Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 03-20-2021, 08:32 PM   #9441
CFO
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Flames need speed and new blood.

Joseph for Bennett.
Old 03-20-2021, 09:03 PM   #9442
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFO View Post

Joseph for Bennett.
Joseph is such new blood that I don't even know who he is.
Old 03-20-2021, 09:34 PM   #9443
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkachukwagon View Post
Another Philly loss tonight, man the Flyers look lost this season. I’m in favour of a Johnny trade to Philly (forward, prospect, pick?).

An Athletic article from Charlie OConner has player grades for the first half of the season and there are some surprisingly low grades for star players (Konecny, Provorov, Myers and Patrick with a D grade). I think there is value here in a down season and a Johnny trade could really shake up both teams.
Philly seems like a good fit. Not just because of the ever-present Gaudreau to Philly cloud that hangs over him, but they are a team with some really good players where the team is not the sum of its parts, just like the Flames.

Unless both teams completely flatline before the trade deadline, I can't see anything happening during the season. The quarantine issue would pretty much seal their non-playoff positions. As a fan, I wouldn't care because even if we make the playoffs, I don't think we make it far after that. But I doubt management would ever seal the deal before it was certain.
Old 03-20-2021, 11:02 PM   #9444
bigpete
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

It is just frustrating since this team looks good on paper, at least to me. I have to admit I'm liking the idea more and more of blowing it up this off season. Trading at least 2 of Monahan Gaudreau and Tkachuk and try to get some good young pieces back. Or trade quantity for quality. Eg. Tkachuk and Monahan for a proven star forward. Something, anything. It is becoming increasingly clear that this team needs a shakeup.
The Following User Says Thank You to bigpete For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2021, 11:30 PM   #9445
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Philly seems like a good fit. Not just because of the ever-present Gaudreau to Philly cloud that hangs over him, but they are a team with some really good players where the team is not the sum of its parts, just like the Flames.

Unless both teams completely flatline before the trade deadline, I can't see anything happening during the season. The quarantine issue would pretty much seal their non-playoff positions. As a fan, I wouldn't care because even if we make the playoffs, I don't think we make it far after that. But I doubt management would ever seal the deal before it was certain.
It's less of an issue for the Flames since Gaudreau really isn't contributing, but for the Flyers, yeah, it's probably a bigger deal.

I'm really not sure that Gaudreau should go to Philly though. Those are the toughest fans in the world. It won't matter that he is a local boy and grew up a Flyers fan. If he's not playing well, the stress, pressure and abuse he and his family will receive will be 10 times what he gets right now in Calgary. And honestly, he hasn't shown that he's able to handle stress and pressure very well.
Old 03-20-2021, 11:37 PM   #9446
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFO View Post

Joseph for Bennett.
This does #%^* all to address the lack of top-end, play driving talent on the team.

No more shuffling deck chairs on the titanic. All efforts should be turned towards reshaping the core of this team.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2021, 04:01 AM   #9447
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I posted this in the Toronto PGT. It really is incredibly sad. I watched that game from a hotel room in Halifax after midnight:

“ The decline of Monahan and Gaudreau has been nothing short of spectacular.

During the 2015 playoffs, and even after the loss to Anaheim I remember thinking we could win a cup with these guys.

JG was amazing. Remember the home game against Anaheim where he tied it with the goalie pulled and Backlund scored in OT?

That was almost five years ago. Look where we are now.”
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Manhattanboy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2021, 07:50 AM   #9448
CFO
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
This does #%^* all to address the lack of top-end, play driving talent on the team.

No more shuffling deck chairs on the titanic. All efforts should be turned towards reshaping the core of this team.
You are right. Shuffle the top only and continue to pickup garbage free agents. Gotcha.
The Following User Says Thank You to CFO For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2021, 08:46 AM   #9449
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Craig Custance’s piece in The Athletic this morning is a round of ‘who says no’ where readers text in and an NHL executive provides feedback. The last deal proposed, where the Exec says ‘we have a deal’ is JG and a second to Philadelphia for TK and a fifth.

Not necessarily a fan of the picks, but I would do it.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TOfan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2021, 09:25 AM   #9450
Tkachukwagon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

From the Athletic mailbag, re: a Gaudreau trade to Philly:

Quote:
Calgary sends Johnny Gaudreau and a second-round pick to the Flyers for Travis Konecny and a fifth-round pick. — @CashinIan

The Flames electric winger is no stranger to trade rumors, nor is the South Jersey native a stranger to being connected to the Flyers. It’s pretty clear the universe wants this to happen.

Exec: “Great one. That’s a great one. I think you have a deal. The reason is, there’s tons of room for Johnny in Philadelphia. Konecny fits into what Calgary is doing. The question to me is: Is Philly comfortable trading for Gaudreau when they have a great shot at him in free agency (in 2022)? Philly being just outside the playoffs today, this might help them get in the playoffs. The beauty is you get Johnny now and you can sign him. If they’re on the outside looking in, this is the offensive shot in the arm.”
I don’t think just Konecny is enough on his own, but I like this as the base of a deal for sure.
Old 03-21-2021, 09:29 AM   #9451
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOfan View Post
Craig Custance’s piece in The Athletic this morning is a round of ‘who says no’ where readers text in and an NHL executive provides feedback. The last deal proposed, where the Exec says ‘we have a deal’ is JG and a second to Philadelphia for TK and a fifth.

Not necessarily a fan of the picks, but I would do it.
I was thinking about this ballsy trade with the Flyers.

Monahan and Gaudreau for Konecny, Patrick and JVR.

Flames take the cap dump of JVR to get what they hope are 2 future core pieces in Konecny and Patrick.

This team is committed to Sutter hockey and I think they need to get players that better fit that system and Monahan and Gaudreau are not those players.
Old 03-21-2021, 09:43 AM   #9452
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

I still content that a deal is there with the Flyers and Gaudreau and Konecny being the principles. I agree that Konecny isn't enough to move Gaudreau, but with the cap hits I can see the argument of some balancing being needed. I think there needs to be some balance in the talent gap as well, which is why I think Philly needs to kick in a prospect to get it done, then deal with the picks to balance out the salary concern.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2021, 09:56 AM   #9453
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Do not understand the love for Patrick. Is it just his draft pedigree? He's on pace for five goals and 10 points (8 goals and 16 points in an 82 game schedule), if he plays a full season. What's worse, he's the worst player on the team for +/- at -15. He's trending to a -42 over a full 82 game season. For comparison, Konecny is +4 and JVR is +6. You gotta work at being that bad on the defensive side of the puck. With his migraine issues I would stay well away from him. Way too much risk in him as a player.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2021, 10:03 AM   #9454
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

If the 2nd can go to a first make the deal
Old 03-21-2021, 10:06 AM   #9455
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Do not understand the love for Patrick. Is it just his draft pedigree? He's on pace for five goals and 10 points (8 goals and 16 points in an 82 game schedule), if he plays a full season. What's worse, he's the worst player on the team for +/- at -15. He's trending to a -42 over a full 82 game season. For comparison, Konecny is +4 and JVR is +6. You gotta work at being that bad on the defensive side of the puck. With his migraine issues I would stay well away from him. Way too much risk in him as a player.
Plus, migraine sufferers have a hard time with Chinooks.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Rick M. For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2021, 10:11 AM   #9456
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
He was at one point viewed as a surefire #1 centre, and those are very difficult to come by. To get one right now, I think we need to take a bit of a gamble on a guy who has some warts. If we can use Gaudreau, who isn't really helping us win anyway, to get Konecny, and a shot at a possible #1 centre, that's a win for me.
Old 03-21-2021, 10:15 AM   #9457
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
I still content that a deal is there with the Flyers and Gaudreau and Konecny being the principles. I agree that Konecny isn't enough to move Gaudreau, but with the cap hits I can see the argument of some balancing being needed. I think there needs to be some balance in the talent gap as well, which is why I think Philly needs to kick in a prospect to get it done, then deal with the picks to balance out the salary concern.

The way Johnny is playing, they'd be lucky to get Konecny for him.
Next year it's even worse as he is closer to UFA
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flamesfan05 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2021, 10:18 AM   #9458
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bennett + Gaudreau for Konecny + Patrick
The Following User Says Thank You to Heavy Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2021, 10:22 AM   #9459
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Konecny has what, 4 or 5 years left at $5m?

Flames pay to get him. There will be no 1 for 1 swap here
Old 03-21-2021, 10:28 AM   #9460
Poster
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
I was thinking about this ballsy trade with the Flyers.

Flames take the cap dump of JVR to get what they hope are 2 future core pieces in Konecny and Patrick.

This team is committed to Sutter hockey and I think they need to get players that better fit that system and Monahan and Gaudreau are not those players.
JVR is on pace for 25 goals, I doubt they see him as a cap dump.

Louis Erickson is a cap dump
James Neal is a cap dump

A player in his prime on pace for 25 goals is not a cap dump.

In fact, JVR is having a better season than Johnny and is the more all around player too. Flames homer glasses calling JVR a cap dump.

Last edited by Poster; 03-21-2021 at 10:32 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Poster For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread