37 PM   #1309
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_Beef View Post
Usually players aren't AHL eligible 1 years after being drafted either
Anaheim had Hampus Lindholm and Buffalo had Zemgus Girgensons in the AHL this year, so it happens ... although those weren't drafted out of the CHL, so I don't know if there are other rules regarding those players. But Culkin's case isn't that extraordinary - a lot of draftees turn 20 ahead of December 31 in their second year after being drafted, f.e. Baertschi.

Don't know if we can sign Culkin to an AHL deal while he's still junior eligible ... I believe it would have to be an ELC to get him to the AHL for a whole season.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 03:34 PM   #1310
Young One
Draft Pick

I know this doesn't belong here, but is Hampus Lindholm related to Elias?
Young One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:09 PM   #1311
StrykerSteve
Ass Handler

Exp:

In - Corban Knight (C), Markus Granlund (C), Michael Ferland (RW), Ben Hanowski (RW), Ryan Howse (LW), John Ramage (D), Tyler Wotherspoon (D), Reto Berra (G), Joni Ortio (G) and Laurent Brossoit (G)

Should be a fun year.
StrykerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:52 PM   #1312
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

The coaching staff seemed to really like Max Reinhart. I'd be shocked if he didn't spent at least half the year in Calgary.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 10:54 PM   #1313
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeway View Post
The coaching staff seemed to really like Max Reinhart. I'd be shocked if he didn't spent at least half the year in Calgary.
I like Max too but he looked a little small to me. He's listed at 6'1" and 185 but he could use putting on some more muscle this summer. I could see him starting in Abbotsford just so he could up his scoring stats and get to be relied on as a go to guy.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:39 PM   #1314
The Eliminator
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Drew MacKenzie is coming back as he was signed to a 2 year AHL contract
http://www.abbynews.com/sports/heat/news/201511081.html

Here's an article with the contract situation for the whole team:
http://www.abbynews.com/sports/heat/news/204739901.html
The Eliminator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Eliminator For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2013, 11:03 PM   #1315
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Eliminator View Post
They missed Hanowski.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:13 AM   #1316
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Eliminator View Post
Drew MacKenzie is coming back as he was signed to a 2 year AHL contract
http://www.abbynews.com/sports/heat/news/201511081.html

Drew MacKenzie looked awesome in the back half of the season. Very smart and very steady. Hardly ever made a bad outlet pass.

Great signing.
Pierre "Monster" McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:34 AM   #1317
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

Reinhart should be done with the AHL, he needs to get better against NHLers now.
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 01:16 PM   #1318
GettinIggyWithIt
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Chief View Post
Reinhart should be done with the AHL, he needs to get better against NHLers now.
The problem is that the Flames won't have room for all these guys that could make the big team. I think Baertschi, Horak, Bouma, Reinhart and Knight all should have a shot and get a long look with the Flames but it's unlikely that the Flames would keep all 5 (especially if they draft a NHL ready player as well). In my opinion, Baertschi is a lock and Horak and Bouma should be as well based on previous play and if they perform well at camp. Knight should probably start with them as well, so it gets pretty crowded.

It all depends on what other moves the Flames make but personally I hope that if the Flames add any more NHL roster players (like David Jones) that they sound out one or two the other way, or trade some roster players for prospects/picks. They need a good mix of veterans/young players on both clubs (Heat and Flames).

It'll be an interesting camp from both a Heat and Flames perspective.
GettinIggyWithIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 03:18 PM   #1319
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

In my last interview with Ward he mentioned how he was proud that Reinhart got the call-up. He said he worked hard and deserved it. But at the same time, he noted that Reinhart started to "sulk" and "get down on himself" towards the end of the season. I suppose that's not breaking news considering his point totals after being the go-to guy for 2+ season in Cranbrook.

I'm sure it happens to all young players at one point during their young pro careers. Hell, Horak had a 25 game goalless drought! I'm positive he went through some down times as well.

My point being, if they can't make the Flames out of camp, it's all but guaranteed they'll get a shot at some point during the season. This time (I hope) guys like Reinhart or Horak will be better mentally prepared for the grind of the long season.
Pierre "Monster" McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pierre "Monster" McGuire For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2013, 08:32 PM   #1320
nightfx
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I'd rather have Reinhart in the AHL as a top 6 guy to see if he can find his offense.
nightfx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2012 , 2013 , abbotsford , heat , prospects