Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2022, 10:15 PM   #3841
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Pff...thats nothing. I've been posting pics of my 6-pack and been getting nothing but whining and complaints!

Its not off topic!!!

Yes. The dark side of #abstorm. Also the grammar - shouldn’t it be “abs storm”? “ab storm” sounds off.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 07:52 AM   #3842
CarlLester
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
Trickle charger. Highly recommended!

https://www.amazon.ca/NOCO-GENIUS1-F...s%2C117&sr=8-6

I swear these things used to be like $200-300 bucks so I never bothered. But a great brand in Noco is now only $60 entry level (occasionally drops to around $40-50 on black friday etc.). It's so worth it.

I top up all the batteries prior to cold snaps. I find that it's just as useful if not more useful than plugging in a block heater. Most people are incorrect in assuming that plugging in your vehicle charges the battery. TBH, I'm kinda mad that block heaters don't actually do that.

That or a USB jump starter. I love how I don't have to get another vehicle in place to use the jump starter. I have one for each vehicle now.
I waited for Black Friday based on this post. $33.99 today on Amazon so going to pick one up.
CarlLester is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CarlLester For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2022, 08:17 AM   #3843
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlLester View Post
I waited for Black Friday based on this post. $33.99 today on Amazon so going to pick one up.
ha!!
i PM-ed DoubleF about a portable battery jumper he mentioned and he sent me a link and some info.
it was $205 until black friday - now it's $109!

i know it's the gear grinder thread, but having posters like DoubleF on cp really makes me happy!

thanks again DoubleF!
Old 11-25-2022, 09:37 AM   #3844
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Being broke is a mother####er.
I am good with my money as a point, but sometimes big bills ( car repairs ect) come out of no where and after paying them you're flat broke.

Jeez it is an uncomfortable feeling.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2022, 09:43 AM   #3845
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Buy on credit like everyone else!
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 10:01 AM   #3846
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
Being broke is a mother####er.
I am good with my money as a point, but sometimes big bills ( car repairs ect) come out of no where and after paying them you're flat broke.

Jeez it is an uncomfortable feeling.
it never changes

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 10:08 AM   #3847
Ashartus
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post
Heh. It was a sonos soundbar, so probably would have been easy to flip. But it's on its way home now (or does Amazon just send these to a liquidator for pennies on the dollar?)

The nonchalant response from customer service was the most jarring part. Communication was through chat, so hard to gauge a sense of what the guy was thinking. But if I had to sum it up: "oh." Had they sent two of the Barry's tea it would have been more understandable.

Has me wondering how many times this happens. They must write off an absolute ton--not just returns and porch pirate stuff, but f-ups, fraud, etc. Years ago I accidentally ordered two of the same book, when I contacted customer service they refunded me one and told me to keep the second.

I ordered a TV stand from them once and they shipped me a big box containing 10 of them, must've been how the supplier sent to them. I also had a pretty nonchalant response, almost a "I guess you can send the other 9 back if you want." Of course these things were so heavy they probably lost a pile of money on the shipping costs.
Ashartus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashartus For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2022, 11:31 AM   #3848
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
it never changes

Except that's a complete sham.

To paraphrase the ever-eloquent Jim Young (Ben Affleck) from Boiler Room:

"Anybody who tells you money doesn't solve your problems, doesn't ####ing have any..."

Last edited by you&me; 11-25-2022 at 02:14 PM. Reason: Duh, Jim
you&me is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 01:09 PM   #3849
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I had a portable battery jumper and gave it to my son. It's saved me and friends a couple of times. I was going to get the NOCO GB40 but went with the Gooloo 1500 instead. I don't know anything about gooloo, but thought I'd give them a shot. I did the 2 for 40% off so it was $168 total. A buddy is going to take the 2nd one.
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 01:40 PM   #3850
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by you&me View Post
Except that's a complete sham.

To paraphrase the ever-eloquent Jom Young (Ben Affleck) from Boiler Room:

"Anybody who tells you money doesn't solve your problems, doesn't ####ing have any..."
Guy, if you’re going to quote boiler room and my man Ben, at least get it right.

The correct quote (and my personal motto) is:

“Anybody who tells you money is the root of all evil doesn’t ####ing have any.”
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 01:41 PM   #3851
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

They say money can’t buy happiness? Look at the smile on my face. Ear to ear, baby!

Very quotable speech.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 02:17 PM   #3852
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Guy, if you’re going to quote boiler room and my man Ben, at least get it right.

The correct quote (and my personal motto) is:

“Anybody who tells you money is the root of all evil doesn’t ####ing have any.”
Guy, if you're going to take issue with my post, at least read the words I wrote:

"To paraphrase..."

But yes, great scene.

Point being, mo money does not necessarily mean mo problems, but no money definitely means mo problems.
you&me is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 04:22 PM   #3853
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by you&me View Post
Guy, if you're going to take issue with my post, at least read the words I wrote:

"To paraphrase..."

But yes, great scene.

Point being, mo money does not necessarily mean mo problems, but no money definitely means mo problems.
Yah, I agree. The whole "mo money mo problems" quote has always been a gear grinder for me. It's a rich person quote to make themselves feel better IMO.

The fact is, there are a lot of problems people struggle with that can definitely be solved by having financial stability. Does money solve all problems? No. Does having money create new problems? Sure, but those are more controllable problems IMO, and ones that are oftentimes self inflicted by being reckless.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Yen Man For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2022, 05:01 PM   #3854
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Desert Pita on 17th Ave forest lawn is no longer. That’s so damn lame man.
Old 11-26-2022, 02:25 PM   #3855
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post
Heh. It was a sonos soundbar, so probably would have been easy to flip. But it's on its way home now (or does Amazon just send these to a liquidator for pennies on the dollar?)

The nonchalant response from customer service was the most jarring part. Communication was through chat, so hard to gauge a sense of what the guy was thinking. But if I had to sum it up: "oh." Had they sent two of the Barry's tea it would have been more understandable.

Has me wondering how many times this happens. They must write off an absolute ton--not just returns and porch pirate stuff, but f-ups, fraud, etc. Years ago I accidentally ordered two of the same book, when I contacted customer service they refunded me one and told me to keep the second.
Wow, I should have kept the sound bar after all. Now my gears are really ground.

I sent Amazon a curt email this morning politely explaining how dumb they are, fishing for a free month of Prime sorta thing. Their response:
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 11:45 AM   #3856
Superflyer
Close, but no banana.

Exp:

WGMG is online shopping from the US. There are some things that my family want for Christmas so I look for them with black Friday, go to checkout and either they don't ship to Canada or the rates are insane. I tried to get a purse for my wife that costs about$75 but shipping was the same price.
Superflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 11:51 AM   #3857
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superflyer View Post
WGMG is online shopping from the US. There are some things that my family want for Christmas so I look for them with black Friday, go to checkout and either they don't ship to Canada or the rates are insane. I tried to get a purse for my wife that costs about$75 but shipping was the same price.

I did order a couple of things that won’t ship to Canada to the Montana Mailboxes. I am going to pick them up whenever we go down there. It’s ridiculous that stuff that used to be sold here, but is out of stock or discontinued here.
Old 11-27-2022, 12:08 PM   #3858
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
I did order a couple of things that won’t ship to Canada to the Montana Mailboxes. I am going to pick them up whenever we go down there. It’s ridiculous that stuff that used to be sold here, but is out of stock or discontinued here.
I used to use MyUSAddress out of NY state, but I most recently used Shippsy (which has a Washington state location) and I really liked it (and it was much cheaper than shipping to NY then to AB).
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 12:22 PM   #3859
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
I used to use MyUSAddress out of NY state, but I most recently used Shippsy (which has a Washington state location) and I really liked it (and it was much cheaper than shipping to NY then to AB).
Are they reasonable for the customs and duty side of things? DYK Post's was pretty exorbitant.
Old 11-27-2022, 01:36 PM   #3860
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Are they reasonable for the customs and duty side of things? DYK Post's was pretty exorbitant.
For a $225 USD calfskin jacket, it was an additional $85.18 CAD which included mailing cost ($18.74) and handling fee ($6.99) with taxes on both ($3.09), duty (13% or $39.28), and tax on the purchase itself (5% or $17.08).
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post: