Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2018, 12:30 AM   #981
sl888
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Anyone know where I can find those 4:25 bars?
sl888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 01:24 AM   #982
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have experimented with pot a lot, but I don't do it often. It just isn't for me, but I am 100% for the legalization.

But one thing that bothers me is when people without any expertise "prescribe" it for people with anxiety. It's true that it can help some people with occasional anxiety, but for people with actual anxiety disorders, it often does the opposite. It's a sad irony and people with diagnosed anxiety disorders (like myself) should talk to a doctor and not rely on anecdotal opinions. It can make the parts of the brain that release chemicals that cause anxiety or balance (or cause an imbalance in) serotonin even more active in some people. Reading some of the posts in this thread that recommend certain strains to people who are truly desperate for anxiety relief makes me a little upset.

Here is a good write up on it:

https://tonic.vice.com/en_us/article...or-some-people

Quote:
However, there’s another reason why people might feel anxious while stoned, even long after their first time. THC binds to the brain’s cannabinoid receptors, releasing the neurotransmitters dopamine, serotonin, and GABA, a neurotransmitter that stops neurons from firing, Giordano explains. Increased GABA and serotonin activity inhibits norepinephrine—a neurotransmitter involved in alertness and anxiety—which calms most people down.

But for some people, reduced norepinephrine has a rebound effect, stimulating activity in the brainstem’s locus ceruleus and limbic forebrain, which are involved in arousal and excitation, Giordano says. This activity in turn sends the sympathetic nervous system into overdrive, leading to a rise in heart rate and release of cortisol, which we tend to perceive as anxiety.

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 10-26-2018 at 01:39 AM.
FlamesAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FlamesAddiction For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2018, 07:47 AM   #983
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
It’s funny how in all the years I’ve lived in my building, with the smell of pot being a regular thing, it’s only recently that the 70 year old woman on our condo board got a bug up her ass about it. I actually like her, and she’s normally reasonable, but people of a certain age definitely don’t like change.
Is it a non-smoking building? Personally, I wouldn't give a crap, but I'm not sure why we'd expect people to be more tolerant of the smell of pot than the smell of cigarettes.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 07:53 AM   #984
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Quote:
However, there’s another reason why people might feel anxious while stoned, even long after their first time. THC binds to the brain’s cannabinoid receptors, releasing the neurotransmitters dopamine, serotonin, and GABA, a neurotransmitter that stops neurons from firing, Giordano explains. Increased GABA and serotonin activity inhibits norepinephrine—a neurotransmitter involved in alertness and anxiety—which calms most people down.

But for some people, reduced norepinephrine has a rebound effect, stimulating activity in the brainstem’s locus ceruleus and limbic forebrain, which are involved in arousal and excitation, Giordano says. This activity in turn sends the sympathetic nervous system into overdrive, leading to a rise in heart rate and release of cortisol, which we tend to perceive as anxiety.
Gio does it all!
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 08:26 AM   #985
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I have experimented with pot a lot, but I don't do it often. It just isn't for me, but I am 100% for the legalization.

But one thing that bothers me is when people without any expertise "prescribe" it for people with anxiety. It's true that it can help some people with occasional anxiety, but for people with actual anxiety disorders, it often does the opposite. It's a sad irony and people with diagnosed anxiety disorders (like myself) should talk to a doctor and not rely on anecdotal opinions. It can make the parts of the brain that release chemicals that cause anxiety or balance (or cause an imbalance in) serotonin even more active in some people. Reading some of the posts in this thread that recommend certain strains to people who are truly desperate for anxiety relief makes me a little upset.

I agree, I feel like CBD oil is the new 'snake oil' and is going to take over essential oils for its magical ability to fix all maladies.
puckedoff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to puckedoff For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2018, 08:42 AM   #986
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Is it a non-smoking building? Personally, I wouldn't give a crap, but I'm not sure why we'd expect people to be more tolerant of the smell of pot than the smell of cigarettes.
It’s not but we’re looking at changing the bylaws. I don’t like the smell either but it’s silly how sensitive certain people suddenly get when it’s in the news.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 08:49 AM   #987
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post

OK so a couple things.

You don't want anecdotal evidence, yet you linked to an article filled with it. Guy had a panic attack after buying street weed rice krispies, which could have been made from ANYTHING. Now I'm not saying it may have been laced with something, but what I am saying is that the strain used is completely unknown. No kidding he had a panic attack, he had no clue what dosage was in it, or what type of marijuana they used. The probability of me buying street cookies is exactly zero.

It also goes into scientific detail regarding what CAN happen (and I agree with it), but again what are they using? "Weed" is a very general term. Terpenes are what makes up strains, and is what controls their effects on people. Are there strains that cause anxiety? YES. Are there strains that help it? Also 1000% YES.

Reading your post it seems like you want people to leave it in the hands of the professionals. If you know of a medical professional that prescribes marijuana based on its terpene profiles I would like to know about them. I would also like to see research done in this area. I can probably save you a lot of time though, because it doesn't exist (I've been looking). Doctors I have dealt with really have no clue......in fact they take the same approach that they take when prescribing pills, which is more or less trial and error until you get the brand and dosage right, then carry on from there. I watch my wife go through this almost every month with our family doctor. Ativan, pristiq, etc etc she has about 5 different prescriptions going at any given time depending on symptoms. It's no different that what I was advocating in my earlier posts, except it's a lot cheaper and you aren't swallowing pills all day. I don't have all the answers, but we have gone through HUNDREDS of strains looking for them so I would hope maybe I learned something in my (our) drug induced haze.

It's not perfect, but thanks to the US and their war on drugs, little to no research has been done in this area so really it's all we have. Hopefully that changes, because we are really just scratching the surface of it's capabilities. Until there is scientific research done on terpene profiles, what they do and how they do it, there is no "medical professional" that can prescribe marijuana effectively to cure anxiety (or any other disorder really). In fact, almost every doctor I have encountered (which is quite a few) really has no clue, other than anecdotal evidence from guys like me, and simply writes a prescription expecting you (or me) to figure it out.

I can understand your frustration. I have family members with CRIPPLING anxiety, depression and suicidal thoughts and tendencies. It's with these people though that we are trying to find strains that help with their conditions, and so far we have been pretty successful with it. Are we scientists? Hell no. We are just a group of guys who like the weed for various reasons, and if I can help someone get a good nights rest or get through their day a little easier then I'm going to do it. I really do believe that there is a strain for everyone, if for no other reason than simple math. There are endless combinations of profiles you can engineer with terpene extracts, and it's only a matter of time before someone with a heck of a lot more time and money than me figures it out.

Anyway, TL,DR don't dismiss it until you drill into it a bit more. It's waaaayyyy more complicated than what is in the article you posted.

Last edited by Tron_fdc; 10-26-2018 at 08:54 AM.
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Tron_fdc For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2018, 11:54 AM   #988
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

^Tron_fdc: do you care to share the info you and your group has compiled?
cral12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 01:32 PM   #989
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

I could, yes. But I have to put a bunch of journals together. Lots of scribbles in them lol

Let me see what I can come up with.

In the meantime go poke around here

https://buy-terpenes.com/learn/

This is what 99% of the guys selling MOM vape pens are using. So anyone shopping online should read up on what you are buying.
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tron_fdc For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2018, 01:34 PM   #990
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Would it be worth checking out any stores this afternoon? Or is it still slim pickins out there?
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 02:10 PM   #991
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
Would it be worth checking out any stores this afternoon? Or is it still slim pickins out there?
Slim pickins and long lines when I went yesterday.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2018, 02:19 PM   #992
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sl888 View Post
I see them at 7/11 pretty regularly. The one in Braeside anyways.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 02:23 PM   #993
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sl888 View Post
Dollarama. Cheap, too, $0.89 a piece.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 03:47 PM   #994
Timbo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
Slim pickins and long lines when I went yesterday.
I walked right into 420 this afternoon. No line ups at all and they were resupplied.
Nova Cannabis was lined up.
Timbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 05:50 PM   #995
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The prices at 420 are probably why there’s a line at Nova.
81MC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 05:55 PM   #996
daaznfob
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
The prices at 420 are probably why there’s a line at Nova.
How bad are the prices?

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk
daaznfob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 05:55 PM   #997
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron_fdc View Post
OK so a couple things.

You don't want anecdotal evidence, yet you linked to an article filled with it. Guy had a panic attack after buying street weed rice krispies, which could have been made from ANYTHING. Now I'm not saying it may have been laced with something, but what I am saying is that the strain used is completely unknown. No kidding he had a panic attack, he had no clue what dosage was in it, or what type of marijuana they used. The probability of me buying street cookies is exactly zero.

I don't know if you read the whole thing, but the anecdotes were backed up by a professor of neurology and biochemistry at Georgetown University Medical Center. There was science presented as well.

Regardless, I think it's reckless other than a doctor or pharmacist to recommend a drug to treat a serious condition. No one knows how they will react. It's like telling someone who is sad to have a couple of drinks; it could help relax them, but if the person has clinical depression, it could have a negative effect. Anxiety is similar in that respect. Some people who live with anxiety should steer clear of pot.

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 10-27-2018 at 02:39 PM.
FlamesAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlamesAddiction For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2018, 05:57 PM   #998
8 Ball
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Can you fly within Canada with weed?
8 Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 06:05 PM   #999
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 Ball View Post
Can you fly within Canada with weed?
Yes. 30g limit.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 06:18 PM   #1000
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
Co-op Cannabis, 7-8720 Macleod Trail SE.

Went there last night with a buddy to check it out. No long line-ups, good amounts of inventory where dry herb is concerned. They don't have any oils yet but they're expecting some in the coming week. They also sell plenty of accessories; grinders, vapes, glassware... they even sell the Smoke Buddy. Still has a very "we've only been open for two days" feel to it, but a nice store nonetheless.

It was hilarious to walk out of the store, look down at the receipt, and see 'CO-OP' at the top of a receipt for having just purchased weed.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post: