Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2018, 10:41 PM   #1201
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Why does Bennett have more upside than Jankowski? If you think Bennett has it in him to be a #1C, why wouldn't Janko also have as high a ceiling, given that he's bigger and debatably already better.

Jankowski is older than Bennett. Bennett is better than Janko was at the same age. Hence why some feel that Bennett has a higher ceiling, that plus draft position.

Hard to say though, at the moment I don’t think there is much difference between the two value-wise. Janko is less of a liability out there IMO... but I really hope Bennett puts it together. When he’s on, I really like the way he plays.
VilleN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 10:50 PM   #1202
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VilleN View Post
Jankowski is older than Bennett. Bennett is better than Janko was at the same age. Hence why some feel that Bennett has a higher ceiling, that plus draft position.

Hard to say though, at the moment I don’t think there is much difference between the two value-wise. Janko is less of a liability out there IMO... but I really hope Bennett puts it together. When he’s on, I really like the way he plays.
I don't hate what this guy is saying, and I mean he's on the same island as me, its a small place I have to agree
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MrMike For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2018, 12:08 AM   #1203
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Would you trade Jankowski for a 2nd?

Bennett is younger and has more upside. Yet, just because he was a high pick and people are disappointed that he hasn't (yet) become what they hoped, people want to dump him.

I just don't get it.
Jankowski can play center at the NHL level, while I would have to say that ship has sailed for Sam Bennett. He is not an NHL center. That much should be clear.

Bennett is younger, but he also has 241 games under his belt. There is a school of thought out there that basically says by 250 games in the NHL, you know what you have in a player. Sure there are exemptions but in most cases this is true, regardless of age.

It's also not about 'dumping' a player it's about asset management. In my view, Bennett's issues aren't who he is playing with or coaching it's that he doesn't see/think the game at a level that would indicate he can be a top 6 player in this league. Game after game he looks lost (bad penalties, plays that die on his stick, seems to lose his balance frequently). At this level, he's a third (at best)/fourth line player. Best he plays a clean game and try to stay out of the box, if he can.

It's unlikely Sam will start this season with a 15 game pointless streak because he will have better line mates than last, Ryan and Frolik I think. But what do you think fans from other teams would say? What is Sam Bennett's reputation outside of Calgary? 30 point player? 40 point player? 25 point tweener??

Hypothetically, if the Montreal Canadiens were to trade their second round pick for a former first round pick who is coming off of back to back 26 point seasons, would that not be similar to the Flames giving up a second for Lazar, or the Flames receiving a second for Baretschi? I would wager the fan base would, generally, not be enthused. I don't think any teams fan base would. The reaction would either be 'meh' or 'wtf'. Bennett is in reclamation territory, even with the Flames.

I would like like to see Sam succeed here, but it looks grim. My call is Dube is in his spot by the start of next year at the latest.

Last edited by TOfan; 08-11-2018 at 12:15 AM.
TOfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 01:35 AM   #1204
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think by November Bennett will have completed his treatment for Gulutzanitis, by the new year he should be confident and back to normal.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Snuffleupagus For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2018, 05:20 AM   #1205
Flames1217
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I see alot of posters stating that Bennett cant play center but if Janko had the same wingers that Sam did i bet he would have done no better.

Janko has a great shot but last year in my eyes Bennett drove that line. I also believe Bennett is the better defensive forward but that Janko has better awareness.

Anywho dont really want to start a debate but i camt wait and see if Bennett can finally throw up a 45 point season to put a sock in a ton pf peoples mouths.
Flames1217 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames1217 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2018, 06:53 AM   #1206
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames1217 View Post
I see alot of posters stating that Bennett cant play center but if Janko had the same wingers that Sam did i bet he would have done no better.

Janko has a great shot but last year in my eyes Bennett drove that line. I also believe Bennett is the better defensive forward but that Janko has better awareness.

Anywho dont really want to start a debate but i camt wait and see if Bennett can finally throw up a 45 point season to put a sock in a ton pf peoples mouths.
Lol. Neither of them drove any line last season. Without jagr or someone else movibg down to carry them that line was completely useless last season, hence Treliving going out and acquiring/signing two centres in the off-season.
Our third line was an enormous weak point last season and probably was one of the main reasons we missed the playoffs. Give up any hope you have of Bennett crossing 35 points unless were unfairly saddling backlund with him. Janko seems destined for 4th line centre max this year. I personally would have preferred trading both
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 07:12 AM   #1207
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

I disagree with your assessment. Curious as to why you’d want to trade Janko after a pretty successful rookie campaign... seems like that would be an odd decision from management... what would you hope to get in return that would be better? (Please don’t say 2nd round pick).
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to VilleN For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2018, 07:42 AM   #1208
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Are some posters blind to the roster they have put together!? This team isn’t currently interested in trading roster players for picks. Holy crap.

“Give me something shiny!!!!!”
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2018, 07:56 AM   #1209
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Are some posters blind to the roster they have put together!? This team isn’t currently interested in trading roster players for picks. Holy crap.

“Give me something shiny!!!!!”
Nah that's not at all what I said. Stop reading in bs to posts. I would package one (whichever the other team prefers as I highly doubt either will amount to anything worthwhile) with Brodie and upgrade our top RD position, which I now think is extremely weak. Brodie has been brutal for the last two seasons and I think trusting him to magically turn around might be Trelivings biggest and last mistake with our team.

I would look at Tampa, minny, or dare I say ottawa

Last edited by Monahammer; 08-11-2018 at 07:59 AM.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 09:09 AM   #1210
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
Nah that's not at all what I said. Stop reading in bs to posts. I would package one (whichever the other team prefers as I highly doubt either will amount to anything worthwhile) with Brodie and upgrade our top RD position, which I now think is extremely weak. Brodie has been brutal for the last two seasons and I think trusting him to magically turn around might be Trelivings biggest and last mistake with our team.

What makes you think Janko won’t amount to anything? He had a good rookie season, has size, IQ, good hands... I think he, at the very least, deserves another season to see if he can take it up a notch. I just don’t see the logic in trading away a promising young centre... we drafted him, developed him, he has shown promise during his first season... centre depth is a huge asset.
Old 08-11-2018, 09:16 AM   #1211
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:

I don’t recall mentioning your post.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 10:05 AM   #1212
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Everyone is disappointed that Sam Bennett isn't pushing Sean Monahan for the rights to anchor the top line as a center... to me that was the expected result to be honest.

It's likely not going to happen.

Can he get to a second line winger level? I think the jury is still out on that one.

- His goals/60 was up from the previous season
- His points/60 was up from the previous season
- Shot attempts/60 were up significantly
- Scoring chances/60 were up significantly

But

- his shooting percentage was off (below 4th liner levels)
- his on ice shooting percentage tanked

Now add in a better quality group of forwards and a likely boost in skill to play with him with a player that seemed to at least be turning a corner, and perhaps could have used a bounce or two and maybe just maybe he's heading back to the 40 point level instead of 25

40 points got you 145th place in forward scoring last year ... 31 teams says that's player 4.5 on the average team.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 12:51 PM   #1213
Macindoc
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Everyone is disappointed that Sam Bennett isn't pushing Sean Monahan for the rights to anchor the top line as a center... to me that was the expected result to be honest.

It's likely not going to happen.

Can he get to a second line winger level? I think the jury is still out on that one.

- His goals/60 was up from the previous season
- His points/60 was up from the previous season
- Shot attempts/60 were up significantly
- Scoring chances/60 were up significantly

But

- his shooting percentage was off (below 4th liner levels)
- his on ice shooting percentage tanked

Now add in a better quality group of forwards and a likely boost in skill to play with him with a player that seemed to at least be turning a corner, and perhaps could have used a bounce or two and maybe just maybe he's heading back to the 40 point level instead of 25

40 points got you 145th place in forward scoring last year ... 31 teams says that's player 4.5 on the average team.
His shooting percentage last year was miles off his career percentage, and this combined with his offensive zone penalties illustrates how he was trying to do everything on his line, without any significant support from linemates (shooting from anywhere, holding on to the puck too long because nobody is open in the zone to pass to). There is no reason to expect that someone of Bennett's age should be falling off a cliff. A better balance of equally skilled linemates and a regression to the mean for bad luck (goalposts etc) will hopefully result in Bennett being a 40-50 point scorer this season, which would put him in 2nd-3rd line territory, depending on the depth of the team in question.

Quote:

There is no reason to believe that Brodie and Gio will not be as good as they were under Hartley, unless Gio starts to lose a step. In any case, at his age, Brodie should still be as good on the right side as he was before. He was just never as good on the left side, and the deterioration of his performance perfectly correlates with being separated from Gio and being put on the left side.

Last edited by Macindoc; 08-12-2018 at 12:55 PM.
Macindoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 01:36 PM   #1214
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macindoc View Post
...he was trying to do everything on his line, without any significant support from linemates (shooting from anywhere, holding on to the puck too long because nobody is open in the zone to pass to).
Bennett does all that stuff regardless of who he's playing with.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 02:36 PM   #1215
Macindoc
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Bennett does all that stuff regardless of who he's playing with.
He didn't with Backlund and Frolik. He did with Janko and Hathaway/Brouwer/Jagr.

I rest my case.
Macindoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 04:01 PM   #1216
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
He didn't with Backlund and Frolik. He did with Janko and Hathaway/Brouwer/Jagr.

I rest my case.
Bennett and Jankowski would've both really benefited from a year of healthy Jagr. Had he come to camp, been in shape, and had the time to get going, instead of parachuting in last minute, Jagr could've been nearly as effective as he was in Florida.

There were nights when that trio was the best line on the team by a considerable margin, and when Jagr left, neither managed to get things back on track.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2018, 05:05 PM   #1217
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I rest my case.
Joe Colborne scored 44 points with Backlund and Frolik.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 05:25 PM   #1218
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
Joe Colborne scored 44 points with Backlund and Frolik.
Except he didn't. Of Colborne's 44 points, Backlund was in on 9 of them, Frolik was in on 5, and both being in on 3 events, meaning as a line, they contributed 1/4 of his points scored. Colborne pretty much rolled through the lineup, starting on a line with Jones and Stajan. He played with everyone was wasn't consistent with anyone that season. Bennett was in on 6, Stajan, Monahan, Hudler, and Ferland all were in on five events. Colborne got around like the flu that season.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2018, 05:34 PM   #1219
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Except he didn't. Of Colborne's 44 points, Backlund was in on 9 of them, Frolik was in on 5, and both being in on 3 events, meaning as a line, they contributed 1/4 of his points scored. Colborne pretty much rolled through the lineup, starting on a line with Jones and Stajan. He played with everyone was wasn't consistent with anyone that season. Bennett was in on 6, Stajan, Monahan, Hudler, and Ferland all were in on five events. Colborne got around like the flu that season.
And who cares who he played with ... the dude shot 19% that year. He maxed out his shots on goal that season and hit for an almost double his average shooting percentage.

Thank God Treliving didn't Bouma him.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 06:30 PM   #1220
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
And who cares who he played with ... the dude shot 19% that year. He maxed out his shots on goal that season and hit for an almost double his average shooting percentage.

Thank God Treliving didn't Bouma him.
I completely agree with you. I was just pointing out an inaccuracy that Colborne scored all those points on one line, like Backlund and Frolik were responsible for that production. They clearly were not. Colborne did it on his own, playing with every line combination imaginable, and had a unrepeatable career year. It was wise that Treliving walked away. Kudos to him for doing so.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote